BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

49litre Top Box (Basic)

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Renzo 
#1 ·
Hi folks I’ve tried to research without success so I’m hoping someone may be able to assist. I’ve just purchased the current version 49 litre Top Box for my R1250RT but it is the basic version. Does anyone know if I can add a power cable to this so that I can then link to the socket under the rear seat giving central locking and light etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
I am certain it is possible. The harness is not enabled or disabled by any specific top box. It's entirely about the lights and wiring. Meaning, if you can get the harness and lights, then it will work. The bigger question is, can the harness and lights be obtained as a stand alone purchase, without purchasing the lighted top box. I do not know the answer to this.

I had a GIVI top box that came on my bike. That top box was lighted, and it had a connecting cable, but was never hooked to the bike. This was likely because they did not have the connector that is required to connect to the bike. Personally, I don't like the GIVI top box, and don't like the BMW box much better, so I sold it and got the large soft bag instead, which I like much better.

For me, I don't think the lights on the top box are of great benefit. The turn signals on the back of the RT are very visible. And in for the brake light, I prefer the flashing DENALIU B6.

With such large side cases, I really don't need a top box all the time, so when I do I just use the soft bag, and don't have to deal with removing the front and rear seat to access a connector.

So honestly, I don't know that the cost of trying to light the basic unlit top box is worth it... But that's entirely up to you.

#3 ·
Thanks for your valuable input. It would be interesting to know as you said if the electrical harness can be purchased for the 49l box as a stand alone? I really wanted this so that I could open and lock the box via my central locking and then maybe add the lights to the box at a later date. Anyone out there aware of the harness being a viable purchase?

#4 ·
This whole thing reminds me of when I bought an Audi Q7 for my wife back in 2014. I got the thing home before I realized it did not have a receiver hitch on it. I called the Audi dealer and they told me it would cost $3400 to add the receiver hitch. I thought that was a bit high, and looked for other hitches, and found they could be had for $150. BUT because the car is all computer controlled with LED lighting, you can't just go splicing wires to control your trailer's electronic lights. There was a trailer controller module that had to be added to the car, to control the trailer lights (and brakes). But I quickly learned that this module was only sold as part of the full hitch kit. The same one that Audi was wanting to install for $3400. I ended up getting the kit from Amazon for $950, as it was a pretty common kit, being used on the Audi Q7, Porche Cayenne, and VW Tuareg. So, I got the kit and removed the bumper skirt and rear bumper, and replaced it with the new hitch, and installed the module and put it all back together. It was then that I learned that the car did not recognize the module, and that it needed to be turned on in the car's computer. I tried finding a shop that could do this for me, but none could help (or would not help). I ended up having to purchase the Ross VagCom system for $350, and do the re-programming myself using my notebook computer and their software and interface cable. I had to activate the module, and then change many other settings, so that when a trailer harness was connected, it disabled the backup sensors, stiffened the rear suspension, widened the range for the radar adaptive cruise control, widened the view of the blind spot detection, adjusted the shift points on the transmission, and adjusted the anti-lock braking system for a heavier load. It was insane... The lesson I learned was that on these complex machines, DIY electronic hacks can be more trouble than they are worth.

When I got my RT, and wanted to add a flashing brake light, I started researching and learned that I would encounter many of the same issues as with the Audi. I ultimately decided to go with the DENALI SmartCAN system, and their B6 tail light, and added a pair of DR1 driving lights along with it, and pre-wired for a 2nd set of future lights and an upgraded horn (probably a DENALI SoundBomb).

So, getting back on topic of your top box lighting... Your only option may be to get a BMW kit that works as a plug an play solution. Unfortunately, I don't know if these are available, or at what cost.

I have always said BMW is an abbreviation for a German phrase that roughly translates to "we will nickel and dime you into poverty", but I still think it's worth it for the quality and performance of the RT.

I will also do some googling, and if I find anything on a harness, I will post it back here, if you have still not found a solution.

-Dana

#5 ·
You're going to need a hell of a lot more than a simple cable. If you didn't buy the electrified trunk, none of the wiring, lights, and central locking equipment is in the trunk. It wouldn't be cheap to add all of those, if you can at all.

Now if you had the electrified trunk, you can add a simple cable to get the trunk light to work and the brake light to work. But adding central locking is again another big job.

To do the central locking, you also need the alarm, plus a whole host of other parts. I've started down this road a few years ago. I've made some progress. But officially BMW says you can't do it. They didn't design the computer for CL/Alarm to be added after the fact. However, I've been working with another forum member, and it is possible. But a lot of gotch ya's involved. You'd think it would be easy, but it's not. To get full locking in just parts, it was $1275.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/185001-central-locking-self-install.html

Now if you have central locking and alarm already on the bike, you just need to sell your truck and buy the proper new one with electrical. Then it plugs in under the passenger seat.

#6 ·
Dana fantastic story and very interesting 😜. I received the following reply from a gentleman on another forum. Looks like it can’t be done 😩

I've got the basic 49l top box, didn't want to pay the extra £200 for the wiring harness to make it central locking like the bike. This was on a 2014 model. When I upgraded to the full fat 17MY I asked about getting the wiring harness for the box. The answer is that the boxes only come wired or not. You can't get the wiring on it's own. I did some research myself & have been unable to find the harness anywhere, including breakers.

#7 ·
Thanks 92Merc I do have the alarm and central locking on my bike. I have just purchased the Top Box second hand. It comes with a key and matches my bikes colour so I can’t grumble. I’ll stick with it meantime and hopefully the Delux box will come available in the future then I’ll sell the basic one on. Thanks so much for your input.

#10 ·
92merc got it spot on! First, you need to make sure that the top-box that you have is the new version, because if you have the old style, you won't be able to do anything with it! Even if you have the new style, the full conversion is a lot more than just wiring. If you are happy with doing just that, then fine, but you won't have the electrical lock feature or the inside light. Perhaps you will be happy with that, otherwise I would try to swap it for the powered one, if you had originally bought your top-box from your dealer.

#11 ·
This isn't just a BMW/Audi/German thing.
We purchased a new Mitsubishi Lancer close to 10 years ago and wanted to add the fog lights. These had to be installed by the dealer as it wasn't just the kit but it also had to be enabled in the computer and just a dealer could do this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.