ESA Wet Head Shock Rebuild - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By realshelby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 15th, 2020, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Question ESA Wet Head Shock Rebuild

Has anyone had to rebuild their rear shock on the wet head Dynamic ESA?
I found two companies that will rebuild the shock.
Race Tech
EPM Performance Imports

Does everyone like the feel of the rear shock over bumps?
Also Tractive Plug&Play is an alternative but I don't know if it is any better than Race Tech rebuild?

2017 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 15th, 2020, 8:29 pm

Garage
Given that my bike has ESA, I don't know if I would feel safe replacing the BMW shock with anything else than a BMW part. It's a BMW, not a Suzuki.

I am curious how/why your shock needs a rebuild... What model, how old, how many miles, what kind of riding do you do?
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 15th, 2020, 8:44 pm

Re: ESA Wet Head Shock Rebuild

I suggest giving Ted Porter a call at Beemershop. He can answer any question you may have about suspension.

https://www.beemershop.com/category/...ducts-363.html

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 16th, 2020, 5:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by prz42 View Post

Does everyone like the feel of the rear shock over bumps?
Also Tractive Plug&Play is an alternative but I don't know if it is any better than Race Tech rebuild?
No I don't like the way the Wethead RT handles bumps at all. Every Wethead RT I have ridden is the same. My old Oilhead used to glide over bumps whereas the Wethead RT crashes over them. There MUST be a way to improve the ride quality. As I see it, it would be hard to make it ride much worse. For a touring bike it is pretty poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleasman View Post
Given that my bike has ESA, I don't know if I would feel safe replacing the BMW shock with anything else than a BMW part. It's a BMW, not a Suzuki.
What do you mean by that? Surely you don't think that the Suzuki is in some way inferior?

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #5 of 8 Old Jan 16th, 2020, 7:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleasman View Post

I am curious how/why your shock needs a rebuild... What model, how old, how many miles, what kind of riding do you do?
Yeah, I know what you mean. I had to ride my Suzuki V STrom while waiting on the BMW engineers to fit new shocks to my RT as the ones from the factory failed.
bandytales likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #6 of 8 Old Jan 16th, 2020, 8:00 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
What do you mean by that? Surely you don't think that the Suzuki is in some way inferior?
What I meant was that some bikes are easy to modify, and there is an endless list of aftermarket parts of every kind. A BMW RT is not easily modified or upgraded with 3rd party parts... And it would probably impact the bike's resale in a negative way.

Not criticizing any other brands here... But you do get what you pay for.

If I WAS to criticize, I would focus on a completely different brand that floods the market with black and chrome models for the for the average Joe, who wakes up one morning and decided he wants to get a bike just like his neighbor to learn to ride it, only to sell it less than a year later. But this is an ambiguous statement at best, so no one should be offended.
post #7 of 8 Old Jan 16th, 2020, 11:15 am

Garage

I've read a few posts here and there from people who thought their RT's ESA suspension was worn out and they were looking for a rebuild. In most of those cases, having the dealer (or their own GS 911) rerun the ESA re-calibration sequence helped put their suspension performance back to where it started. If you don't like the RT suspension anyway, then this won't help you, of course.

My bike only has 20K miles on it and the suspension seems fine to me, but next time I have the GS 911 connected to it, I might just do the suspension calibration to see if things at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 R1200RT
2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
1987 K100RS (12/2015 - 12/2016)
1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)
post #8 of 8 Old Jan 16th, 2020, 12:32 pm

I went for quite a while (more than a year) thinking my S bike was pretty stiff in the road selection of suspension. Turns out I was missing the tiny little two helmet icon. But proper calibration and setting choice makes things work reasonably well. Especially on my K13S. I purchased regular shocks, Wilbers, from Ted Porters suspension division run by Jeff. Not happy. Wish I just had my BMW oem shocks rebuilt. It is a touring bike not a track bike.
Here is another local service for ESA. Suspension Services

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in