• 1 Post By 92merc
  • 2 Post By realshelby
  • 2 Post By Stooie
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Mar 18th, 2020, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

Rider Buffeting - 2018 R1200RT

Good afternoon all,

More of a lurker than a poster. I did a few searches and did not see anything but if you know this topic is out there please direct me to that link.

I purchased a New 2018 R1200RT last May. My previous ride was a Road King Classic that I still have. I love the RT and the wife does too but says that she gets more wind buffeting on it than the RKC.

I am 6'0" 220 and she is 5'2" 120. things are OK at lower speeds 35-40 mph or less but she notices an increase starting at 40-45 depending on the road. Blue Ridge Parkway is less than a 4 lane primary or interstate route. I have varied the stock windscreen height to try and help but it seems to not help.

On the RKC she sits lower and directly behind my noggin. On the RT she sits higher and can see better.

Any ideas on what would help make her ride better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Mar 18th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Re: Rider Buffeting - 2018 R1200RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbauer View Post
On the RKC she sits lower and directly behind my noggin. On the RT she sits higher and can see better.

Any ideas on what would help make her ride better.

No ideas, but in a similar boat. I have a
2014 Street Glide, and a 2013 RT. Wife expressed that even though the suspension is nicer on the BMW, and the exhaust doesnít get hot like the harley, she actually hates the fact that her seated position on the RT is much like a sports bike. She hates it, and prefers the harley every day of the week.

Spoke about this to a bmw tech and he said thatís where harley has bmw beat. Passenger riding whether on the RT or K is not as comfortable as the harley tourers...

2013 BMW R1200RT 90 Years of Motorrad 2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Past Bikes:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
Voyager likes this.
post #3 of 21 Old Mar 18th, 2020, 6:17 pm

Which windshield do you have? When I bought my '18 some of the bikes had a "sport" windshield with a convex top while others had the larger "comfort" windshield which was concave at the top. My bike has the "comfort" screen. I'm 5'6" when I stretch and I sit on the extra low seat. My wife who sits on the regular pillion seat says that she is never bothered by excessive wind or by buffeting. I run my screen well below my eye level.
Digtlartst likes this.

Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...you're right."
Henry Ford

post #4 of 21 Old Mar 18th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Get in contact with Realshelby here on the site and he can get you set up with Werks Quite Ride shield. I bet it will help out with the problems you are having. There a number of post here about the Werks shield.
MBevans likes this.
post #5 of 21 Old Mar 18th, 2020, 10:08 pm

I cannot relate. Neither my wife nor I have any buffeting on the RT. I am 6' 185 lbs and my wife is 5'6". Coming from an FJR where I had lots of buffeting, I feel BMW has mastered this with the shape of the concave dish shape of the top of the windshield along with the adjustable height. For me it creates a nearly silent, movement-free air pocket.

2016 R1200RT
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES (sold)
2008 Yamaha Zuma (wife's ride but I maintain)
post #6 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2020, 5:01 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger man View Post
Get in contact with Realshelby here on the site and he can get you set up with Werks Quite Ride shield. I bet it will help out with the problems you are having. There a number of post here about the Werks shield.
What he said
MBevans likes this.

Much older Jap bikes and HD's
Most recent:
2006 HD Street Glide
2009 HD Street Glide
2006 FJR
2006FJR
2013 KLR650
2015 BMW R1200RT
post #7 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2020, 9:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

Have the stock windshield, 6' 200 lbs. My wife rode last summer for 3,500 miles on our "new" 2018 RT through Quebec and the Maritimes, New England, etc with no complaints.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	156019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1110.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	156021   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	156023  
Hfjeff likes this.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #8 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2020, 10:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger man View Post
+2 Werks Quiet Ride gets thumbs up from my pillion riding SO. She is 5'5", 125 lbs.

What helmet is your wife wearing? Helmet design can also have a significant impact on aerodynamics and could be contributing to your wife's discomfort as pillion.
MBevans likes this.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cowÖwhat a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #9 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2020, 10:51 am

The windshield, and how it is designed, makes a lot of difference for the passenger. On the BMW they sit taller than many other bikes. So while YOU may think your windshield is just fine, they may be getting the same effect you would if you lowered the screen substantially. One of the advantages, on the RT and some others, of the windshields with the slight curve at the top is that they push the bubble of high pressure air up and further back before it comes down to fill the lower pressure area where the riders sit. That makes a HUGE difference for the passenger.

The standard, or basically flat screens can be raised till you look through them to help the passenger. But most don't like to look through a screen.

Helmets DO make a difference. Especially in noise. But when buffeting is the problem, the screen should be doing a better job of not allowing the turbulent air to hit the helmet in the first place.
MBevans and Hfjeff like this.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #10 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2020, 1:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Since I have an RT, a Harley, and a wife I know she prefers the Ultra. She loves to lean back on the tour pack and relax; often falls asleep on long rides!

2017 R1200RT
2008 Harley Davidson 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic
IBA No. 58411
post #11 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Like other have said, have a chat with Realshelby (Terry). His Werks Quiet Ride screen is AMAZING. The stock screen is crap with turbulence in all the wrong places. I am sure you won't be disappointed.
MBevans likes this.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #12 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2020, 1:57 pm

Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA*****************2015 R1200RT
Garage

Even with no passenger and being regular height, I highly recommend the Quiet Werks. The pocket is nice and quiet.

When my wife bought her 2017, she didn't really want a new shield. I bought it anyway. She loves it. She's short enough that she rides with the shield almost all the way down. So we get less wind resistance for better MPG's.

For you being tall and a passenger, I'm thinking the little taller shield might be best.
MBevans likes this.
post #13 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2020, 8:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Finally...I kept seeing this thread title and pretty much ignored it until I kept seeing it stay active and posts kept piling up. Perhaps I would have clicked earlier if the title stated "passenger" buffetting. Anyway, if you folks don't mind a little hillbilly engineer speculation, perhaps it will at least humor and distract during our current "Hunker Down Virus" situation.

In one of my (too many) careers, I sold paint spray booths. Not just for your neighborhood body shop, but all types for industrial manufacturing. By necessity, It taught me a good bit about AIRFLOW. Think of airflow as equal to current. Even a lazy lowland river has current. Buffetting equals turbulence. (white water) So...what we are seeking to do is stabilize the airflow and reduce the turbulence. The solution will not be exactly at the windshield, but the area where the air current meets that tiny wisp of a little lady sitting behind you. (Lucky you)So, it is not just the height of the windshield, but the angle, and you too...your size, and perhaps riding position.

So...your challenge is to find the combination of elements that promotes smooth air current to her space and if turbulence occurs...have it happen behind her. A predictable stream of airflow can be a pleasant experience. Turbulence is unsettling... like being slapped around. Don't merely think about how tall the windscreen is, but pay a lot of attention to the angle and especially...width. I don't have the exact magic answer in my shirt pocket, but hopefully, you will be able to find the combination that extends your airflow past your sweet companion and leave the turbulence to flutter and dissipate in your bike's wake.

Back to spray booths and airflow. I learned that air loves to flow in a straight line. I can give you a great quality of clean filtered air if we can control the entry and exit of the air in a predictable linear flowing manner. But introduce obstacles, twist & turns, and the resulting turbulence/buffeting (little tornados) will pick up trash, & debris that would have otherwise not taken flight.

If you find an acceptable solution, come back and let us know. We can all benefit from such experiences. All the best to you and your mate.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

post #14 of 21 Old Mar 20th, 2020, 9:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer tiger View Post
So...your challenge is to find the combination of elements that promotes smooth air current to her space and if turbulence occurs...have it happen behind her. A predictable stream of airflow can be a pleasant experience. Turbulence is unsettling... like being slapped around. Don't merely think about how tall the windscreen is, but pay a lot of attention to the angle and especially...width. I don't have the exact magic answer in my shirt pocket, but hopefully, you will be able to find the combination that extends your airflow past your sweet companion and leave the turbulence to flutter and dissipate in your bike's wake.
This is why you cannot design a windshield on a computer, cut it out, mold it, and send it out to the market. That is being done in a couple cases, but the results are not what the "name" implies.

There is only ONE way to test how well a windshield works. Put your butt in the seat and ride behind it in ALL conditions. I'll bet you come back and make some changes the first few times you try that!
Nil_Time and Stooie like this.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #15 of 21 Old Mar 20th, 2020, 9:26 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I have looked at other windscreens including the WERKS screens. I realize different bikes present different opportunities. The wife does like the ride but I'm just trying to do what I can to make it so we can do our trips that we have taken on the RKC. I did a few mods on that bike to help as well.

I guess that I need to figure out what height screen to order.

I really appreciate your time in giving me options to consider.

R/
Tim
post #16 of 21 Old Mar 20th, 2020, 11:56 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbauer View Post

I guess that I need to figure out what height screen to order.
Tim:

If you're considering the Werks Quiet Ride, I sincerely suggest that you call Terry, the main man there. Terry, aka RealShelby on this forum, is very pleasant and helpful and knows his product inside out. He will ask you about your height, inseam, what kind of seat you have and what position it's in, etc. and will recommend a size.

I called him last summer and am delighted with the screen (and size) he recommended.

Good luck with your search!
Booger man and alegerlotz like this.

Bob Stewart
Salem, Oregon

2018 R1200RT
post #17 of 21 Old Mar 20th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooie View Post
Tim:

If you're considering the Werks Quiet Ride, I sincerely suggest that you call Terry, the main man there. Terry, aka RealShelby on this forum, is very pleasant and helpful and knows his product inside out. He will ask you about your height, inseam, what kind of seat you have and what position it's in, etc. and will recommend a size.

I called him last summer and am delighted with the screen (and size) he recommended.

Good luck with your search!
What he said. Terry was dead on the shield I should buy. No regrets. The light grey is what I picked. Adds some class to the bike too.
post #18 of 21 Old Mar 31st, 2020, 12:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt.0906 View Post
No ideas, but in a similar boat. I have a
2014 Street Glide, and a 2013 RT. Wife expressed that even though the suspension is nicer on the BMW, and the exhaust doesnít get hot like the harley, she actually hates the fact that her seated position on the RT is much like a sports bike. She hates it, and prefers the harley every day of the week.

Spoke about this to a bmw tech and he said thatís where harley has bmw beat. Passenger riding whether on the RT or K is not as comfortable as the harley tourers...

2013 BMW R1200RT 90 Years of Motorrad 2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Past Bikes:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
Harley and Honda (Wing) and Yamaha (Venture). Unfortunately, they all come with their own set of issues.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #19 of 21 Old Apr 1st, 2020, 10:29 am

BMW designs their windscreens just like they design their seats, Iíll save my derogatory comments here, but suffice to say thereís not a lot of forward thinking spent on these 2 products a fixed to a $23k motorcycle.
My premium 2016 rolled off the showroom floor with a compromised seating and a windshield that only worked for me in one small area without buffeting.
By myself after the 500 mile break in period I took off for a small trip from California up into Washington to the Canadian border, then everywhere in between.
Ok, the stock windshield blocks wind at the expense buffeting from side winds like crazy, that mild and sometimes strong fluttering from the sides of the screen was noticeable, creating noise. Ok during that trip the seat drove me crazy with serious pain, but thatís another matter. I got home and started taking my wife out for a few short (200-300 mile) rides. She did nothing but complain about the buffeting and noise unless the screen was all the way up, I hated this for myself.
Knowing that this OEM screen was honestly unacceptable for 90% of my riding I knew that there had to be a windshield that fitted my needs much better.
Itís true that these are personal commodities that should be updated quickly by the bikes new owners. I bought the standard height (Iím 5í9Ē) WERKS shield, I will say it was a total transformation, period!
There was a review on YouTube from, Chris On The Street where he tested 4 screens for the newer R1200RT-LC his review was excellent, he is much taller than I and his reviews differed from mine, so rider height and if you carry a pillion or not play into which screen you purchase very much.
But bottom line the buffeting that most of us feel comes directly from the OEM screen, and when we stand back and look at the small cost of a device that will improve and quiet the ride (this is a biggie) for both the rider and passenger, help with rain penetrating the riders area why not give it a try?
I will absolutely never ride my RT-LC with the stock shield again, as I hate compromises...

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
post #20 of 21 Old Apr 1st, 2020, 12:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBevans View Post
BMW designs their windscreens just like they design their seats, Iíll save my derogatory comments here, but suffice to say thereís not a lot of forward thinking spent on these 2 products a fixed to a $23k motorcycle.
My premium 2016 rolled off the showroom floor with a compromised seating and a windshield that only worked for me in one small area without buffeting.
By myself after the 500 mile break in period I took off for a small trip from California up into Washington to the Canadian border, then everywhere in between.
Ok, the stock windshield blocks wind at the expense buffeting from side winds like crazy, that mild and sometimes strong fluttering from the sides of the screen was noticeable, creating noise. Ok during that trip the seat drove me crazy with serious pain, but thatís another matter. I got home and started taking my wife out for a few short (200-300 mile) rides. She did nothing but complain about the buffeting and noise unless the screen was all the way up, I hated this for myself.
Knowing that this OEM screen was honestly unacceptable for 90% of my riding I knew that there had to be a windshield that fitted my needs much better.
Itís true that these are personal commodities that should be updated quickly by the bikes new owners. I bought the standard height (Iím 5í9Ē) WERKS shield, I will say it was a total transformation, period!
There was a review on YouTube from, Chris On The Street where he tested 4 screens for the newer R1200RT-LC his review was excellent, he is much taller than I and his reviews differed from mine, so rider height and if you carry a pillion or not play into which screen you purchase very much.
But bottom line the buffeting that most of us feel comes directly from the OEM screen, and when we stand back and look at the small cost of a device that will improve and quiet the ride (this is a biggie) for both the rider and passenger, help with rain penetrating the riders area why not give it a try?
I will absolutely never ride my RT-LC with the stock shield again, as I hate compromises...
You are compromising substantial impact protection using an acrylic shield rather than polycarbonate though. Life is full of compromises.
niel_petersen likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #21 of 21 Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 11:09 pm

Garage

Get the Werks windshield now that you have used the stock for a while. You will appreciate just how quiet and amazing it is. Terry is great to deal with, the fit and finish are perfect, and the price is right. Easy and affordable mod that makes a huge difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in