Write up on Jeff's tech session In Austin - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Write up on Jeff's tech session In Austin

LT’s Tech session in Austin

It is Sunday afternoon, while watching the NASCAR race I will try to get my words on paper from the LT Garage session in Austin Texas. This session started with Russ asking Dick if they could get together for a LT tech session. Russ had just turn 24K on his 2005 Black Beauty, as well as my 2006 was due a valve check. I hijacked the thread by replying that we could use a garage with bike-lift from a friend I know. The friend, Dave Tuntland agreed to open his garage and home for the tech session. So I started the thread for the LT session to be scheduled on Saturday the 16th, after I returned from Labor Day vacation. I checked the forum and was surprised that ten people had responded. With this many responses, I stopped by the day before to help clean up the garage and stock the kitchen for the bikers.

Saturday morning I arrived at 7:30 am to start the coffee. By 8:00 am. the first bike was on the lift. The tech session was off on time. Before 9 am it is getting too hot so we closed the doors and cranked down the temperature on the air-conditioning. I took a quick count and there are eight LT’s parked in the driveway.

Steve showed up in his cage before 8am. We start chatting and I found out that he is waiting for a bike shop to open to replace the front tire. This is due to the flat he had earlier this morning. Dave heard him and told Steve “Get your tire and we will mount it.” Steve goes and retrieves his wheel and tire and returns asking Dave where his tire machine was? Dave says, “You’re looking at him.” They both get down on the floor and the next thing you know, Steve’s off in his cage with his new tire mounted. This way, Steve could go get his bike back in time for a 24K service. Steve returns and guess what? Steve told Dave the incorrect way the wheel turns. So, off comes the front tire again. While Dave and Brian hit the floor for another tire swap. Brian from Lakeway showed up at 8:30 and mentioned to me at 5pm that he had told his wife he would be home by noon. You know where to have fun when it is hard to leave the party. Thank you! Brian for hanging in there all day, and the lesson on greasing the shifter linkage. I gave Brian a set of BMW valve caps for his tires one of the door prizes.

Doug Turner from Boerne rode in with Russ, They also picked up Dave from Driftwood. I turn around from working on my bike to ask Russ how to get the plastic off and Russ’s bike is already NAKED… Darn missed another lesson. Russ stripped his bike very quickly and is working on the valves already by 9:30.

Bones of Victoria and Dan Martin from Houston are getting into the HID light discussion. By ten o’clock, the garage is full and my worries are gone. Everyone has some way of contributing their knowledge with helping hands. I was amazed to see this many bikers work so well together. The state of Texas where I work could learn from these guys!

“CFELL” assisted me in measuring my valve clearance. I could do it myself if my left arm would cooperate (cramp, cramp, cramp). The feeler gauges and I are fighting. Finally all measurements are within specs! YEAH! We get my bike back together and it is getting close to noon. Dave smoked his delicious beer martining chickens for lunch. As I take a break for lunch I now counted eleven LT’s. John and “Straw Boss” Jan show up to help for their second time. They had stopped by earlier. John decides to install a HID so off they go to get more cold drinks and his Blue 2002 for a new HID light.

Kevin Phelan showed up from the Hill Country BMW Riders. Kevin and I got to catch up on the BMW F650 tech session. Amazing how much they did at their session. I was not aware of how much you could do on a F650. . Sorry Kevin we did not finish our discussion about you 6K-mile vacation (next time).

By 2 PM we completed Russ’s and my valve adjustments. Steve’s bike is almost done and Bones is waiting to move his into the garage. As the bikes get shuffled most of the gang departs for more fun riding their bikes.

Dan Baur showed up with his 2003 shortly after most the bikes left. He was upset he missed all the guys (next time dude). Steve’s got blood changed in his brake lines thanks to Channing. I have missed most your names and stories, so next time we will have nametags. As we move my bike off the lift to make room for Dan’s we almost dropped her. John and Jan returned for the third time with cold drinks. It is getting close to six. What happened to the time…YIKES! I am late for the MSET appreciation dinner for working EMS at the ROT rally. There was still Dan Martin, John & Jan, Steve, Dan Baur, and Bones working in the garage. I said my goodbyes and thanks and headed home to shower. After a good long shower and a few minutes in the HOT tub I laid down for a few minutes only to wake up at 6am Sunday. Missed my appreciation Dinner. John informed on Sunday that they rushed the reassembly on his bike and had four leftover screws. The remaining Diehards all left the garage around 8 pm. Bones, Dan, John and Jan went out for dinner together. Dan Martin had arrived at 8am and did not leave until 6pm to return home in Houston. Thank You! Dan for hanging out all day with a long ride left to Houston. Dan Martin donated one HID to me for hosting the session. Special thank you to Dan Martin! Not sure what happened to Bones. He arrived from Victoria at the same time with Dan Martin. Thank you Bones for hanging in there longer than I did. Bones drove the most miles to enjoy the therapy of work on his greenie. Next time anyone from out town is welcome spend the evening at my home. Thank You Jan & John for cold drinks!

In summary this LT tech session showed Dave and I the LT brothers are the nicest upstanding Bikers we have met! Dave and I have been through many good and bad biker experiences together and the guys that attended this session are the “Icing on the Cake!”

What was I worried about Dick?

THANK YOU ALL!

Jeff Goodwin

Here are the details:
Four valve adjustments:
Russ, Jeff, Steve, Dan.
Two HIDs Thanks to Dan Martin for Houston!
Bones got one HID
John got the other HID
Greased Shift linkage on Jeff’s bike.
Steve got new blood for brakes, and tire mounted twice LOL…..

1. THANKS for all the EXPERTS!
2. Brian Louw Lakeway 2002 Silver
3. Russ Locke Bandera 2005 “Phoenix”
4. Steve S Austin 2000 “Lola”
5. Doug Turner Boerne 1999 “Bertha”
6. Dave Christan Driftwood 2005
7. Kevin Phelan Austin 1997 F650
8. Dan Martin Houston
9. Bones Victoria 2002 Green “Belle”
10. Deacon Channing Round Rock 2005 “Misty”
11. Alen Struber Austin 2003
12. Dan Baur Austin 2003
13. Bill Hoch Liberty Hill 2005 “Never washed”
14. Steve Van Austin
15. John & Jan Austin 2002 Blue
16. Jeff Goodwin Cedar Park 2006 “Joy”

Jeff Goodwin
Austin, Texas

"Life is a coin.
You can spend it anyway you wish,
but you can only spend it once."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 11:42 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I would like to say a special "Thank You" to Dave for having all these strangers invade his home and shop Also to Jeff for putting it all together.Can't wait till the next one (maybe a HID tech session) Again mucho thanks to everyone who came just to help and share there knowledge Bmw riders are the best

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 19th, 2006, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

Steve,

Strangers are the Friends you have yet to meet.

You are welcome any time...

Dan Martin from Houston will need to stock up on HID equipment.

From reading this forum there are about four of us wanting to install HIDs.

Jeff Goodwin
Austin, Texas

"Life is a coin.
You can spend it anyway you wish,
but you can only spend it once."

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 9:35 am

What a write-up. Looks good. It was a great day and the light is more then incredible. I did not leave Austin until 8:30ish and blasted (uh, I mean rode slowly) home. Got there at 11:08pm
Thanks for hosting and getting an awesome shop to play in.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:39 am

Jeff, I am amazed how you kept track of everything that was happening while you also worked on your bike. I am definitely looking forward to finishing my move to Driftwood so I can ride with you guys.
Dave
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 8:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbazi
In summary this LT tech session showed Dave and I the LT brothers are the nicest upstanding Bikers we have met! Dave and I have been through many good and bad biker experiences together and the guys that attended this session are the “Icing on the Cake!”
Good stuff Jeff! Having been around this bunch for over five years now, I can heartily agree on the caliber of LT owners I have met. I'm proud to be a part of this group.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in