4Likes
  • 2 Post By prz42
  • 1 Post By prz42
  • 1 Post By prz42

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2020, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Question Gas Cap with Central Locking

I've been having problems with my gas cap opening and locking on my 2017 R1200RT keyless.
My gas filler didn't want to open. It made me a little nervous.
I followed the feature as described below.

[QUOTE=deserttan;1933061]Did you by any chance delay opening it after you shut the bike off?

So I took it to the dealer and the mechanic had the same problem as I was having. Lucky it did the same thing for him as for me.
What we found was he had to bang the filler cap to open the first time and then it opened up every time afterward. What was interesting is he opened and closed with it several times with out having to restart the bike. He then started it and turned it off. He gave me the fob and I took it out of the distance it would see the bike. He then could open the the gas cap. Just another concern that something else was wrong. We then went to all the new bikes with them off and we could open up the gas caps. He thought that maybe it was because the fob was to close to the bike (glove compartment). He then put the fob away from the bike and the gas cap still opened up.

Needless to say they are checking with the factory about the issue. They also ordered a new cap and the electronics.
I asked him about doing a update on the computer? He said they only do updates if BMW instructs them to do it. That way they are responsible for any negative effects.

Sorry this was way too long of a post.
LAF and nhonnguyen61 like this.

2017 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2020, 10:56 pm

Re: Gas Cap with Central Locking

If you hold down the keyless ignition button to lock the bike, this will lock the gas cap at same time hope this help

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 1st, 2020, 11:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhonnguyen61 View Post
If you hold down the keyless ignition button to lock the bike, this will lock the gas cap at same time hope this help

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Also tried that with the mechanic there and that doesn't lock the gas cap.
I will have to see what the BMW rep has to say but fix will happen under warranty.
nhonnguyen61 likes this.

2017 R1200RT

post #4 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 8:20 am

Please keep us updated, appreciate the effort and information so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 4:36 pm

A Torx 25 driver will also open a stuck gas cap.
post #6 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 10:45 pm

Garage

I have had similar problems on my 2016 RT. The problem may actually be mechanical not electronic.

With the gas cap open, look down at the fueling ring. On the forward part of the ring is a tiny piston that is supposed to move fore and aft, locking and unlocking the latch. It can get gummed up. I used a drop of WD40 and a dental tool to free it by moving it back and forth.

It’s very delicate and slamming the cap down with it in the wrong position may have damaged it also. Let me know how it goes. I can send pics tomorrow if you’re having trouble finding it.

Good luck!
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTimberg View Post
I have had similar problems on my 2016 RT. The problem may actually be mechanical not electronic.

With the gas cap open, look down at the fueling ring. On the forward part of the ring is a tiny piston that is supposed to move fore and aft, locking and unlocking the latch. It can get gummed up. I used a drop of WD40 and a dental tool to free it by moving it back and forth.

It’s very delicate and slamming the cap down with it in the wrong position may have damaged it also. Let me know how it goes. I can send pics tomorrow if you’re having trouble finding it.

Good luck!
I think you are right. I did several times slam it down. It would be nice if they told you that in the manual. I will now lift the latch up and close it gentle after they fix it. Thanks for the comment. They are replacing the cap and electronic under warranty.

2017 R1200RT
post #8 of 15 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 11:20 pm

If a BMW design engineer, did not take those circumstances into account during testing, then bad on them ! Oh , maybe they neglected to test their hardware for that possibility ?!!

I was a Systems Engineer on development projects for our company, in support of our gov contracts, back when I had a job. We had very strict requirements to test against during development.

All options were always on the table !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old Feb 5th, 2020, 4:47 pm

I have the same problem. Bmw dealer tried no fix it twice, without success. I carry a T25 for filling her up. New cap ordered and will be fitted at the next service under warranty.

mars red 2018 R1200 RT LC
post #10 of 15 Old Feb 5th, 2020, 7:45 pm

Guess I will make sure I carry a T25 in my bag, just in case !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 15 Old Feb 6th, 2020, 5:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount View Post
Guess I will make sure I carry a T25 in my bag, just in case !
Isn't the bike tool kit (screwdriver handle and bit!) a T25?

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #12 of 15 Old Feb 6th, 2020, 6:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
Isn't the bike tool kit (screwdriver handle and bit!) a T25?

It sure is, located under the seat with a black screwdriver type handle

post #13 of 15 Old Today, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Just had the gas cap warranty work done. All is fine now. We did find out some interesting things from the factory rep. The explanation was that if the key fob is close enough to start the bike the gas cap will unlock. I tried and it takes two gentle pulls to open the gas cap. After the cap is opened it will not lock until the key fob is away from bike for 2 minutes, even if you lock the bike with the key fob. So there is no need to hurry at the gas station to unlock the bike after shut down to open the cap. After you shut the bike down it takes 2 minutes to be able to pull the lever with just one pull. If you shut down the engine and walk away with the key fob the gas cap will not be able to open (no two minute waiting time).
So be gentle with the gas cap on closing the cap. Always pull the ring and push down on the cap. This is were I failed. I just pushed down on the gas cap. Also the gas cap assembly is very expensive and it takes about an hour to complete the installation. The electronics goes back to the mod bus directly, so lot of tupperware to take off.
Hope this helps someone else.
nhonnguyen61 likes this.

2017 R1200RT
post #14 of 15 Old Today, 12:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by prz42 View Post
Just had the gas cap warranty work done. All is fine now. We did find out some interesting things from the factory rep. The explanation was that if the key fob is close enough to start the bike the gas cap will unlock. I tried and it takes two gentle pulls to open the gas cap. After the cap is opened it will not lock until the key fob is away from bike for 2 minutes, even if you lock the bike with the key fob. So there is no need to hurry at the gas station to unlock the bike after shut down to open the cap. After you shut the bike down it takes 2 minutes to be able to pull the lever with just one pull. If you shut down the engine and walk away with the key fob the gas cap will not be able to open (no two minute waiting time).

So be gentle with the gas cap on closing the cap. Always pull the ring and push down on the cap. This is were I failed. I just pushed down on the gas cap. Also the gas cap assembly is very expensive and it takes about an hour to complete the installation. The electronics goes back to the mod bus directly, so lot of tupperware to take off.

Hope this helps someone else.

Are you saying you should lift up on the tab when closing the gas cap. In your post you wrote “always pull the ring and push down on the cap”. ? Ring-tab?

post #15 of 15 Old Today, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Garage

you should lift up on the tab when closing the gas cap. That is correct!!!
Thanks for the clarification.

2017 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in