Is a used 2007 R1200RT a good choice vs. the newer ones? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 4th, 2010, 9:14 pm Thread Starter

Question Is a used 2007 R1200RT a good choice vs. the newer ones?

Hi guys,

I'm getting myself another bike next year, I already have a cruiser but I'd like to try something else out for a change of pace.

I've never had the chance to try out a BMW other then a quick ride around the neighbourhood on a K1200LT a couple of years ago. The LT was pretty impressive but felt so foreign to what I usually ride. Actually, I would consider a used K1200LT too now that I mention it.

But so far, I'm leaning a bit more towards a R1200RT, I think that that might suit me better.

Although I can get the money together to buy one of these bikes, I'm not really keen on spending a small fortune on a brand-new R1200RT at the dealership, I'm in Canada and prices here are pretty high to start with, you're looking at a sticker price of over $20,000 and that's with no extras on it whatsoever and then they hit you with another $800.00 + tax for freight & PDI charges and "administration fees". By the time you get a couple thousand bucks worth of options on it, you're looking at over $26,000 out the door.

So, the bargain hunter in me is always whispering in my ear.

There's a guy in my area selling his 2007 R1200RT for the same price that this same BMW dealership is asking for a 2006 R1200RT, apparently the pre-2007s had servo brakes and since I've read a fair bit of negatives on this type of brake system, I think that I'll try to avoid the pre-2007s all together.

Here's the ad for the 2007(with ABS brakes):
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ244240277

I know that you people in the States can find better deals then this all day long but around here, that's not too bad. And this bike looks to have a lot of extras already on it. This bike would save me between $9000.00 and $10,000 compared to buying a 2011 R1200RT with all of that stuff on it.

How much more bike would I be getting if I went and bought the 2011 instead?

That BMW dealership also has a used 2004 K1200LT for sale and it's probably a better deal then their R1200RT. It's only two years older, it's got less mileage, and is $2000.00 cheaper.

http://www.atlanticmotoplex.ca/motor...545f874e08.htm

Here's the BMW dealer's used 2006 R1200RT(with servo brakes):
http://www.atlanticmotoplex.ca/motor...8ec655d572.htm

Would you say that any of these three bikes are a good choice for a bargain hunter looking for a new thrill for next year? I'd guess that the dealer's 2006 R1200RT is the least attractive deal of the bunch.

If this post seems a little incoherent, it's because I've had a few wobbly pops tonight!

Last edited by Humbucker; Dec 4th, 2010 at 9:22 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 4th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Re: Is a used 2007 R1200RT a good choice vs. the newer ones?

Can you buy one in the states?

For instance, this one is still for sale:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...029155441.html

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 4th, 2010, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

Wow, now that's an awesome deal that you'd never see around here in Atlantic Canada.

This is going to sound crazy but I've never been to the States and don't even have a passport but I'm definately going to look into getting myself one soon.

But honestly, I don't know if I'd consider going a whole lot further then say New York for a bike, and it would have to be a deal such as this one that you posted.

Somebody is going to get a sweet deal on that bike!

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2010, 12:22 am

I bought a 2007 RT last year and have not regretted buying used for a second. The 07s are the first year they stopped using the servo brakes which make a noise some people find annoying. I guess the servos work alright, but they are apparently a little more difficult to maintain if you do your own work. The non-servos from 07 on work just great, so as far as I know you don't lose any function.

Given the miles (or kilometers in your case ), I would make sure the 07 has been maintained per BMWs recommendations.
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2010, 6:36 am

Yea $26,000 CDN out the door for a new motorcycle is difficult to swallow (at least for me). Even the used ones up here are ridiculously priced, and that was if you could even *find* one.

I bought a used 2007 R1200RT in the US two months ago in Florida for $11,200US with cruise, heated seat/grips, computer, alarm, a few farkles. Had 18,000km on it (11,000 miles). Didn't have the radio nor the ESA (both of which I didn't want)

One owner bike, bought it from the authorized BMW dealership who had originally sold the bike new to that owner. I have the full history of it. Bike looks new, and runs perfect (well, except for it being in storage now until the spring...sigh)

Costs to bring it in (approximate, don't have the receipts in front of me):

Bike: $11,200 US
Florida temporary plate: $ 15 CDN
Exchange: $ 350 CDN
RIV: $ 200 CDN
PST: $ 900 CDN
GST: $ 585 CDN
Safety: $ 50 CDN

Total: $13,300 CDN

Got a Florida temporary plate from the dealership for $15.00 US which is good for 30 days.

I paid Florida state tax on the bike (around $800 I think), which the dealership immediately refunded me via my credit card when I faxed them the final Ontario registration form.

The RIV fee goes to the "Registrar of Imported Vehicles", which you pay at the Canadian border along with the GST. Lots of information here: http://www.riv.ca/

You pay the PST when you register the bike in (my case) Ontario.

I am not including the $200 cost for the airfare to Florida, or any motel/traveling expenses in this because I made it my vacation. I spent a week riding it up through the US back to Ottawa - had a great time.

There is *no* duty on importing motorcycles into Canada. Note that you will pay GST/PST (or HST) on the bike no matter where you buy it.

No matter what BMW Canada says, you *do not* need to pay a Canadian BMW dealer $500 for the "Recall Clearance Letter" if you buy it from an authorized dealer in the US. I had the BMW dealer in Florida print out the Vehicle Information report, and as long as it says something like "No outstanding campaigns" on it, RIV will accept it no problem.

Imported it through Detroit/Windsor -- the import process at the border took just over an hour (1/2 an hour exporting the bike on the Detroit side, the other half importing it on the Canadian site). You need to give the US Border Patrol 3 days (72 hours) notice to they can do their registry checks before allowing it outside the country.

After you get it back, email the Form 1 you got at the Canadian border, plus the Vehicle Information Report to RIV. The next day I received another form back from them that I brought to Canadian Tire (who does all the RIV inspections) for the final import inspection. Got the safety done the next day, brought it to the Ontario vehicle registry office and registered the bike with new Ontario plates.

It was easy - so much so that three weeks later a friend of mine did the same thing and bought himself one!

I think what helped was buying it from an authorized dealership, and not a private owner or a non-authorized vendor. Having the BMW logo on all the paperwork helped.

The only surprise was I found out you can't switch the bike computer from US measurements to Metric units without swapping out the entire computer. So it is 100% US units. Not a big deal for me, especially since I do most of my yearly riding through the US anyway...

If you want to know more details on this, let me know and I'd be happy to help.
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2010, 7:46 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Is a used 2007 R1200RT a good choice vs. the newer ones?

Thanks guys!

cpickles43,
It does sound like you saved yourself somewhere in the neighbourhood of $4000.00 CND for your efforts. Not bad. I'll start looking up used bikes at authorized USA dealerships and see what's available.

As far as the importing thing goes, on the surface it seems like a PITA but given some time I'm sure that I could wrap my poor little slow brain around all the red tape, etc...

I know that you end up spending some of the savings from the purchase of the bike on travel and hotels and restaurants, but if you tie it in with a "holiday", it makes more sense. Good plan. My first order of the day is to get myself a passport.

Thanks!
post #7 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2010, 12:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I think the '07 RT is a keeper and a future classic, because it doesn't have the servo and does have easily adjustable valves.

Moreover, the Biarritz blue color of the bike you are looking at is my favorite color.

So my answer to your question is yes to the 2007 R1200RT!

Jeff Dean
Tucson, Arizona, & Madison, Wisconsin

Founder, Madison (Wisconsin) BMW Club, #1 (1968)
Co-founder, BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, #113 (1972)
Co-founder, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, #2 (1972)
Co-founder, Wooden Canoe Heritage Association, #1 (1979)
Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Chief Instructor (1994)
Friend of the Marque, BMW Clubs International Council (1999)
Prof. Gerhard Knchlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
R1200RT R1250RT 1967 R60/2
post #8 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2010, 4:52 pm
Gold Supporter

One other thing that the 07 has going for it is that there is no srevice reminder light that you have to have reset. That started with the 08 models. One draw back is that the 07 does not have the rear drive drain plug that the 08 and later models do. It is not a big deal.
I just service mine when ever I replace the rear tire it just takes a few extra minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbucker
Hi guys,

I'm getting myself another bike next year, I already have a cruiser but I'd like to try something else out for a change of pace.

I've never had the chance to try out a BMW other then a quick ride around the neighbourhood on a K1200LT a couple of years ago. The LT was pretty impressive but felt so foreign to what I usually ride. Actually, I would consider a used K1200LT too now that I mention it.

But so far, I'm leaning a bit more towards a R1200RT, I think that that might suit me better.

Although I can get the money together to buy one of these bikes, I'm not really keen on spending a small fortune on a brand-new R1200RT at the dealership, I'm in Canada and prices here are pretty high to start with, you're looking at a sticker price of over $20,000 and that's with no extras on it whatsoever and then they hit you with another $800.00 + tax for freight & PDI charges and "administration fees". By the time you get a couple thousand bucks worth of options on it, you're looking at over $26,000 out the door.

So, the bargain hunter in me is always whispering in my ear.

There's a guy in my area selling his 2007 R1200RT for the same price that this same BMW dealership is asking for a 2006 R1200RT, apparently the pre-2007s had servo brakes and since I've read a fair bit of negatives on this type of brake system, I think that I'll try to avoid the pre-2007s all together.

Here's the ad for the 2007(with ABS brakes):
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ244240277

I know that you people in the States can find better deals then this all day long but around here, that's not too bad. And this bike looks to have a lot of extras already on it. This bike would save me between $9000.00 and $10,000 compared to buying a 2011 R1200RT with all of that stuff on it.

How much more bike would I be getting if I went and bought the 2011 instead?

That BMW dealership also has a used 2004 K1200LT for sale and it's probably a better deal then their R1200RT. It's only two years older, it's got less mileage, and is $2000.00 cheaper.

http://www.atlanticmotoplex.ca/motor...545f874e08.htm

Here's the BMW dealer's used 2006 R1200RT(with servo brakes):
http://www.atlanticmotoplex.ca/motor...8ec655d572.htm

Would you say that any of these three bikes are a good choice for a bargain hunter looking for a new thrill for next year? I'd guess that the dealer's 2006 R1200RT is the least attractive deal of the bunch.

If this post seems a little incoherent, it's because I've had a few wobbly pops tonight!

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #9 of 14 Old Dec 5th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Sounds like cpickles43 has come up with the answers. I poke around the web every once in awhile and there are almost always a few used RTs out there in the eastern US for sale. Had thought of the idea of fly and buy vacation myself when I was strongly considering buying a used low suspension RT.

This forum has a few used RTs for sale from time, and of course Craigslist is a decent place to look (where I found mine). You might want to check out the two sources below as well.

http://bmwsporttouring.com

http://www.ibmwr.org

If I was more (or even a little) computer literate, I would know how to make them convenient links.........................but I'm not. Sorry.

Anyway, Max's BMW in NYC and New Hampshire usually has a few used RTs for sale. They seem to be pretty decent prices for a dealership, but I think you can almost always do better via a private sale.

Good luck. They are wonderful motorcycles.
post #10 of 14 Old Dec 7th, 2010, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

I really like the looks of the R1200RT in general, they all look pretty good but that Biarritz blue might be the best out of the bunch IMHO.

I've read a number of reviews on the web on how much peppier the 2010/2011 RTs are compared to the 2007-2009s. The 2010/2011s have DOHC and that's a performance improvement according to them.

While I've never had the chance to ride any RT at all, I'll have to take their word on it.

As much as I'm drawn to get the latest and greatest that's out there, I think that I'm going to have a hell of a job convincing myself to dish out an extra crap-load of money in order to do it.

I mean, there's that 2007RT for sale on Kijiji in Halifax, Nova Scotia, that I posted a link to. The thing has a pile of extras and factory options on it already and when I look at the price of a 2011 RT and add up all that stuff, plus the Freight & PDI charges, plus taxes, I can save an easy $10,000!

So, I wouldn't be getting a brand-spankin' new bike with the extra HP or torque. But by settling for something four years old and almost as good, I'll keep ten grand in my pocket. I think I can live with a lightly used bike if I can save myself that much money but to each his own I guess.

Maybe my local BMW dealer is up for cutting me a better deal on a new bike but I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.
post #11 of 14 Old Dec 8th, 2010, 6:20 am

I had a 2006 RT and it was great. Servo wasn't an issue for me and actually I think I preferred it. The current models are certainly peppier. What they've done with the engine is amazing. However, imo, the bike is less comfortable (max time on the seat is 45mins and unacceptable buffeting with screen at any setting) and doesn't look as good.
post #12 of 14 Old Dec 8th, 2010, 2:50 pm

It sounds like you have it figured out. 2007 is the only year without servo brakes and without service reminder lights that must be reset by a dealer. You do give up a little performance over the camhead engine, but not much. Its a great bike. You'll love it and saving $10K is worth it.
post #13 of 14 Old Dec 8th, 2010, 5:31 pm

I bought a 2007 RT ABS in April of this year. It had 8400 miles on the clock and just out of warranty. So far, the problems I had were fuel pump controller failure, left Bowden cable had a snapped furl, and the ABS controller went out. ($1,900 part which was replaced by BMW on a "good will" gesture. Now that I've taken care of all that, all is well if only the weather would get warmer...

HP
post #14 of 14 Old Dec 8th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Hey that Biarritz Blue bike looks exactly like the one I bought in Florida - tank bag and all! Wowsa that tank bag was expensive -- $300 US -- but it works **fantastic**. I was caught in a Florida monsoon about 20 minutes after taking delivery of the bike, and nothing inside of it got even a little damp.

Note to BMW buyers: when you buy your bike, buy all the farkles/accessories you want ASAP while you are still on a honeymoon with your bike. That's what I'm doing. I don't know if I could ever choke down $300 on a tank bag on a bike I've owned for more than a couple of seasons....

Good luck on your search!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in