Looking for Oklahoman 1200 LT Riders - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 4th, 2018, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Looking for Oklahoman 1200 LT Riders

Greetings, new poster, trying to get to 15 so I can PM with Saddleman but also looking for perspective on possibly picking up a 2003 LT with 20k on it but nebulous maintenance records. Currently in Eurotek BMW in OKC being looked at and I am back and forth on whether the dreaded FD failure and clutch contamination issues are magnified in my head or does every other bike break from the sound of it. Right now riding a jewel of a 05 R1150RT but attracted to more space, the K motor and CRUISE, lol.
I am also going to post a few fillers so I can become more approachable, thanks

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 4th, 2018, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Re: Looking for Oklahoman 1200 LT Riders

I have to admit I was unaware of the trials and tribs of the 1200 LT until I started researching them over the weekend when I discovered this bike was available. Then I found the FD failure thread and the registry...wow...I am not made of money so the idea of that looming in the future has me in a spot of indecision.

Oklahoma City, OK. 2003 K1200 LT. "Remember men, if the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy." Red Green
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 4th, 2018, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I know a couple of people who just loved theirs and never experienced any flaws in the time they had theirs.

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 4th, 2018, 9:45 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I did have a bigger bike in the 80s, a Suzuki Cavalcade however it doesn't strike me as heavy as the LT. I may have to start doing leg presses again and I hope my 21 year old brain isn't trying to write a check my 61 year old knees can't cash .

post #5 of 11 Old Sep 4th, 2018, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

Garage

2003 seems right in the middle of the bad years, so to speak. Is it inevitable a 2003 will smoke the FD or suffer one of the other maladies? I talked to the BMW mechanic this evening here and he said he knew how to rebuild the FDs but he thought it didn't make much difference since they seemed to come back a year or so later broken again. I mentioned the re-shimming and he said the incidence drops a lot once getting into the 2004 and later...great and the one I am looking at is a 2003, lol

post #6 of 11 Old Sep 4th, 2018, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

Garage

This is embarrassing but I need to PM with Saddleman

post #7 of 11 Old Sep 4th, 2018, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Mike from OKC are you out there? This is Rick, we emailed last night

post #8 of 11 Old Sep 4th, 2018, 9:53 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Anyway, would be interested in hearing perspective if anyone was in the same situation and it turned out well. I have read several threads that have no mention of catastrophe.

post #9 of 11 Old Sep 5th, 2018, 12:30 pm

I am on my second LT. I purchased my first, a 2002, with 32,000 miles. Ran like a dream. I developed an electrical issue possibly of my own doing and ended up having a fire that burned the wiring harness. After an insurance settlement, I shopped around for a replacement. Bike number two is a 2004. It had 66,000 miles when purchased and I have now recently hit 118,000. At about 93,000 I did have a final drive failure. Thanks to the guys on this forum, I was able to get the FD repaired by Saddleman. Looking back to 3-4 years ago when that happened, it really wasn't all that difficult of a project. If you view the sticky at the top of the LT thread showing the weep hole drilling, you can see what is involved. The other major I did was replace brake lines. That is something that should be done with ANY bike from the era, not just an LT.
NOTE: One thing that I can not overlook is that my FD failure happened only 40 miles from home and it was not an issue getting the bike into my garage to start the repair. Everything would have much more difficult for me if I had been in the Smokies or Rockies.

My point in all of this is that depending on your level of mechanical aptitude, go for it. It's a fantastic bike. I would do it all over again.

View this video from one of our gurus here.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 9th, 2018, 1:59 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
I am on my second LT. I purchased my first, a 2002, with 32,000 miles. Ran like a dream. I developed an electrical issue possibly of my own doing and ended up having a fire that burned the wiring harness. After an insurance settlement, I shopped around for a replacement. Bike number two is a 2004. It had 66,000 miles when purchased and I have now recently hit 118,000. At about 93,000 I did have a final drive failure. Thanks to the guys on this forum, I was able to get the FD repaired by Saddleman. Looking back to 3-4 years ago when that happened, it really wasn't all that difficult of a project. If you view the sticky at the top of the LT thread showing the weep hole drilling, you can see what is involved. The other major I did was replace brake lines. That is something that should be done with ANY bike from the era, not just an LT.
NOTE: One thing that I can not overlook is that my FD failure happened only 40 miles from home and it was not an issue getting the bike into my garage to start the repair. Everything would have much more difficult for me if I had been in the Smokies or Rockies.

My point in all of this is that depending on your level of mechanical aptitude, go for it. It's a fantastic bike. I would do it all over again.

View this video from one of our gurus here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zbIEL8sU-I
Hey Munmi, thanks! I spent days watching Kirk do his Illinois BMW magic on youtube , what a resource! Saddleman and I had a PM convo and I have a pretty clear idea how to proceed. The FD seems solid, doesn't get hot when I ride it at highway speeds so hoping that will be a longer term consideration. The ONLY thing about this bike which I have decided to get is the throttle, significantly heavier operation than my RT's. At the moment I forget which style was on the one I rode today but will find out. I have the brake lines and flush already scheduled as the first of one or two main items once I get the bike home. Later!

post #11 of 11 Old Sep 19th, 2018, 1:45 am Thread Starter

Garage

So I have had the bike for a week, put a few miles on it, trying to get some maint out of the way before any meaningful miles. Back to sorting out where people live in this region, I am in the OKC area, go to New Mexico a lot to see in-laws, Texas now and then, although it may be time to ride some Hill Country when it cools off a bit .

Last trip was to Eureka Springs, nice place, imagine it is pretty during Christmas season? Anyway, let me know if you are in the general vicinity. I meet several every few Saturdays at Eurotek BMW but for some reason there aren't so many around here since I got off the ADVRider forum for R bikes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in