Sirius Activation - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MHTOUR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 19th, 2020, 4:59 am Thread Starter

Sirius Activation

I purchased my 2014 BMW R1200Rt about two months ago. The previous owner had a Sirius subscription which was recently cancelled. I went on to Sirius and got a new subscription, but on the display it says to call 1-888-539-siri. I need to get it to one of the two channels they recommend to activate my new account.

But I can't seem to change the channel, only the volume. But it's silent.

I must not be operating the settings right ... certainly it's not a big deal to activate a new subscription, I'm sure it's just me, right?

Anyone have any ideas, comments or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 19th, 2020, 9:08 am

Garage
Re: Sirius Activation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadog1951 View Post
I purchased my 2014 BMW R1200Rt about two months ago. The previous owner had a Sirius subscription which was recently cancelled. I went on to Sirius and got a new subscription, but on the display it says to call 1-888-539-siri. I need to get it to one of the two channels they recommend to activate my new account.

But I can't seem to change the channel, only the volume. But it's silent.

I must not be operating the settings right ... certainly it's not a big deal to activate a new subscription, I'm sure it's just me, right?

Anyone have any ideas, comments or suggestions?
push the wonder wheel to the left or right and that should change the channel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 R1200RT
2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
1987 K100RS (12/2015 - 12/2016)
1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)
post #3 of 14 Old May 19th, 2020, 10:50 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

When you call to activate your new radio, see what promotions they have going at this time. I am paying $35 every six months. I also have a subscription in my van that I get a discounted rate as well. They will probably try to sign you up for $99 for year as a secondary receiver. Be advised that the audio quality will be crappy in your helmet but livable. Alpine make a very poor quality Sirius card thats under the seat. It will sound ok on the speaker system (but who uses those things)

Your serial number for the radio is in the menu under the audio setting.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tvguy; May 19th, 2020 at 10:56 pm. Reason: added crap

post #4 of 14 Old May 21st, 2020, 11:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Had a 1-year free trial with my "New" '18 RTW purchased in the spring of '19. Had numerous problems with Sirius falling out of sync and at least two re-connections with a "stronger signal" (??). I do a lot of rural riding under tree canopies and would lose connection with their satellites. Additionally, I found that their music channels would be in a loop and would hear the same selections after a specific time frame.

After the trial, they started billing at a ridiculous price and after multiple tries finally cancelled the "contract" I never accepted. They use an off-shore customer service contractor and i demanded their location and address so that my attorney could file a "cease & desist order" . [Wouldn't actually spend the time of money to actually do that]

After that demand I finally contacted a "Supervisor" who reluctantly credited the account I was not going to pay. The last correspondence was a survey form to rate my experience.

I find the when I want to listen to music I choose iPhone selections through my intercom rather than other sources through the speakers that compete with road noise.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; May 21st, 2020 at 2:46 pm.
post #5 of 14 Old May 21st, 2020, 1:03 pm

I found it extremely frustrating to deal with them on my bike. I attempted to make them understand that their normal auto rates are too high for many bike owners, as our actual time utilizing the service is much lower than our autos/trucks. Several times they allowed a $30 rate for 6 months, but would not extend that rate and increased back to their normal rate at the end of the 6 month period. I already have one vehicle at normal rate and one at discounted family rate every year, and they dont want to discount the bike.

I finally gave it up and did not renew even for the $30 special, too much hassel and aggravation..

My new incoming bike will give me some free time, but I dread their attempts to renew me again next year !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #6 of 14 Old May 21st, 2020, 6:32 pm

I played the game of getting a deal and found that I really wasnít listening to it much at all so when the annual call came for the renewal I said it really wasnít a matter of getting a good deal I just wasnít interested. They renewed the subscription at the full price, tried getting a hold of customer service several times but a person can only be on hold so long before giving up, might be their strategy. Long story short I called my credit card provider explained the situation and asked for the charges to be cancelled which was done promptly. The next year Sirius called again and I told them even if I was interested I could no longer trust them with my credit card info. Now we use Apple Music which comes with us in any vehicle we ride and at work etc.

post #7 of 14 Old May 21st, 2020, 6:37 pm

Yep.....ride on totally open road if you want consistent signal. You can suspend in the offseason (used to be able) to avoid fees for on and off. I would tell them I'm only paying $5 per month to which they would say they can't but right before hang up they would find a special at $5 a month. Didn't really care if I had it but for $5 I was game. Same music over and over day after day.
tvguy likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2020, 1:05 am
Cat Herder

Garage

After you get your radio deal set up, get one of these to increase the reception.
$12-$14 on Ebay. Make sure it has the pink end on it to plug into the unit under the seat or under the front end. Sirius and BMW have dropped the ball so badly on these radios... This is no a new issue either. It been around sense 2010 that I know of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4197.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	156989  

Tvguy

post #9 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2020, 1:22 am
Cat Herder

Garage

this connetor...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4189.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	156991  

Tvguy

post #10 of 14 Old May 22nd, 2020, 7:23 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
After you get your radio deal set up, get one of these to increase the reception.
$12-$14 on Ebay. Make sure it has the pink end on it to plug into the unit under the seat or under the front end. Sirius and BMW have dropped the ball so badly on these radios... This is no a new issue either. It been around sense 2010 that I know of.
What's it called? Link?

I have Sirius on my bike and both my cars. On the bike I get a lot of drop outs (Linking..) in areas that are rock solid in my cars. I think the issue is the antennae but I haven't found anything that's rated very well outside of an antennae made for truckers that looks like an oil filter.

Thanks,
Ski

2016 BMW R1200RT in Ebony Metallic
1981 BMW R100RT in Forest Green
Honda 550 Four
Suzuki 250
Honda 175
post #11 of 14 Old May 23rd, 2020, 1:53 pm

I've never had much issue with mine, but I'm a city driver so.... I have read countless people complaining about the antenna on the RTs though. I don't know if I would fault the radio more than I would BMW for crappy implementation. The people who have added on aftermarket antennas have had nothing but great things to say on the performance increase.

That said, I do agree that their pricing is way out the window, especially with bikes. I dropped my sub a few months ago because the "promo" had expired and they started to charge me $20 something a month. They just sent me an email to resub at $60 for a year... Not riding as much now though with the COVID crap, so I'll probably still pass.
post #12 of 14 Old May 24th, 2020, 12:15 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibumwi View Post
What's it called? Link?

I have Sirius on my bike and both my cars. On the bike I get a lot of drop outs (Linking..) in areas that are rock solid in my cars. I think the issue is the antennae but I haven't found anything that's rated very well outside of an antennae made for truckers that looks like an oil filter.

Thanks,
Ski
Something like this...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SIRIUS-XM-S...cAAOSwI3RW~ISb

Tvguy

Last edited by tvguy; May 24th, 2020 at 12:44 am.
post #13 of 14 Old May 24th, 2020, 1:20 am
Cat Herder

Garage

This is the antenna under the dash. It sucks because its buried. The new unit will sit on the top of the plastic in open view of the sky.

You can run the new antenna from the connection under the seat or connect it to the extra cable already under the dash... but be careful not to bunch up the extra cable. It needs to be spread out as much as possible or it will create its own interference.

Before I installed the new antenna I would get 1-2 bars and dropped signal. And when I added the GPS locking gizmo that works with the locking system it was really bad... Now I never get drop outs even with one bar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5772.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	687.7 KB
ID:	157005  

Tvguy

Last edited by tvguy; May 24th, 2020 at 1:29 am.
post #14 of 14 Old May 24th, 2020, 11:13 am

I got a free 90 day when I first signed up, will not renew now as not riding much. Have it in my truck for ~$70 a year.

On the RT, if you are using Bluetooth, the audio out signal from the satellite receive is over-modulated going into the Bluetooth transmitter. This results in very poor audio quality in your headset.

I found that if I turned off "Loudness" and and adjusted the tone settings to near their minimums (Treble and Bass) the signal in my headset was "pretty good".

I wear earplugs so "pretty good" means I can hear the music with little distortion. It will never be Bose Noise Cancelling Headphone good, but at least I can hear it and tap my foot.

2016 R1200RT
2014 Harley Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in