High Cost of XM Radio - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Apr 4th, 2010, 10:17 am Thread Starter

High Cost of XM Radio

My renewal is coming due next month. I have three XM Radios. The notice I received with the new pricing has made me reconsider whether I really need XM radio. There is a new US Music royalty FEE. The royalty fee is $21.79 for the first radio, and $10.68 for the next ones. When you add that to the subscriber fees of $142.45 and $98.89, you are into the pain level.
So, I am going to go the MP3 route.

Any thoughts on this?

Richard
K1200LT Trike
K75 Sidecar
R65
K6DBR Ham operator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Apr 4th, 2010, 10:35 am

Re: High Cost of XM Radio

I gave up on XM too. Make sure you get and keep a confirmation number when you cancel, then watch your statements for unauthorized charges.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 28 Old Apr 4th, 2010, 10:58 am

Had the same going on with Sirius, but after telling them I wanted to cancel they came back with a half price deal which I accepted (still very expensive for both my wife's and my bikes). I think next go round I will do a mp3 type of thingy. If you cancel do it in a e-mail so you have proof, I had a problem in this area.
Good luck with your decision.
Larry

post #4 of 28 Old Apr 4th, 2010, 11:05 am

Buh-bye XM Radio! Hello Pandora and Slacker!

I finally got rid of my last (of 3) XM subscriptions last month. Of course, it was supposed to just end without a charge, but those numb-nuts charged my Visa anyway. The rep was nice enough over the phone and I got everything finally closed, refunded, and finalized.

Ever since getting my DROID, I have fallen in love with Pandora and Slacker Radio. Between those two apps, I have all the music, talk, and comedy that a guy can ask for. Love it ... and it's free! (Yes, I pay $30 a month for my data plan. But I was paying that anyway.)
post #5 of 28 Old Apr 4th, 2010, 11:12 am

Re: Buh-bye XM Radio! Hello Pandora and Slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2

Ever since getting my DROID
CPO3PO or R2D2?

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #6 of 28 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 8:59 pm

I just cancelled my three XM radios. It started due to cost and signal quality. But after having to wait on hold listening to their sales and Howard Stern pitches (would rather have been listening elevator music) I had to explain 5 different time why I was cancelling (the XM rep. confirmed 5 times why I was cancelling) then told that I would have to be transferred to complete the cancellation. Again being put on hold and again explaining the reason for cancellation I then told the XM rep. to add a three reasons for cancelling extremly poor customer service.

The thing that I stressed to both reps. was that I wanted to cancel at the end of my contracts one radio has one month left and the other two have two months. Well it was not an hour later that all three radios were disconnected.

Rusty Snyder
post #7 of 28 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 11:40 pm Thread Starter

Well, I called today to cancel my subscriptions. They passed me off to a last resort guy. He gave me a good offer. A total of $88 for each radio for the year. This included taxes and the music fee. I will have to call next year to get the better deal if available. So, I accepted. $88 is not in the pain level. I will see what hapens next year.
post #8 of 28 Old Apr 14th, 2010, 1:36 am

if you use the radios daily and enjoy them, then you got a good deal -- way to hang in there for the last resort guy. You gave us all a benchmark to shoot for!!!
post #9 of 28 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 4:54 am

Quote:
I finally got rid of my last (of 3) XM subscriptions last month. Of course, it was supposed to just end without a charge, but those numb-nuts charged my Visa anyway. The rep was nice enough over the phone and I got everything finally closed, refunded, and finalized.

Ever since getting my DROID, I have fallen in love with Pandora and Slacker Radio. Between those two apps, I have all the music, talk, and comedy that a guy can ask for. Love it ... and it's free! (Yes, I pay $30 a month for my data plan. But I was paying that anyway.)
I've been listening to both of these for as long as I've know about them on my PC, but how do you get them on the bike?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 28 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 6:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I've been listening to both of these for as long as I've know about them on my PC, but how do you get them on the bike?
With my Motorola DROID on Verizon's network. I have unlimited data and can (and DO) listen to Pandora and Slacker ALL DAY LONG at work, in the car, on the bike, and at home. My recent trip down to the Smokies (STC 2010) proved that my data connection far out-weighed XM's quality. Mountains, trees, tunnels ... none of that could stop my data stream.

IMO, satellite radio is soon to go the way of the dinosaurs.
post #11 of 28 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 8:49 am

Radio Paradise is another internet radio that is great! www.radioparadise.com

Tom.....
2008 K1200LT
BMW MOA # 141284

post #12 of 28 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:24 am

Yup.. Keeping my money... cancelled ALL of my "subscriptions".

I told them.. "I don't want to support some of your "channels."

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 28 Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Yup.. Keeping my money... cancelled ALL of my "subscriptions".
I told them.. "I don't want to support some of your "channels."
Was your satellite radio stuck on one of those offensive channels?
Do you have Cable TV, or Satellite TV, or an internet service provider? If so, don't they have content/channels available that could also "offend" you?

Not ALL content from a given provider will please every customer...and that is why you can simply change channels or not visit certain internet sites, etc. Nobody forces anybody to listen to anything....so I always find it rather interesting to hear about people being "offended" by something, then boycotting the technology as a whole because of it...instead of just changing the channel, or going to a different internet site, etc. Don't mean to sound offensive here mate, as it's obviously it's your prerogative to cancel for whatever reason you want.
Cheers, Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #14 of 28 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 8:18 am

Quote:
With my Motorola DROID on Verizon's network. I have unlimited data and can (and DO) listen to Pandora and Slacker ALL DAY LONG at work, in the car, on the bike, and at home. My recent trip down to the Smokies (STC 2010) proved that my data connection far out-weighed XM's quality. Mountains, trees, tunnels ... none of that could stop my data stream.

Thanks Joe - I agree with what you are saying about satellite radio. Might be why the stock is so cheep... Wire line telephone is another. In the future, the majority will be ISP. A lot is already......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #15 of 28 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 8:44 am

Well guys, I feel your pain! I have both XM and the other one, Ser... some thing And I hate it. As I travel all 48 states and all of Canada it"s a must for a truck driver.The cost is way to much and will be dropping the Ser some thing because of the poor customer service.

2 Ride video"s

IBA 53744
BMW J&M CB
Sirius/XM Radio
Hyper-Lights
IBA 53744
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein.

A Twist of the Wrist is all that's needed.....
post #16 of 28 Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 5:12 pm

Garage

I have a HTC Evo on order for Friday (Sprint's version of the Droid). Based upon what I've read, I should be able to stream Pandora/Slacker/Last FM via bluetooth to my Scala G4.

If it works, my Sirius is a goner!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #17 of 28 Old Jun 9th, 2010, 9:52 am

Pandora? please explain...

2 Ride video"s

IBA 53744
BMW J&M CB
Sirius/XM Radio
Hyper-Lights
IBA 53744
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein.

A Twist of the Wrist is all that's needed.....
post #18 of 28 Old Jun 9th, 2010, 2:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

I have a 'Droid Incredible on order that I'll be receiving in the next week. I'm also planning to cancel my Sirius subscription and use Pandora or one of the other internet based radio solutions.

I do have a question, though. If you do lose your signal (I have Verizon), I assume you have to pull out the phone and re-open the browser to get your radio station back?

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #19 of 28 Old Apr 28th, 2011, 1:00 am

I have had my XM for 10 years. If I could just get the Fox News Channel to come over my Droid I would drop the XM in a heart beat.

Later Steve
post #20 of 28 Old Apr 28th, 2011, 7:06 am

I bought a lifetime XM Radio subscription two years ago while on one of my trips to the US for a bit less that $500. It allows me to transfer units 3 times. I have a older water resistant INNO that I transfer between the bike and my other vehicles. I found the cost per yr was way too much as my main use is for travelling.

Doug
post #21 of 28 Old Apr 28th, 2011, 7:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea2980
I have had my XM for 10 years. If I could just get the Fox News Channel to come over my Droid I would drop the XM in a heart beat.

Later Steve
Isn't there an app for that?
http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/14...ndroid-market/

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #22 of 28 Old Apr 28th, 2011, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky
Pandora? please explain...
Pandora Internet Radio

Steve W
Canton, MI USA

2012 K 1600 GT (#901 from 8/6/2011)

post #23 of 28 Old Aug 4th, 2012, 9:26 pm

I have read many stories about how bad XM is. Well may be if you have a cell phone which does not cost a body part for roaming data, and have a cell phone provider that gives you service everywhere you go then you maybe have an option with internet radio. Anywhere within 3000 KM of where I live you can not count on cell phone service on the road let alone having a data roaming plan that you can afford. I prefer to listen to news, weather and talk radio with a bit of music mixed in. So internet radio or MP3s just don't cut it. XM means I get to listen to what I want where ever I am (in Canada and the US). It works, yes it costs but look at the cost of high speed internet, cell pjones or cable TV.

1967 Bridgestone 175 Dual Twin
1970 Suzuki GT500 Titan
1976 Suzuki GS750
1974 Honda XL250
1981 Yamaha XS400
1981 Suzuki GS1100E
1977 Yamaha DT250
1986 Suzuki RG500 Gamma (retired it to Florda)
2008 Honda GL1800
2012 BMW R1200RT
post #24 of 28 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 7:11 am

the only problem i found with listening to your favorite radio station on your smart phone is it eats your data up quickly . so unless you have unlimited data plan xm might end up being cheaper.
post #25 of 28 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 11:28 am

This has been a good thread for me. I have been unhappy with my Droid X2 being able to stream Pandora (which I love) and tune in radio (which has a huge variety of radio).

Maybe it's just Verizon not having full coverage in Northern MI but the streaming music stops and buffers so much it is very frustrating. Because of this I've been thinking of adding a gps/sat radio system to get uninterrupted music. Now I will rethink this option.

What I find weird is that often I will be listening to music in a rural area and it seems fine but when I get closer to a town where you would expect better coverage the music stops and has to buffer. Can anyone explain this to me??

I use the Droid X2 in conjunction with the Scala rider G4.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #26 of 28 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 12:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey
What I find weird is that often I will be listening to music in a rural area and it seems fine but when I get closer to a town where you would expect better coverage the music stops and has to buffer. Can anyone explain this to me??
Cell service isn't just a coverage issue, it is also a capacity issue. The way you get service while traveling is one tower hands you off to another tower. If the tower you are going to is busy you will get a service interruption for things like streaming data ( music) while voice has natural gaps and you might not know you had an interruption.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #27 of 28 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 1:13 pm

XM/Serius won't be in business much longer....

But, If you actually use it. You can get a pretty good rate by trying to quit...

88 bucks a year isn't bad if you use it... I just didn't ....Got rid of mine a long time ago..

Spend a couple hours getting all your favorite music converted to mp3 and get a player.. They're as cheap or as expensive as you want to go...

I've got a Sansa and it's got a little video screen on it.. And it was cheap enough..

I can get it up to 16 GB of data on it... That's a lot of music.. I think I've used 2 gb after three or four years having the thing...

Good Luck..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #28 of 28 Old Aug 5th, 2012, 2:55 pm

I have a lifetime Sirius subscription, which does me absolutely no good. I've had two radios. Each one worked for a while, then stopped working. Sirius was absolutely no help, despite all of the blogs complaining about this inherent issue. I finally just gave up. IHeartRadio, Pandora, my FM headset radio, and my iPod fill the bill. I don't think XM/Sirius will be around much longer.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in