BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Shelter-in-Place

3K views 39 replies 33 participants last post by  fleuger99 
#1 ·
I live in locked-down Northern California. Curious if folks are out there riding during the shelter-in-place and what the experience has been like (and any issues with law enforcement). It's a cool but beautiful sunny day and I'm itching to ride ...

#2 ·
I’m in SoCal, and even as law enforcement, I’m only now riding to and from work. That’s about it. Even so, our directives have not included enforcement stops to see where and what folks are doing...IE going to an essential job or place. As of now, it’s an ask by local and state officials to not travel unnecessarily. If the spread doesn’t slow down, it probably will get more strict...

2013 BMW R1200RT 90 Years of Motorrad 2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Past Bikes:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

#3 · (Edited)
I'm in SoCal too. I went for a ride last saturday before "Safer at home" became "Shelter in place". At this point I don't see myself riding much in the near term unless I have a necessary trip. I got new tires earlier this week too... I haven't even ridden on them yet because I dropped my wheels off at the shop and picked them up a few hours later. The bike is now sitting in my garage ready to roll.

I've been taking my Tacoma in some cases now where I would have taken the RT before, because I might find some elusive supplies that have been out of stock for a past couple of weeks as well.

#4 ·
I'm out on Long Island and we're basically in the same situation. However, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong (or in violation of any orders) with taking the bike(s) out for a ride, my wife on her CTX and me on my RT. Seems to satisfy the social distance recommendations. We can't go out for breakfast or lunch since nothing is open for eat-in service but we can pack a lunch and go sit on a bench somewhere by ourselves, which we did yesterday. No long distance trips of course but at least we can get out from the house for a little while.

Reactions: reg26
#5 ·
There is a shelter in place order for the state of Oregon, but there are mixed signals coming from law enforcement regarding what they will do about it. The sheriffs department has stated they have no plans for enforcement...the city police department has stated they will start with warnings, then progress to writing misdemeanor tickets. Who knows? Since grocery shopping is an allowed essential service, seems I would always just say I'm heading to the grocery store if stopped.

However, other than driving to parks for trail running exercise, I am honoring the spirit of the direction and trying to mostly stay home and avoid people. Bikes are parked for now (although, the weather hasn't exactly been conducive to riding).

#6 ·
I live in Oregon as well...

Grocery, pharmacy, essential trips unaffected.

Since I’m an engineer in a critical industry I can travel to/from a jobsite without a problem...by R1200RT when I can.

I have no problem doing a backroad ride on the RT just to get out of the house - per Oregon Executive Order 20-12, 1(d):

Individuals may go outside for outside recreational activities (walking, hiking, etc.), but must limit those activities to non-contact, and are prohibited from engaging in outdoor activities where it is not possible to maintain appropriate social distancing (six feet or more between individuals).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
I live in the Sierra foothills just outside of Sacramento. I just got back from a 200 mile jaunt along an old Sacramento River road (Hwy 45) and then through the beautiful Capay Valley (Hwy 16). I can't think of any way that Covid-19 can be spread either to me or from me while on the motorcycle. But, there are considerations about riding at this time. When I refuel I glove up with nitrile gloves. When done and when I have carefully pulled the gloves off, I use sanitizer on my hands. I don't go anywhere near anyone else at the pumps and I don't go into the mini-marts where I stop. I carry any food and water that I may need on the bike. The only thing that I worry about is if I had a mishap. My concerns are my impact on an already overwhelmed hospital system and of course being made ill by being in a place where Covid-19 is. I'm pretty cautious by nature though (I know...the word cautious from a motorcyclist is odd). But I'm not able to get out and walk or do anything else outside, so my RT is my escape pod.

The experience has been unusual. There's traffic, just not as much. But, as you drive by businesses, they're all deserted...no cars and everything is closed. It's like everyday is Sunday during the 1950's. I've passed a lot of LEO's and as usual, wave at them as I go by. One gave me a long look going through Esparto on Hwy 16 today, but he then pulled out and went in the other direction. If I had any inkling that I could be a participant in spreading this virus by riding, I'd put the bike on the Battery Tender and do a deeper dive on Netflix.

#27 ·
If I had any inkling that I could be a participant in spreading this virus by riding, I'd put the bike on the Battery Tender and do a deeper dive on Netflix.
As you mentioned if you have a 'mishap' this is where the problem starts for spreading virus, or picking up virus as the case will likely be. Rare as it is, it can happen, and showing up in the ER as a trauma activation or even a compound fracture from dropping your bike on your lower leg etc is one of those inklings. I've had only one close call in the last 65K miles but again, it happens. I think if you add an 'essential purpose', like picking up groceries then it's arguably justifiable from a legal standpoint. That is pretty much it for me, mostly taking the bike out to keep the battery charged once a month and incorporating an errand during the ride.

Reactions: garr2
#8 ·
This is a very tough time. I wish I knew how long it would last.

Listening to talking doctors on TV it sounds like it will last from a few months to more than a year.

Attachments

#10 ·
My wife and I have been riding. Seems like a pretty safe thing to do. We wear full face helmets and gloves, don't talk to anyone and only stop in empty places. The roads are EMPTY so there is much less traffic to deal with

#11 ·
In the past 10 days of state mandated shelter at home, I've taken one ride (200 mile round trip) to the Sierra foothills to buy a tool advertised on Craigslist. The seller and I kept the proper distance from each other, and I used hand sanitizer after the fuel stop. It was good to get out of the house, but as stated above, you run the risk of becoming an additional load on the medical system.

#13 ·
I'm just north of Seattle. Grocery stores and Costco are open. They are the only places we go and then once a week maybe. We have picked up food to go from some of the local restaurants. I also finally started using my growlers again as the pubs and brewery are filling them. I do get out for a nice 3 mile walk with the dog almost every day. Our end of town is very forested with large 1 and 2 acre lots. This makes social distancing easy and the walks very pleasant.

I changed the oil on 2 bikes; the RT and the C. This required warm up rides and a ride after filling. Other than that, they are parked, I'm waiting on parts for a third project bike and looking forward to that.

The last thing I want to do is have a problem on a ride that puts me in the hospital, taking a bed away from someone that didn't have a choice about taking a risk.

I work for a software developer so shifting over to working from home was quite simple for us.
All in all, we're feeling very lucky and fortunate we are set up so well to deal with this.

I'm planning on a grocery run this morning and then we should be set for the next couple of weeks.

#14 ·
I haven't ridden yet this year, but mostly due to weather. Three days ago, it was 58 degrees Fahrenheit out. On my drive home from (essential) work, there was a group of about 12 sport bikes ripping it up, weaving through traffic. I don't blame them for going out, but it occurred to me that the way they were riding could easily cause them to need ER care. That would stress an already stressed hospital's emergency facilities and put them in an area that would likely cause them possible exposure to COVID-19. Not too smart, any way you look at it. When it warms up, I'll ride, but restrictions will likely be relaxed by then, and I won't do it if first responders and hospitals are swamped.

#15 ·
Probably some others have thought about this too but I'm doing my grocery shopping by motorcycle, at slower times, maintaining a safe distance from all other shoppers and staying in my motorcycle gear with full face coverage helmet and the visor down. I get some looks but why not?

And it makes a great reason to go riding ...

#16 ·
Exactly what I was saying. You are in protective gear and alone on a motorcycle. Safest travel by far compared to a car.

#18 ·
I'm jealous of any of you who even have a choice of a ride or are spending your shelter time in the garage taking care of your bike(s). I live just north of Seattle, WA but winter in Palm Springs, CA. We planned on returning home for a short 14 days in March to attend a couple of plays (one of which we sponsored) but as the early Corona Capital of the western world, everything got cancelled there and we didn't go home, and still don't know when we will. Maybe late April, maybe even late May.

Meanwhile, my bikes are 1,200 miles away in a dark garage and I miss them. Until a significant other showed up in my life a couple of years ago I used to ride them back and forth and enjoy the great rides in the west, like up and down the coast, up and down inland treats, and favorite rides in the Palm Springs area like Mt. Palomar, Idyllwild, Big Bear and Joshua Tree NP to escape the heat. Sigh.

#19 ·
I rode everyday before the Shelter in Place came into play. The rules are clear, social distancing. Exceptions include necessities and health related. Exercise, walking with or without fido and bicycle riding. What is the difference besides speed riding a bicycle or motorcycle. I have been tempted. Tomorrow makes 2 weeks since our SIP. A few days of rain ahead then I might make a break for it.

#22 ·
Here in the UK we are experiencing ‘lockdown’. No gatherings of more than two, once a day outside for health - walking, excercise, running, cycling, etc. As a seventy year old I have self-isolated for four weeks now - we were told to prepare for 12 weeks in the first instance. Norriscyn has a good question which I have struggled with here. It’s cold but beautiful here and, with the roads empty, I’ve been tempted to ride (could I call this cycling?). I could justify this on the basis of shopping locally (well, within a 50 mile radius) occasionally and being able to take a circuitous route of a hundred miles to get there. I know it’s not improving my physical health much but what it would do for my mental health is surely worth the risk - perhaps.

#23 ·
I'm sheltering with my wife in the Poconos in NE Pennsylvania. Nice to be home and not commuting to NYC each day. I've been teleworking on my laptop, but there is plenty of extra time. I've changed the fluids on my LT, will soon order Spiegler steel brake lines, and cleaned up the engines in 3 other vehicles and detailed them as well. Cleaned up by John Deere tractor and sharpened the blades on the cutting deck. Most importantly, have watched many YouTube videos on the LT, especially Kirk Johnson. All this is just over one week. I am in no hurry to return to work, though others may not have this luxury. Oh, also installed LED fogs on my VW Turbo, and Xenons all around on my wife's BMW. This week, I will de-rust my Silver motorcycle lift, and give it a fresh coat of paint. Keep busy everyone, and use this downtime wisely.

#26 ·
I"m at the Southern tip of Texas where our County has 27 cases of COVID-19 with a population of 870,000+. We also have a SIP order, but I have to get out as my wife and her sisters take care of their 95 year old dad (WWII South Pacific Navy Vet) so like it or not, I have exposure to at least six people. Planning on a ride today, it's cool right now, but raining with temp at 68. It's been hot lately, in the 90s, but a cool front pushed through yesterday afternoon and knocked the temps down to 92!

#28 ·
We have a shelter-in-place order through 15 May. Going out for groceries is allowed, so I ride to a grocery store 50-75 miles away and buy some lettuce. Put it away, go out to a different store for a cucumber. etc. As others have noted, I'm not infecting anyone riding ATTGATT, alone, on a deserted back road.

#29 ·
Rode out to Nipton yesterday and had coffee in the parking lot. Lots of bikes from Calif. and NV. You might as well ride. You are covered and wearing winter gear.
It will be in the upper 70's this coming week... I will be out again.

Wash your hands...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.