BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

New Ilium Works Highway Pegs

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  LIRider 
#1 ·
So awhile ago, I emailed the guys at Ilium Works to ask if they could redesign their highly-versatile highway pegs so that they could be mounted in a lower and more natural position. I did so after 50K miles on my '16 RT in about 12 months and having reached the conclusion that, for my 5'-10" frame, the pegs were mounted too high and too far forward to be of much use. Plus, if one also has the MotoArt engine guards mounted, the left peg is nearly impossible to mount on the crash bar.

I was also inspired to ask for the change after a few users bought some rather useful-looking pegs from Amazon and I gave Ilium Works these links.

The reply I got was not positive- they weren't going to do any such thing due to costs.

Today, I received an email from them informing me that they have indeed updated their pegs and have come out with a new system, one that looks like it will help with those of us who aren't going to be participating in any slam-dunk contests soon.

Sadly, as I am going through a divorce and will probably lose the bike, I won't be getting these. Hell, I haven't even gotten around to installing the Cyclops LED lights. I hoping to do both, but...

See less See more
#4 ·
Ron from I.W. contacted me with some info:

If you already have their highly versatile highway pegs, then all you need is the new tube...they will sell them for $40/pair + $10 shipping.

#5 ·
That's great info ... really appreciate you taking the time to update the community on it, especially with the other things you're dealing with right now. I hope things work out well for you.

#6 ·
Hmmm...that just might be the ticket. I had Ilium's pegs on my last RT, but also found them a bit high and forward to really comfortable for me. These may do the trick.

I'm a little nervous about that new bar/extension though - looks like it could easily fold into the jug on a tip over?

#8 ·
OK another update...

This new piece (the tube to which the pegs are attached), must be attached to the upper portion of the crash guards, as in the pictures on the website; they can be attached to lower portion, but then the tube sticks out and things go downhill from there (according to Ron from I.W.).

Sadly, I fear that this new piece will not address the main issue, that the pegs are too high to begin with. I set-up some jackstands to represent where my feet would be with these installed and it was even worse; my knees were much higher than before and it was much more uncomfortable.

Needless to say, these are not the droids we are looking for.

#10 ·
I believe the solution from Wunderlich is good for pegs, but they interfere with the removal of the valve covers and don't have enough clearance for guards...and they ain't cheap.

My knees aren't the greatest so having my legs stretched like that isn't very comfortable and I have to do a lot of twisting and turning to get them up there. Once I do, the pressure I place on them starts to loosen the pegs...not good.

#13 ·
Ron mentioned something about that, but I can't remember what he said; maybe something about the bar sticking out?

I've had two tip overs with my bike, both fully-loaded and once with me on it (don't ask). Only scuffed the right-side mirror cover and slight scuffing on the rear crash bar and the highway peg. Those last two just needed an ultra-light sanding and a bit of spray paint and you wouldn't even know anything happened.

I guess the moral is that some damage is going to occur, but with the bars, you're minimizing the cost of repair and preventing major parts from being destroyed.

#12 ·
I can't really see how highway pegs can be mounted to be comfortable on the wethead RT... both the height and the width of the motor are issues.

It probably looks odd while I'm riding, but if I need a change of foot position, I often will put my feet on the passenger pegs, the change is enough that it provides a little relief. If that doesn't do it, and the road conditions (light traffic and relatively straight) are right, I'll leave my feet on the rider pegs but jump my butt up to the passenger seat (my seat is in the high position, so its no too much farther) for a little bit. Again, this isn't like going to the spa, but the change is position can be enough to help with any discomfort before the next stop.

#14 ·
I also use the rear pegs to change-up my riding position; one of the reasons why I never used that spot to carry a water jug like many others do.

The Wunderlich crash bars are actually designed better in that you can mount a set of highway pegs exactly where they are needed BUT they won't allow any valve covers (from BMW or MachineArt Moto) to be used because there isn't any clearance. And if I remember correctly, they have to be removed when taking the valve covers off. However, I don't know if they are as sturdy as the IW's and they are more expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.