Cycle World Show - Dallas - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:01 am Thread Starter
Bouncer

Cycle World Show - Dallas

Well, I think I'm done with this show. It's been 3 years since this show was worth a damn -- at least for the DFW event.

Thank God we drove over in Kirk's car, as the motorcycle parking was a nightmare. I met a couple who tried to park their motorcycle in the lots across the street, only to be told if they didn't move their motorcycle, the police would be called. I guess the city owned lots across from the convention center do not allow motorcycle parking.

This year's event seemed cramped and scattered. Some booths where set up very nicely, and others seemed to be just thrown together willy-nilly. For example, the Yamaha booth was chaotic; however, their booth for the Star Line of Yamaha motorcycles was really a nice setup. Also, instead of the small vendors all being on one location on either side of the show, they were scattered throughout the venue.

In talking with many of the vendors, they seemed to be disappointed in the turnout for this year's event. Considering it was scheduled in Ft Worth (away from the mass transit offered by DART and TRE), parking was a nightmare, and it was scheduled on the first weekend of deer season, and NASCAR weekend, I think the numbers were way off from last year.

On the plus side, I ran into several of our vendors from CCR 2005. Mansoor from Roadgear. Marilyn from Now Hear This. Aaron from Legal Speeding. And the guy from Belstaff. All are looking forward to attending CCR 2006. I also ran into the Baehr rep (he say to say "Hi" Raffy), and I hope they will be at CCR 2006 as a vendor.

Anyway, I hope the show in Houston (and other cities) is better than the one in Dallas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:47 am

I have to agree with you.....we had to park on the sidewalk. Made it easy getting out though.
If you wanted sunglasses there were several vendors hawking them but if you wanted riding jackets other than leather you were pretty much out of luck. I did like the Belstaff but it was so heavy I doubt I would ever wear it unless I went to Alaska...in the winter.
My wife decided a Ural with a side car would be fun....might have to get one of those but I'd have to get 2 wheel drive.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
post #3 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2005, 2:14 pm

MC Show

Jeff and Bob,

I have to agree with you two on your observations.

The event just does not seem to have the same flair it had 3 years ago. It did not seem to have as many vendors and the ones there did not seems to have a lot going for them. That is unless you wanted sun glasses, chamois, wire strippers, comm systems (could purchase but no installation). Lots of room for the manufacturers which Suzuki and Yamaha took up their fair share.

Bruce
Rowlett, TX
2010 Gold Wing
'00 Canyon Red - Sold

post #4 of 14 Old Nov 7th, 2005, 11:23 pm

It was my first time to attend. I will have to say I will not be going back. I was really disappointed.

I parked on the sidewalk as well... but I didn't have to walk very far
post #5 of 14 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 12:41 am

And here I figured it was due to my hangover. I was in the cage dragging along the wife and kids, parking was an issue, and I think they were ready to go when we got there. The wife did check out the big scooters.

Jason Spates
Keller, Tejas, Earth
'03 K1200LTC Impala Brown (RIP)

Driving a car is like watching TV and riding a motorcycle is like watching an IMAX, except with wind.
post #6 of 14 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 12:40 pm

Well sorry to hear the show wasn't quite up to snuff but be happy you still get it there. We've only had one show in Phoenix. One. Showed one time, never again. Have no idea why however I'm sure it was monetary.

Still pissed...

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #7 of 14 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 1:20 pm

Doesn't sound like the same show that they bring through Cleveland, that's for sure. And at our convention facility called 'The IX Center', parking is not a problem...for cagers or bikers. Especially if you're one of the few that actually ride to the event at the end of January here in Cleveland.
post #8 of 14 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 1:34 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

It wasn't a problem the past several years when it was at the Dallas Convention Center. All the city owned pay parking was set up as free parking for motorcycles.

It just seems that the move to Ft Worth by the promoters of the Cycle World Show was haphazard and short sighted. I believe they thought they could capitalize on the NASCAR weekend in Ft Worth. The problem is that those 250,000 people were at the track and not at the convention center.

Based on the numbers I've been told regarding this year's attendance, and being the 3rd straight year of declining attendance, I am betting that the show won't be in Dallas or Ft Worth next year.

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #9 of 14 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 1:35 pm

All I've read here just echo's my same sentiments.

I went to the show Friday evening. Motorcycle parking was on the sidewalk close to the door. At least that part was easy.

I don't remember it costing $12 to get in the door in years gone by, but the last 2 years I've worked a booth so maybe it was. Anyway, $12 bucks seemed kinda steep. I felt it was worth maybe $6 bucks. Might have been worth $12 if they were allowing test rides, but they don't do that at shows now do they.

The show seemed smaller than ever this year. Even the BMW display. While they had a lot of real estate, I think they had 9 of their bike represented and that's if you make the distinction between a GS and a GS Dakar (F650).

In short... I walked around for about 2 hours, and when I found myself looking at all the same stuff twice, I left.

All was not lost... I did buy ,myself a new pair of gloves.

Bill B.

2000 K1200LTC - Mighty Matilda
2003 KLR650

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't.

post #10 of 14 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 1:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly
In short... I walked around for about 2 hours, and when I found myself looking at all the same stuff twice, I left.
Last year, I spent about 6 hours at the Cleveland show, and that wasn't enough. This year, I'm allotting the whole day for it. Boy, I hope I'm not disappointed as well...
post #11 of 14 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 2:53 pm

I went once to the Dallas MC show. Won't go again. It's small, and some OEM's don't consider it big enough to bring all the most current product out at. Blah....
post #12 of 14 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 4:01 pm

I was disappointed that I didn't see more local dealership involvement, Yam/Suz of TX was there but no BMW of FW, I didn't see too many other local dealers. Maybe it's just me but a show like this, the locals (dealers) should be out in force. IMHO the BMW booth should have been flanked by the Plano and Hurst dealers to take care of sales. I was suprised that after an hour, we started to repeat what we had already seen and at $12 per person, paying for four dented my wallet pretty good. I guess I just expected more.

Jason Spates
Keller, Tejas, Earth
'03 K1200LTC Impala Brown (RIP)

Driving a car is like watching TV and riding a motorcycle is like watching an IMAX, except with wind.
post #13 of 14 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 4:56 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

BMW of North Dallas and BMW of Oklahoma were there in pretty good force. I did not see anyone from BMW of Ft Worth, but I would expect they would be there. That is the case, unless the rumors are true, that BMW of Ft Worth has been sold to the owner of the North Houston BMW Dealer and is relocating to Grapevine. Also, BMW doesn't use their booth for local sales, and in previous years (because I am not aware of this year's rules) it was against show policy for the manufacturers to solicit business in the OEM booths. It was interesting to note that BMW did not bring the apparel truck.

-
post #14 of 14 Old Nov 10th, 2005, 12:58 am
Cat Herder

Garage
Long Beach or Bust

Thanks guys for all the details about the Dallas show. Members from our club in Las Vegas are planning on heading to Long Beach to check out this years show. But, after reading you comments, I think I might past if the show is that bad.... on a positive note we got ticket for $10 instead of $12!!!

Tvguy

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in