BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

2010 R1200RT Engine Dying

21K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  AndrewR1200RT 
#1 ·
I just got my 2010 R1200RT last week. I've taken a couple of short rides ( around 50km ) with no problems, but starting yesterday, the bike began to die.

The first time it died I was coming to a stop at an intersection. I had pulled in the clutch and was coasting to the stop sign using the brakes to bring me to a stop. When I went to pull out, I twisted the throttle and there was nothing there, the engine had died. I had the radio on so I hadn't noticed. I thought maybe I did something wrong, so I hit the starter switch and away it went.

The second time it died was about 5 minutes later. I was doing around 100km/h down the highway with the cruise control on. I flipped the cruise off and watched the RPM drop to 0. I pulled in the clutch, hit the starter switch again, and away I went.

Third time it died was today. I was stopped at an intersection, pulled out in first gear, changed into second, twisted the throttle and again the RPM's dropped to zero and the engine was off. Clutch in, starter switch, engine starts going again.

Fourth time, about 10 minutes later ( I'm now heading to the dealership ) I'm riding in third gear and give the throttle a bit of a twist. Heard the engine cough twice and it was gone. By now I'm really good and relaxed restarting the engine while still moving in traffic.

The odometer just moved over 350km and I'm on my second tank of gas ( only using premium). The outside temperature when the engine has died is around 8C to 10C. In the mornings it's about -8C but I have no problems with it then.

It's going to get checked out at the dealership tomorrow. Hopefully they'll be able to find something with it.

Has anybody else had a similar experience with their RT?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear that. :(

Speculation: Hmm. Sounds like the stalling problems K13's were having. ... This may be a reach, but don't the new RTs use the same handlebar switchgear? Wasn't there some sort of recall around those on the K13s? ... (mumble...) IIRC there's also an issue with intake build-up the throttle bodies on the K13s.

Edit add: My Guzzi did that once, exactly as described. Turned out to be a stuck fuel tank vent valve. Vacuum would build up until the fuel pump couldn't overcome it. Bike just died. Open the tank cap -- WHOOSH! --- Bike runs fine for another 10 minutes then dies again. Solution was removal of valve. Maybe you have a kinked vent line?

#3 ·
Wow, I just read up on the K13 stalling problem and it does sound like a similar issue. Reading through a couple of threads, it sounds like the handlebar switch didn't help the stalling issue. I was thinking it was going to be something simple like a sidestand switch going flakey causing the engine to drop out, but this may turn into an ugly problem.

This is my first BMW and I'm really enjoying the bike. I just hope this problem can get resolved and I don't end up regretting getting rid of my VStrom.

Thanks.

#4 ·
harrbca said:
... I was thinking it was going to be something simple like a sidestand switch going flakey causing the engine to drop out, but this may turn into an ugly problem....
Don't man the lifeboats yet! It may very well turn out to be something really simple and dealer-prep related (like a sidestand switch). Occam's Razor and all that. :)

Let the dealer sort it out. You've paid for it. :bmw:

#5 ·
Yup, it's heading in tomorrow morning. It stalled on me three more times on the way home. I rode about 35km with no problems, then stopped to get the mail. I got back on it, shifted into first, twisted the throttle up to about 5500 RPM ( cranked it on purpose ), then clutch in/throttle off to shift into second and I felt it die.

Then I started playing. I made it die again when I was approaching an intersection. Throttle off to downshift ( while pulling in the clutch ) and it died. Then I was riding in 5th gear about 90km/hour and throttled off and engine braked. Sure enough, when I began to apply the throttle again, there was no power.

At least this is a consistent problem. 7 times in two days!

:)

#6 ·
700K's on the clock (2010 R1200RT) and still running in. Had it back to the shop today for what sounds like, if not the exact same thing, then pretty close.
Symptoms: Whenever coming idling down to the first corner/intersection when starting a ride, would see the engine die completely requiring quick clutch and starter to get going again. Would usually only do this first corner then would be fine for the rest of the ride. Thought it may be a warming up thing, but would go for a good ride, pull into a servo to refuel and sure enough, first idle down to a corner would see the engine die. Was able to prevent this from occurring by not idling into a corner but approaching the first few corners/intersections clutch in and using brake. Couple of minutes into the ride would then see the bike being able to then idle into the corners.
Fix: (Hopefully) Bike was hooked up to the computer at the dealership and spent the next hour and a bit having a major download/updates installed from BMW. So far so good, has not displayed the same symptoms since.

Have been told that this has occurred in a (very) few other RT's. Have a chat with your dealer and see about having the latest updates installed.

Cheers,

Andrew

#7 ·
I had the same symptoms when the TPS (throttle position sensor) which is attached to the left air tube next to the fuel injector had crapped out. A quick swap and I was back on the road. Let us know what your diagnosis is.

harrbca said:
Yup, it's heading in tomorrow morning. It stalled on me three more times on the way home. I rode about 35km with no problems, then stopped to get the mail. I got back on it, shifted into first, twisted the throttle up to about 5500 RPM ( cranked it on purpose ), then clutch in/throttle off to shift into second and I felt it die.

Then I started playing. I made it die again when I was approaching an intersection. Throttle off to downshift ( while pulling in the clutch ) and it died. Then I was riding in 5th gear about 90km/hour and throttled off and engine braked. Sure enough, when I began to apply the throttle again, there was no power.

At least this is a consistent problem. 7 times in two days!

#8 ·
I got the bike back from the dealer today.

The service manager remembered a service bulletin last year about the 650's and the 800's having pretty much the exact problem I described. When they hooked the bike up to the computer, sure enough there was new software to be downloaded.

The BMS-KP was reprogrammed to part# 7729120. The ZFE was programmed to 7722244 and the ATA/RDC was reprogrammed to 7723485.

The dealer also noticed that the throttle body sync was out a bit and adjusted that too.

I made the trip home ( around 50km's ) without any problems at all.

Loving the RT!

#9 ·
Your dealer should have checked for any outstanding updates and service bulletins via your VIN number as part of the PDI. Also, the PDI checklist includes a road test of the bike, which should have uncovered the stalling problem. Pretty poor show by the dealer, I'd say.

#10 ·
Good to hear it was just a firmware update issue.

//minor hijack//
With WiFi transmitters being disposible and tiny these days, and with 99.9% of BMW owners having wireless WiFi in their homes, you've got to wonder how long until BMW just pushes these updates onto the ZFE. The bike already takes ten seconds to "boot" now.

I imagine within five years we'll see "Firmware updates are available. Download and install now?" Sure the dealer wouldn't see the $$$ for service updates, but the mothership would have greater access to real-time performance issues of the bike.

OTOH - there could be security issues. Drive in a bad neighborhood and pick up a virus! Hopefully they won't use a Microsoft OS ... :D

It sure would make repo's easy for BMW Credit. :(

#11 ·
rttim said:
Your dealer should have checked for any outstanding updates and service bulletins via your VIN number as part of the PDI. Also, the PDI checklist includes a road test of the bike, which should have uncovered the stalling problem. Pretty poor show by the dealer, I'd say.
I thought they would have picked it up during the PDI as well, but they did burble something about their computer not having the latest software on it and they needed to get passwords from someone to get it updated. Mine was the first 2010 RT sold out of their shop this year, I'm sure they've learned to update the software on any others they sell.

I'm curious how often software updates are made available for the bikes and how us owners find out about any updates or service bulletins issued without having to knock on our dealers doors.

#13 ·
rttim said:
+1 on that. I'm going to verify this before I pick mine up next week

#15 ·
Hah, same situation happened to me this morning. I accelerated hard and was doing about 120km/h in 5th gear when I figured I better cut back a bit. I rolled off the throttle and the engine stalled. Clutch in, hit the starter and ( had to do it twice, didn't hold it down long enough the first time ) and it fired right up.

Now, I'm kind of lucky the engine stalled because the car coming towards me was a cop! With the smoothness of the acceleration, I find it's real easy to lose track of how fast your going.

I've called the dealership and spoke with the service manager. He's going to contact BMW and find out what else can be done.

#16 ·
I'm starting to notice a pattern with the stalling. If I hard accelerate up through a couple of gears, then roll off the throttle or clutch in, it stalls. I think it's all part of the antitheft system.

If I "Ride it like I stole it", the new fangled anitheft unit kicks in and figures the bike is actually being stolen. Then, in an attempt to deter the theft, it kills the engine. I pity any theif stealing this bike, they won't make it very far.

#17 ·
Just heard back from the dealer today. They spoke with the BMW guys and were told that a service bulletin is due out in a couple of days that deals specifically with this issue. Apparantly, they need to change the cam timing on one of the exhausts to correct the issue (?? I'm not that mechanically inclined when it comes to engines). Before my dealer can make the fix, they need to order in some special tools. I have the bike booked in on April 9th for its run in service and they'll change the timing then.

I'm assuming this fix is required because of the new engine in the 2010. At least something is being done about the problem.

I'll keep everyone posted when the fix is done.

#18 ·
Wowzer. So this means one new cam? So the bike will have asymmetric cam grinds. Odd solution to do just one. Or were you talking about the EXUP valve in the exhaust?

If you get fed up and want to downgrade, my local dealer still has a new, loaded black 09 on his floor... ;)

#19 ·
I don't even know what an EXUP valve is. :) He certainly did say it was cam timing though. I was just pleased that there is a known issue with it and that they will get it fixed. The last time it stalled on me it sounded like it backfired or popped a couple of times before finally dying.

You know, with the issue i've had with the bike stalling, I still wouldn't trade it for anything else. I think it looks fantastic and it is a pretty awesome ride compared to what I'm used too. Even when it's 17degrees F outside, the fairing protection still keeps the wind off of me. I have a heated vest but havn't gotten around to putting the BMW plug onto it. I figured I'll wait until summer to do that. :rolleyes:

#20 ·
harrbca said:
I don't even know what an EXUP valve is. :) ....
I use "EXUP" as a lot of people use the terms Kleenex or Xerox. Yamaha was the first motorcycle manufacturer to use one of these. EXUP is Yamaha's phrase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_ultimate_power_valve

It's the computer controlled tuning valve in the exhaust pipe that controls the amount of backpressure the engine sees from the exhaust. Like variable valve timing on the intake valves, it can optimize the engine power output at various RPMs: more backpressure at lower revs to increase exhaust scavenging and improve torque, less backpressure at higher revs to improve overall throughput. It's part of the reason the new Camhead engines have a fatter torque curve.

The 2010 models are the first R-series engines to use one.

Keep us posted. I'm already saving for my 2013 RT (assuming the Mayans are wrong...)

#21 ·
Oh yeah, that little black thingy on the exhaust with the servo connections. I'm pretty sure that when it quits working, its going to quit working in the most inconvenient position possible. :)

I'm guessing if that was the problem, they could do a software update to change the way it was controlled. I'm pretty sure he was talking abou the DOHC on the engine.

I guess this is all part of the bugs that need to get worked out in a new engine design. Oh well!

It snowed out here today, so hopefully by the weekend it should be warm out again. I've still got some more running in to do on the bike. I wonder if I'll get a free run-in service check. After the work it's already had done to it, I'm not sure what more there would be to do on it.

#22 ·
FWIW, when I first got my R 1200 RT 08 model it stalled on several occassions when weather changed seemed like and then really bad once which I attributed to bad gasoline.

This may sound crazy but I put one of those wrist savers on my throttle grip to make it easier to relax my throttle hand on long trips and it showed up as a fault on one of my services. The tech pulled it off cleared the fault and I had no more problems with intermittent stalls. Today I let it sit out all night in the cold dew and it was cranky about idling when I first cranked it up so I thought I might have bad gas on condesation somewhere due to the heavy dew and overall wet condition of the bike and the very cold morning (forty degree)

I rebooted the whole thing after a twenty second wait and it was fine all day.

These stalls seem to happen on newer bikes and as you run it in and service it they seem to happen less and less. I call them gremlins but as long as it always starts back up I don't worry about it much.

I did have it cut off once in the middle of a corner and that wasn't fun. LOL

I've learned to pretty much ignore erratic behavior and the thing seems to do allright 99 percent of the time. I do have a gear issue that keeps cropping up but that's another story.

So far it is not worth doing anything about.

#23 ·
Had the bike back to the shop yesterday for it's first service and to try and remedy the engine dying issue as described earlier. It apparently has something to do with the cam timing and a small part inside the right hand bank that will need to be replaced (I’m thinking a recall will be in order!). The part has a locating tab that has been set wrong. There is no adjustment, it will need to be replaced. I have been assured by the boys in the workshop that it is still safe to ride, but will have said item replaced as soon as BMW can get the item out to the workshops. :mad: Disappointing that BMW would allow something like this to get past QA having seen the offending item and how far out the locating tab is. Will keep you up to date as soon as I find out anything more on this.

Knowing what I know now, would I still have gone through with purchase of this bike - hell yes! Still get a huge thrill whenever I ride it. The dealership was kind enough to give me a loaner bike for the day, a Demo F800ST. Nice bike, very zippy, but by the end of the day, I was pining for the RT.

Cheers,

Andrew

#26 ·
So, my bike went in yesterday to have "the fix" done. According to the service manager, the timing of one of the cams in the right cyclinder was off by 4 degrees which was causing the "erratic" engine behavior. He said they had to order in a special tool to make the fix, but didn't mention anything about replacing a part.

I've put about 100miles onto it since the fix yesterday and so far no problems. Maybe this has finally corrected the issue!

Definitley a great bike despite the annoying ( but hopefully fixed ) engine problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.