Corbin Seat W/Heat - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Corbin Seat W/Heat

On Thursday, July 31, 2008, I spent the day at Corbin in Hollister and had front and rear seats manufactured for my R1200RT. I selected a sewing pattern that was not standard for the RT mold, but I liked it much better (patterns are necessary when you add heating element to a Corbin seat).

This marked my 3rd Corbin seat in 15 or so years. Their factory is now in Hollister, Cal, however they were previously in Watsonville and Castroville. I had the pleasure of having seats built at all three factories over the years. Itís nice to see parts being hand made, these people are true artists.

The entire process took about 5 hours to complete and it was an enjoyable experience, met a lot of really nice riders, there were about 10 of us getting seats on Thursday.

I was a concerned that the seats would be too harsh as mentioned on numerous internet sites and posts. When I asked about seat harness, Corbin stated they had softened their seat formula earlier in the year due to the numerous inquires. I found an older demo seat on the show room floor located near a newer seat and the difference was noticeable, about 35% more pliable.

I rode my bike around for a few days and quickly found the seat to have too much thigh support causing me to tippy-toe when at a full stop. This was a big change since I had come from BMWís ďlowĒ seat to Corbinís ďnormalĒ seat (Note: Corbin does not make a low seat, however Sergeant makes both low and high seats for the RT).

I went back again today (August 4) and had the seat adjusted, removing the bulky thigh area; since it felt like I was not being held in the seat correctly I had a band of material added behind my upper backside. Corbinís installer nailed my set-up first refit, which was pretty impressive. If you're able to articulate your needs to the seat maker they are great at creating necessary adjustments.

The ride home on the updated seat confirmed that it is now near-perfect, if not perfect. It feels plush and complainant holding me like a pair of hands, the height is no longer an issue due to all the material that was removed from the sides of the seat. I also had the material changed from smooth on the top and rough on the sides to smooth all over. They offered to change the material on the rear seat to match front seat at a small cost but, after spending $1,000 on the seat, I was not up for spending anymore of my hard earned money. I did receive a 10% Law Enforcement discount, which is a little known secret, but the $100 savings was a welcome break off this expensive upgrade.

I tested the seat heaters as well on the ride to the shop this morning, it is worth noting the stock heaters come on much faster and hotter than the Corbin units. Itís as if stock are set to medium and high and Corbinís are set at low and medium. Both front and rear Corbin seats are wired directly to the bike and are indicated on the dash as if they were stock seats.

I really like the new seats but donít feel they were worth $1,000 but then again, the RT1200 is not worth $20,000, (to me anyway) but both are what you will pay if you want to play.

If you get any after market seat, you should make a trip to the shop of choice or else resign yourself to perhaps paying the same for a less then custom seat since you won't be there to make adjustments, if needed.

Michael

Last edited by Vffr1; Aug 4th, 2008 at 11:47 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 11:06 pm

Re: Corbin Seat W/Heat

Corbin does not make a low seat for the 12RT, but they will customize your existing low seat. At least that is my understanding. Am I wrong?
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 11:36 pm Thread Starter

Good question. I don't know, they did not mention that as an option.

Michael

Last edited by Vffr1; Aug 4th, 2008 at 11:48 pm.

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 11:07 am

My wife just had a custom seat made for her 1200ST at Corbin (they don't make a pan for the ST) they were also able to reinstall the aftermarket heating element we had installed by another seat maker. While there I was talking to Mike Corbin and he said they could make a seat on just about any pan but it is custom and therefore a ride in situation. I have had three seats made by Corbin and my wife two, it has always been a very good and professional experience. I wish in fact when I had the "low" seat remade for my 1200RT I wish I knew they could make a custom seat on my low pan as I have always been happy with their product. Give them a call I am sure they will do their best to help you.
Larry
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 11:36 am

I recently did a ride-in on my R69S to get my Corbin solo saddle for that bike recovered. Because it was a Corbin, they charged me only for materials. I got a complete rebuild, fitted specifically to me, with new foam and a new leather cover, for $139. It took close to four hours, as they were working on half a dozen bikes at the same time.

I think they said at the time that I could ride in on the R12RT and get the original low seat rebuilt in the same manner. I'll double check to be sure. Of course, in this case I will also have to pay for the labor, so it will certainly be more than $139. I plan to get a Smuggler trunk at the same time.
post #6 of 16 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Thumbs up Re: Corbin Seat W/Heat

Mike, That is a nice looking seat IMHO. What did it cost you, as built?

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #7 of 16 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 9:05 pm

While Corbin does not make a low seat for the RT, they will custom build the seat any way you want it when you do a ride-in appointment. I have had many Corbin seats on mnay different bikes over the years and have always been very happy with the product. BUT - I have always done a ride-in; their reputaion for customer satisfaction on mail orders is sketchy at best.
When I had the Corbin seat made for my 07RT, I had them shave the foam down so that the seat is pretty close to the same height as the OEM low seat - but way more supportive and comfortable.
They are expensive but worth it in my opinion.
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 12:50 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWphreak
Mike, That is a nice looking seat IMHO. What did it cost you, as built?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vffr1
I really like the new seats but donít feel they were worth $1,000 but then again, the RT1200 is not worth $20,000, (to me anyway) but both are what you will pay if you want to play..... I did receive a 10% Law Enforcement discount, which is a little known secret, but the $100 savings was a welcome break off this expensive upgrade.

Michael

Last edited by Vffr1; Aug 6th, 2008 at 1:03 am.
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 1:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedae
I have had many Corbin seats on mnay different bikes over the years and have always been very happy with the product. BUT - I have always done a ride-in; their reputaion for customer satisfaction on mail orders is sketchy at best.
Your experience is much like mine. Ride-ins are definitely the way to go if you are reasonably close to Hollister. For me, living in Altadena, it's a pleasant one day trip, overnight at my brother's house in San Jose, and home the next day.

When I take the RT in, I will ask them to reshape the low seat, adding no more than half an inch in height. With proper contouring and foam, it should be a big improvement. I'll probably have the bike for several years, so in my thinking I just ammortize the cost over several years.
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 10th, 2008, 1:41 am Thread Starter

I wish I would of thought of this before, but I wonder how much money I would of saved if I used my stock seat pans and stock heaters? Hrmmm.

Michael
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 12:34 pm

Re: Corbin Seat W/Heat [CORRECTION!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_M
When I take the RT in, I will ask them to reshape the low seat, adding no more than half an inch in height. With proper contouring and foam, it should be a big improvement.
When I phoned today to confirm that Corbin would customize my existing low seat, the rep said that they will only work on pan/frames of their own manufacture. They will not, repeat not, customize a seat on a stock R12RT pan.

Sorry for causing confusion. I think I'll try to find someone local (LA area) who can make the changes I have in mind.
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 1:24 pm

Thumbs up Re: Corbin Seat W/Heat

I have a Corbin Smuggler's Trunk on my R12RT and I love it. It adds much needed storage space for tools and other gear and I think it looks great on the RT along with the Corbin seat. Quality of build is superb and the color match was spot on.
post #13 of 16 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 12:33 am Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for the updates, I wanted to say my Corbin is breaking in real nice, I'm really satisfied, feels perfect, I would not change a thing (expect pay less for the seat).

This past weekend I had the chance of sitting on an RT12 that had a Rick Mayer seat. It was put on a stock low pan but was as high if not higher than the normal seat set to the highest position. It seems they put what looked like 6+ inches of soft foam on their seats, it was very soft, but offered no support. No likey on my bikey.

Michael
post #14 of 16 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 12:05 am Thread Starter

Long trip update: I did a 800 mile ride in three days and I can say I didn't think about the seat one time, this is a good thing. I had no back ache's or pain, I really love this seat, free at last, free at last.

Michael
post #15 of 16 Old Jan 25th, 2009, 10:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBeemer
I have a Corbin Smuggler's Trunk on my R12RT and I love it. It adds much needed storage space for tools and other gear and I think it looks great on the RT along with the Corbin seat. Quality of build is superb and the color match was spot on.
It should be for what it costs . I can't believe they sell a front/rear heated seat with backrest for a Honda ST for $700 and a single front seat (no backrest) for an RT is only $140 less . Typical gauging of Beemer owners .
post #16 of 16 Old Jun 21st, 2009, 12:11 pm

Also have the corbin with smuggler on my 08 gt.At 10,000 miles I had to take it back as the hard seat never did break in.Julio is a genius.He softened the seat and the ride home was with nary a butt burn.The secret is to tell them what you want.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in