Importing a R1200RT to Canada - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 11:29 am Thread Starter

Importing a R1200RT to Canada

Dilemma: Up here in Canada, used R1200RT's command a hefty price tag. I like the idea of saving a tidy sum of $ and getting a used 1200 from a US Beemer dealer. With our Cdn $ flirting with at par, it could prove to be the deal clincher. Some had mentioned MAX BMW. They also sell on Ebay I see. Good to deal with? Any other Beemer dealers that are worth consideration? I bought a jacket from the Grassroots BMW dealer in Missouri. Nice folks, friendly and honest. Is there a best model year to buy a R1200RT?

Any forum members knowledable in importing a bike to Canada? All I know is that BMW Canada levies a $500 fee to register a US bike here in Canada. Would any residual warranty be valid here? Feel free to PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 11:56 am

Thumbs up Re: Importing a R1200RT to Canada

I purchased a 1200 LT (2005) from a dealer in New York in 2008 November.

Had the dealer get the "clearence letter" from BMW. This saved me the $ 500 dollars BMW Canada wanted. I did this when the money was at par!!! saved about 5,000.

One thing to remember, have all the paper work ( RIV paper work, title and copy of purchase order and check at the border 72 hours before you cross the border).

Check the RIV web site to get the paperwork and info required to purchase a US bike. The procedure went well!!!

Besides the inspections needed ( canadian tire Federal inspection, included with the $ 200 dollar RIV fee) and the provincial inspection ( 75.00) it was a little longer getting things done, but well worth the savings!!

Would do it again.

Good luck!!

Bowdon
post #3 of 3 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 2:21 pm

Re: Importing a R1200RT to Canada

I originally looked at buying my 08 RT form the US but after all was said and done, i would not have saved enough to make it worth my while. Local is certainly more convenient, and i am basically lazy But i have had a couple of experiences with MAX BMW and they are fantastic. I have ordered a couple of things from them, talked to them about service needs and so on and they have been unfailingly helpful. I actually preferre to deal with them than my local dealer, and parts cost less than local too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in