• 2 Post By Pappy53
  • 1 Post By bandytales
  • 5 Post By RaymondTheFirst
  • 1 Post By realshelby
  • 1 Post By Ponch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old Jan 31st, 2020, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Any risks buying a new bike from remote dealer?

Hi there, first post and hoping i can get some general feedback from those who have also done this.

I am from Alberta, CA. The local dealer has 1 demo 2019RT left that i was interested in. The color was not my 1st choice, it did have more miles then i liked, but i liked it nonetheless.

I then started looking remotely and the city north of me, about a 3hr drive, has several 2019RTs, all new, not demos, for $4500 below what MSRP is, all the color choices i wanted too, and still a better deal by thousands then what the local shop wants for their demo.

It seems obvious what to do...get the bike from other shop...but am i burning bridges? I do have a relationship with the local shop, but it is a lot of money and the right color by going elsewhere. i could get the 2020 from the local shop, but i'd be paying $5000 more then this 2019.

If i bought this bike, can anyone see any issues with this?
thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old Jan 31st, 2020, 7:27 pm

Garage
Re: Any risks buying a new bike from remote dealer?

Raymond:

First of all, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your good taste in choosing to buy such a terrific bike.

1. I wouldn't worry too much about buying the bike you want from the other dealer. Relationships are good things, but business is business. If he's got what you want at a good price, your local guy should understand.

2. One thing that might be worth trying is to see if your local dealer is interested in competing. Tell him what you want and what the other dealer is offering it for. Ask if he is able and willing to get such a bike at a competitive price. This way you've given him the opportunity. If he decides it's not in his best interest then he shouldn't have any hard feelings if you purchase elsewhere.

As an aside, where are you in Alberta? My Dad was born in Edmonton; his sisters were born in Calgary and Red Deer. They spent a good part of their youth in the greater Hemaruka metroplex. By the way, if this comes across as invading your space or privacy I apologize and will not be offended if you tell me to mind my own dang business.

Best of luck on your purchase!
reg26 likes this.

Bob Stewart
Salem, Oregon

2018 R1200RT
post #3 of 47 Old Jan 31st, 2020, 11:24 pm

$4500 is a large amount. Just had buddy go thru the same thing. If the local dealer can’t get closer take your money to the other one. If you would ever have a warranty problem with the bike the local has to take care of it. You may not get a loaner but so what. You can still buy parts and service from the local guy. As Stooie said business is business unless 45 large is chump change to you.

post #4 of 47 Old Jan 31st, 2020, 11:44 pm

Garage

I'm OK with spending more to keep a local guy in business...

...but not four and a half THOUSAND more. Screw that. Give the local guy one final chance to earn your business but if it was me, he'd have to come really close.

I don't know about Canada, but here if it's registered (even to the dealer), the warranty starts counting from the registration date, not the date you take delivery. So, if it's been running for 6 months, that's six months minus accumulated mileage on the factory warranty. So that AND you're paying more AND it's the wrong color? No way. You're right, you already know what the answer is.

Besides, unless you do your own wrenching, the local guy will make money from service. He'd have to be stupid to burn bridges with you, forget about you burning them with him.

Oh, and yeah, welcome aboard. There are a couple of other BMW/RT forums that would welcome you also. They are all great.

'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition
post #5 of 47 Old Feb 1st, 2020, 7:23 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks Stooie, Pappy53 and Booger man....that is all sound advice and i appreciate the candidness.

I'll share more on this story as it progresses...looking for forward to spring!
post #6 of 47 Old Feb 1st, 2020, 7:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondTheFirst View Post
Thanks Stooie, Pappy53 and Booger man....that is all sound advice and i appreciate the candidness.

I'll share more on this story as it progresses...looking for forward to spring!
Aren't we all!
post #7 of 47 Old Feb 1st, 2020, 10:28 am

Here is another angle.

If you want to give your local dealer another chance...ask him if he will ship one the bikes from the other dealer to him for you to purchase at a price fairly close to what is offered on them. There are internal methods for dealers to do this. There are complications, like internal incentives from BMW to dealer that might not allow the same pricing. Plus there is the shipping, which honestly isn't much. You said thousands in savings. But I would also confirm the distant dealer doesn't try to add on excessive fees and other costs.

Otherwise a road trip is in order! You can rent a trailer for a day for under $100........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #8 of 47 Old Feb 1st, 2020, 3:36 pm

As others have already noted I would absolutely talk to your local dealer explain your situation and in a very nice way tell him that you love to buy it from him but he’s got to be able to come closer to the price that’s being offered by the other dealer and I’m sure he’ll understand. And like others have mentioned he may be able to swap bikes with that dealer and get one of the bikes that you prefer. $4000 is a lot of money so I would definitely work hard to get close to that price. But as noted alsoMake 1000% sure that the price he’s quoting you on the phone is not just to get you up there and then you’re stuck paying a higher price.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #9 of 47 Old Feb 1st, 2020, 5:12 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

It is fair to all to shop prices. Your nearest dealer needs to get way close or you should buy from the distant dealer.

That is WAY TOO much money to not buy from the other dealer.

I agree give your dealer a shot at it but if does not get close go ahead and buy your bike. That amount of money will buy you an extended warranty and pay a lot of gas if you ever need warranty work. I dont think a dealer will turn you away it is just can he understand your position and not be pissed at you.

Sorry but saving 4K is more important then having a dealer with hurt feelings.

I do believe it is a law that a dealer has to do warranty and recall work no matter what. But the question becomes does and will the work suffer from an attitude?

Again a LOT of money there so I would not hesitate.

Chances of needing warranty work is low anyway at least has been my experience with all three of my BMW's, 07 LT, 15 RT, and my current 17.5 GS have never needed a warranty repair.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 47 Old Feb 1st, 2020, 6:07 pm

The dealer will always do warranty work and service your bike and the work should always be done well. But where having a good relationship comes in is things like .......

- you need the dealer to go to bat for you with BMW
- you need the dealer to do a "courtesy" fix out of warranty
- you need a service done, tires installed, etc. in short order because you are going on a trip
- there is a warranty issue and you need a loaner bike

These are all just some of the things you get when you have a good relationship with the dealer. But any dealer worth doing business with will do everything within his power to match or get close to the offer.

NOTE: In 2002 when I was buying my first ever new motorcycle a BMW dealer about 100 miles away quoted me a great price and I was ready to go buy it. Then I realized I would be taking the bike to the local dealer for service and warranty work and would feel bad not at least giving him a chance to sell me a bike. When I went there and explained the situation telling him I really wanted to buy locally he did not hesitate in matching the price. I have been a loyal client ever since.

Ed Apelian

post #11 of 47 Old Feb 1st, 2020, 8:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: warranty work. While it would be great if your local dealer would do the work regardless of whether you bought the bike from him, generally speaking, vehicle warranties require you to return to your selling dealer unless you've moved and no longer have access. The selling dealer is required to do the work...another dealer who isn't your selling dealer usually is not (other than the exception above).

Agree with other posters...4 large is a lot of money and certainly worth the hassle if the local dealer won't work with you.

Good luck!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #12 of 47 Old Feb 1st, 2020, 9:33 pm

Garage

Just make sure you're talking "out the door" prices and the bikes are equipped comparably. You don't want to tick off your local dealer and then discover the remote dealer "forgot" to include all the taxes/fees on a bike w/o the same options installed.

Jack Goertz
'12 Triumph Bonneville
'15 BMW R1200RT
post #13 of 47 Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 9:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by powwow View Post
Re: warranty work. While it would be great if your local dealer would do the work regardless of whether you bought the bike from him, generally speaking, vehicle warranties require you to return to your selling dealer unless you've moved and no longer have access. The selling dealer is required to do the work...another dealer who isn't your selling dealer usually is not (other than the exception above).
Not to my knowledge. Some owners manuals advise that, or did at one time. There is no law requiring a dealer to do warranty work either ( but who knows what state or municipality might have one on record ).

Decades ago your hometown dealer would refuse to service a vehicle if bought from a competing dealer. And they were quick to let you know that.

While there is no law forcing dealers to service a non buying customers vehicle there is something more powerful and effective.

Dealer Agreements!

Manufacturers started this to keep their brand competitive. Dealers MUST sign and abide by it. Lots of things in there, but one big item is they are required to do warranty work on any vehicle under that brand umbrella. Consequences of NOT doing that are high. You just don't hear of dealers bucking that anymore.
wetboxerrt likes this.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #14 of 47 Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 10:16 am

I am much less worried about a relationship with the SALES department than the SERVICE department. A friend worked at a car dealer. He said they basically sold new cars just so they could make real money from service and used cars.

Way back when HD was super hot (Stop it haters, they sold a TON of bikes and mine never left me stranded.) it was very difficult to get a dealer to sell you a bike if you didn’t live near their shop. They wanted that service business.

I say all that to say this: You are going above and beyond as a customer to give this dealer another chance at your business. I had a similar situation and I did talk to the sales guy, he said “Go for it. I can’t touch that price.” It later allowed me to say hello to him when I saw him vs. always feeling the need to hide.

Doug L.
2014 R1200RT. 65,000+

Previous...
2000 Harley Davidson Dyna Convertible. 101K miles (Gone)
1982 Honda V45 Magna. 45K miles (Gone)
post #15 of 47 Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 11:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Not to my knowledge. Some owners manuals advise that, or did at one time. There is no law requiring a dealer to do warranty work either ( but who knows what state or municipality might have one on record ).

Decades ago your hometown dealer would refuse to service a vehicle if bought from a competing dealer. And they were quick to let you know that.

While there is no law forcing dealers to service a non buying customers vehicle there is something more powerful and effective.

Dealer Agreements!

Manufacturers started this to keep their brand competitive. Dealers MUST sign and abide by it. Lots of things in there, but one big item is they are required to do warranty work on any vehicle under that brand umbrella. Consequences of NOT doing that are high. You just don't hear of dealers bucking that anymore.
I had a 30 year career in sales and marketing with a major auto manufacturer and after working with dealers throughout the U.S, I've never encountered a state statute that would force a dealer to do warranty work. Our dealer agreement required the selling dealer to do the warranty work unless the customer had moved a considerable (defined as more than 100 miles) distance since the purchase. It typically came up when a customer complained that their local dealer wouldn't do warranty work. When the claim was investigated, it was usually a customer that saved money by going to a competitive dealer and now wanted the local dealer to do the warranty work. While we would counsel with the local dealer (i.e. do the work so you can make them a customer for their next purchase), ultimately, if the dealer refused the work we could not force it as a function of the sales agreement.

2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #16 of 47 Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 12:25 pm

Garage

Quote:
I had a 30 year career in sales and marketing with a major auto manufacturer and after working with dealers throughout the U.S, I've never encountered a state statute that would force a dealer to do warranty work. Our dealer agreement required the selling dealer to do the warranty work unless the customer had moved a considerable (defined as more than 100 miles) distance since the purchase. It typically came up when a customer complained that their local dealer wouldn't do warranty work. When the claim was investigated, it was usually a customer that saved money by going to a competitive dealer and now wanted the local dealer to do the warranty work. While we would counsel with the local dealer (i.e. do the work so you can make them a customer for their next purchase), ultimately, if the dealer refused the work we could not force it as a function of the sales agreement.
Really? Why? Do manufacturers not pay the dealer, ANY dealer, for the work they performed? It's crap like this that must attract all the slim that seem to inhabit vehicle dealer networks.
LAF and PadG like this.

post #17 of 47 Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 5:45 pm

Quote:
Is that stated in the purchasers warranty documentation? I have not read mine recently but would love to know what the end customer language states. That certainly sounds awful!

Ed Apelian

post #18 of 47 Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 7:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy53 View Post
Really? Why? Do manufacturers not pay the dealer, ANY dealer, for the work they performed? It's crap like this that must attract all the slim that seem to inhabit vehicle dealer networks.
The auto business is THE most controlled business by state statutes, which tightly define the relationship between a franchised dealer and the manufacturer (and take legal priority over the sales agreement). Over the decades of the U.S auto business, dealers (primarily the poor performing ones) have successfully lobbied their state legislatures to provide protection from the manufacturer. It can be very frustrating for manufacturers when customers are not treated the way they would prefer, but the state statutes limit just how much can be done.

Ultimately, the customer relationship is with the dealer and not the manufacturer. This gives the dealer a lot of control over the relationship, for better or worse.

2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
post #19 of 47 Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 7:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I haven't looked in a long time, but I believe the warranty fine print states return to your "selling dealer' as opposed to "any dealer".

2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
post #20 of 47 Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 7:51 pm

Garage
Wow. Learn something new every day. Still, to save $4 grand, I'd trailer it up there in the unlikely event it needs the warranty. That much money I could buy the damned trailer and still be ahead.
powwow, LAF and PadG like this.

Last edited by Pappy53; Feb 3rd, 2020 at 10:04 am.
post #21 of 47 Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 8:55 pm

OK found this on line and it seems provide a different perspective, in that the manufacturer calls the shots for warranty work and you can gp to any dealer .... (also reinforces why it is good to have a solid relationship with your local dealer!)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Factory Vehicle Warranties
It is your dealer with whom you interact when your vehicle needs a repair that is covered by any manufacturer’s warranty. Not all automakers handle warranty repairs exactly the same, but generally here is the way things work.

Although it is a complicated process, I will do my best to make it simple.

Let’s call the car manufacturer Acme Automaker just for simplicity sake. Acme Automaker builds a vehicle and sells it to Roadrunner Auto Sales (your dealer). Roadrunner Auto Sales then sells the vehicle to a consumer. At the time of purchase, it is explained what your warranty coverage is for the vehicle you purchased. One of the main things you need to understand is that it is Acme Automaker, the manufacturer of your vehicle, that is responsible for, administers your warranty coverage, and pays for your repairs, not the dealership.

Given that, what is the responsibility of the dealer, Roadrunner Auto Sales? It is simply to make the repairs as prescribed by the manufacturer of the vehicle. This is one of the biggest challenges dealers face today…how do they make you (their customer) happy, while at the same time get the manufacturer (Acme Automaker) to pay the bill? You can see the problem here for the dealers.

So, you have a problem pop up with your car, either major or minor and you return to the service department of a dealership. You just want your car fixed, but the dealer also wants to be reimbursed by the factory for making the repairs, so there are complex procedures that have to be followed with every repair order that is written on your car. If the dealer does not do everything exactly right, it doesn’t get paid for performing the repair.

Most people think it is the dealership that decides what is a covered repair and what is not, but that is not true. It is all laid out by the manufacturer. On the other side of the coin, the manufacturer opens itself up to abuse by some dealers who would cheat the system if not for the rules set forth by the warranty policy manual.

The dealers are always stuck in the middle on warranty repairs, they have to please you so you will come back and continue to do business with them AND they have to satisfy the entity paying the bill, which is the manufacturer that built the car.

Luckily, for most dealership customers, the process of getting your vehicle fixed and all the “behind the scenes” paperwork and computer entries are transparent, but sometimes the dealership has to call the factory for approval before the work can be done, especially with extended warranties. If the factory declines, the customer will generally get mad at the dealership.

It is also noteworthy to mention that the factory pays the dealership very well for work performed, but only once. If you take your car back for the same problem, the dealer generally eats the second and subsequent repair costs. This can be why cars sometimes have to be taken back multiple times for the same repair. If the technician is not very good, or inexperienced, it can be a real issue for the customer.

Since dealers are paid well to perform warranty work, the dealers welcome you with open arms no matter where you bought your vehicle. That is a little different than it was some years ago.

I hope this gives you a little insight into what dealers go through to repair your car under the factory warranty. It is not easy, but the goal is to keep both the consumer and the factory happy.

Ed Apelian

post #22 of 47 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 6:16 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Well I can not find a online declaration of warranty. I can find a warranty statement but is seems all about parts. It states BMWNA has final say on ANY replacement part and any replaced part becomes the property of BMWNA.

I can not find a statement on the 3 year warranty on the bike itself.

Again I do not think a dealer will/can refuse you warranty work. What happens if you are on the road?

At 4K is the true number then just buy it there and take it to your dealer for the 600 and call it a day. He is not going to refuse you service work and once he does it should pave the way for warranty work should you need it.

The dealers want service work so if your money is good for service I am sure he will do warranty work should you need it.

And sales people get butt hurt all the time. Make sure you are talking to the Owner or the head of Service when you explain why you bought the bike elsewhere if you ever have to explain yourself. The owner may take a dim view that his salesman did not close a deal because he was too cheap to match your pricing.

I think you are fine and while we have seen some issues on the 1250 with brakes, and before that the TFT screen updates, I am not seeing a bunch of the same issues that would need warranty work.

I just would not pass a 4k savings up even if I had to ride 100 miles each way to the dealer, oh wait I do have to drive 100 miles to the dealer each way

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #23 of 47 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 8:08 am

Quote:
I don't have quite 30 years, but my experience spans 3 decades!

While signing the Dealer Agreement for a Ford store, which I was going to be part owner of, the wording didn't say " you must service any vehicle under warranty brought to you" in those exact words. Even the 100 mile wording did not have a written penalty following it.

But working for a manufacturer is a LOT different from being a Dealer for that manufacturer, and there you would have learned how it really works.

Buck the warranty system and see what your next months allotment is. Ooops, Mr Dealer, our commodities just ran low for those Lariat pickups you have in the order bank. So, you will only be getting half of your allotment of those...........Or your warranty repair rate gets audited and you are on "Approval Status Only" where you cannot even do common warranty repairs without getting approval for that repair from the manufacturer. You WILL go back to gladly accepting ANY customer....
Booger man likes this.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #24 of 47 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 8:42 am

I just reviewed the Warranty Guide that came with my 2016 RT. Summary is it states in many places the need to work directly with the a BMW dealer for any warranty work and escalate through the dealership management before contacting BMW NA but no where does it mention the need to use the BMW dealer where you bought the bike. Interesting though it does state while they recommend following service recommendations they can not deny a warranty claim because of maintenance work not being done. They do however, state they can deny payment for damage resulting from any non OEM parts used. So once again it certainly pays to have a good relationship with your dealer or ANY BMW dealer.

Oh ... it also talks about the lemon law and states they are governed by the 3 strikes and you are out Lemon law in most states.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1250.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	155693  

Ed Apelian

post #25 of 47 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 9:27 am Thread Starter

Garage

Hi...lots of good discussion here. I think as most have pointed out, for several hundred dollars i would stay local any day. But $4500 is enough to make me walk.

BUT, i did go to the local dealer and as many have suggested they understood where i was coming from. They actually did that head scratch on the their prices and did the correct thing to make me an offer that is very reasonable, and hard to ignore to be honest. I did not know they had one, but they also showed me in the back shop a 2019 719 with the blue planet metallic paint, forged wheels, and the tan seat that they want to get rid of, for a few thousand more then the DEMO.

Now i'm really confused on what to do
post #26 of 47 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 10:02 am

Now it is getting "interesting" and by that I mean difficult.

You have asked honest questions to both dealers and also have seen a lot of chatter about warranties. Saving a couple of thousand (current offers) is still tempting. Several thousand dollars will go a long way toward the inevitable add-ons for any new bike.

Part of the thing, for me, would be the "personality" of the dealerships. I have dealt with big-time, big city shops that are good, efficient and probably a bit impersonal. I have also dealt with shops where the guys know my name and say "Hi Bob" when I come in. Buying from a dealer that far away would likely mean doing the deal and driving away. That may be OK for some, but I sorta like the relationship that is established in a financial deal.

You do not mention your financial thing and that is appropriate... but if $2K is not a deal breaker... I would see if the local dealership has any room to nudge- like throwing in a bit for the accessories or cost of the first oil change... etc. If they say No... then maybe they are not your real buddies any more than the distant dealer.

In the end, it may not be worth it to damage a local friendship...

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #27 of 47 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 10:19 am

Quote:
Hi...lots of good discussion here. I think as most have pointed out, for several hundred dollars i would stay local any day. But $4500 is enough to make me walk.

BUT, i did go to the local dealer and as many have suggested they understood where i was coming from. They actually did that head scratch on the their prices and did the correct thing to make me an offer that is very reasonable, and hard to ignore to be honest. I did not know they had one, but they also showed me in the back shop a 2019 719 with the blue planet metallic paint, forged wheels, and the tan seat that they want to get rid of, for a few thousand more then the DEMO.

Now i'm really confused on what to do
HA! Simple ... go with your gut. If you can afford both then just buy the bike that puts the biggest smile on your face. The one that moves you the most. If that "719" with the added bits of "bling" moves you then go for it. I have said MANY times the "best" deal for someone is not always the cheapest deal. You will live with the bike a number of years and it needs to always make you smile.

Getting back to $$ ... while the dealer may not be able to move on the price he may be willing to toss in the 600 mile service! That is easily a $300 item.

Regardless it sounds like you local dealer is being a stand up guy and he is who you will be getting service from. He will appreciate your buying from him and will probably make up the difference in other ways over time.

Good luck!!

Ed Apelian

post #28 of 47 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 11:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I don't have quite 30 years, but my experience spans 3 decades!

While signing the Dealer Agreement for a Ford store, which I was going to be part owner of, the wording didn't say " you must service any vehicle under warranty brought to you" in those exact words. Even the 100 mile wording did not have a written penalty following it.

But working for a manufacturer is a LOT different from being a Dealer for that manufacturer, and there you would have learned how it really works.

Buck the warranty system and see what your next months allotment is. Ooops, Mr Dealer, our commodities just ran low for those Lariat pickups you have in the order bank. So, you will only be getting half of your allotment of those...........Or your warranty repair rate gets audited and you are on "Approval Status Only" where you cannot even do common warranty repairs without getting approval for that repair from the manufacturer. You WILL go back to gladly accepting ANY customer....
In the old days, you could in fact get away with "altering" a dealer's allocation, since everything was done manually. That all ended about 25 years ago when dealers "earned" allocation based on a formula of inventory age and sales turn. Manually altering a dealer allocation after that would be a sure fire way to find yourself in court trying to answer some very difficult questions. As a Regional Manager (with Ford BTW), it's something I never would have allowed as it would have severely impacted my credibility with the dealers.

Believe me...I know how it really works. I was the signatory on the Sales Agreement for dozens of dealers during my career, many of whom are still very close friends of mine.

2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
post #29 of 47 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 11:41 am

Quote:
In the old days, you could in fact get away with "altering" a dealer's allocation, since everything was done manually. That all ended about 25 years ago when dealers "earned" allocation based on a formula of inventory age and sales turn. Manually altering a dealer allocation after that would be a sure fire way to find yourself in court trying to answer some very difficult questions. As a Regional Manager (with Ford BTW), it's something I never would have allowed as it would have severely impacted my credibility with the dealers.

Believe me...I know how it really works. I was the signatory on the Sales Agreement for dozens of dealers during my career, many of whom are still very close friends of mine.
Off topic, and I have been "out" since 2008. I have done it manually, from picking out the models and colors on a Subaru factory list of available vehicles ( that they would have LOVED for you to take all of...) to the (still ) DOS based Ford internal ordering systems.

But if you think allocation cannot be altered because it is digital, again, you simply have not been on the Dealer side. See how long those orders can sit without being picked up. See how long they sit on commodity hold. Want a few extra of something? Sorry, none available. That is NOT to say I had to deal with that hardly at all. I learned to always buy the reps demos and kiss their ass. But there is a way for the Ford Reps to punish you. Hell, I may have met you! I remember Mark Fields coming by as a rep and look where he got to ( not for very long of course!).

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #30 of 47 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 1:44 pm

Quote:
I had a 30 year career in sales and marketing with a major auto manufacturer and after working with dealers throughout the U.S, I've never encountered a state statute that would force a dealer to do warranty work. Our dealer agreement required the selling dealer to do the warranty work unless the customer had moved a considerable (defined as more than 100 miles) distance since the purchase.................... .
Well THAT is not how it is stated in the warranty documentation for both my 1999 Ford Explorer and my 2015 Chevy Colorado. In both cases it pretty much state they "would like you" to go to the selling dealer but you can go to ANY authorized dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1253 2.jpg
Size:	923.9 KB
ID:	155701   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1251 2.jpg
Size:	847.7 KB
ID:	155703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1252 2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	970.7 KB
ID:	155705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1254 2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	960.5 KB
ID:	155707  
realshelby likes this.

Ed Apelian

post #31 of 47 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 5:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSinNC View Post
Well THAT is not how it is stated in the warranty documentation for both my 1999 Ford Explorer and my 2015 Chevy Colorado. In both cases it pretty much state they "would like you" to go to the selling dealer but you can go to ANY authorized dealer.
True, but the manufacturer could only require the selling dealer to do the work, unless you had moved or were travelling.

Whew...this thread sure got off topic!

2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
post #32 of 47 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 5:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Off topic, and I have been "out" since 2008. I have done it manually, from picking out the models and colors on a Subaru factory list of available vehicles ( that they would have LOVED for you to take all of...) to the (still ) DOS based Ford internal ordering systems.

But if you think allocation cannot be altered because it is digital, again, you simply have not been on the Dealer side. See how long those orders can sit without being picked up. See how long they sit on commodity hold. Want a few extra of something? Sorry, none available. That is NOT to say I had to deal with that hardly at all. I learned to always buy the reps demos and kiss their ass. But there is a way for the Ford Reps to punish you. Hell, I may have met you! I remember Mark Fields coming by as a rep and look where he got to ( not for very long of course!).
There's bad apples in every crate, dealers and factory. I know how allocations/scheduling sometimes looked to dealers...that's usually not how it actually was, but you're welcome to believe that. Ultimately, we all wanted the same thing...roll one over the curb!

Mark Fields worked for me at one time in the past...ha!

2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
post #33 of 47 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 5:44 pm

Quote:
True, but the manufacturer could only require the selling dealer to do the work, unless you had moved or were travelling.

Whew...this thread sure got off topic!
But that is not what is says. Both say I can go to any dealer to have warranty work done. And that is what I have experienced over the years.

Ed Apelian

post #34 of 47 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 6:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSinNC View Post
But that is not what is says. Both say I can go to any dealer to have warranty work done. And that is what I have experienced over the years.
Any dealer can do the work and get paid by Ford...only the selling dealer is required to do the work. Without getting technical, it has to do with the contractual agreement you've established when you purchased the vehicle from the selling dealer.

Honestly, in a 30 year career I encountered maybe a hand full of times where a dealer refused to do warranty work. There were always extenuating circumstances, typically with the customers behavior. Dealers get to the point where a particular customers business is no longer worth the hassle of dealing with them (in some cases, after talking to or meeting the customer, I completely understood the dealer's point). In those cases, it was just easiest to find another dealer to do the work and the problem was resolved to everyone's satisfaction. Ironically, in most of those cases, the customers that were the least profitable for the dealer were also the biggest PITA. Imagine that.

2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
post #35 of 47 Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 8:15 pm

Garage

This is why the Golden Rule is so important. I try (try is the operative word here) to be nice when I'm getting screwed, eh, I mean, helped at an auto dealer.

We had a dealer 300 miles away fix something on our Kia years ago that he had to fight tooth and nail for. He did and Kia paid for it. Why does this matter you say? We bought the car here (in Memphis). All the dealers within 100 miles of where I live are, well, lets just say worse than the stereotype.

This is one of the nicer things about buying my RT here was that I was expecting them to be the same. I actually looked all over, anywhere but here given my auto-buying experiences, but it turned out my local BMW dealer (Performance Plus) was nothing like the auto dealers. Overall a great buying experience. I bought it used, great price right up front, no haggling, lovely experience. That and despite my doing all my service they bailed me out big time last year when I did something stupid. They are the kind of dealer where I don't mind paying a little extra for things just because they've got my back when I need them.

Too bad the local auto dealers are such scoundrels, I might have bought my newest car here...
powwow and LAF like this.

post #36 of 47 Old Feb 4th, 2020, 6:22 am

Well for what it's worth, I bought a Wethead of Ebay Commercials and my BMW was more than happy to do the warranty work. I guess they still get paid for it. They certainly are not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.
LAF likes this.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #37 of 47 Old Feb 4th, 2020, 9:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy53 View Post
This is why the Golden Rule is so important. I try (try is the operative word here) to be nice when I'm getting screwed, eh, I mean, helped at an auto dealer.

We had a dealer 300 miles away fix something on our Kia years ago that he had to fight tooth and nail for. He did and Kia paid for it. Why does this matter you say? We bought the car here (in Memphis). All the dealers within 100 miles of where I live are, well, lets just say worse than the stereotype.

This is one of the nicer things about buying my RT here was that I was expecting them to be the same. I actually looked all over, anywhere but here given my auto-buying experiences, but it turned out my local BMW dealer (Performance Plus) was nothing like the auto dealers. Overall a great buying experience. I bought it used, great price right up front, no haggling, lovely experience. That and despite my doing all my service they bailed me out big time last year when I did something stupid. They are the kind of dealer where I don't mind paying a little extra for things just because they've got my back when I need them.

Too bad the local auto dealers are such scoundrels, I might have bought my newest car here...
I totally agree. My experience is very similar to yours in that the buying experience with my local BMW dealer where I've purchased the only 4 "new" motorcycles I've ever bought were nothing like an auto dealer transaction. In fact 2 of the purchases I asked the owner if I could deal directly with him since I was not at the time familiar with any of the sales team. And just like you noted .... I told them the bike I wanted and they came up with an awesome price with no haggling. I went in with a price in my head that I would like to pay and they pretty much matched it without a word spoken by me. Nothing like what happens at a typical auto dealer.

Ed Apelian

post #38 of 47 Old Feb 6th, 2020, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Hi, just to close out this thread from my perspective for anyone following it.

I ended up going with the remote dealer. Super happy with the decision, i ended up with a 2019 R1250RT in Alpine White with all the bells and whistles, fully loaded...including Nav6. I saved thousands doing this, and more importantly i got exactly what i wanted. It would have been foolish to not go this direction.

Throughout this process i also discovered a local small BMW Motorrad shop, highly reviewed, that i can bring by business to for servicing (not warranty work) should it come to that.

Cheers!
Ray
powwow, hopz, LAF and 2 others like this.
post #39 of 47 Old Feb 6th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Sounds like your happy. Good for you. Don’t look back.
post #40 of 47 Old Feb 6th, 2020, 4:38 pm

Garage

Ray:

Glad you got what you wanted. Congratulations! Thanks for coming back and letting us know how it has turned out.

Your Next Assignment: Go ride the heck out of it and have fun!

Bob Stewart
Salem, Oregon

2018 R1200RT
post #41 of 47 Old Feb 7th, 2020, 7:51 am

If you bought the bike you wanted...that saved money right there. I cannot tell you how many customers I have seen buy the "cheap" version of something only to trade it in 2-3 years because they were NEVER satisfied!

If your local dealer didn't have the bike you wanted, or offered to get it for you, they simply missed a sale due to inventory.

If your local dealer would not match the price, then NONE here should even try to mention being loyal to your local dealer.
LAF likes this.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #42 of 47 Old Feb 7th, 2020, 8:34 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
If you bought the bike you wanted...that saved money right there. I cannot tell you how many customers I have seen buy the "cheap" version of something only to trade it in 2-3 years because they were NEVER satisfied!

If your local dealer didn't have the bike you wanted, or offered to get it for you, they simply missed a sale due to inventory.

If your local dealer would not match the price, then NONE here should even try to mention being loyal to your local dealer.
You nailed it exactly realshelby. I was trying to come to terms with buying a demo, i have nothing against demos necessarily, but my gut/heart was set on Alpine White and NEW which local guys simply did not have...
post #43 of 47 Old Feb 7th, 2020, 8:52 am

Quote:
You nailed it exactly realshelby. I was trying to come to terms with buying a demo, i have nothing against demos necessarily, but my gut/heart was set on Alpine White and NEW which local guys simply did not have...
Like I've said every time a question like this comes up .... the "best" deal is usually not the "cheapest" price. It's feeling good about your purchase. Even color is important for me as I will have to look at that bike for a lot of years. I really like the white too.

Getting the bike that puts the biggest smile on your face.

Hopefully your local dealer will understand and you can build a strong relationship with them which could result in the purchase of your next bike.

Ride safe and enjoy that new RT!

Let the Farkling begin

Ed Apelian

post #44 of 47 Old Feb 11th, 2020, 11:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

Just had a friend buy a GS in Ft Worth, about a 12 hour drive from our home town, due to savings. I try to buy at our local dealer who is only 265 miles from us. He is not part of a big chain of dealers and I like that. As for warranty work our local dealer has never refused to do anything needed on our bikes. After all, it's money for his dealership paid by BMW, right? I agree with the guys that say, 'get what you want and be happy'. Money is important, but my motorcycle is my fringe benefit of life so I don't nickel and dime the process too much, but that's just me. Most my friends are not that way. To each his own...

2017 R1200RT
2008 Harley Davidson 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic
IBA No. 58411
post #45 of 47 Old Feb 11th, 2020, 11:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapz View Post
Just had a friend buy a GS in Ft Worth, about a 12 hour drive from our home town, due to savings. I try to buy at our local dealer who is only 265 miles from us. He is not part of a big chain of dealers and I like that. As for warranty work our local dealer has never refused to do anything needed on our bikes. After all, it's money for his dealership paid by BMW, right? I agree with the guys that say, 'get what you want and be happy'. Money is important, but my motorcycle is my fringe benefit of life so I don't nickel and dime the process too much, but that's just me. Most my friends are not that way. To each his own...
Well said !!

Ed Apelian

post #46 of 47 Old Today, 10:05 pm

Quote:
Re: warranty work. While it would be great if your local dealer would do the work regardless of whether you bought the bike from him, generally speaking, vehicle warranties require you to return to your selling dealer unless you've moved and no longer have access.
Not in this country
GSinNC likes this.

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #47 of 47 Old Today, 10:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz View Post
Now it is getting "interesting" and by that I mean difficult.

You have asked honest questions to both dealers and also have seen a lot of chatter about warranties. Saving a couple of thousand (current offers) is still tempting. Several thousand dollars will go a long way toward the inevitable add-ons for any new bike.

Part of the thing, for me, would be the "personality" of the dealerships. I have dealt with big-time, big city shops that are good, efficient and probably a bit impersonal. I have also dealt with shops where the guys know my name and say "Hi Bob" when I come in. Buying from a dealer that far away would likely mean doing the deal and driving away. That may be OK for some, but I sorta like the relationship that is established in a financial deal.

You do not mention your financial thing and that is appropriate... but if $2K is not a deal breaker... I would see if the local dealership has any room to nudge- like throwing in a bit for the accessories or cost of the first oil change... etc. If they say No... then maybe they are not your real buddies any more than the distant dealer.

In the end, it may not be worth it to damage a local friendship...
$4500 is a lot. I Don't see the value in it.

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in