Unused plug? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By PadG
  • 1 Post By Rainman48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 28th, 2020, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

Unused plug?

I have a 2017 RT. I took all the tupperware off today for a 12000 mile service, and noticed an extra female plug on the left side of the bike (while sitting on it). It was towards the front of the large side panel (see pics) and didn't have anything plugged into it. My bike did not come with factory driving lights, and I wonder if that's what this plug is for. Might like to use it later on when I do add some driving lights. Anyone have any ideas?

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 29th, 2020, 7:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Unused plug?

Yep, you got it right! It's for BMW's aux. light, BUT you won't be able to use it as is. The circuit has to be turned on by the dealer's computer, and you are missing the light switch, which will have to be added via a new left switch cluster.
hopz likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 29th, 2020, 9:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Yep, you got it right! It's for BMW's aux. light, BUT you won't be able to use it as is. The circuit has to be turned on by the dealer's computer, and you are missing the light switch, which will have to be added via a new left switch cluster.
Thank you, much appreciated. I wonder if the wiring goes to the handset on the left side (unused). I would think so, but will try to confirm. I also use the Motoscan/ODB tool to read and mod the bike computer and wonder if it can turn the circuit on? I'll check that today too.

Thanks again.

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 29th, 2020, 1:40 pm

You can use DVOM and there are 2 wires, one is 12Volt possitive, 1 is ground, the last one is CAN bus feedback. As long your load is not over 5 Amps it is ok, keep in mind 1/3 rd is safety so 3.6 Amps is where you want. If you use factory lights then it has to turn on by dealer but if you tap into circuit for power the dealer doesn't have to. Some of the knock off LED rated for 120 watts which 10 Amps equivalent it is not that much it actually only 20 watts per light, this break down to 3.6 Amps for both if its exceed the Amperage this circuit will break down till you re cycle your key. On safe side you can use 4 pins relay or 5 and use it as trigger wire, the relay draws only 0.8 amps, i used this set up for almost 4 years now make sure use grease to protect your connection as it exposes to weather and corrosion will set in

Tony

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 29th, 2020, 5:40 pm

Quote:
Just a small detail.
I know you said "add" but the way you put it it sounds like you might be replacing the existing left side cluster. I would have said there is an additional narrow switch that clamps on the handlebar just inside the existing left switch cluster.
nhonnguyen61 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 BMW R1200RT
'10 BMW S1000RR
'09 Suzuki DR650
'05 Honda RC51
post #6 of 12 Old Mar 29th, 2020, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all. Didn't get a chance to check the handset for the other end of the wiring, but will do. Completing my 12k service and will do that next.

Sammy

post #7 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2020, 8:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman48 View Post
Just a small detail.
I know you said "add" but the way you put it it sounds like you might be replacing the existing left side cluster. I would have said there is an additional narrow switch that clamps on the handlebar just inside the existing left switch cluster.
Take a look at the different left switch clusters:

You will need #4 (and #5?)

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...0&rnd=07242017

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #8 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2020, 10:16 am

Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA*****************2015 R1200RT
Garage

When I was at the dealer last fall, he had a Mars Red 1250 with all the options. It had the lightbar switch not on the cluster, but on the C clamp right next to it.
post #9 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Quote:
Take a look at the different left switch clusters:

You will need #4 (and #5?)

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...0&rnd=07242017
PadG,

When I bought my 2016 RT, it was off the showroom floor and didn't have the OEM aux lights installed as a factory option. Just like the OP stated. I ordered the parts kit from the dealer at the time of the initial RT purchase along with a service contract to have them installed by them. In the end I cancelled the installation service and did that myself. What came in the kit? Just part #5 from your bare naked parts list picture, which I will assume are different variations depending on ordered from the factory, retro-fit, authority, other options, ???

Here is a parts list from MAX BMW's parts fiche from the "Auxillary" parts category that include the aux light kit part number and a closeup of the separate switch needed to operate the aux light, and it's part number and price. There is absolutely no need to replace the "cluster" to the left of it when retrofitted.

If you were to purchase a replacement "cluster" that has the switch built in, then I would suspect it would include some piece of the wiring harness to fit down to the first level connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Aux Parts.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	156201   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - Aux Parts.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	156203   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 - Aux Parts.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	156205   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 - Aux Parts.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	156207  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 BMW R1200RT
'10 BMW S1000RR
'09 Suzuki DR650
'05 Honda RC51
post #10 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2020, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman48 View Post
PadG,

When I bought my 2016 RT, it was off the showroom floor and didn't have the OEM aux lights installed as a factory option. Just like the OP stated. I ordered the parts kit from the dealer at the time of the initial RT purchase along with a service contract to have them installed by them. In the end I cancelled the installation service and did that myself. What came in the kit? Just part #5 from your bare naked parts list picture, which I will assume are different variations depending on ordered from the factory, retro-fit, authority, other options, ???

Here is a parts list from MAX BMW's parts fiche from the "Auxillary" parts category that include the aux light kit part number and a closeup of the separate switch needed to operate the aux light, and it's part number and price. There is absolutely no need to replace the "cluster" to the left of it when retrofitted.

If you were to purchase a replacement "cluster" that has the switch built in, then I would suspect it would include some piece of the wiring harness to fit down to the first level connector.
Thank you for the great input. Just so I understand, was the wiring already in place except for the switch you referenced? That switch looks to have a short pigtail that hooks up to the bike harness (somewhere). On my bike, I see the one plug on the front left that the light(s?) plugs into. Just wondering what I'll need to purchase. Thanks again.

Sammy

post #11 of 12 Old Mar 30th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgroover View Post
Thank you for the great input. Just so I understand, was the wiring already in place except for the switch you referenced? That switch looks to have a short pigtail that hooks up to the bike harness (somewhere). On my bike, I see the one plug on the front left that the light(s?) plugs into. Just wondering what I'll need to purchase. Thanks again.
The OEM aux light kit includes everything you see in the first picture of my post above. That includes part #9 which is an additional 3-way wiring harness that connects into each of the lights on the left and right via the forks and on the connector you found on your left side near the radiator. That connector is what integrates the switch, the ECU, the ignition, and the lights themselves.

I'm not clear exactly what you mean by "need to purchase". If you mean the OEM kit, then yes, all in the kit. If you mean to integrate some third party set of lights, I doubt it. You will need to know the pin-outs and other stuff I have no idea about what they do or interact with.

Good luck.

'16 BMW R1200RT
'10 BMW S1000RR
'09 Suzuki DR650
'05 Honda RC51
post #12 of 12 Old Mar 31st, 2020, 8:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92merc View Post
When I was at the dealer last fall, he had a Mars Red 1250 with all the options. It had the lightbar switch not on the cluster, but on the C clamp right next to it.
Yep, you are right!!! Sorry guys, I thought that the extra switch on top of that other switch cluster was the one for the aux. light. Should have looked at my RepROM!

BTW, I was going to get my dealer to order a Blue Planet Metallic 1250 for me at the end of February (for delivery of about now), but to change the option to have that aux. light removed from the option and to replace the standard screen with the smaller sport screen that is on the Mars Red. I was going to go in to the dealer on the last Friday of that month, but on Tuesday, the stock market took a huge plunge which forces me to redirect the fund into making more money rather than on a new bike! I guess I will just have to wait a few more months, perhaps October, and get the 2021 model instead!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in