BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

How to mount the BMW, large, soft tailbag?

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  N00bie RT Gawd 
#1 ·
I have the BMW, large rail bag. It has a pocket on the underside that cups the tail tack, and then, you use straps to secure. But how?

If I attach the forward clip loop straps to the grab handled, they just slides back and it comes off the rack.

There seems to be no good place to attach the rear clips to.

It's a nice bag, but even though it's designed to go on the BMW rack, it really does not fit well, and I can't find a good strategy to secure.

Does anyone else have one of these on an RTW? If so, how are you securing it?

#3 · (Edited)
I see you have a different version of the bag where the seat end straps are on the sideail. I initially tried strapping mine the same way But on mine, they do not hold it tightly. The strap loops would need to be further forward on the grab bars, but they would not stay, because they are too smooth. The tailrack on your bike (older?) Is a bit different than mine as well.

I have been attaching the loop end to the bottom of the rear seat, over the rear "hooks" that hold the rear of the seat in place.

I think what I am going to do is get some 1" webbing, and make my own strap system... A single strap that goes under the rear seat and to both clip sockets on the bag.

I think this thing could have been engineered better, but was made to fit more bikes than just my RT.

#6 · (Edited)
dleasman said:
One problem is that I have 4 of the short straps, but nothing else.
There's the problem. My bag came with three sets of straps; short, medium and long. Is your bag like this one? How long of a strap do you need?
I got mine used, and it only came with short straps.

I had to being back my home economics skills, and make longer ones with some 1" webbing strap that I got at a local hardware store.

I even used a German sewing machine, so the bike and bag do not reject them! 😁

The 2 new 24" straps should so we'll, with clips from 2 of the short straps.

The front strap issue was solved by attaching the straps to the hooks under the rear seat, and are held tightly in place when the seat is installed.

The newly made, rear straps attach to the back rack and are long enough to reach the rear clip sockets.

It's a workable solution, for now.

In case anyone should need replacement buckles for the BMW soft bags, they are YKK brand, model LB25LV, but can be difficult to find.

Attachments

#8 ·
I had that bag on a '13 RT and from what I remember the back straps are the ones that really hold it in place and prevent the bag from sliding out while the front straps were more parallel or vertical with the bag and their main purpose was to secure the bag down. If the rear straps are placed correctly, then you shouldn't experience any sliding.

#9 ·
I made a couple long straps, and attacked those to the back. As you said, they hold it place more than the front, which really just hold it down. I still like the front straps attached to the under side of the seat, so they don't wear on the handles, and they can just stay on when the bag is removed. All in all, it is very secure now.

I really like the bag. That, combined with a UA duffel on the rear seat, the side cases, and then the SW-Motec EVO City on the tank, and I gave no shortage of storage.

#10 ·
Does anyone else have one of these on an RTW? If so, how are you securing it?
You're doing something wrong.

I have both the large and small Sport 3 BMW bags; both mount the same way.

Attach the bad to your rack, with the rack going snugly into that underside pocket.

Use your straps and attach one each to the grab handles. Because the way the large and small bags have their buckles attached, you'll use a different length strap for each.

Buckle the straps to the bag and then mostly tighten. You're then going to wiggle the bag to make sure it's still centered while also continuing to tighten the straps. You will also have to adjust the looped portion of the straps on the handrails until they are both tightened and as far to the rear as possible.

That's it. There is no need to attach the rear straps to the rear buckles. Loop the excess and go riding. I have over 47,000 miles on these bags and I stopped using those rear straps pretty much as soon as I bought them.

Fun fact: You can stack the smaller bag on the larger just fine.

#11 ·
That's it. There is no need to attach the rear straps to the rear buckles. Loop the excess and go riding.
I appreciate your comments. Though I just assume that we do not have the same grab handle and rack design, or we have different versions of the bag.

On my bike and bag, the front straps attached to the handles will merely hold the bag vertically, not not laterally, and the bag just closed backward and the pocket comes off the rack. For me, this was solved by using longer straps on the rear of the bag, attached to the rack. I only had 4 short straps, so I had to make a pair if longer ones. In order to use only the front straps, I would need a way for them to attach to the handles further forward, without sliding back, but the plastic handles are slick, so this does not work. The rear of the handle is under the bag, and not forward of it. Instead, in addition to the rear straps, I have the front straps attached to the hooks under the rear seat, which gives the angle needed. Also, the pocket over the rack is not exactly a tight fit. It is very loose, as the pocket is much wider than the rear of the rack. Perhaps I should post some pictures. I also could not imagine stacking another bag on top of the one I have.

#13 ·
These photos should illustrate the issue.
With the bag on the rack, the bag end of the clip is already touching the grab handled. With the strap attached, it is simply not possible to secure tightly to these handles. There will always be slack, and the bag slides back, ullung the straps even further back on the handle to the point that the rack is no longer inside the cup on the bottom side of the bag.

Once again, my solution was to attach the loops of the straps to the hooks under the rear seat, which is further forward, and provides forward tension on the bag, holding it in place.

If the straps were sewn in higher in the bag, strapping to the handles may have been an option, but this is not the case.

Using the longer straps on the rear, I can secure it even better, strapping to the rack, under the bag.

Overall, the design of the bag could have been better. Yes, the bottom of the bag is designed to fit in the rack, but the strap clips are poorly positioned to secure it properly. I would also like if there were some additional D rings attached, other than the 2 for the shoulder strap, for even more versatility.

I hope this clarifies why I originally posted.

Attachments

#17 ·
...clarified...
OK, I see what you are talking about. When I use my large bag, I use the small-length straps, and yes, even if you tighten them all of the way, it seems like it's not enough, but it is.

As I am looking at where your bag is sitting, I am wondering how well you have the rack inserted into the bag's pocket; from what I can remember, mine seems to have been back slightly more.

But Skibumwi seems to have a good location for his and I hope that works for you as well.

#14 · (Edited)
Ummmm, I just popped the pillion seat off and attached the straps to the frame just behind the cross piece, far enough forward to insure a good "pull". When not in use, I tuck the straps under the pillion. Works like a charm!

Ski

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.