Wonky Nav VI on '16 RT - Page 2 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 57 Old May 22nd, 2020, 6:09 pm

Re: Wonky Nav VI on '16 RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bie RT Gawd View Post
So I have, at least for now, a '16 RT with GPS prep and the Nav VI.

What's happening is that as I am riding along, the screen starts going berserk- it's acting like a million inputs are being sent to it rapidly. The items on the screen jump all over the place, the zoom maxes-out, touching the screen mostly doesn't do anything and flipping through the various GPS pages via the thumb wheel doesn't help.

My remedies in the past have been to remove it from the bike and really wiping-down the screen. Most of the time this seems to work, but sometimes it'll happen almost right away. As suddenly as it happens, all of this weird behavior will just disappear. I can go for a year without an issue but then have it happen three times in a week.

I am wondering if there is a problem with the Wonder Wheel and the connections in the dash for the Nav VI and somehow errant signals are being sent to the GPS? I am leaning this way because my first Nav VI behaved like this and I laid the blame at its feet and Garmin replaced the unit, but now I see that didn't help...unless there is something goofy about the Nav VI in the first place causing these issues.

Anyone else have this issue?
I have had the exact same issue a few times. The NAV VI starts rapidly switching from page to page, zooming in and out etc. Touching the screen has no effect. I have a 20S paired to the GPS. The 3rd time it happened, I thought it might be receiving some random inputs from somewhere, so I powered off the Sena, and the GPS stopped its craziness. The next time the GPS went nuts I did the same thing and it again went back to normal. Both times the 20S battery was low. Could have just been a serious coincidence. Not sure, but it hasn't happened in a couple months.

Keith

Current:
2017 R1200RT

Previous:
2017 Softail Slim S
2012 Road Glide Custom
2005 R1200GS
2003 Electra Glide
1980 Iron Head Sportster
1988 Sportster 883/1200
1984 Honda Shadow 700
1983 Honda GL 1100 Goldwing Aspencade
1974 Honda CR250 Elsinore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 Old May 22nd, 2020, 8:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyaoyas View Post
I have had the exact same issue a few times. The NAV VI starts rapidly switching from page to page, zooming in and out etc. Touching the screen has no effect. I have a 20S paired to the GPS. The 3rd time it happened, I thought it might be receiving some random inputs from somewhere, so I powered off the Sena, and the GPS stopped its craziness. The next time the GPS went nuts I did the same thing and it again went back to normal. Both times the 20S battery was low. Could have just been a serious coincidence. Not sure, but it hasn't happened in a couple months.
Yep ... that is the known issue called "ghosting". If it has happened more than once you should call Garmin and at a very minimum get the issue logged with them. But pretty sure you are on the road to needing a replacement. What you describe is exactly what happened to me. The first time I called Garmin and they logged the issue. The 2nd time they just said "let's replace it". You have a 5 year warranty on the unit so as long as it's not older than 5 years you are covered.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #53 of 57 Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:56 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
I thought I was having an issue with the "Wonder Wheel", like it was having a short or something. Turns out it was much simplier. So far no issues, but then again, the device went quite a long time after it was first replaced before it too acted up.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.

post #54 of 57 Old May 23rd, 2020, 3:58 am

Pencil eraser to the contacts, make sure they are NOT dirty or corroded.
post #55 of 57 Old May 23rd, 2020, 2:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSinNC View Post
Yep ... that is the known issue called "ghosting". If it has happened more than once you should call Garmin and at a very minimum get the issue logged with them. But pretty sure you are on the road to needing a replacement. What you describe is exactly what happened to me. The first time I called Garmin and they logged the issue. The 2nd time they just said "let's replace it". You have a 5 year warranty on the unit so as long as it's not older than 5 years you are covered.
I think I'll definitely take your advice and call them. At least have the problem documented in their system. The unit is only two years old. For the money we pay for these things, I would certainly hope the company will honor the warranty.

Keith

Current:
2017 R1200RT

Previous:
2017 Softail Slim S
2012 Road Glide Custom
2005 R1200GS
2003 Electra Glide
1980 Iron Head Sportster
1988 Sportster 883/1200
1984 Honda Shadow 700
post #56 of 57 Old May 23rd, 2020, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bie RT Gawd View Post
I thought I was having an issue with the "Wonder Wheel", like it was having a short or something. Turns out it was much simplier. So far no issues, but then again, the device went quite a long time after it was first replaced before it too acted up.
Should I assume that if Garmin replaces the unit, that the five year warranty does not start over?

Keith

Current:
2017 R1200RT

Previous:
2017 Softail Slim S
2012 Road Glide Custom
2005 R1200GS
2003 Electra Glide
1980 Iron Head Sportster
1988 Sportster 883/1200
1984 Honda Shadow 700
post #57 of 57 Old May 23rd, 2020, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Should I assume that if Garmin replaces the unit, that the five year warranty does not start over?
Correct assumption. You don't get a new 5 year warranty just the remains portion of the warranty on the unit being replaced.

Quote:
I think I'll definitely take your advice and call them. At least have the problem documented in their system. The unit is only two years old. For the money we pay for these things, I would certainly hope the company will honor the warranty.
I think you will find the customer support from Garmin to be superb. They are helpful and for me willing to replace the unit o the first call. I opted to hold off and see if it reoccured. It did. But on the first call Mike at Garmin said not to worry we have it documented and if it happens again just let us know.
Iyaoyas likes this.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in