• 1 Post By BennyBob
  • 1 Post By kbob12
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By SoberBiker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Jan 7th, 2018, 4:47 pm Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Time To Say Goodbye

After over 45 years and several hundred thousand of miles riding it is with a sad heart that I must say goodbye to riding. Back in the late 70's I had a major motorcycle accident that kept me in the hospital a few weeks with skin graphs and surgeries. Fast forward to now and those old injuries are coming back to haunt me along with arthritis in my right hand making very painful to work the throttle so I've decided to sell the K1600GTL and retire from riding.

I'll be moving on to a 2 seater convertible roadster possibly a Saturn Sky (a car I've always liked the looks of) The bike will be going to my local dealer this week and they will either buy it out right (if the price is right) or put it on consignment and sell it for me.

I've made so many great friends through the bikes I've had that I will always keep in touch with and will stop in here from time to time to see how everyone is doing. So I guess it's not really goodbye but till we met again. If you see a wild eyed, gray haired old man in a little roadster chasing you down on a curve road it might just be me.

Stevie Shreeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jan 7th, 2018, 6:42 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Time To Say Goodbye

I'm riding a lot less these days. Some of my old injuries from 35 plus years ago are starting to bother me more & more.
BennyBob and katnapinn like this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old Jan 7th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Sorry to see you go, but totally understand your issues. We will miss your valuable input on peoples issues with their LTís.
katnapinn likes this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old Jan 7th, 2018, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
Sorry to see you go, but totally understand your issues. We will miss your valuable input on peoples issues with their LTís.
I'll always hang around here. It's been part of my morning routine way to long to stop now.
Patric, Munmi and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 25 Old Jan 8th, 2018, 7:43 am

A tough call I'm sure, Steve, but I respect you for making it. Good luck with everything in the future.

I sure appreciated your and Sammie's hospitality when I was living/working in NOLA, joining you for some of your local club's weekend RTEs. Maybe they'll let you continue to attend if you park out back.
katnapinn likes this.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

post #6 of 25 Old Jan 10th, 2018, 10:54 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear that Steve, some of us put on a few pounds as we age and others just add a few wheels

I really enjoy my BMW 330ci convertible and at one time I had my eye on a Sky back in 97 but got the a used SC2 instead. Had a good time with it for several years. I know we will still be seeing you around the area. Good Luck my friend.
katnapinn and loansumrider like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 25 Old Jan 19th, 2018, 4:48 pm

I understand...sorry to so you go

any specialty tools you want to get rid of

Jim
katnapinn likes this.

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #8 of 25 Old Jan 20th, 2018, 6:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loansumrider View Post
I understand...sorry to so you go

any specialty tools you want to get rid of

Jim
Now would be the time for you to upgrade that old LT fo a better bike.

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 25 Old Jan 20th, 2018, 6:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

It's a tough decision Steve and I've wondered how or under what circumstances I'll have to consider it. Most all of my major trips are 2-up and I don't want to jeopardize my wife's safety nor mine.

Quite a few of our local club's members are in the 70's and we enjoy weekly RTE's after a breakfast meeting. More recently one or two will just come to breakfast and not that the 2-3 hour journey on the back roads of Ohio and Pennsylvania.

I understand the pain and discomfort but you have created so many great memories that will take you into the future.

Ride on . . . on four wheels!
hschisler and katnapinn like this.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #10 of 25 Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 4:22 pm

Stevie you just come on however many wheels you need (a wheelchair has 2) ha ha. We aren't just about bikes - you are one of the gang just show up in your wheels.
katnapinn likes this.

PiePrincess a/k/a Gina

Garland, Texas
Prior Harley Roadking passenger (Sold 2010)

2005 Harley Ultra Crash Tester
(Sold 2015)
2014 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic CVO passenger
post #11 of 25 Old Jan 26th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
Now would be the time for you to upgrade that old LT fo a better bike.
the bike is like an old friend....she is on the operating table now...rear seal....we will see how she and I fair..
katnapinn likes this.

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #12 of 25 Old Jan 27th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Smile Re: Time To Say Goodbye

Had this conversation recently with an old riding friend. I voiced that either "we make the decision or the decision gets made for us".
As long as I feel "safe" I will continue managing my risk, barring medical issues - but I see the end coming with over 46 successful years of continual riding.
Tic, Tic, Tic. Raising a glass to us all who share being both lucky and good riders at the same time. Smile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6Dec Manchester Ride.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	137737  
ibbones, katnapinn and PMitchell like this.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #13 of 25 Old Jan 28th, 2018, 7:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog View Post
Had this conversation recently with an old riding friend. I voiced that either "we make the decision or the decision gets made for us".
As long as I feel "safe" I will continue managing my risk, barring medical issues - but I see the end coming with over 46 successful years of continual riding.
Tic, Tic, Tic. Raising a glass to us all who share being both lucky and good riders at the same time. Smile.
Amen to that brother. For my it's more of a safety issue since I only have about half of the grip strength in my right hand as I had a year or two ago. I've been struggling with this decision for about 2 years now but my and my wive's safety is more important to me then 2 wheels of fun. I want to go out on my terms not someone else.

On a good note I did pick up this little beauty yesterday so I'll still be hitting the great roads this great country has.

Info Here
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	26994320_2022564454428244_5054513201576213957_n.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	137745  

Stevie Shreeve
post #14 of 25 Old Jan 28th, 2018, 10:34 am
just a guy

Hi Steve, I think you made a wise choice with the Miata. Should be way better than the Saturn. Much more reliable, support etc. I hope it treats you well. They are such a joy to drive.
I've had a few bounce tests over the years,and the after affects are slowing me down too. Will be sending good thoughts your way!
all the best,
Mike
katnapinn likes this.
post #15 of 25 Old Jan 28th, 2018, 2:08 pm

Quote:
Amen to that brother. For my it's more of a safety issue since I only have about half of the grip strength in my right hand as I had a year or two ago. I've been struggling with this decision for about 2 years now but my and my wive's safety is more important to me then 2 wheels of fun. I want to go out on my terms not someone else.

On a good note I did pick up this little beauty yesterday so I'll still be hitting the great roads this great country has.

Info Here
*Funny, I have been saying lately my next motorcycle is going to be a new C7 stick shift Corvette!! I am attracted to the Miata for the same reasons but more comfortable in the Vette.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 2.26.00 PM.png
Views:	71
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	137769  
katnapinn likes this.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #16 of 25 Old Jan 28th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I'm riding a lot less these days. Some of my old injuries from 35 plus years ago are starting to bother me more & more.

No sh*t....

You're not the only one.
post #17 of 25 Old Feb 4th, 2018, 6:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbxchris View Post
No sh*t....

You're not the only one.
Yeah, My knees are killing me and Houston freeways are not fun anymore.
Doc won't do surgery until I drop a bunch of wt.

Dan
katnapinn likes this.
post #18 of 25 Old Mar 9th, 2018, 6:31 am Thread Starter

Well the deed is done Ernie and Pauline flew in last weekend and road off on the old girl on Monday. Sammie & I showed them around the Texas Hill Country on Sunday to get use to the bike. They were on GTL following us in the Miata. Here are 2 picks, one with Ernie at my go to picture spot at the old Driftwood store and one of me having a change of heart and wanting the bike back.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	28576470_2072427959441893_2313618209336352056_n.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	140497   Click image for larger version

Name:	28471905_2071101009574588_7177195265235756828_n.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	140505  
ibbones likes this.

Stevie Shreeve
post #19 of 25 Old Mar 9th, 2018, 6:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Sorry to see anyone have to leave riding. Good luck to all.
katnapinn likes this.
post #20 of 25 Old Jul 18th, 2018, 5:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hate to see you give up riding, Stevie, but I understand. I don't get out as much as I used to although, I seem to feel better when I get back than when I started. But I definitely can't ride as many miles at a time. Hey, PP what say we get a RTE (or DTE for Steve)? No matter how old we get, pie is still the answer!
katnapinn likes this.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #21 of 25 Old Jul 18th, 2018, 8:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
After over 45 years and several hundred thousand of miles riding it is with a sad heart that I must say goodbye to riding. Back in the late 70's I had a major motorcycle accident that kept me in the hospital a few weeks with skin graphs and surgeries. Fast forward to now and those old injuries are coming back to haunt me along with arthritis in my right hand making very painful to work the throttle so I've decided to sell the K1600GTL and retire from riding.

I'll be moving on to a 2 seater convertible roadster possibly a Saturn Sky (a car I've always liked the looks of) The bike will be going to my local dealer this week and they will either buy it out right (if the price is right) or put it on consignment and sell it for me.

I've made so many great friends through the bikes I've had that I will always keep in touch with and will stop in here from time to time to see how everyone is doing. So I guess it's not really goodbye but till we met again. If you see a wild eyed, gray haired old man in a little roadster chasing you down on a curve road it might just be me.
Good luck with your new adventures! Many of us can relate. I bought a convertible hoping it would ease the pain.
I quit riding a while back after cranking out 30,000 miles year after year after year... and, I recently got back on the road when my health has improved enough to enjoy the ride... for now, the convertible stays in the garage and I am back riding gratefully!

Cheers to all you do!
katnapinn likes this.

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #22 of 25 Old Jul 18th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Perfect replacement, MX5, Keep rolling. beech
(I just bought a Subaru WRX to help make the transition )
katnapinn likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #23 of 25 Old Nov 12th, 2018, 9:49 am

Just got back on the site Steve and saw this post (From your profile) I completely understand the move to 4 wheels! Have to say I've considered that option myself. Just purchased a 2018 K1600BGA and it has renewed my lust for 2 wheels! Hopefully we'll see each other again and if you're in the Northern Indiana region, give me a shout.

Happy adventures my friend.
katnapinn likes this.

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

post #24 of 25 Old Nov 24th, 2018, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberBiker View Post
Just got back on the site Steve and saw this post (From your profile) I completely understand the move to 4 wheels! Have to say I've considered that option myself. Just purchased a 2018 K1600BGA and it has renewed my lust for 2 wheels! Hopefully we'll see each other again and if you're in the Northern Indiana region, give me a shout.

Happy adventures my friend.
Thanks my brother, BTW nice new ride. Enjoy the "B"

Stevie Shreeve
post #25 of 25 Old Nov 24th, 2018, 11:28 pm

Dan, move on to a new doctor. How can you get out and walk (loose some weight and feel good walking) if your knees are killing you. Chicken and the egg thing, no vision by that doctor. I am on the border line too for rides. Want to go to Utah for a two week trip next summer but I wake up in the morning thinking that I'm glad I'm not 4 days away from home. Sad state of affairs for many of us. A little hyjack, my knee was terrible for years. One day I could not walk from my garage to the house. Went in and said this is it. New Knee and all is so much better. A pal had both done at once worked out well. Go for it. We need all the tricks to keep riding. I told my knee doctor that I rode and needed plenty of degrees of bend when all said and done. He came through. No problem on the bikes. I am enjoying my WRX though.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in