BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Trip report on mileage and seat comfort

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SteveInWa 
#1 ·
I just returned home after a 3800 mile trip from my home near Tacoma Wa, to CoeurDeAlene Id, Kallispel Mt, Missoula Mt, Bozeman Mt, Cody Wy, Dillon, Wy, Ketchum Id, Riggins Id, CoeurDeAlene Id, and back home. Two things on the trip that I was interested in were mileage and seat comfort.
Mileage was interesting. I started the ride with about 2k miles on the odo and getting 49 mpg. In the end I had 5.8k miles on the odo and was getting 55 mpg. It didn't seem to matter what each days ride consisted of either. Charging hard in the twisties or droning along straight roads. One interesting note was I ran the tank down to ------ on the BC but was only able to put 6.3 gallons in. That perplexed me as I wasn't sure if I had .8 gallons left in the tank and the computer was wrong or I never really filled up the tank to it's 7.1 gallon capacity and was operating day to day on about 6 gallons. After reading some posts from a search on "mileage", it would seem that I indeed had .8 gallons left and the computer was wrong although I won't be testing this again since riding with the light on and the gas low symbol flashing isn't fun.
The seat also suprised me. I had only done 350 mile days during the first 2k and wasn't sure I made the right decision to put off having the seat done since I had experienced some discomfort previously. While the seat did give me some numbness in my buttocks after a couple of hours, with stops and repositioning on the seat, the stock seat performed fine and I came home feeling fresh and ready to go again.
On a third note, this bike is a blast in the twisties. I ran it hard into corners, used all of the tread, and had a blast. Power was always there for passing and it didn't hiccup the entire time although it was running a bit rougher at the end but I believe the 6k service will fix that. I couldn't be happier about my switch from an Aprilia Futura to the R1200RT. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the interesting report. I have approx 6,400 miles on my 08 and I am getting around 54 to 55 mpg on road trips. I have a AirHawk that I use on long rides and it works well. I took a short 130 mile round trip yesterday along the Mississippi River with the stock seat and it was fine. I agree on the performance and handeling of the RT. The more I ride mine the more I like it. I have had many bikes over the years but, IMHO, none can hold a candle to the RT. It just seems to work so well. No engine heat plus it has the options that a true touring bike should have.

#3 ·
R1200RG,

I have an '05 RT and was getting 51-52 mpg on trips until recently when it dropped to mid- to low-40's during the last Iron Butt Ride. I am hoping the 24k service just completed will take care of it and will see during my upcoming trip to Whistler. Newer RTs have routinely been delivering high 40's and low 50's in mpg on the road from what I can gather.

The low fuel warning comes on when 5.1 gals have been expended. When you get to --- on the BC, that is at 6.1 expended. The fact you went a bit past the --- mark and put in 6.3 seem entirely possible. It is a 7.1 gal tank so there is a one gal reserve on top of the one gal warning. I was concerned about the same until I checked with the dealer and they corrected me with what I listed above.

About the seat, I finally had a custom seat done this year. The stock never really worked for me as my cheeks would go numb after about 100 mi or so. Tried an aftermarket and sent it back. Finally broke down and bought a custom with a ride-in appointment this past May and promptly went on my first Iron Butt a month later with NO issues. If the stock seat is not bothering you, don't worry about it. If it starts to bug you - go straight to a custom as it will cost about the same as an aftermarket. FWIW, I used Rick Mayer and have been happy with it after over 3k miles. I have a couple of trips totaling over 4k miles in the next couple of months so that will definitely wring it out.

I love my RT - enjoy yours! I have added plenty of farkles to make the trips more enjoyable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.