Extend warranty : yes or no ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 Old Jan 8th, 2020, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation Extend warranty : yes or no ?

Hi folks,

my 2016 RT has just under 39000 kms on it. The factory warranty has just expired and the dealership has agreed to extend my warranty for another 3 years pending a full vehicle inspection.

It will cost me about CAD$2600 for another three years and will cover me until January 2023.

Do you think this is worth the cost ? Any opinions will be appreciated whether they be pro or con ....

PS. I have the Denali CanSmart installed and have never had any issues with the bike.

Thanks for the feedback.
nhonnguyen61 likes this.

Heed rear crash bars
MachineArtMoto X-Head guard
MachineArtMoto fender extender
Aeroflow 29-inch screen
Illium bar risers
Grip buddies
Denali B6 brake light
Denali CANSmart controller
Used oem auxiliary light brackets
LED Rider LX3 2.3 auxiliary lights
DENALI DRL Daytime Running Lights - Amber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old Jan 8th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Re: Extend warranty : yes or no ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzIRT View Post
Hi folks,

my 2016 RT has just under 39000 kms on it. The factory warranty has just expired and the dealership has agreed to extend my warranty for another 3 years pending a full vehicle inspection.

It will cost me about CAD$2600 for another three years and will cover me until January 2023.

Do you think this is worth the cost ? Any opinions will be appreciated whether they be pro or con ....

PS. I have the Denali CanSmart installed and have never had any issues with the bike.

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 72 Old Jan 8th, 2020, 5:46 pm

Read it first, does it cover electronics, what are the exclusions, etc.. Seems a little expensive. The RT's of your era have difficult to service alternators. Water pumps that can be trouble. But as you say your bike has been well so far. There is generally a 100% profit margin for the deal on these. Do you intend to keep the bike. Is the warranty transferable with it?

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 72 Old Jan 8th, 2020, 6:18 pm

$800+ a year for 3 years seems high to me.
Patric likes this.
post #5 of 72 Old Jan 8th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger man View Post
$800+ a year for 3 years seems high to me.
$665/year US dollars

You should do it only if you plan on putting on lots of miles AND you can't afford to pay for repairs if you're not insured. It's a bet that is stacked against you as you know so it really comes down to considering those things mainly. No one here will be able to tell you if will win or lose the bet, but as I say the odds are stacked against you. Worth considering also is the total cost of operation. I've done this calculation and it comes it at around $0.48/mile CDN dollars. So, if you bought your '16 new, and put 39,000km on it, your total outlay comes out at $11,573 CDN and those are dollars you won't recover if you sell now. If you buy the 3y extension for $2600 CDN, you won't start to come out ahead until you've used up $2,600 worth of repairs. So now the question is, what are the odds you'll need to spend $2,600 in repairs over the next say 39,000 more kilometers? I'd say, odds are you won't. You could, but I think odds are you won't. And there are so many other ways to have your bike cost you--a tip over, a dinged fairing panel, a rock strike to your headlight or radiator and none of these will be covered by an extended warranty. Food for thought

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold

Last edited by NoelCP; Jan 8th, 2020 at 7:42 pm.
post #6 of 72 Old Jan 8th, 2020, 10:13 pm

Yes ... go for it!

It is probably higher than had you bought it when the bike was new but still worth it.

Mine was less than half that for an additional 5 years added to the 3 year BMW warranty. But I did it at the time of purchase.

But do not rule out your ability to negotiate the cost as it is really at the dealer's discretion what they charge.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #7 of 72 Old Jan 8th, 2020, 10:22 pm

Take the $2600 and put it in the bank.
post #8 of 72 Old Jan 8th, 2020, 11:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSinNC View Post
Yes ... go for it!
LOL

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #9 of 72 Old Jan 9th, 2020, 5:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
Take the $2600 and put it in the bank.
This is very good advice.
You can repair a lot of bike for that much.
RidgeRunner, CWRoady and joekahng like this.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #10 of 72 Old Jan 9th, 2020, 8:00 am

I was in a business where we sold "extended warranties" ( actually service agreements ) for cars and trucks. I knew the costs and the retail prices. Dealers sometimes make more on the sale of extended warranties than on the vehicle sale....

The ONLY time I ever recommend an extended warranty is if the buyer is without disposable income. Or if they don't have some money in the bank. If you don't have plenty left over each month to pay out of pocket, an extended warranty might be worth the cost if bought at a decent price. To keep you from missing payments on a car you cannot drive due to a failure.

Yes, there will be those that make out like a bandit when an extended warranty pays for a new engine or the &*^% alternator on a Wethead. You will hear those stories.

But the facts will tell you to never buy an extended warranty. If the item is know to be that unreliable, should you buy it at all?

Put the money in the bank that you would have spent on extended warranties over the years on bikes, cars, and trucks. You will be so far ahead of those that bought warranties! Even if you have to pay out of pocket for an expensive repair. Warranty companies don't do this out of compassion, they make good money doing this.

Just like deductibles on insurance. When I finance a vehicle and get insurance I always get the highest deductible they will allow. Usually $1000, some are more. The money I have saved over decades of doing this means I basically have a zero deductible insurance plan and lots of money saved beyond that.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #11 of 72 Old Jan 9th, 2020, 10:08 am

I would note that I have never ever bought an extended warranty /service contract on a new car. They are CRAZY expensive and IMHO not worth it. When I bought my new truck in 2015 the extended warranty was something like $3200 and get this was not transferable.

That being said every extended warranty I have had on my BMW (and they all have had them) have been at a cost of a couple hundred dollars a year and one of the benefits that folks might forget is that having an extended warranty makes a bike a bit easier to sell. Last year when I was selling my 2012 GSA having over a year remaining on the warranty was what made MY bike more attractive to the buyer.

Ed Apelian

post #12 of 72 Old Jan 9th, 2020, 10:08 am

Seems a bit expensive, I was quoted 1625 CDN /4 yrs, 1915 /5yrs and 2310 /6yrs. This is plus tax of course. I need to make a decision by April when my 3 year factory warranty expires. I am heavily leaning towards rolling the dice and not getting the coverage.
post #13 of 72 Old Jan 9th, 2020, 10:24 am

I suppose we all need to ask the question:
How many years have I been riding. If I haven't taken out extended warranty in all that time, How much have I saved (OR LOST sue to a breakdown). I think the VAST majority of us are way up in savings. So based on the fact that I have not splashed out that money 'just in case', I can actually afford not to get the warranty. Thankfully, so far, the Wethead appears to be one of the most reliable machines BMW motorcycles has produced in many a year!

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #14 of 72 Old Jan 9th, 2020, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
Thankfully, so far, the Wethead appears to be one of the most reliable machines BMW motorcycles has produced in many a year!
I don't want to jinx myself but yes amazingly reliable so far at 42K miles. The only thing that is now trying to go out is essentially a consumable, the TPM battery on the rear, but that is expected with this mileage and years of operation, now almost at 4y. I keep expecting SOMETHING to break down but alas so far nada! Clearly bum cams can become an issue but so far so good. In fact bum cams are about the only more common issue I've heard about so far. Hopefully BMW will replace them post warranty as they have on some apparently.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #15 of 72 Old Jan 9th, 2020, 10:41 am

Yep ... it's just like insurance and what you are comfortable with. There really is no right or wrong answer here. You just factor in the pros and cons and then do what feels right to you. For me I have always had one on my BMW's and used them twice over the years. Did I spend more than I got back .. .probably. BUT the thing you can't put a price on is the warranty helping you sell a bike. I know that is NOT why you buy one but it really is a benefit. Or ... many of them give you a prorated refund is you sell the bike before they expire. I get 8 years of coverage and usually sell a bike about every 7-10 years. On at least 2 or 3 occasions I know the remaining time on the warrant has sold my bike for me.

Ed Apelian

post #16 of 72 Old Jan 9th, 2020, 11:15 am

Quote:
There really is no right or wrong answer here.
Sure there is: statistically, most everyone loses the bet. This of course is the only way they stay in business, the warranty companies. If you need to take a gamble on it because you can't afford the possibility of eventual repairs EXCEEDING the amounts you've paid for warranties for all of those BMWs you've owned then that is the rationale for going there and is completely understandable. I have the funds to fix any bizarre breakdown that can happen so will pass on this bet. What's the grand total now for all warranties purchased, versus total covered repairs, all two of them? Obviously Ed you appreciate the concept enough to do it regardless of the odds of coming out ahead or justifications having to do with resale.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #17 of 72 Old Jan 9th, 2020, 2:13 pm

I paid $900 for my 2yr extended factory warranty when I bought my 2017 RT. It was still under the original warranty till the 7th of this month. Given BMW stuff is so damn expensive I figured it was $900 well spent. :-\
post #18 of 72 Old Jan 9th, 2020, 5:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
Sure there is: statistically, most everyone loses the bet. This of course is the only way they stay in business, the warranty companies. If you need to take a gamble on it because you can't afford the possibility of eventual repairs EXCEEDING the amounts you've paid for warranties for all of those BMWs you've owned then that is the rationale for going there and is completely understandable. I have the funds to fix any bizarre breakdown that can happen so will pass on this bet. What's the grand total now for all warranties purchased, versus total covered repairs, all two of them? Obviously Ed you appreciate the concept enough to do it regardless of the odds of coming out ahead or justifications having to do with resale.
The only right answer is what you are comfortable with. I have been trying to explain this to folks every time this is asked. For me the cost is literally pennies a day so I will take that bet. I certainly have enough fund to self insure but heck I don't do that with my house, car or healthcare. They are all insurance bets and the insurance companies are in the business of making money. If the cost was exceptional I would pass and just worry about the repair when they occur.

This is much like when someone asks "which bike should I buy" ... buy what you like and what puts a smile on your face. That in many cases may not be the cheapest bike but it is the one that you like. No right or wrong answer.

That is why Baskin Robbins has 32 flavors
PatM55 likes this.

Ed Apelian

post #19 of 72 Old Jan 9th, 2020, 7:14 pm

I've never ever bought an extended warranty for anything and I never will especially on a motorcycle. If i thought I needed an extended warranty to sleep nights if I owned a BMW I absolutely would part company with said BMW as fast as I could. I own a '93 R1100RSL which most likely will be my last BMW and I seldom ride it. Only has 11K miles and all put on by me and never in its life has it ever been in a shop as I do all my own work on my bikes. If I wanted a newer BMW like say....an R1200RT, I would by used but never new. That is not to say I want a new BMW because I certainly don't. For example: Alternators running in motor oil at high temps are nothing new and are generally not problems but apparently not so with BMW and cost to repair an alternator problem in one of these bikes just goes beyond ridiculous. Same is true for camshafts and integrated transmissions.

When I started buying and riding BMWs back in '77 they were advertised as "Simple By Choice" but not anymore. New BMWs are loaded with whistles and bells mostly of the gadget variety, imo. I owned a new (last new beemer) '04 R1150RT with the infamous whizzy linked ABS brake system with that ridiculous and very expensive to repair ABS modulator should problems occur which they often did. Fortunately, one could remove the over priced modulator and easily and cost effectively end up with non ABS unlinked brakes which is what I did. The thing is I still payed the bucks at time of purchase for this ABS system and ended up with just standard brakes.

Long and short is forget new and any need for an extended warranty. Just save yourself the aggravation and the depreciation and buy a used BMW if you absolutely feel you must own one of these bikes.
post #20 of 72 Old Jan 9th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzIRT View Post
Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback.
Offer them half that amount. It is marked-up at least 2.5 times if not more. Total profit as someone else is paying the bill if you ever need to use it.
post #21 of 72 Old Jan 9th, 2020, 7:49 pm

Quote:
That is why Baskin Robbins has 32 flavors
31 flavors Ed

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #22 of 72 Old Jan 9th, 2020, 11:15 pm

Quote:
31 flavors Ed
Ahhh ... but you forgot the "flavor of the month ;-)
realshelby likes this.

Ed Apelian

post #23 of 72 Old Jan 10th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
When I started buying and riding BMWs back in '77 they were advertised as "Simple By Choice" but not anymore.
Not to be too nit-picky, but just to give credit where credit is due. According to the Airhead Beemer Club which was founded in 1991, our slogan of "Simple by choice" was created for the club by Ron Jensen, so probably not used in a 1977 advertising campaign.

That said, I love my '73 R75/5 and it is my daily rider ... but for touring, I choose my 2015 wethead and have had zero issues with it for the close to 50,000 miles currently on the odo. I also do my own work and am not a supporter of extended warranties unless you can negotiate it in for free when you purchase the bike (like my buddy did.)

Chris

President SCBMWRC

MOA / Airhead Beemer Club
2015 BMW R1200RT / 1973 BMW R75/5 / 1955 BMW R50
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

Last edited by CWRoady; Jan 10th, 2020 at 1:23 pm.
post #24 of 72 Old Jan 10th, 2020, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Ahhh ... but you forgot the "flavor of the month ;-)
The last time I went to BR it was down to about 18 flavors

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #25 of 72 Old Jan 10th, 2020, 9:39 pm

Garage

Today my gas filler didn't want to open. It is keyless 2017 R1200RT. It made me a little nervous. Anyone else had this issue?

2017 R1200RT
post #26 of 72 Old Jan 11th, 2020, 5:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by prz42 View Post
Today my gas filler didn't want to open. It is keyless 2017 R1200RT. It made me a little nervous. Anyone else had this issue?

Did you by any chance delay opening it after you shut the bike off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #27 of 72 Old Jan 12th, 2020, 2:52 am

Garage

Just the normal waiting period. Pull up to gas station. Turn power off. Pull handle of gas cap. Nothing happened. Pushed startup button, wait for warning lights to go off. Turn power off. Pull handle of gas cap. Nothing happened. On fourth try it finally opened. A very uneasy feeling.

2017 R1200RT
post #28 of 72 Old Jan 12th, 2020, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by prz42 View Post
Just the normal waiting period. Pull up to gas station. Turn power off. Pull handle of gas cap. Nothing happened. Pushed startup button, wait for warning lights to go off. Turn power off. Pull handle of gas cap. Nothing happened. On fourth try it finally opened. A very uneasy feeling.
My buddy had that happen on his '16 GSA and yes VERY uneasy especially when you are 100's of miles from home or a dealer. Another reason why I wish my '18 GS did not have the keyless ride. Fortunately my '16 RT has every option EXCEPT central locking and keyless ride.

Ed Apelian

post #29 of 72 Old Jan 12th, 2020, 10:43 am

Too bad the extended warranties aren't offered by BMW instead of by 3rd parties.

JamesW
post #30 of 72 Old Jan 12th, 2020, 6:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis75 View Post
Seems a bit expensive, I was quoted 1625 CDN /4 yrs, 1915 /5yrs and 2310 /6yrs. This is plus tax of course. I need to make a decision by April when my 3 year factory warranty expires. I am heavily leaning towards rolling the dice and not getting the coverage.
Yes, that is the same as my deal. They are just being creative in presenting it...My bike is now 37 months old.

Heed rear crash bars
MachineArtMoto X-Head guard
MachineArtMoto fender extender
Aeroflow 29-inch screen
Illium bar risers
Grip buddies
Denali B6 brake light
Denali CANSmart controller
Used oem auxiliary light brackets
LED Rider LX3 2.3 auxiliary lights
DENALI DRL Daytime Running Lights - Amber
post #31 of 72 Old Jan 14th, 2020, 1:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Let's take the following scenario: you paid the CAD $2,600. Next month you have a low speed fall that bends the frame. your bike is totaled.
What happen to your extended plan? Very likely NOT transferable to your replacement bike...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #32 of 72 Old Jan 14th, 2020, 2:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
Let's take the following scenario: you paid the CAD $2,600. Next month you have a low speed fall that bends the frame. your bike is totaled.
What happen to your extended plan? Very likely NOT transferable to your replacement bike...
Most will give you a prorated refund. BUT .... THAT is the risk you face with a lot of insurance products. It is what it is !!

Ed Apelian

post #33 of 72 Old Jan 17th, 2020, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Too bad the extended warranties aren't offered by BMW instead of by 3rd parties.
It would cost a fortune. The 3rd parties are the same ones providing to autos as well. They sell a ton and only have to pay out a small percentage. The "forever warranty" is the new thing now on harleys but you see the exact same forever warranty logo on car ads. If those companies weren't making a shatload of money they wouldn't be in the business. The dealer probably negotiates the cost of it way down to put it on every bike/car. It's a huge selling perk to a customer so they sell more bikes. I would bet it only costs the dealer $250 tops since they buy so many. Every 10K forever makes only costs them say $500. If every bike had issues they wouldn't even exist.
siclmn likes this.
post #34 of 72 Old Jan 17th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Most will give you a prorated refund.
And some will even give you free coupons to Baskin Robbins

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #35 of 72 Old Jan 17th, 2020, 6:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTOUR View Post
It would cost a fortune. The 3rd parties are the same ones providing to autos as well. They sell a ton and only have to pay out a small percentage. The "forever warranty" is the new thing now on harleys but you see the exact same forever warranty logo on car ads. If those companies weren't making a shatload of money they wouldn't be in the business. The dealer probably negotiates the cost of it way down to put it on every bike/car. It's a huge selling perk to a customer so they sell more bikes. I would bet it only costs the dealer $250 tops since they buy so many. Every 10K forever makes only costs them say $500. If every bike had issues they wouldn't even exist.
Somebody should explain this to Yamaha because they're missing out on the big bucks. They offer extended warranties for the FJR no third parties and not expensive usually less than 500 bucks. Think I'll keep the FeeJeR. Not looking forward to the valve check at 26K miles but at least I don't need special tools.
LAF likes this.

JamesW
post #36 of 72 Old Jan 17th, 2020, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Somebody should explain this to Yamaha because they're missing out on the big bucks. They offer extended warranties for the FJR no third parties and not expensive usually less than 500 bucks. Think I'll keep the FeeJeR. Not looking forward to the valve check at 26K miles but at least I don't need special tools.
Part of that calculation has to include the fact the FJR gets only a 1y warranty when new, whereas BMW includes 3y for new purchases, at least for my '16RT. I think you have to do the first valve at 26K but after that, depending on how they are at 26K, you very likely could push it out a ways. Read this thread on the topic: https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-f...djustment.html

Every 30K miles sounds more that adequate for that machine which runs like a 1300cc sewing machine

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #37 of 72 Old Jan 18th, 2020, 12:37 am

Quote:

Part of that calculation has to include the fact the FJR gets only a 1y warranty when new, whereas BMW includes 3y for new purchases, at least for my '16RT. I think you have to do the first valve at 26K but after that, depending on how they are at 26K, you very likely could push it out a ways. Read this thread on the topic: https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-f...djustment.html

Every 30K miles sounds more that adequate for that machine which runs like a 1300cc sewing machine
That's true one year versus three huge difference. I think more times than not no adjustment is required at 26K miles.

The FJR is my first non BMW flat twin machine in at least 40 years. Took some getting used to and you're also right about the sewing machine effect.

Since 2004 I always buy used from the original owner with very low miles that have been well cared for and virtually like new. Lack of a warranty just doesn't concern me at all or even enters my mind. There is a like new with less than 3K miles R1100RT original owner on the MOA flea market that interests me at present. It's a bit high priced but really by only one or two thou which in the end is peanuts and it does have recent dealer service and new tires. We shall see. Fly in the ointment is the wee woman that keeps reminding me that at my age I don't need more motorcycles and that one would have to go. Well, we can't have that.

JamesW
post #38 of 72 Old Jan 18th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Quote:

"Warranty Forever"......better look close at the fine print. Usually those are at best a drivetrain warranty on the cars, at worst simply an engine warranty. Just like everything else, you must follow manufacturers maintenance intervals and have proof of that. I cannot say there are not some that don't go further and cover stuff like A/C parts. But few are going to be very comprehensive.

Don't know what the Harley one covers, have not seen that one yet.

If you saw the actual cost of a drivetrain warranty on a typical car, you would see they are pretty darn cheap anyway. Telling customers they have warranty forever sounds awesome! But what happens when they come in at 120,000 miles and the power steering is out? And not covered? I worked too hard to get good customers to piss them off like that!

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #39 of 72 Old Jan 18th, 2020, 1:14 pm

Years ago, and I mean years ago, I purchased Pinnacle insurance through my BMW dealer when I purchased my new 2000 LT:

https://pppcoverage.com/

I can say that on my way back from CCR (2004?) at Breckenridge, my final drive went out in Hayes(?) Kansas. Pinnacle paid for a 200 mile tow charge back to Denver BMW (maybe I submitted the towing to my insurance company), a new final drive, and rear brake pads. I think that is the only thing I had to use them for, but it paid off!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #40 of 72 Old Jan 18th, 2020, 1:53 pm

It begs a question: how much more would you pay for a full (same as 3y oem), transferable 5y warranty? 6y? 8y? It would be interesting to see how this affected purchasing behavior. If the up charge was reasonable which in this instance should mean only this: BMW's calculation is based only on: break even costs to the mother company AND the service shop performing the qualifying warranty repairs, then it could be hugely valuable. Both BMW-Motorrad and local dealerships would benefit greatly from confidence from would-be buyers--no more concerns over final drives, bum cams, etc etc etc. If 3y is standard I would love to see what each add'l year of coverage should cost if based on the above calculation. BMW may already have considered this because certainly having *only* 3y of initial coverage is certainly enough to stand out in the field, but as well starts positively influencing purchasing behavior for buyers who don't like not having full warranty coverage and so end up buying every 2-3y. In any case I would love to see the option--I think I would easily cough up $300-$400 per year over 3y. This may be quite reasonable given the fact after market extended warranties entail lots of markup for sellers and carrier profit margins. Even so they would need to also define by adding a mileage limit as well else the real diehard iron buttsters could end up costing them. Also, it pricing should be tied to actuarial data so ultimately the price per year should go up over time to offset inflation and the fact that generally more stuff fails the more time/miles on the road.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold

Last edited by NoelCP; Jan 18th, 2020 at 9:07 pm.
post #41 of 72 Old Jan 18th, 2020, 2:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
"Warranty Forever"......better look close at the fine print. Usually those are at best a drivetrain warranty on the cars, at worst simply an engine warranty. Just like everything else, you must follow manufacturers maintenance intervals and have proof of that. I cannot say there are not some that don't go further and cover stuff like A/C parts. But few are going to be very comprehensive.

If you saw the actual cost of a drivetrain warranty on a typical car, you would see they are pretty darn cheap anyway. Telling customers they have warranty forever sounds awesome! But what happens when they come in at 120,000 miles and the power steering is out? And not covered? I worked too hard to get good customers to piss them off like that!
Pretty sure drivetrain is what it is on the harley. Just saying it is dirt cheap for a dealer to make a customer think they are really getting something great. You are correct that they probably have to hit the maintenance intervals with the dealer or no go down the road. That's why it's such a great business for the company selling them. 20 ways to get out of any problems they promised to pay for.
post #42 of 72 Old Jan 19th, 2020, 12:22 am

Quote:
Quote:

Pretty sure drivetrain is what it is on the harley. Just saying it is dirt cheap for a dealer to make a customer think they are really getting something great. You are correct that they probably have to hit the maintenance intervals with the dealer or no go down the road. That's why it's such a great business for the company selling them. 20 ways to get out of any problems they promised to pay for.
My fully transferable 5 year addition to my 3 yr OEM warranty cost me about $.54 a day during the 5 year extension or about $.025 cents a mile based on riding 8000 miles a year which I probably exceed reducing the per mile cost even further. So for me 2 1/2 cents per mile is worth it.

Ed Apelian

post #43 of 72 Old Jan 19th, 2020, 9:07 am

Just be aware that "extended warranties" do NOT cover everything the BMW or other manufacturers new bike warranty covers. Even the best ones.

Read the fine print.

Costs? For instance, Michelin Road 5's would only cost me about 2 cents per mile more than what I run. But I still won't buy them. Resale of the bike? Sure that is a plus if everything else is equal. Price your bike $800 cheaper and see which ones sells first out of a group of 10.

They are peace of mind. I get that and can appreciate how that makes some feel. The best part is that this is a personal choice!

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #44 of 72 Old Jan 19th, 2020, 9:28 am

Quote:
My fully transferable 5 year addition to my 3 yr OEM warranty cost me about $.54 a day during the 5 year extension or about $.025 cents a mile based on riding 8000 miles a year which I probably exceed reducing the per mile cost even further. So for me 2 1/2 cents per mile is worth it.
You are the perfect customer when I was in the business selling them. $.54 a day is all it cost you. Way less than a cup of coffee. I wouldn't have to discount it at all. You bought the gap and loan protection also didn't you?
post #45 of 72 Old Jan 19th, 2020, 9:46 am

Quote:
Quote:
You are the perfect customer when I was in the business selling them. $.54 a day is all it cost you. Way less than a cup of coffee. I wouldn't have to discount it at all. You bought the gap and loan protection also didn't you?
I never ever ever finance my toys!!

😜

Ed Apelian

post #46 of 72 Old Jan 19th, 2020, 9:53 am

Quote:
Just be aware that "extended warranties" do NOT cover everything the BMW or other manufacturers new bike warranty covers. Even the best ones.

Read the fine print.

Costs? For instance, Michelin Road 5's would only cost me about 2 cents per mile more than what I run. But I still won't buy them. Resale of the bike? Sure that is a plus if everything else is equal. Price your bike $800 cheaper and see which ones sells first out of a group of 10.

They are peace of mind. I get that and can appreciate how that makes some feel. The best part is that this is a personal choice!
I always read the fine print. Every extended warranty I’ve purchased covers everything I need covered. Electronics, abs, etc.

Selling a bike is not always about price and I can tell you from my own experience having an extended warranty has helped me sell my bikes in the past.

Not sure what tire costs have to do with extended warranties.... I prefer my Road 4’s even if they cost more. I’ve tried Dunlop, Metzler and Bridgestone and for ME none have performed as well.

Ed Apelian

post #47 of 72 Old Jan 19th, 2020, 10:50 am

I bought my extended warranty from MY dealer. Got a great deal on it and my dealer has always been supportive. I maintain my bike as I always have ... no need to go to the dealer any more often than I normally do. Any time I’ve used the warranty it was transparent to me as my dealer did all the work and paperwork. They just say no charge it’s fixed. But then I have an AWSOME dealer 😉

I’ve always read all the fine print and know I’m covered for all the stuff that needs to be covered including electronics, ABS, etc.

Also I know from personal experience having an extended warranty has helped sell my bike.

Ed Apelian

post #48 of 72 Old Jan 19th, 2020, 11:11 am

Quote:
I always read the fine print. Every extended warranty Iíve purchased covers everything I need covered. Electronics, abs, etc.

Selling a bike is not always about price and I can tell you from my own experience having an extended warranty has helped me sell my bikes in the past.

Not sure what tire costs have to do with extended warranties.... I prefer my Road 4ís even if they cost more. Iíve tried Dunlop, Metzler and Bridgestone and for ME none have performed as well.
Ed, I don't mean that having an extended warranty would not help sell a bike. In fact it would and does. But again, I will be hard to convince that most or even half of what you paid for the extended warranty is returned when you sell the bike. There are customers that have a certain button that needs to be pushed, and if that button is an extended warranty your bike will be high on their list. For the majority of buyers, the same bike priced $800 less will be the one they buy.

The tire example was just that. Shows that even an expensive warranty doesn't cost all that much broken down per mile. As for tires... If all you have run on your current bike is PR4's, you might be surprised at what the others can do.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #49 of 72 Old Jan 19th, 2020, 11:21 am

Quote:
Quote:
I always read the fine print. Every extended warranty I’ve purchased covers everything I need covered. Electronics, abs, etc.

Not sure what tire costs have to do with extended warranties.... I prefer my Road 4’s even if they cost more. I’ve tried Dunlop, Metzler and Bridgestone and for ME none have performed as well.
Ed, I don't mean that having an extended warranty would not help sell a bike. In fact it would and does. But again, I will be hard to convince that most or even half of what you paid for the extended warranty is returned when you sell the bike. There are customers that have a certain button that needs to be pushed, and if that button is an extended warranty your bike will be high on their list. For the majority of buyers, the same bike priced $800 less will be the one they buy.

The tire example was just that. Shows that even an expensive warranty doesn't cost all that much broken down per mile. As for tires... If all you have run on your current bike is PR4's, you might be surprised at what the others can do.
I never suggested you’d get what you paid back that is crazy as it’s like insurance. All I’m suggesting is having the extended warranty makes a bike more attractive much like having accessories added to a bike makes that bike more attractive to potential buyers. And NO I don’t buy one with the goal of selling the bike but if I sell the bike in less than 8 years it’s a benefit for sure.

For tires ... yes as noted I’ve tried numerous brands and the cost of PR’s is worth it for me. But it’s apples to oranges comparison since the cost of tires is less important to me as their performance. So cost is secondary. Not the case for extended warranties.

Ed Apelian

post #50 of 72 Old Jan 20th, 2020, 10:52 am

Quote:
For tires ... yes as noted Iíve tried numerous brands and the cost of PRís is worth it for me.
Ed, if you haven't already consider Conti RA3 GT tires. I had two sets of PR4GT which the front tire cups quickly at recommended PSI, which eventually began howling in turns, and I've had neither of those problems w/ the Conti RA3 GT. They grip every bit as good or better, are superior in linear grooved pavement, and retain shape a bit better than the Michelins, require zero scrub in and go as far mileage wise.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in