First LONG ride - yesterday 15 hours 964 miles - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

First LONG ride - yesterday 15 hours 964 miles

I had a business trip to Greenville SC last week where I had to be there on Thursday for an installation I was managing. Greenville is close to family that has been asking me to come down and do some salt water fishing in Charleston SC, so I decided to ask my boss if I could put in for mileage rather than fly and rent a car. That way I could hang out for the weekend with my cousin and go fishing over the weekend. He agreed with the plan and I started packing. I had just purchased my 2010 R1200RT and it is 100% stock and I put about 3 thousand miles on it in the past couple months. I was looking forward to a long trip and mixing business with pleasure is a great way to squeeze in a little bit of fun.

I live about 35 miles outside of Boston, Mass. My route was from central Mass to Greenville using Mass Pike - Rt 84 to Scranton PA's Rt 81 down to Rt 77. I had to be there Wednesday evening to check into the hotel and be ready for an early work start Thursday morning.

I had to work Tuesday so I got a late start at 4:30pm. I knew I wouldn't get too far but if I could get 1/2 way down I would be happy. I figured I would stop in the Virginia state line as the riding down through that Shenandoah Valley should be done in the brightness of day. It's just beautiful country even from the interstate. The ride was hot as this summers heat wave was going strong. My thermometer was reading in the high 90's. I had jeans and a BMW touring jacket with all the vents open. My full face is the Shark convertible helmet. I really like the ability to ride open face and full face with the hidden tint drop down lens. I rode with it in full face mode but with sun glasses on to get more flow. The heat sucked the life out of me and I was drinking water I carried.

The stock seat in high mode gave my legs a lot of room. The stock seats comfort was limited but not as bad as I thought it would be for the trip. I found the ability to move around changed the surface I was sitting on quite a bit. I could get 3 hours without much pain then I would start moving around quite a bit until I either had to stop for gas or bio.

When I got into Greenville I checked into my hotel and then went to verify the location of my work for the next day. The ride to the location was about 2 miles from the hotel. On the way there I noticed a ton of bikes riding by. I figured I would follow them to see what was up. It turned out to be the local H-D dealers Wednesday night "Bike Night". Live band and lots of people/bike watching. A nice free evening and a bonus feature to my ride.

Friday after finishing working the day before I checked out of the hotel and rode up into the eastern mountains just north east of Greenville. I went to Caesars Head state park in NC and did a loop through the mountains before meeting my cousin in Columbia for the ride down the the coast in his truck pulling the boat. I love those TN/NC/SC roads. No broken pavement or frost heaves. Just smooth and lots of elevation change and turns. Great views and exciting riding. It's the east coast's California mountain roads.

The ride from the mountains to Columbia had the hottest temps I have ever ridden in. I saw temps in the middle 100's topping out at 106 a few times but hovering around 104 for long stretches. That's Jacuzzi temps. It was brutal. I could only take an hour of the heat and when I pulled into a gas station/Wendy's I felt the initial signs of heat stroke. A little light headed/dizzy and nausea. I didn't notice it while riding. It was evident when I was walking though.

After a great weekend of fishing in Charleston and hanging with my cousin I had to head home yesterday.I decided to do the entire return in one sprint. The start at 7am had temps in Columbia in the low 90's. I decided to run to Target and purchase some bungee cords and ride without the jacket. I know the gear police may want to chastise me for riding without a protective jacket on. The heat was so severe that I decided to pick up a white long sleeve compression lycra shirt. That way the wind wouldn't flap it and annoy me. It worked great keeping the sun off my skin while allowing great air flow. I'm glad I lost 30 pounds recently :-).

The ride home was a lot better than the ride down. I found I could ride the whole tank in one sitting. That was over 220 miles multiple times. One trick was to stand on the pegs every now and then when safe to do so. Sort of like adjusting my pants stretch. Maybe 20 seconds of standing a couple times during the tank burn had me cruising.

I have never ridden that far before and put that kind of mileage on in that short a window. As a testament to 1200RT I went out today and took my RT. My past is filled with long days in the saddle followed by a week of never wanting to ride again.

I think this bike just changed my idea of long rides.

Tom

2010 BMW R1200RT
2004 Buell XB12R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 12:51 pm

Re: First LONG ride - yesterday 15 hours 964 miles

Congrats on the long safe ride! Sounds like you had a blast. If you did the 964 miles in less than 24 hours, you came REAL close to getting the Saddle Sore 1000 Award (1,000 miles in less than 24 hours). Another 36 miles, and you woulda had her!

Perhaps another goal?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr
... Friday after finishing working the day before I checked out of the hotel and rode up into the eastern mountains just north east of Greenville. I went to Caesars Head state park in NC and did a loop through the mountains before meeting my cousin in Columbia for the ride down the the coast in his truck pulling the boat. I love those TN/NC/SC roads. No broken pavement or frost heaves. Just smooth and lots of elevation change and turns. Great views and exciting riding. It's the east coast's California mountain roads....
Yes, they are ... and as I live in the northern part of the town of Greenvul, those roads are right in my back yard and are ridden frequently by me. I even dropped my '99 LT in the parking lot at Caesar's Head, 'bout 11 years ago. Glad you enjoyed our fine roads. And, to be honest, most of those fine roads extend from SC into western NC, with the best parts in NC.
But you can ride from central Mass. to the western part of your home state and find nice cycle roads, can't you?
- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 3:45 pm

Tom,

Congratulations on making a safe and impressive trip.
Thanks for the info on the Shark helmet - been considering investing in the Shark Evoline. Was your helmet pretty quiet or noisy during your trip?

Carl
Valrico, FL
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 4:11 pm

I have an Evoline and while it's a great helmet because of it's features.. I would still recommend ear plugs...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Glad you had a great trip despite the heat. Next time you might want to try just the opposite. Remember, once the heat get's above body temp (98 or so) moving air cannot really cool you. If the air is 100 degrees, it will heat you to 100 degrees and suck the moisture out of your body. You will be better off covering up most of your body, wearing a wicking type of shirt underneath, and dousing with water. Then wear a full mesh or leather jacket and just open one or two vents to let some air in. It will actually keep you much cooler than exposing your skin to the elements and will also help keep you from dehydrating. Most riders I know that ride in really hot temps like you describe, don't even wear a mesh jacket; but a full textile or leather. I know it sounds counter-intuitive; but try it, it really works.
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 5:49 pm

That sounds like a great trip! In deed a trip to remember, my first long trip with my R1200RT was in Feb/30 left Windsor Ont. Down through Cincinnati to Louisville Ky to the NATS truck show. When I left it was -20/f and still was worm with the grips and heated saddle plus a heated vest, when I got to Louisville it was 62/f and I was loving it! and was a good 1200/ks. Round and was back that night about 9/pm

2 Ride video"s

IBA 53744
BMW J&M CB
Sirius/XM Radio
Hyper-Lights
IBA 53744
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Albert Einstein.

A Twist of the Wrist is all that's needed.....
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 8:01 pm

If I had known you were going to be at bike night I would have came out.Never
enough Beemers at bike night!Of course the Harley dealer being right there kind of
depicts what bikes show up.Quaker Steak and Lube has a pretty good thing going
being right beside the HD shop.

I ride with A LOT of Harley riders so no bashing there.To each his own!
(I just want to be comfy!)

Peace Brothers and Sisters!

2005 R1200RT
1995 CB750 Nighthawk
1981 CB750 Custom
1978 CB750 SS
1985 Yamaha Maxim550

If it wasn't for the RIDE to work,I wouldn't go in!
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 9:17 am

Congratulations... welcome the world of BMW Touring.

You did not ask for tips but I want to pass something along... perhaps help on your next short ride... or maybe for another person.

Not being personal but... what sort of underwear do you wear? If you are sitting on anything Cotton... get rid of it. Cotton sucks. It gets damp, holds the moisture and helps create the well known and hated.... "Monkey Butt"!

Some riders swear by the various powder products to help with MB. but the real cure is getting proper underwear. My favorite is the REI brand of mid-length non-cotton briefs. Patagonia also has good stuff.

AND, get rid of those Jeans. You are flirting with real danger. Not only are they uncomfortable in the long ride, they are hot, AND mostly in the event of an "off" they are not helpful. Make a small investment in real riding pants and be comfortable and safe at the same time.

I ride in First Gear Mesh pants that have pads in the hips and knees. The mesh is great in the heat. The liners go in or out as needed- like in the morning when it may be a bit chilly, then take them out at the first gas stop. In the event of a little (or a lot) of rain they are very dry- with the liner in.

The BMW Summer Pant has caught my eye too. I like the ability to zip off the lower leg to make shorts... not to ride in but for walking around.

Congratulations on the ride.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 10:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz
[snip]... The BMW Summer Pant has caught my eye too. I like the ability to zip off the lower leg to make shorts... not to ride in but for walking around.
FWIW... I found the BMW City Pant to be quite comfortable. It has a comfortable lining inside the pants. With a Bead Rider seat cushion for additional air circulation, I've never gotten monkey butt. Thanks for the tip on the REI underwear - I'll check that out too.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #11 of 14 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 3:32 pm

I made my post in a hurry this morning... and failed to use the word "Wicking" with regard to underwear... REI Wicking, or Patagonia Wicking...

One more thing.. I would have guessed that Patagonia stuff was universally better, but frankly, I like the REI. It is snugger in the right places... if you know what I mean and that makes for greater riding comfort.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 4:05 pm

Quote:

You did not ask for tips but I want to pass something along... perhaps help on your next short ride... or maybe for another person.

Not being personal but... what sort of underwear do you wear? If you are sitting on anything Cotton... get rid of it. Cotton sucks. It gets damp, holds the moisture and helps create the well known and hated.... "Monkey Butt"!

Some riders swear by the various powder products to help with MB. but the real cure is getting proper underwear. My favorite is the REI brand of mid-length non-cotton briefs. Patagonia also has good stuff.

AND, get rid of those Jeans. You are flirting with real danger. Not only are they uncomfortable in the long ride, they are hot, AND mostly in the event of an "off" they are not helpful. Make a small investment in real riding pants and be comfortable and safe at the same time.

I ride in First Gear Mesh pants that have pads in the hips and knees. The mesh is great in the heat. The liners go in or out as needed- like in the morning when it may be a bit chilly, then take them out at the first gas stop. In the event of a little (or a lot) of rain they are very dry- with the liner in.

The BMW Summer Pant has caught my eye too. I like the ability to zip off the lower leg to make shorts... not to ride in but for walking around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nice ride - I did one like that accidentally from Memphis TN to Tampa, about 950 miles in about the same amount of time on my K1200LT. Was just in the mood to ride and didn't feel like stopping.! Eat light meals, snack and keep sipping drinks.....

By the way, my riding pants have the zip off legs and IMO, a waste of money and the zipper annoys me. Never take off the legs.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 14 Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 12:35 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great responses.

Regarding some questions

Shark Evoline - It's heavy yet sits well in full face mode. The weight shifts to the rear and the helmet pulls on the forehead a bit in open face mode. Leave it open for a while and you feel the pressure on the forehead as pain. Noise isn't that bad.

Underwear - I agree with sport boxer brief bicycle style undies. I pay extra for these but they are worth it. I have Lycra boxer briefs that are thin and work in extremes. Great for under a bathing suit for long walks on the beach in a damp suit.

Pants - I hated riding in jeans but I don't have any summer riding pants yet. I'm trying to decide what to purchase. I would like to get the AeroStich one piece suit as my suit. I encountered a lot of brief thunder showers on the way down. I'd stop and put my liner in my vented jacket only to have to stop 15 miles down the road and remove it as the sun was back up and temps were in the 90's. I am one of those people that will be damp. It will either be a sweaty rain suit stew or from rain getting through. The GoreTex helps but still the trash bag effect is still strong.

I'm not sure what is best.

Tom

2010 BMW R1200RT
2004 Buell XB12R
post #14 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 4:36 pm

Quote:

Great advice...just bought some new underwear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in