BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Unused plug?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  PadG 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 RT. I took all the tupperware off today for a 12000 mile service, and noticed an extra female plug on the left side of the bike (while sitting on it). It was towards the front of the large side panel (see pics) and didn't have anything plugged into it. My bike did not come with factory driving lights, and I wonder if that's what this plug is for. Might like to use it later on when I do add some driving lights. Anyone have any ideas?

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep, you got it right! It's for BMW's aux. light, BUT you won't be able to use it as is. The circuit has to be turned on by the dealer's computer, and you are missing the light switch, which will have to be added via a new left switch cluster.

Reactions: hopz
#3 ·
Thank you, much appreciated. I wonder if the wiring goes to the handset on the left side (unused). I would think so, but will try to confirm. I also use the Motoscan/ODB tool to read and mod the bike computer and wonder if it can turn the circuit on? I'll check that today too.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
You can use DVOM and there are 2 wires, one is 12Volt possitive, 1 is ground, the last one is CAN bus feedback. As long your load is not over 5 Amps it is ok, keep in mind 1/3 rd is safety so 3.6 Amps is where you want. If you use factory lights then it has to turn on by dealer but if you tap into circuit for power the dealer doesn't have to. Some of the knock off LED rated for 120 watts which 10 Amps equivalent it is not that much it actually only 20 watts per light, this break down to 3.6 Amps for both if its exceed the Amperage this circuit will break down till you re cycle your key. On safe side you can use 4 pins relay or 5 and use it as trigger wire, the relay draws only 0.8 amps, i used this set up for almost 4 years now make sure use grease to protect your connection as it exposes to weather and corrosion will set in

Tony

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Yep, you are right!!! Sorry guys, I thought that the extra switch on top of that other switch cluster was the one for the aux. light. Should have looked at my RepROM!

BTW, I was going to get my dealer to order a Blue Planet Metallic 1250 for me at the end of February (for delivery of about now), but to change the option to have that aux. light removed from the option and to replace the standard screen with the smaller sport screen that is on the Mars Red. I was going to go in to the dealer on the last Friday of that month, but on Tuesday, the stock market took a huge plunge which forces me to redirect the fund into making more money rather than on a new bike! I guess I will just have to wait a few more months, perhaps October, and get the 2021 model instead!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.