BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Battery Tester Recommendation

4K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  Alfred02 
#1 ·
I did a search first and found lots of threads about batteries, but nothing about equipment to test them.

Rather than replacing my battery every x months/years because the calendar says its time, or worse yet, waiting until it fails, I'd like to get a tester to help determine when it is actually time to change it based on battery condition. This should save money, resources, and create a bit less toxic waste in the world.

I looked on Amazon there are dozens available. Pretty much all give a voltage they support, most include a CCA range, and some give an amp hour range.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a decent load tester they use for their RT's battery?

#2 ·
Pick one of the units that are 100 watt rated on Amazon. About 30 bucks. I also have an electronic unit made by the Optimate people that is over $250 but that is not for the average garage. Your plan is a good one. Many of us keep BMW bikes on trickle chargers when not in use and this masks the quality and capacity of the battery. It always seems good but actually may be low in capacity. Several going dead episodes or old age sulfation will bring a battery to the end. of life. Batteries are the most common item causing electrical problems. Why risk being stuck somewhere. Anything less than 10 volts while trying to start a bike or after a load test not good.

#3 ·
I purchased this one on Amazon, KONNWEI KW600, many similar ones, I decided based on ratings, the ability to upgrade firmware and option to print results:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QYS4KRM..._pATtEbA6QPE48

Other option was the Topdon BT100, Kirk from N. Illinois BMW Club reviewed this one vs Snap-on in a video he posted, both work similar, Topdon costs much less than Snap-on.

At our Auto Shop we used good old VAT-40 machines, big, reliable and old, but we started using these smaller battery testers when they first came out and at that time they were quite expensive, but now you can buy many in the $50-100 range. Small easy and accurate.

#4 ·
BICYCLNUT:

Many thanks for this posting!

I have never considered getting a battery tester because I assumed they were all in the $200+ range. Note: this was an accurate assumption 30 years ago. Lawdy sakes alive how times have changed.

For the choices now available for ~ $50 it looks like I'll be buying one.

Thanks again!

#5 ·
Let us know which one you buy and how it works out for you if you would.

I have always wished for one but spent the money on a Optimate 4 charger and keep the bike on it in the winter months.

TIA

#6 ·
How about this one for $35.00:
Deelife Full Automatic Car Battery Charger 110V~220V To 12V/4A Smart Motorcycle Battery Charger.

Intelligent Charging :
①Intelligent 6-stage charging,desulfation,soft start,bulk,absorption,battery test,floating/trickle.
②Intelligent MCU controller unit, automatically stop output when fully charged.
③Unique winter mode for better charging effect in winter

Repair / Maintenance :
①Remove vulcanization (desulfation), repair slightly damaged battery
②Pulse Maintenance extends battery life.

Smart Detection :
①Automatically determine if the battery is damaged.(after charging for 15 minutes)
②Automatic identification of 6V or 12V battery

• Suit for 6V or 12V Batteries
- AGM, SLA, GEL, WET, VRLA, etc.
- Scooter, ATV, Jet Ski, Snowmobile, Motorcycle, Lawn Mower, Car, SUV, RV, Pickup, Tractor, Boat, etc.

Ten Safety Protections
① Over-Voltage Protection ② Over-Charge Protection ③ Short Circuit Protection ④ Over-Load Protection ⑤ Anti-Reverse Protection ⑥ Over-Current Protection ⑦ Under-Voltage Protection ⑧ Over-Temperature Protection ⑨ Overheating Protection ⑩ Fireproof Technology

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000516610218.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.b59071b3pr9kIG&s=p&algo_pvid=b59ddf60-2ee7-4d40-b7e7-65494fb1a77d&algo_expid=b59ddf60-2ee7-4d40-b7e7-65494fb1a77d-3&btsid=0be3743615823389254498953edf6e&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

#8 ·
If you have a Odyssey battery do not use the repair mode. Every charger I've seen that has a repair mode the voltage is above what odyssey recommends. It will burn up the battery. Odyssey has their own procedure to repair or desulfate the battery. It's spelled out on their website. Works good. I've done it a few times.

#9 ·
Can a battery accurately be tested without putting a heavy load on it? CCA is what turns the starter/motor over and I don't know if any of these smaller testers can check that. I have taken many batteries to Orielly's to get tested on their machine, but not sure if they can do smaller cycle size batteries.

When the bike (or car) starts turning over slow but still starts is when I replace mine, regardless of what the machine says. Of course the starter could be going bad and they can test this as well.

#33 ·
Can a battery accurately be tested without putting a heavy load on it?
No
The ones that measure the internal resistance are just any good if you measured it when the battery was brand new. And even then it's barely and indicator. These testers that show the internal resistance (got one at home and one at work which are collecting dust) will just work if the battery is slowly dying due to age. But the majority of batteries will actually drop a cell from one moment to the next.
I like the new type of GSM's that have a small round window in the top, which show green if the battery is good and clear or red when the battery is either heavily discharged or stuffed.
If it's still red after overnight charging or clear, the battery is history even if it appears to still start okay, as the indication is due to a chemical reaction which is the most accurate next to a heavily load test.

Gelcells do not have them.

#10 ·
The 100 amp hand held units give a fair prediction of condition. They show the voltage drop while a load is on the battery. You can do the same if you have a volt meter and the bike starter functions. You have to be fast though and an analog meter is best. The hand held units generally tell you to hold the test (load on) button for a specific time and you read the voltage directly on the meter face. It takes a good quality electronic meter to determine the CCA capacity of the battery. I have both and have found my load meter does a good job for 35 bucks. Don't fudge and say good enough when you take your reading. If it is close to a poor reading, file that battery.

#11 ·
If you want a actual load tester then this is the type to purchase. Many different manufacturers and prices.
You want a Carbon Pile battery load tester. This one is variable to your specific battery ratings. You look up you battery specifications and dial it in. Then do the test. Other actual cheaper hand helds are preset to one load and it may not give you an accurate battery condition check. One size does not fit all.

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-amp-carbon-pile-load-tester-91129.html

#13 ·
And for like 15 bucks more you can have the same brand in digital. I need to go to Harbor Freight.

#12 ·
If you want a full conditional test of your battery then a carbon pile tester and a capacitance handheld type as mentioned in this post will suffice. Both don't do everything but you will get a basic idea how your battery is fairing along. I like the internal resistance readout. You can get one, both or just replace the battery based on experience. Plenty of technology these days without shotgun troubleshooting.

#16 ·
I'm a new guy to this group. Greetings to all. Relative to this topic, I come from the Marine electrical world. For the forum as whole, I just got back to motorcycles after a 35 year or so absence with a new to me R1200RT.

I own and have used both carbon pile and capacitance battery testers. By a large margin, I prefer the carbon pile. However, most are very simple variable load testers, without much automation. So you must be able to interpret the results. I can do this for deep cycle 12V or 6V batteries, but would be challenged with the tiny motorcycle start batteries.

Maybe someone could post the voltage drop on a newish BMW start battery with a 100A load for 15 seconds? Or pick a better set of parameters. This would be an invaluable frame of reference when testing older batteries.

Further, a real simple test with only a voltmeter would be looking at voltage under cranking. Anything less than say 12V would be a problem for marine starting. But this must be measured at the battery terminals. Ideally for 10-15 seconds.

Depending on how well you take care of the battery, 5-6 years is about the maximum you can probably expect to achieve. If you've allowed the battery to fully discharge, say below 8 volts in storage, it's probably toast. Especially if AGM or SLA. Flooded will take more abuse and bounce back, but unlikely not as good as new.

#17 ·
I'm not looking for a miracle here... just something a bit more informed than "its been 3 years, better replace it". From all of the replies, it looks like these testers will give some indication of the state of the battery, but with no guarantees of what the state of the battery will be tomorrow.

I'll probably go with the Topdon BT100.

#20 · (Edited)
Is this the Fisher-Price version?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EXIEVO6/ref=psdc_15707371_t1_B01DYE581Y

I'm in the 'replace it every 3y' club as they're cheap and 3y, if kept charged by riding enough or trickle charging, the odds of failure are pretty low, though possible I know. I've never come close to letting the battery discharge fully and I probably traded in a battery in good shape, but it's worth it to me. I use the starter frequently when riding because I use the kill switch on long red lights if safe to do so.

Reactions: RJPsRT
#21 ·
Is this the Fisher-Price version?

I use the starter frequently when riding because I use the kill switch on long red lights if safe to do so.
Have you priced out starters or that kill switch? They aren't cheap and neither is the labor to install them. Why are you killing your engine at red lights? Saving pennies on gas to buy those batteries?

#28 ·
What’s the difference between what being discussed here and a voltage reader. I only ask because my BMW RT Gel battery died on me few days ago. I was confused because when I bought the bike (used) dealer said they put new battery in, and here I am almost 2 years and it’s dead, and it’s left on trickle charger. Ordered an odyssey battery along with a voltage reader.

I run HIDs too, don’t know if that attributed to the short life?!

2013 BMW R1200RT 90 Years of Motorrad 2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Past Bikes:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

#29 ·
What’s the difference between what being discussed here and a voltage reader.
A voltage reader is basically useless for what we are trying to establish.
We need to know what CURRENT the bike can deliver when the battery is put under load. So the devices here are trying to ascertain if there is sufficient Cold Cranking Current (CCA).

#30 ·
And, BMW Gel batteries are one of the most complained about for failure rate. I did not know BMW even sold those any longer. Use AGM or in the case of Lt's seems the go to unit is panasonic. To top it off BMW charges the best part of $200 for a battery, that is a big Yikes :surprise:.
I keep my bikes on a smart trickle charger but the down side of that is you do not learn when the battery capacity is starting to go down hill because you always have a topped charge which is not related to capacity.

#31 ·
And, BMW Gel batteries are one of the most complained about for failure rate. I did not know BMW even sold those any longer. Use AGM or in the case of Lt's seems the go to unit is panasonic. To top it off BMW charges the best part of $200 for a battery, that is a big Yikes :surprise:.

I keep my bikes on a smart trickle charger but the down side of that is you do not learn when the battery capacity is starting to go down hill because you always have a topped charge which is not related to capacity.

Maybe when I get the odyssey I’ll check the voltage to make sure it’s fully charged and I won’t leave on trickle charger so much. I used to ride every day, but now ride train so my RT sits for weeks on end. I might ride it to barbershop or something but that’s it for now. Thanks for the info

2013 BMW R1200RT 90 Years of Motorrad 2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Past Bikes:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.