BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

BMW radio - AUX input?

8K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Deek 
#1 · (Edited)
In the CD unit/storage bin on my 06 12RT there is a cable with a free male end. Looks like what would plug into an XM radio or MP3 player. I believe it's a 3.5 mm size. I figured that give input to the AUX position on the radio's CD* button. I select AUX on that button and expect audio from the speakers once an XM radio is attached; but nothing comes through.

What's happening, any ideas? Why can't I hear the XM radio through the bike's speakers? I want to be able to play the XM and MP3 player via the stock 12RT's speakers.

#2 ·
From what I recall on the BMW Comm, the AUX input only outputs to a plugged in headset. Plus, the AUX volume is only controlled by the AUX device, so it won't ramp the volume up/down with speed, and AUX device overrides everything else (no intercom or anything else).

If you want to listen to XM while riding, do the direct input to the radio antenna (XM has a plug to do this). Then all of the features of the installed radio work.

I believe someone over on BMWsporttouring.com figured out the radio inputs on the back and has instructions on how to install a 3.5mm audio plug so you can run an auxillary audio device directly into the radio.

#3 ·
tbarstow said:
From what I recall on the BMW Comm, the AUX input only outputs to a plugged in headset. Plus, the AUX volume is only controlled by the AUX device, so it won't ramp the volume up/down with speed, and AUX device overrides everything else (no intercom or anything else).

If you want to listen to XM while riding, do the direct input to the radio antenna (XM has a plug to do this). Then all of the features of the installed radio work.

I believe someone over on BMWsporttouring.com figured out the radio inputs on the back and has instructions on how to install a 3.5mm audio plug so you can run an auxillary audio device directly into the radio.
That is really odd. :confused: You'd think using the AUX selected on the OEM BMW radio you would be playing whatever (MP3, XM) through the OEM BMW radio! Gotta watch those German mad scientists I guess. ;)

I'll check out BMWsporttouring.com also and see what they have to add to the solution. I believe I still have the doo-dads required to transmit the XM radio to the FM antenna, I'll have to dig through my junk drawer...............

#4 ·
tbarstow said:

Is this the plug to which you refer? Anyone have a photo of how that is connected on an RT?

Or this one on eBay?

#5 ·
That would be the correct plug from XM.

The basics of the directions are: Xm antenna plugs into the little box. One wire from the box plugs into the XM radio, one of the other wires plugs into the antenna, the last one plugs into the back of the BMW radio. Don't worry, it comes with very good directions.

#6 ·
tbarstow said:
That would be the correct plug from XM.

......the last one plugs into the back of the BMW radio. Don't worry, it comes with very good directions.

Ah ha, I suppose I'll order it ASAP, but I have concerns over your last sentence above about plugging into the back of the BMW radio. Will I have to disassemble the fairing to do that? What is it that plugs into the BMW radio anyway - I thought the design was to have the XM radio (Roady in my case) simply "transmit" to the BMW's antenna with this kit.

So what is that thing that plugs into the back of the radio? Surely it's not from the Roady's audio output jack?

#7 ·
tbarstow said:
..... the AUX input only outputs to a plugged in headset.... AUX device overrides everything else (no intercom or anything else).

I think I understand. If I were to connect a MP3 player to the AUX, for instance, which would be on and producing music all the time, I'd NOT hear (at the same time) the FM BMW radio, right? Since the AUX overrides the other BMW radio functions (AM/FM/CD and Intercom).

However, what about connecting a GPS to the AUX? Since the GPS only "makes sound" occasionally, would I hear the other devices until they were overridden by the GPS when it speaks? That would be the way I would design it; but the guy who actually DID the design might have not agreed with me! :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.