Oil leak and feeder line. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Jun 27th, 2011, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

Oil leak and feeder line.

I noticed an oil leak below my R1100RT a week ago. I washed everything off under the bike and placed a piece of cardboard under it and waited a day or so.. the cardboard was slightly wet under the kickstand so i took a look under it. I noticed it was leaking slightly from the cam cover above the kick stand and from a weird plug that looked like an oil cooler line above it. i ordered a new o-ring from our local BMW stealership (that small rubber o-ring was 5 bucks). I removed the left plastic fairing (if u r sitting on the bike, this is the left side), removed the two hex bolts, replaced the o-ring, and screwed it back in. (When I opened it about a 1/4 of a quart of oil fell out). Then I removed the other weird looking screw (from what looks like an oil cooler/feeding line), put in a new crush washer and put it back in. When i opened it about 2 quarts of oil fell out. I checked my oil level on the bike and it was non-existent (before this it was in the upper half of the eye glass). I put in enough oil for it to sit about smack bang in the middle. Stupidly though i was using a gallon container to refill and didnt keep track of how much was in there before I started refilling so I dont know how much I put in. Used my bike twice since then (about 30 mins each time) and she has been behaving properly with no leaks etc. My questions are this: On the first leak, is this common for RTs to leak from the cam o-ring (I checked the oilhead forum and it seems to be fairly common on these bikes - not that i am complaining cos its really easy to fix) and should I consider this a quirk :-) ?. Also, on the second leak, is that bolt really the oil feeder/cooler line and does it get oil from another source other than your normal oil reservoir?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Edwin
96 BMW R1100RT, 22K miles, bought May 2011

Last edited by rabbipal; Jun 27th, 2011 at 5:52 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in