Shad SH50 Top Case Liner - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 26th, 2014, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Shad SH50 Top Case Liner

Can somebody recommend a case liner for my Shad SH50 top case? I bought Kathy's largest top case liner but it was too small for my case and didn't fill it out the case. I tried to find out if they sent the wrong liner but I couldn't reach them by phone and they did not respond to 2 emails. The quality was poor to boot so I sold it on eBay and now I'm looking for something to fit. I'm looking for the largest top case liner out there so it will fill out my top case. Any suggestions? I don't see many options out there so hopefully somebody can help. Thanks.

2011 BMW R1200GS (Black)
2012 BMW R1200RT (Midnight Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 27th, 2014, 4:57 am

Re: Shad SH50 Top Case Liner

I have that case and a Kathy's liner for it and my side cases. Mine fits well, especially when loaded up with stuff. Not to hijack your thread but have you thought about installing some sort of led illumination behind the reflectors or paint matching?

Thanks
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 27th, 2014, 6:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwpsg42 View Post
I have that case and a Kathy's liner for it and my side cases. Mine fits well, especially when loaded up with stuff. Not to hijack your thread but have you thought about installing some sort of led illumination behind the reflectors or paint matching?

Thanks
I think that they sent me the wrong liner, that they sent me the smaller one. I sent two emails and they did not respond to either so I will never do business with them again. Besides, the bag was cheaply made of thin material. I'd be interested in any top case liner that will fill out my top case.

I'm not interested in adding any more lights but I have considered painting the removable cover. I'd like to paint it blue to match the bike.

2011 BMW R1200GS (Black)

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 27th, 2014, 7:00 pm

I have not seen a Kathy's liner for a top box. I do have the Kathy's bags for my side cases. It seems to be the same material as the Jansport backpack I carried on a daily basis for about 18 years of commuting and am still using for day hikes, not torn or holed. I understand that the BMW liners are heavier and padded which allows them to hold their shape when empty. I interpret that to mean they take up more space, while I value total capacity over appearance.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 28th, 2014, 4:59 pm Thread Starter

The top case bag that I bought from Kathy's was so thin that I could see light through the fabric. I have Cee Baily side case bags for my RT and they are a much better fabric and fit. I have RKA bags for my GS Adventure cases and those things are awesome.....heavy fabric and very nice construction.

2011 BMW R1200GS (Black)
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 29th, 2014, 6:17 am

I have the liner bags for the 49 L top case and the side cases from Kathys Journey and I have been pleased with them, two years of heavy use and no problems. I do agree that communications is not the companies strong point.

Gerhard
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 30th, 2014, 7:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
I do agree that communications is not the companies strong point.

Gerhard
Customer service is very important to me. Ignoring two separate emails is outright inconsiderate.

2011 BMW R1200GS (Black)
post #8 of 10 Old Mar 31st, 2014, 9:08 pm

What about a phone call?
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 7:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwpsg42 View Post
What about a phone call?
If you read my original post I mentioned not being able to reach them by phone. I called several times and they did not answer. In addition to ignoring two emails. Enough?

2011 BMW R1200GS (Black)
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 30th, 2014, 5:06 pm

It happens that I just bought a used SH-50 that came with an unspecified liner. Turns out to be Kathy's Journey Designs bag. The one I received seems to fit the case pretty well. I filled the bag with crumpled newspaper and found it fills the corners of the case. At first, I was not certain it filled the lid area, but I could hear the paper compressing just a little as I closed the lid.

Sorry you had such a bad customer service experience. I was going to email the company with a link to this thread until I got to their "Contact Us" page and found this: "You may also try to contact us via phone at 540 251 2959, please note that we may be unable to answer your call immediately due to the high volume of orders at this time, so do please leave a message with your phone number, thank you in advance for your understanding." My feeling is that a business with "a high volume of orders" can afford to have someone answer the phone. A permanent excuse on the web page is not acceptable. I can't imagine there are so many people constantly ordering motorcycle luggage that they cannot pick up the phone or respond to an email.

It's really a shame they do not understand customer service, they make a good, serviceable product at a reasonable price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010766.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	54937   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010768.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	54945  

Larry
2006 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in