Ohlins and ESA - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Mar 20th, 2009, 12:32 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Question Ohlins and ESA

I have 12k on my 07RT and have been reading about replacing the shocks with Ohlins. Forgive my naivety but does anyone know if Ohlins can be installed and still use the ESA?

Thanks in advance.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Mar 20th, 2009, 2:34 pm

Re: Ohlins and ESA

Installing Ohlins will remove ESA function.

2006 R1200RT (Graphite)
1981 Honda GL1100 Std (sold)
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 (long gone)
1988 Suzuki Intruder 750 (long gone)
post #3 of 13 Old Mar 20th, 2009, 4:29 pm

Out of curiosity, what's the expected life expectancy (mileage) of the stock shocks with ESA and cost of replacement?

THANKS,
Mike

post #4 of 13 Old Mar 20th, 2009, 5:56 pm

If you want to keep ESA, Works Performance make replacement shocks that keeps the ESA feature. Do not know how well they work but if you want to Keep ESA they might be worth checking out or maybe someone on the board can give you first hand comments.
Larry
post #5 of 13 Old Mar 20th, 2009, 6:08 pm

OK, I have to ask this, if you thought highly enough about ESA to buy it, why would you not just replace your shocks with OEM ESA shocks when they wear out? I'm guessing they will last 30k or so before they are worn out, so it is not like you have to replace them every year. (well at least most of us wouldn't)

I understand they will be expensive, but so are Ohlins.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #6 of 13 Old Mar 20th, 2009, 7:28 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
OK, I have to ask this, if you thought highly enough about ESA to buy it, .
You are assuming I made the choice. The bike came with it and at the time I bought the bike I did not have the obvious intellect you have regarding the ESA option nor did I know that Ohlin was a shock that I may be interested in when the time came to replace the shocks.

I just know that I enjoy the convenience of making the adjustment on the fly and I have heard such great things about the Ohlins. So, I thought that I would start to research it now so that when the time came for making the decision I would be much better informed and educated about the topic and therefore not have to respond to a statement such as ""if you thought highly enough about....".

But I appreciate your response.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>
post #7 of 13 Old Mar 20th, 2009, 7:30 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: Ohlins and ESA

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilson
Installing Ohlins will remove ESA function.
Thank you for you direct and straightforward reply and furthermore, thank you for not answering a question with another question.

It is refreshing.

<center>
post #8 of 13 Old Mar 20th, 2009, 11:37 pm

Sorry, I didn't realize you were so thin skinned. My apologies.

I suggest you replace your shocks with BMW ESA shocks, but only once they are actually worn out.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #9 of 13 Old Mar 21st, 2009, 8:55 am

I own a 2009 RT with standard suspension. When deciding on the ESA suspension option I was driven away by added complexity for maintenance and also maintenance cost. While at the dealer with my GS, I witnessed a rider pay around $2,300.00 for the replacement of just the ESA rear shock just out of warranty. I priced the struts alone on the Max BMW site and if memory serves me they were $2,000.00 for the rear "strut" and $1,000.00 for the front. I haven't checked lately, but Ohlins or Wilbers are around $1,500.00 to $1,600.00 for both front and rear. I have read compliments and heard the riders in discussions praise the ESA. and of course respect their choice. Subjectively, I chose to stay away and will probably replace my shocks with Ohlins when the time arrives.
post #10 of 13 Old Mar 21st, 2009, 9:26 am

I will tell you that I thought about lowering my RT and contacted Works Performance.
They stated that you can not do away with ESA if you have it on RT bike.
And they quoted me for shocks for RT with ESA front and rear 1500.00..
If you are not lowering I would try and get most out of stock shocks before changing.
I am sorry I have ESA for I leave on lowest setting with wife riding and find anything
else is to hard a ride on bike.
And of course with the problems I have had in past another concern with ESA to worry
about on this bike and how long it will last before letting us down..Joe
post #11 of 13 Old Mar 21st, 2009, 9:45 am

This looks like a deal:
R1200RT SHOCK CARTRIDGE FRONT & REAR ESA
BMW shock cartridges from a ESA equipped 2008 R1200RT with 1K. I just had Works Suspension lower my R1200RT 1 & 1/2". What they did was replace the BMW shock cartridges and springs, what is left are WP Suspension (WHITE POWER) cartridges and spring in perfect condition. They could easley be used to replace worn units on a ESA equipped BMW. I looked up the BMW part numbers and found the cartridges can not be perched seperately only the entire shock. I will list the parts and cost below. I am not sure they are the same units on a BMW with out ESA. You can look at the numbers on you spring and shocks to see. The spring were marked, front 60-157 rear 170-178.NOTE: The parts listed are the OEM parts and can be used to rebuild worn ESA equipped R1200RT BMW's. You would need to dismantel you old shocks and replace the cartages and springs with the parts. $20.shipping
Price: $200.
Contact Dennis Allstead at <[email protected]>
Telephone 916-732-5050
Posted Sunday, March 01, 2009 at 21:19:36 (EST)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #12 of 13 Old Mar 21st, 2009, 1:37 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Mea Culpa Mea Culpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
Sorry, I didn't realize you were so thin skinned. My apologies.
No, it is I who owe you an apology - it was a really bad and long day. I do appreciate you giving your input. Thank you.

My shocks have many miles to go before I have to make the decision. I was just getting in some early research. Maybe by the time I have to pull the trigger Ohlin will have something like the Works product that will enable the keeping of the ESA.

Thanks again everyone for their responses.

<center>
post #13 of 13 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 1:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm746
I While at the dealer with my GS, I witnessed a rider pay around $2,300.00 for the replacement of just the ESA rear shock just out of warranty. I priced the struts alone on the Max BMW site and if memory serves me they were $2,000.00 for the rear "strut" and $1,000.00 for the front.
Prices must have gone up as the quote for my '06 RT rear shock was about $1,700 + $250 labor last year when the rear ESA unit was replaced under waranty. The problem was lack of communication (preload wouldn't change), but BMW decided a new shock was necessary and who am I to argue? The bike had 20,000 miles at the time and (except for setting the preload) the suspension seemed to function as new.
Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in