BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Werks Quiet Ride vs Ztechnik VStream

8K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  rtwiz 
#1 ·
Hi gang - I am looking to upgrade my windscreen on my 1250RT as I always need to put it on the highest setting to get no noise but I'd prefer a different solution. Looks like the options are a Werks Quiet Ride or a Ztechnik VStream. Is there a big difference between the two? I am 6 foot tall with a 34" leg length.

Grateful for all advise!

#3 ·
Ztechnic V stream replaced my stock screen two years ago. I use it Spring/early summer and late summer/autumn. It is too efficient at high temperatures keeping a potentially cooling airflow completely off me. Last summer we had 30+ centigrade which made riding with the Ztechnic too uncomfortably hot. So I swap out when necessary with the stock screen. Actually, when using the Ztechnic I have it at the lowest setting most of the time even though it’s not a ‘tall’ version. Purchased it from a guy who had recently purchased new for £250 then had to sell his bike. He showed a picture of his bike with the Ztechnic and I persuaded him to let me have it for £100. He sold the bike with the stock screen for asking price and made an extra £100. Win, win.

#4 ·
Terry (realshelby) is the designer behind the Werks screen and he will be along shortly to give advice on sizing for such a lanky person as yourself.

I for one am a GREAT believer in the Werks screen and really think you will not be dissapointed. The Ztechnik is also good, but man it is an ugly screen!

Let's face it, almost anything has got to be better than that excuse for a screen that BMW fits as an OEM part.

#6 ·
#10 ·
I have used both Ztechnik and Werks shields and both are good products and both have different features that I like.

Werks - One of the features I like about the Werks is that it comes in light gray tint which the Ztechnik does not. I like the way the Works looks on the bike as the shape works well with the lines of the bike. I think you need to be careful regarding size as I went with 24" ... too short ... upgraded to 26" still too short but not sure I want to go 28". I am 6'3" with 34" inseam. Funny my buddy added about 2-3 inches to his height and bought what was suggested and the fit was good. Just keep that in mind if you order. Also, I find the Werks is more susceptible to fine scratches when cleaning. Not a big deal at all but I am over the top anal and the very fine swirl marks do appear. And I use only microfiber clothes and windshield specific cleaning products. But honestly 95% of folks would not even notice it. All in ALL I am OK with the Werks shield and will not look for an alternative. Have had it for a couple of years and no major issues. The air flow is fine other than it is a slight bit too short for my liking.

Ztechnik - Had a Ztechnik on my 2006 RT and was really happy with it. It was on the bike for 6 months when I bought the bike and was going to swap it out for Cee Bailey which was still around at the time. But I give it a shot and kept it and I ended up liking it. Compared to all the shields I have owned over the 20 years I've been on BMW's I found the Ztechnik to be the most durable of any! It never scratched and looked great when I sold the bike in 2016, so after nearly 10 years it still looked and worked great. It was NOT available in light gray tint and the overall shape was not my favorite as it gets wider at the top as you get taller sizes. Not sure what size I had but it worked fine although I really prefer the shape of the Werks as it really looks great on the RT. The Ztechnik does come with a nice (3 year I believe) warranty. Also, if you are at any Rally where Ztechnik is attending they will let you mount one up and try it on a ride.

From my personal experience (and it really is just MY opinion) both are good products and work fine. The Ztechnik will give you more coverage but some (as noted above) may find it too much coverage ... I did not find that. The Werks is well designed and really looks great on the RT. So it really depends on what is important to you. These are probably the only 2 shields I would consider for an RT.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Iscadean
#11 · (Edited)
I second Ed's comments in the preceding post. I had a VStream on my FJR and now have a Quiet Ride on my RT. Both are fine products behind either of which I would be content to ride for the rest of my career.

A couple of additional points:

1. I wouldn't be too concerned about the acrylic vs. polycarbonate. Terry (aka RealShelby on the forum) will point out that his Quiet Ride screens are from a very different and more durable acrylic than what one would buy in a hardware store. Yes, polycarbonate has higher impact resistance, but it's not the night and day titanium vs. bone china degree that would worry me.

2. About noise level. To quote Billy Crystal's line from The Princess Bride, "There's ALL dead and there's MOSTLY dead."

My experience is that the screen will kill ~95% of the noise (mostly dead) with the top of the screen with the level somewhere between my chin and the tip of my nose. That's great; it provides an unobstructed view over the screen and is quiet enough to not require ear plugs. I always wear plugs anyway to cover when I want the screen lower for more air and to try to stave off any additional damage to the existing level caused by old age and 40 years in the helicopter industry.

To get to ~99% attenuation (all dead), I need to raise the screen up high enough that I'm looking through it. Others do this but I don't care for it. Although the spooky silence is kinda fun, there's virtually no cooling flow and it makes me feel like I'm indoors looking out. If you want to have this option, I'd advise not getting a tinted screen.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

#15 ·
“ To get to ~99% attenuation (all dead), I need to raise the screen up high enough that I'm looking through it. Others do this but I don't care for it. All though the spooky silence is kinda fun, there's virtually no cooling flow and it makes me feel like I'm indoors looking out. If you want to have this option, I'd advise not getting a tinted screen.”

Just a minor consideration when comparing the QR and Ztechnic. The easier scratching of acrylic against polycarbonate means that over time the visual quality of the QR will degrade and riding at night can be problematic with light scatter. This was one of the reasons I went with the polycarbonate screen. Also, I too don’t like peering through the screen (it’s the fifth layer of glass/plastic when you include my glasses, the sun visor and the two layers of the System 7 helmet pinlock visor) because of the increased potential optical effects. Hence the lowered Ztechnic screen which still passes air over the helmet. I did a lot of research before committing to a purchase and was put off by the upswept nature and multi-curvature of the QR which I felt conflicted with the design styling of the bike.

Reactions: GSinNC
#16 ·
Just a minor consideration when comparing the QR and Ztechnic. The easier scratching of acrylic against polycarbonate means that over time the visual quality of the QR will degrade and riding at night can be problematic with light scatter. This was one of the reasons I went with the polycarbonate screen. Also, I too don’t like peering through the screen (it’s the fifth layer of glass/plastic when you include my glasses, the sun visor and the two layers of the System 7 helmet pinlock visor) because of the increased potential optical effects.
I will beg to clarify your statement about scratching. All of the BMW windshields that are polycarbonate ( actually made by National Cycle, the makers of the V Stream ) MUST have a coating on them to protect the comparatively soft polycarbonate structure. This coating is harder than acrylic and works very well. Until it gets pitted or something actually scratches it. Then there is simply NO recourse in repair.

High grade acrylic is easily polished. I have used a dry paper towel to clean it just to prove that point. It can be polished back to virtually new appearance and optical quality. So you can polish a QR when needed to keep it in great shape.

I can tell you have not ridden behind a Quiet Ride with your statement about light scatter. I have, and I also have ridden behind a V Stream on the same bike. Pics above this post are my RT. The V Stream must be run much higher (compared to eye level) to get decent aero control. The Quiet Ride runs at a much lower level ( compared to eye level ) and it could be opaque and you could still ride comfortably with it at night or day.

#24 ·
So there you have it ... all the pros and cons of both shields. Honestly both are good products and will do a good job but in the end the decision is really about which style (shape) windshield you prefer and which material and tint you prefer. As I noted earlier I had a Ztechnik for 10 years and the polycarbonate lasted great for 40,000 miles and I have not run a Werks for over 3 years and 24,000 with few complaints.

#25 ·
Went with the 26" Werks QuietRide on my '18 RT and am happy with it. 6'2" with 34" inseam. My needs are on the border of 26" and 28"...there are times when I wish the shield was slightly taller to still the air completely, there are other times when I'm glad to have additional air.

A third option not mentioned, but popular among BMW riders, is the Aeroflow. Pricier, but a quality shield. I've had 3 of their shields over the years and was happy with them. There are instructions on how to determine size, a nice touch.

AeroFlow, Corp.

In the end for my current ride, the Werks was chosen for 2 reasons:
1) Price
2) Developed by RT rider to meet his requirements, produced by ex-CeeBailey (no longer offering MC products) shield maker.

#26 ·
I am in the same boat. Have the 26" Werks and it's a bit short but don't want the added 2" as that seems like a lot of shield. The 26" is OK but to calm the buffeting fully it needs to be raised higher than I prefer. I ride with my full case helmet shield open quite often.

Have heard good things about AeroFlow as well and also good reviews about their customer service. But the price was an issue for me as well.

#27 ·
I purchased an AeroFlow about 4-5 months back and love it. I only have to raise it around 2 inches to get a very quiet ride. This means I can easily see over the top and still eliminate wind noise. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: GSinNC
#30 ·
+1 on Aeroflow Tall... It's quiet at a level about even with your chin but lets enough air around the outside by your arms to keep the rider from getting too hot riding in summer...without being noisy...It's perfect for going anywhere. I had one of CeeBailey's wide-tall shields as a winter shield. It's only great when it's really too cold to be riding!

:)

#28 ·
I recently ordered a 26" Quiet Ride and it arrived on Friday. I installed it and went for a ride on Saturday. I couldn't believe what a difference it made. I only have it raised a couple of inches and it works all the way up to to triple digits.

Sizing stats:

Werks: 26"
Bike: 2016 RT, Sargent Seat in High Position, stock handlebar position (no bar backs)
Me: 71" w/32" inseam

Reactions: realshelby
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.