galaxy s5 music to cassette head unit - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 11:39 am Thread Starter

galaxy s5 music to cassette head unit

Hi all I have a 99 K1200LT and use a Samsung Galaxy s5 phone on three3 with unlimited internet so Digital radio I have a Head unit which plugs into the cassette unit and to power the phone the bike is fitted with a USB port connected direct to the battery always live but fused. I get feedback from the Head unit and would like to use the connections from the CD unit in the pannier std BMW unit I wanted a diagram which showed what the connections are .... Also I am looking for a aerial and mount is there something else I can use to replace the BMW as its all missing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Re: galaxy s5 music to cassette head unit

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can simply plug an analog signal into the wiring of the multi-disk CD unit that fits in the pannier. If memory servers correctly, that part of the wiring harness only contains a digital input.

- Joe
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 2:40 pm Thread Starter

on a 1999 bike? Digital signal, with a cassette player as a head unit ?

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2 View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can simply plug an analog signal into the wiring of the multi-disk CD unit that fits in the pannier. If memory servers correctly, that part of the wiring harness only contains a digital input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digbydog View Post
on a 1999 bike? Digital signal, with a cassette player as a head unit ?
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 4:34 pm

came with a CD unit in the right side case.

I doubt the the digital to analog converter would have been built into the radio-pre-amplifier-amplifier unit. Most common is the DtoA is in the CD unit which sends an unamplified audio signal to the pre-amp.

course the wiring harness to he CD unit will contain wires to control the unit and power?

Your radio and mine in my 00 are different than the ones you can find replacement amplifer for, different than the ones that are common for the LT and autos, different than the one that a few people install a better amplifier in.

so far, I haven't found a schematic for my unit.

since I rarely used the LTs audio system, using a SENA 10 blue tooth reciver connect to a headphone speakers I installed, feed with a wiring harness I made, I recently removed the radio and front speakers--I no longer have the rear trunk installed unless I go on a long trip and need more storage than the side cases and storage bag for the honda rack I use.

There is a plug with three wires #3 white with brown dots? which goes to the radio, #1purple with blue dots? which goes into the radio #2 red with green dots? which goes to the radio; I assume they are the control wires?

a plug with four wires in it, #3 shield, #5 purple with red dots which goes into the radio #1 green with red dots? which goes into the radio #4 yellow which goes into radio; I assume those are the audio lines.

Unfortunately the wiring diagram for the left multi switch doesn't label which wires go the the volume or control the CD selection, just into the LCD display.

If someone doesn't come by with exactly which wires are the audio out from the CD which in turn is the audio input to the CD's pre-amp the next step is to remove the radio, take the cover off and see is one can ascertain where each of the audio input wires go?

The wiring diagram for 01 is different than the one for 99 and 00, at least according to Clymer.

If necessary, you can make your own wiring harness that plugs into your MP3 player in the side case to your cass adapter--use 100% shielded two conductor wire. I buy mil surplus teflon insulation, silver coated copper wire designed for use in aircraft; its very sturdy, easy to solder the silver coated wires and easy to solder since the teflon insulation has a much higher melting point than plastic insulation. By using a heat gun its easy to use shrink-fit tubing to cover any solder joints or re-enforcing the junction from the wires into the plug. Its OK to use larger diameter wires than your cass adapter uses; the only problem is soldering them to the plugs.

Best from T'son

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 4:50 pm

The feedback might be from whatever is converting 12V to 5V on the USB line? Or on the wires running from the converter to the USB jack?

quite a few people replaced the LT AM/FM antenna with much shorter ones mounted else where on the LT, some out of sight behind the tupperware. If you want to you can buy the plug for the coax antenna wire solder an insulated wire to the tip of the plug, wire to the shield, connect the shield to ground and make the wire the length in feet(some where around 2.4) found by dividing 234 by the frequency of the FM station you listen to most often, run the wire vertically as much as possible.

Best from t'son
bob

234 is the electrical length for wire for a quarter wave length of the frequency.Its better to use a quarter wave length for the plus and negative portions of an antenna, but running the negative portion to ground is better than nothing when space is available, at least that is what my defective memory recalls.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 5:56 pm Thread Starter

Thanks I thought there is an Aux plug accessed by code on the system.
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Not in the 99 and 00 radios, no aux in for audio.
bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in