Frustrated with XM Radio Customer Service - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By DaveE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Sep 28th, 2009, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Frustrated with XM Radio Customer Service

I've had an XM Radio subscription since 2005 or so. I added the Garmin receiver/antenna as a second radio at a reduced "family plan" price. Most of my XM listening was online; the online feature was included with the subscription. Later on XM changed its plans and the online radio became a "premium" feature at an extra cost. From that point I was paying for service on two radios that were not being used much.

Last week I decided to drop the first radio and change to one of the other plans, and pick up the online service again so that I could listen while at a computer. I looked on XM Radio's website but figured out I would have to call Customer Service to make the changes. After sitting on hold for maybe 20 minutes, a lady with an accent answered and told me she could change the plan but would have to transfer me to the Cancellations Department to delete a radio. Fine. On to plans. I asked about the less expensive "Mostly Music" plan since I seldom listed to anything else, but since the "Premium Online" was not available with that plan I had to go up. I don't care about the Sirius channels so that left the "XM Everything" plan (which is pretty much what I have now) as the best option. The website showed that the more expensive plans ("XM Everything" and "XM Everything Plus the Best of Sirius") each have a "Family Friendly" version that excludes channels with explicit language and cost a buck or two less than the "uncensored" versions. I ended up agreeing to change my subscription to "XM Everything/Family Friendly" plan, plus the "Premium Online" upgrade.

OK, on to the Cancellation Department after another few minutes on hold. Talked to another lady with a more pronounced accent, had to give all the same information again and explain that I wanted to delete Radio #1 and continue the service with Radio #2. She then kept offering to contine the service on the radio at a reduced rate. I declined (in part because I could see that I would have to spend another hour or two on the phone to India to cut it off later. At that point she agreed to delete the first radio, and asked me what plan I wanted for the remaining radio. I told her that the prior CS rep had already taken care of that by changing my plan to the "Family Friendly" version.

Cancellation Gal then proceeds to tell me that my radio is not eligible for the "Family Friendly" plan because it cannot be used on a primary radio, only for additional units added to a subscription. I thought perhaps she was confusing the "Family Friendly" plan with the "Family Plan", which allows you to add second or third radios to an account at a reduced rate. I told her that I was NOT asking for a reduced rate, I was willing to pay the full advertised rate for the XM service on my remaining radio.

She continued to insist that the Family Friendly plan was not available. I went to the main page of XM Radio's website and read her the descriptions of the plans that XM advertises. She put me on hold, and came back and told me that her supervisor confirmed that the "Family Friendly" plan was not available. I got so frustrated that I told her to cancel my XM Radio subscription altogether. The funny part was that at the end of the call, she asked me whether I was satisfied with the customer service I had received. I told her NO, and she ended the call.

I sent an online message to XM Radio through their website. That was Saturday and so far I have had no response whatsoever.

I could have relented and told Cancellation Gal that I would take the XM Everything subscription; it was only a dollar more than the plan I wanted. I don't care about the dollar, and I can certainly change the channel if I don't like the content. I just got so frustrated trying to educate XM Radio's employee about the company's own product I decided not to play anymore.

I quick search revealed tons of consumer complaints about XM Radio's customer service. I don't know if it is better or worse since XM and Sirius merged to form the satellite radio monopoly.

Anyone else gotten a bone-headed response like that from XM Radio Customer Service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Sep 28th, 2009, 9:09 pm

Re: Frustrated with XM Radio Customer Service

I just canceled mine. No problem at all. I asked to cancel or suspend for six months, she told me I could supend for three months but it would be better to cancel and just start again in April even with the $15 re activate charge.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 20 Old Oct 5th, 2009, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

Got a reply today (October 5) to the message I sent through XM's website on September 26. It mostly looks like a canned response and is in somewhat broken English. Here is the response with my comments in brackets:
Dear Mr. Weyman [their fields show that they know this is my first name, perhaps the sender is in a location where they put the surname first, who knows],

Thank you for contacting XM. We appreciate your comments and suggestions about
our customer service representative, don't worry everything is properly
documented and feedback will be given and it will surely help our company to
provide better service. We apologize for any inconvenience being caused you at
this time. [I bet this is the "canned response"]
With regards to your concern, we do have XM Family friendly package for $11.95
plus applicable fees and taxes and you can also add the premium XM radio online
with that plan, [this is the part that hacked me off in the phone conversation; of course they offer this plan, it is plain as day but the rep insisted that it was not available] we are sorry to hear that you cancel your service. [not sorry enough to do anything about it, apparently, other than give me the toll free number in case I want to re-up again]

If you wish to reactivate your subscription at any time, just call Listener Care
at 1-800-XM RADIO (800-967-2346) and provide your Radio ID. We thank you for the
time that you were an XM subscriber and we are sorry to see you go. Our Listener
Care Center’s hours of operation are as follows:

Monday - Saturday: 8 am -11 pm ET
Sunday: 8 am-8 pm ET

post #4 of 20 Old Oct 5th, 2009, 11:20 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

You will be happy to know that their stock went up $00.004 cents, closing at $0.59 cents.
(Yes there are 2 zeros in front of the 4)
The last time I talked to XM their call center was in Jamaica (Mannnn)

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 20 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 3:30 pm

Talking Re: Frustrated with XM Radio Customer Service

Well you can always become more frustrated and mad and call the FCC and file a complaint with the government about XM.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #6 of 20 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

It actually takes some doing to get me frustrated, and I was not really angry about it. Even so, I wouldn't expect the government to solve my problem. Instead, I vote with my pocketbook.

Things tend to work out for the best. I've found lots of other internet radio choices for free, so it's not like it was XM-or-nothing for online listening.
post #7 of 20 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Don't EVER activate an XM account unless you're prepared for a life long commitment. I canceled XM in October and got billed to my card this January. I just called to cancel AGAIN. My plans were to renew this spring, but I don't think I ever will. Now I have to keep checking my card for AOL I mean my XM service charges.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #8 of 20 Old Jan 29th, 2010, 6:47 pm

CAVEAT EMPTOR! I decided not to renew XM initially because of pricing. They had sent me a notification letter to inform me that my credit card had expired and that I needed to take action to update the information. I accessed my XM account to see what other plans were available but couldn't do anything because of annoying pop ups telling me that I needed to update my credit card info. At that point, I definitely decided not to renew, didn't update any of my card information and logged out.

I just got my credit card statement AND FOUND A CHARGE OF $460 FOR THE RENEWAL OF THE XM SUBSCRIPTION FOR A 3 YEAR TERM. THEY USED MY EXPIRED CREDIT CARD! I called them up, asked them to explain, which they couldn't. They verified that the card was expired!. I then cancelled my other radio subscription and want nothing further to do with that company. I am monitoring my credit card statement to ensure that my account is credited for the fraudulent charge and will initiate a fraud investigation if it isn't.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #9 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2010, 11:42 am

Well I thought my case was over. They reached into my pocket and stole money from my credit card after I canceled. I called, canceled again, and they said they would credit my credit card. Case close right? Well they only put back 60%. I have now entered a disputed amount with with my credit card company and will see what happens next.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #10 of 20 Old Feb 4th, 2010, 12:14 pm

Similar lack of customer service experienced with my XM account. After not turning on and listening to my XM unit for half a year (ole Toad up on the lift for major surgery, and estate handling matters kept progress at a crawl), I finally realized I didn't need the service and called to cancel. Lady kept insisting that I not cancel - I kept insisting I would. She finally gave in and wuz gonna connect me with 'retention services'. I hung up and then kept an eye on my cc account for two or three months - no activity from XM, a good thang.

By happenstance, my CU wanted to change my cc accounts and put me in the 'old pharts' category - new cards with different account numbers. Sure, why not - added some bennies and cut fees and some account charges. Would you believe XM began e-mailing me this year - two years after cancellation - requesting that I MUST update my cc account with them, cuz they're showing the old card number doesn't work!!! WTF,O?? Why are they hitting the card, anyway???? Duh!! And funny thang - the e-mails say "do not respond to this unmonitored email". So, I don't, and they keep sending 'em. Wasting my computer's 'ink' supply. Maybe someone there will get a clue someday.
post #11 of 20 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Well finally got my money back after I declared a disputed amount with the credit card company. Got the interest back too. What I don't know is if the credit card company just put in the difference or they actually got XM radio to pay them? I do enjoy getting their sales calls asking me to come back. They get an ear full.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #12 of 20 Old Feb 25th, 2010, 4:45 pm

Some basic information for credit card disputes:

1. It must be IN WRITING to the card company who is the issuer.
2. You must state what the disputed amount is and the problem (no service fraud in billing, etc.)

The card company will show the disputed amount and transmit the dispute information to the vendor, and they must reply within a time limit.

At some point the card issuer will charge back the amount to the vendor if you hold you ground.

You are not liable for credit card interest or late fees calculations on your disputed amount pending resolution.

This procedure is not available for debit cards, which is why I don't use them, among other problems.
post #13 of 20 Old Feb 25th, 2010, 8:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy
Some basic information for credit card disputes:

1. It must be IN WRITING to the card company who is the issuer.
2. You must state what the disputed amount is and the problem (no service fraud in billing, etc.)

The card company will show the disputed amount and transmit the dispute information to the vendor, and they must reply within a time limit.

At some point the card issuer will charge back the amount to the vendor if you hold you ground.

You are not liable for credit card interest or late fees calculations on your disputed amount pending resolution.

This procedure is not available for debit cards, which is why I don't use them, among other problems.
I have disputed numerous debit card charges and won every single one of them...... on the flip side as a merchant, I have lost every single dispute.... something to keep in mind

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #14 of 20 Old Feb 26th, 2010, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy

As far as I'm concerned, debit cards are the greatest invention since toilet paper. It has helped me eliminate all credit card debt (nothing carries over anymore. Don't have to carry so much cash....just beer money!

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #15 of 20 Old May 15th, 2018, 9:57 pm

Sirius-XM still has a big head and still charge too much, especially for bike units. Actual time radio is used on the bike, def not worth the price. Still playing the short time deals, only with auto renew at substantly higher rates. Not worth the hastle ! I cancelled my bike unit today..

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #16 of 20 Old May 15th, 2018, 11:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

When I bought my 16 RT it had a radio and free 1 year sub to XM. I went for a few months and never tried it. Then I thought the radio should get used to make sure it worked. It did. I activated my trial subscription and it played out rarely used. Upon expiration as expected I started getting several offers a week on line and postal service. Last offer was six months for 30 bucks. Because I used it a little more at the end of my trial I thought ok, go for it. I read the fine print and saw the terms of auto renew if you don't call and cancel. When I called to take the offer I explained I did not want the auto renew and after a bit the sales person agreed no auto renew. I did not give a credit card. They activated the unit again and sent an invoice which I sent. Three days past the 6 month subscription I realized the unit was still playing. Then I began getting invoices and emails telling me my account was past due and I need pay or be turned over to collections. ??? Long story short I spent the next few weeks calling and talking to level 1 , 2 and 3 techs. At the end of each call I was told my sub was canceled , but I had to send them $3.50 to cover prorated 3 days. More calls and arguing I finally got them to waive the entire thing and send me an invoice showing nothing due. I can't believe I still get offers for discount programs. But I won the battle. Never again.

McWideglide

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
post #17 of 20 Old Sep 6th, 2018, 8:03 am

Garage

I actually had a good experience with SiriusXM yesterday. I usually have to battle with them to get my annual subscription rate reduced from $228 to $99, but this time "Jonathan" (probably not his real name) was polite and helpful. I told him $228 was too much and that $99 was a fair price, and I was willing to renew for that rate. He agreed, and the deal was done in four minutes.
CWRoady and Goose11 like this.
post #18 of 20 Old Jan 15th, 2019, 1:06 pm

I got my 3 subscriptions consolidated to the family plan. Got a $65 credit..

I then ask for another reduced 6 mo renewal for my RT. They declined, offering me best rate of $11.99/mo for one year. I declined and told them to cancel RT.

They finally agreed to 6 mo auto renewals on the RT for $30+taxes/fees, every 6 months. They applied my $65 credit to the RT account, so my next payout for a renewal on the RT will be $11+ in July 2019, and in Jan 2020 it will be $30+taxes/fees and every six months thereafter, assuming no across the board increases ?

No more 1 hour call sessions every six months !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #19 of 20 Old Jan 16th, 2019, 1:34 am

I did receive my email confirmation of the agreed changes to my RT account, confirming their agreement.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #20 of 20 Old Jan 16th, 2019, 9:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post

Just for interest's sake, the UK has the Section 75 Consumer Credit Act protection for credit cards which gives similar protection to yours for purchases over £100 and below £30K. Likewise it doesn't cover Debit cards but there is a voluntary dispute resolution service run by the banks called "Chargeback". There are no promises, but generally a complaint will be viewed sympathetically. There is no lower amount for that claim.

Previous username - ajlelectronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in