BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Central locking trunk

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  timothya1 
#1 ·
I ran through the 2020 R1250RT build and if I am reading correctly, it appears that the only top case available has no central locking. Does anyone know if this is correct or just an oversight in the web build program? Will a top case from say a GTL fit on the RT rack?

#2 ·
I don't think that's correct. As far as I know, the 1250 RT uses the same top cases as the 1200, but there are 3 versions of the large top case.

First, is the old style - no electric, and hence no central locking.

Second is the new style, but with no electric, and hence no central locking.

Third, is what I have, which is the new style with electric and central locking capable. The locking activator is already in the case, and all that it needs from the bike is the lock/unlock signal. I also have the aux. brake light LED installed, which I love, because of the high up brake light.

#3 ·
Odd as I see only one top case option in the build. Probably a web site issue. I’ll have to check with a dealer.

#6 ·
BMW's promotion for the Q1 2020 includes a free electrified color-matched top case with the additional brake light. And BMW is offering $1000 discount on top of whatever you negotiate with the dealer.

The offer concludes today, March 31 but I bet the Q2 2020 offer continues with this same promotion.

#7 ·
Yes a GTL top case would fit. I don't know if the electrical connector will work, I suspect it would. However the electrical topcase is available as an option with central lock. The only difference between the two (GTL vs RT) is the passenger padding.

#9 ·
The RT uses the same top case as the GTL, except that the GTL top case may have more "luxurious" backrest and even arm rest (?) Otherwise, it's the same.

#8 ·
If you have central locking on the bike, both the RT electrified and the GTL top case will work. The connector will be under the passenger seat.

The GTL case has a taller backrest pad. Your passenger will like that. But you won't likely get color matched since GTL and RT colors don't match from what I've seen.

The RT electrified can be bought in color matched and has a more basic backpad.

BTW, I bought a used GTL case and had it painted to match. Works great.

#10 ·
That is probably the way I will go. It is good to know that the mounting mechanism is the same. I ride an LT now and my wife likes it much better than the GTL or any other bike we’ve ridden except the Yamaha Venture which she really like. Unfortunately, an air-cooled V-twin is not my cup of tea. The RT looks like the best replacement for my aging LT and the GTL backrest is probably the best I can do to get as close as possible to LT comfort.

And I have a great local painter so getting it painted is not a problem. Well, getting the guy to find time to paint it will be a problem, as he is the best painter within 100 miles and is always as busy as a one-armed paper hanger.

#11 ·
I have just gotten back from the dealer, getting new tires on my RT. It seems that the special deal for the 1250 RT is still in effect for April. $1,000 off and a free color-matched electrified large top case with the optional brake light! Great deal.

Matt, if you are thinking of going for the RT, then this is a good time. Now, the RT top case will come with the RT backrest, BUT since you are getting that for free, you can go ahead and replace the RT back rest with the GTL backrest. The top case will have the wiring ready for the heated backrest that the GTL has, but I suspect that you will have to do more than connect it up to use the feature.

#12 ·
I checked the prices of the three pieces that make up the GTL backrest. They are even more breathtaking than most BMW parts. $1,311 just for the backrest pads!!

#16 ·
Looking to make it as close to my LT as possible and need all three pads to do that.

Given these prices, I will first call RDL and maybe one or two other custom seat makers and see if they have any options. Russell seems to only work from stock seat pans/backrest backing plates so I doubt they can help unless I can find a wrecked GTL Exclusive with torn back rests so that I can get the underlying pans/plates at a decent price.

Attachments

#19 ·
If you are still looking for a case, I have a top case from my '17 RT available - central locking, brake light option added, light scuffing on the lower front area from where I strapped down a dry bag once or twice. If interested, message me and I can provide pictures and discuss price. Way cheaper than buying a new one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.