BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Fuel sending unit

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  alabrew 
#1 ·
When I refuel it takes several minutes or miles for fuel gauge to read full or miles left before needing more fuel. last time 10 miles to register, is this normal? I am replacing the charcoal /carbon canister. Will this do it?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum Gary. The gauge is sometimes a little slow to register but there is also the possibility you have or a PO has caused some damage to the sending unit tube. This can be done by putting the fuel filler in pointing towards the back of the bike and it impacts the sending unit causing some damage.

Here is a video by Kirk Johnson showing the damage and the repair process. If it still moves to full, then there may be some slight damage requiring some vibration to get the float to move past the dent. Worth a look.

#3 ·
Is this new behavior or has it always done this. If it does eventually read full there is probably nothing wrong with the sensor. It is not an instant read and there is some delay otherwise your fuel gauge would go up and down in every corner you took.

#4 ·
I see this if I don't turn off the key when I get gas.

Reactions: Munmi
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.