Which Sirius/XM Unit for Bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 4:52 pm Thread Starter

Which Sirius/XM Unit for Bike?

My wife has the Sirius/XM subscription for her car, and we wanted to add one to use for the bike, boat, or backyard. They have several listed on their website (Stratus, Onxy, etc), some come with a "vehicle kit", some come with a home and vehicle kit, but it never says what those are. For those of you that don't have it built into your bike radio, what unit do you use, and how do you attach? I'd imagine a RamMount and then to the aux in jack or maybe even bluetooth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 5:30 pm

Re: Which Sirius/XM Unit for Bike?

I had an early version of a Sirius radio and I had a car kit on the LT, one in my truck, a docking station on my stereo with an outside antenna and a boom box that the Sirius AudioVox head fit in to use in the garage. I worked for many years and eventually failed after so many plugins, probably 5 years.

It was OK but was getting so expensive I replaced it with a 'smartphone' using Pandora as the replacement and it was almost a wash costwise.

I think the smartphone is better, no dropouts, as good as fidelity, did not repeat songs as much as Sirius and it's customizable to spin the selection streaming to you.. Because I have the LT setup with the phone off my BMR copilot I also have weather radar. When I am out of cellphone data range I have all my CDs on the phone so music continues.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 5:32 pm

Just a little food for thought.

For anyone owning a smart phone, I personally can't understand why anyone would still use (read: pay for) Sirius/XM ... ESPECIALLY on a bike. It was so frustrating to experience all of the drop-outs when in the mountains, through tunnels, etc., etc... With my (Android) smart phone, I subscribe to Pandora and Spotify. As long as I have a 3G/4G signal, I can listen to anything I want to. When the 3G/4G signal goes away, I have downloaded playlists within the Spotify app. Not to mention the MP3s that I already have residing on my smart phone.

- Joe

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 5:52 pm

I love sirius/XM and would rather use it than the phone any day. I dare any phone user to change channels while riding at 70 on the freeway. my older sirius unit I can easily mash the button to change channels.

To answer the mounting question, you will not find anything that works perfectly for a motorcycle. you will have to jury rig up something better or buy something better separately (and not for sirius/XM they will not sell most of the accessories)

http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/Si...ation_Kit.aspx Is a great kit for the specific radio that fits in there, but you will not be changing stations on the road, you might as well put the radio in the oddiments box or trunk. But the motorcycle antenna works fantastic. I love that antenna.

I have an old unit that you cant buy new anymore but the stratus 7 is the most glove friendly of all the current radios. and you can modify the mount so that it is solid. just put a heavy rubber band around it to keep it on the dock.

Note get the external FM antenna lead and run it back tot he motorcycle's FM antenna and wrap it around under the plastic shroud at the base. the newer XM/Sirius radios are junk for FM transmitters. If you have a ipod input, use that instead as it will sound a lot better.

Sadly there are no motorcycle specific radios anymore, Garmin used to make GPS's with XM but you would die going off a cliff trying to change the channel.

I have this radio ... http://www.amazon.com/Visor-Sirius-S.../dp/B000MQ6WEA It works great and mounts solid to a RAM mount, and easily can be operated while flying down the road.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 10:28 pm

I use the Roady 2 on my 2004 LT. The unit sits nicely in the oddiments box. I rigged up a little steel bracket on the back side of my GPS to mount the little magnet mount antenna. Then got direct power from my Fuzeblock using the car kit's power source. I use the FM transmitter to get signal from the Roady 2 unit. Works very well for us.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 7:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray View Post
I love sirius/XM and would rather use it than the phone any day. I dare any phone user to change channels while riding at 70 on the freeway. my older sirius unit I can easily mash the button to change channels.
[snip]
Dare me ... go ahead ... I dare you.

To skip to the next track while listening to any app on my phone, I simply long-press a button on my intercom unit. Oh, and I can go BACK in Spotify ... you cannot do that in XM.

To change channels, I simply tap one button on my intercom unit to pause the music. I then tap one button on my phone and say, "Ok Google, play <insert channel name here>." Tada!

Like the Staples button says ... "That was easy."

- Joe
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 8:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2 View Post

I triple dog dare you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLZj3zOUZNs

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 8:26 am

I use a Sirius Stratus on my RT using the Sirius car dock and a ram mount. I find the car dock doesn't seem to handle the vibration well and eventually you get intermittent connections at the antenna connection. I have been looking for a more robust dock but haven't found anything yet but fortunately the standard car docks can be picked up cheap on Ebay so I just change it when it starts acting up.
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 5th, 2014, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2 View Post

To skip to the next track while listening to any app on my phone, I simply long-press a button on my intercom unit. Oh, and I can go BACK in Spotify ... you cannot do that in XM.

To change channels, I simply tap one button on my intercom unit to pause the music. I then tap one button on my phone and say, "Ok Google, play <insert channel name here>." Tada!

Like the Staples button says ... "That was easy."
Now do that in the rocky mountains where you cant get cellphone signal. :-)

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 8th, 2014, 12:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray View Post
Now do that in the rocky mountains where you cant get cellphone signal. :-)
Are those the same Rockies where you can't listen to XM more than half the time due to loss of reception?

- Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in