BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

2018 RT D-ESA not working

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  rangemaster 
#1 ·
So just started the 2020 riding season this past week and noticed the shock preload would not complete the change when I went from SOLO W/BAGS to just SOLO. The dashboard indicator just stayed light grey instead of turning to bright white. In addition, the damping indicator also stays grey and won't change setting. I can get the riding modes to change between RAIN, ROAD and DYNA; but nothing else. The bike only has 4300 miles on her so I guess it's time to see the dealer unless anyone has any tricks they know of.

#4 ·
I first noticed it trying to change the damping to SOFT from NORM while moving. SOFT would show in in light grey, but wouldn't change to solid white. That got me messing with switching between setting both moving and sitting still. I'll try again this morning with the engine running and the bike on the centerstand and see if I can detect any movement when changing preload setting. Based on uncalibrated feet, I believe it's stuck in the 1 helmet setting and won't come out of that setting. I'll let you know.

#11 ·
Quick update. Took the RT to the dealer today and they checked it out. The rear suspension is bricked (there is no bounce or damping in the rear of the bike). So they are going to contact BMW and see about where to go from here. They put in on the computer and there where no code. We could hear some clicking from the ESA as it was trying to adjust the spring, but there was no movement. I have to assume they will replace the entire rear shock, but there is a possibility that it is just a component of the entire ESA system. We'll see what they say. They said they would update me tomorrow or the next day.

Is it safe to assume that the warranty will replace parts with original, new BMW parts? I see quite a few rebuilt shocks on ebay and I don't want one of them put in the bike while they charge BMW full cost for new one and pocket the difference.

#12 ·
You will get all new original parts when the repair is under warranty, as this should be!

#13 ·
Quick update. I dropped the RT at the dealer on 4/7 and after nine days I called to get an update on the status (my third call and 1 visit). After checking the "BMW computer", the service adviser said it was noted that after running several tests, the shock did indeed need to be replaced. I thought this was obvious since day 1 given there was zero spring in the shock. Regardless, BMW authorization hadn't been approved yet so they have yet to order the replacement shock. I asked when this would happen and he replied in the next day or two for sure. Then I asked how long before they would get the part. "If there is one in CA, then we're looking at a week. If it has to come from the east coast, we're looking at 2-3 weeks before they get the part." Service adviser said he would let me know today about shipping details; surprise, he didn't call back. Needless to say this is very frustrating and not what I was expecting from "class leading" warranty service. I will say that on my initial call to the service department he mentioned this is good time to bring it in as they are pretty slow due to the stay home order. I'm trying to be patient and remain optimistic given the current times we're in, but just had to vent a little.

#14 ·
I don't know how well you know your dealer or he knows you. But this is a good example of having some sort of good relationship. BMW parts from New Jersey can be shipped over night if asked.

#15 ·
Agreed - this seems a bit out of whack, as if someone dropped a ball somewhere along the line and the service manager is playing a little CYA. Hopefully you'll get everything worked out and in a satisfactory timeframe! Keep us posted.

#16 ·
That is exactly what I was thinking, Tom.

To the OP - I am NOT a BMW fan, and so don't take this as making excuses for BMW, but there are good dealerships, and bad dealerships, and it seem to me as if you have discovered one of the bad one! The good ones can be really good and take good care of their customers.

#19 ·
Well got my bike back with a new rear shock after 28 days in the shop. Still not happy with the dealer as there were lots of misplaced screws when putting the bodywork plastic back on. Also, there's a small scratch on the the right side engine protector that I'm sure wasn't there when I brought the bike in. I don't think the bike fell over as there isn't a mark on the rear bag protector.

It was great to have the suspension working again and now I fully understand the difference between each of the settings. If you aggressively bounce on the bike with the front brake on, you can feel the the difference between the SOFT, NORM, and HARD settings quite easily.

Unfortunately, after less than 150 miles since the repair, I was taking the bike out for a short ride with the wife and after starting it and attempting to switch from SOLO to 2 UP, the yellow shock warning lit along with the red warning triangle. All the mode indicators went grey and wouldn't turn white. I checked and the rear shock was locked up again. :(((

We took my other bike on the ride and when we got back I decided to investigate the problem with the RT. Low and behold, after starting her up everything was fine and I took her for 25 mile drive with no problems. Intermittent electronic problems are the worst kind and now I'm stuck deciding whether to take her back to the dealer and potentially wait another month for analysis and repair. Or, just continue to ride hoping the ESA with not lock up the rear shock. Honestly, debating whether to trade this 18' model in on 20' 1250. Needless to say, I'd be happy to get rid of the ESA as I just don't trust it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.