• 5 Post By LAF
  • 1 Post By Beemer tiger
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 2 Post By ebiss9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Jan 1st, 2020, 1:31 am Thread Starter

Garage
Lightbulb Torque Wrench

What type of torque wrench are you using. I noticed a lot of 4nm torque settings so I guess a digital is the way to go, but what brand?

2017 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jan 1st, 2020, 2:14 am

Garage
Re: Torque Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by prz42 View Post
What type of torque wrench are you using. I noticed a lot of 4nm torque settings so I guess a digital is the way to go, but what brand?
I bought a digital torque wrench from Lowe's for about $170. It does several units of measure.

As far as trying to torque to 4Nm, well that's basically hand-tight.
beech likes this.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #3 of 25 Old Jan 1st, 2020, 7:01 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Simple truth of the matter is you need more then one torque wrench I have three. Two 3/8" in different ranges and a 1/2". I see no way to cover the ranges with just one torque wrench.

One is NEVER supposed to use a torque wrench at the very top or bottom of it's scale as they are less accurate in those ranges. At least that was what I was always told as I learned to wrench.
rapz, ebiss9, beech and 2 others like this.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

post #4 of 25 Old Jan 1st, 2020, 7:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

If you were to cover any/all torque requirements on the motorcycle, it usually involves 3 or more different units. For 4Nm (35.4"lbs.) a small 1/4" drive type would be optimal probably in the range of 0-9 Nm. My personal preference in order for ease of use is (1)click type, (2)electronic digital, (3)dial type, (4)bending beam. For accuracy, (1)electronic digital, (2)bending beam, (3)dial type, (4)click type. For longevity, (1)bending beam, (2)dial type, (3)electronic digital, (4)click type.

Electronic digital are generally extremely accurate but with my older eyes and ears, not very practical. Bending beam and dial type have very good accuracy also but again they should be viewed straight on. Click type are my favorite as you just set and click but accuracy is not as good as the first 3 and usually require more maintenance. Two of my 3 torque wrenches are click type. All type torque wrenches need to be checked periodically for accuracy. Normally calibration is done about once a year depending on amount of usage. I check mine more often because I have access to a torque wrench tester......

For more info about torque wrench accuracy: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/bike-tal...tml#post148387

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #5 of 25 Old Jan 1st, 2020, 11:06 am

Garage

This is the one I bought specifically for use on my motorcycle. I hate converting values so I bought a metric unit. Though I agree about not going to to the tippy top or bottom of the range, I use this one for anything with a torque value above 15 N-m up to the rear wheel lugs.

'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition
post #6 of 25 Old Jan 1st, 2020, 12:02 pm

At work they said torque wrenches should be used between 20-80 percent of their range. I don't do a lot of wrenching so a single 60 NM 3/8" drive wrench suits my needs.

Don't forget to unwind the click-type wrenches before putting them away.

Update: the one Pappy53 linked to is the same one I have. The label on the case says "CDI A Snap-On company" so I figured it was good. I had a torque wrench tester at work and checked it, and it was indeed accurate (standard tolerance is ±5%). I checked another one I had it and it was WAY off, I'd been overtightening things significantly.

2020 R1250 GSAW Low
2016 R1200 GSAW Low (traded)
2015 R1200 RT (traded)
2012 K1600 GTL (traded)
2012 R1200 RT (totaled, RIP)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rider2; Jan 1st, 2020 at 12:17 pm.
post #7 of 25 Old Jan 1st, 2020, 1:10 pm
Old Dawg

I have this Wera that has been top notch for me. I doesn't look like it is currently available on Amazon but might be worth hunting one down:
https://www.amazon.com/Wera-05075393.../dp/B00BT0F7JE

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #8 of 25 Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 8:21 am

I agree that you're unlikely to find a one size fits all solution as far as torque wrenches are concerned. Personally, I've got three, two Precision Instruments split-beams (3/8" & 1/2") and a digital CDI 1/4" for smaller jobs. The CDI has an audible alarm and yellow, green & red lighting to indicate proper torque so you don't have to read the gauge directly to use it.

Current Rides:
2016 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
Keyless Ride - Alarm - Shift Assist - Central Locking

1996 VF750C Magna - Pearl Shinning Yellow
V&H Classic II Pipes - Factory Pro Jet Kit
Race Tech Cartridge Emulators & Fork Springs
Progressive 440 Rear Shocks
post #9 of 25 Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 9:41 am

Quote:
Consider a bicycle shop. There are lots of very low torque fasteners on bicycles and shops often have suitable torque wrenches available.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #10 of 25 Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I am thinking of something like "DLC Diamond Golden 1/4" 1-25Nm / 8.9-221 In-lb Reversible Gauge Torque Wrench"
I found it on a bicycle supply company. It is made in Taiwan so it should be better than China brand but don't know a lot about it.

2017 R1200RT
post #11 of 25 Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 4:46 am

Quote:
I am thinking of something like "DLC Diamond Golden 1/4" 1-25Nm / 8.9-221 In-lb Reversible Gauge Torque Wrench"
I found it on a bicycle supply company. It is made in Taiwan so it should be better than China brand but don't know a lot about it.
That is still a bit high range for what you want. If you are looking for 4Nm, you could really do with a Torque wrench that has a max range of about 10Nm so that you are in the middle of the accurate range, not at the bottom end of it's range.

post #12 of 25 Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 8:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Funny how we sometimes tend to “over-think” and complicate certain things. I have been out of the business for over a decade now but in one of my (too many) careers, I was tasked in supplying tooling to major industrial manufacturing operations. I have read this topic and have no quarrel with any one particular comment. Except to say that we sometimes get so hung up on specifications that, if we aren’t careful, we allow it to paralyze us into inaction and delay progress.

In my past, I have supplied everything from a hand held “beam” type torque wrench to very technical PLC electronic controlled assembly torque systems on aerospace, gas turbine, commercial vehicle, and automobile assembly operations. Some of these applications so critical that the fasteners are not only torqued, but data kept and stored.

However, for my own “backyard” applications...I keep and use three torque wrenches. One “old-school” Craftsman beam type 1/2” drive beam wrench in ft. lbs., and two micrometer(dial/click) wrenches, a small one for the inch lbs. And a larger one for ft. lbs. All have double scales to cover the metric specs.

We can get hung up in not only the specific torque numbers, including torque angles... but for me...I have had good results in keeping things in order of assembly and following a few simple rules. One, is to keep bolts, screws, & nuts paired with their original positions. (Sometimes difficult on used equipment serviced by others) I don’t take something apart and throw all the fasteners in a can of solvent and sort them out later. I also clean the parts. On certain critical applications, (head bolts, rod caps, etc.) I will chase the threads & blow out the debris. Tiny pieces of gasket sealer, etc., can cause a false torque.

Another thing that is important is “practice.” If you are tasked with setting a torque reading you are unfamiliar with, take the time to make a practice piece, and develop a “feel” for the torque. I’ve done that and even broken a few bolts solely to gain an insight “feel” for how much is too much. I still remember (Air Force, 1966) the chewing out I got for over torquing and breaking a bolt in an expensive light weight alloy flywheel.

Several years ago, I broke a bolt on one of my vintage car engines. Rather than take the time to investigate the issue, I decided to “tweak” the tightness of a bolt. (Not using a torque wrench.) Instead of a tweak...it was a snap! Dumb move on my part. Turned out that the bolt was a tiny bit too long bottomed out into a blind hole. If I had taken the time to do it right, I could have saved myself days of extra work. (Sorry for the long post. Typing comes easy for me and combined with morning coffee and “Topic inspiration”…) So...get a decent wrench(s)...practice, and happy torquing!

One added note Re. Digital tools. I avoid them because I use them so seldom that I don't trust the batteries. My tools are kept in unheated out buildings. The heat cycles, possible corrosion, and infrequent use has not been good for the few digital tools I have had.
LAF likes this.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 25 Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 4:04 pm

A bending beam wrench allows you to hold a torque for a while which is sometimes important. And they are less prone to drift IF they return to zero between readings.
post #14 of 25 Old Jan 6th, 2020, 5:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen View Post
A bending beam wrench allows you to hold a torque for a while which is sometimes important. And they are less prone to drift IF they return to zero between readings.

Not keen on these torque wrenches for very low torque figures. Otherwise, I love them.

post #15 of 25 Old Jan 6th, 2020, 9:08 pm

Garage

Quote:

I use a Neiko 1/4 inch torque wrench (2-24nm) for for the small values

YMMV

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
post #16 of 25 Old Yesterday, 10:04 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
Not keen on these torque wrenches for very low torque figures. Otherwise, I love them.
I don't know my dentist uses one for the screw in my implants and torques it to 30 Ncm which is 0.30 Nm. That is pretty small and so is the torque wrench.
niel_petersen likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #17 of 25 Old Yesterday, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I don't know my dentist uses one for the screw in my implants and torques it to 30 Ncm which is 0.30 Nm. That is pretty small and so is the torque wrench.
Can't argue with you on that!

post #18 of 25 Old Yesterday, 6:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
This is my Dentist and his torque wrench!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beam type.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	155537  
saddleman and niel_petersen like this.

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ

post #19 of 25 Old Yesterday, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Red face Re: Torque Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann323 View Post
I use a Neiko 1/4 inch torque wrench (2-24nm) for for the small values
YMMV
I just purchased TEKTON 1/4" Drive Dual-Direction Click Torque Wrench (10-150 In.-Lb.) TRQ21101
Reversible, finely geared 72-tooth ratchet head measures torque in clockwise and counterclockwise directions for regular and reverse threaded fasteners
Ships Pre-Calibrated to an accuracy of +/- 4% (Clockwise) and +/- 6% (counterclockwise)

Specifications:
Range - in.-lb.: 10-150 in.-lb.
Range - Nm: 1.1-16.9 Nm
Increment: 1 in.-lb. (0.113 Nm)
Accuracy: ± 4 percent
Length: 8-13/16 inch
Ratchet: 72 tooth
Country of Origin: Taiwan

Thanks for all the information
Hope this is a good wrench

2017 R1200RT
post #20 of 25 Old Yesterday, 7:45 pm

Garage

I purchased 3 different range Snap-On wrenches from Fleabay, and then took them to a local certification shop and verified they were accurate.
15 years later, one of them gave up the ghost and was replaced with a new wrench from the certification guys.
It's very nice to have and use good quality tools.
I'm not a professional and do not need certification certificates, so the shop checks them for accuracy for very little cost.
post #21 of 25 Old Today, 12:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
GOOD GRIEF!!! Now look what you've done! I read your post this morning and later this afternoon, during my dental appointment, I thought to ask my dentist about dental torque wrenches. I asked her how much they cost? She said she wasn't sure but the last she bought, the figure of around $800 came to mind.

Later this evening...I went to eBay and typed in the search..."Dental Torque Wrench." MY O MY...over 3 thousand offerings popped up! Quite a booming business in micro torque tools! (Who knew?)

I'll slink back to lurk mode now.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

post #22 of 25 Old Today, 6:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
I just purchased TEKTON 1/4" Drive Dual-Direction Click Torque Wrench (10-150 In.-Lb.) TRQ21101
Reversible, finely geared 72-tooth ratchet head measures torque in clockwise and counterclockwise directions for regular and reverse threaded fasteners
Ships Pre-Calibrated to an accuracy of +/- 4% (Clockwise) and +/- 6% (counterclockwise)

Specifications:
Range - in.-lb.: 10-150 in.-lb.
Range - Nm: 1.1-16.9 Nm
Increment: 1 in.-lb. (0.113 Nm)
Accuracy: ± 4 percent
Length: 8-13/16 inch
Ratchet: 72 tooth
Country of Origin: Taiwan

Thanks for all the information
Hope this is a good wrench

I also bought a Tekton torque wrench (10-80 ft.lb.) to replace one of my Digital electronic units that took a crap. I was apprehensive toward the accuracy vs. cost factor but was pleasantly surprised when I tested it on my torque tester. It came in well under the 4%/6% rating with very good repeatability through 20% to 100% of range. Can't say anything about longevity as I haven't had it that long or used it much yet. If it does sh!t-the-bed before long at least I wouldn't have wasted nearly as much money as with the short lived Electronic digital one!.......

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ

post #23 of 25 Old Today, 10:30 am

Garage

I recently picked up a small, screwdriver style torque wrench. It's a clicker. Primarily, it's handy for the small fasteners used in gunsmithing.
I suspect at it's higher range it could be used for some of the smaller fasteners on my old Airhead.
Very handy little tool.
post #24 of 25 Old Today, 9:28 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebiss9 View Post
. Can't say anything about longevity as I haven't had it that long or used it much yet. If it does sh!t-the-bed before long at least I wouldn't have wasted nearly as much money as with the short lived Electronic digital one!.......
No need to worry about that.

Teckton tools have a lifetime, no question asked warranty .

My Teckton torque wrench lost one of the two head screws. I sent them a picture and they sent me a new wrench right away.

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
post #25 of 25 Old Today, 9:50 pm

I have cheap Pittsburg Tools torque wrenches from Harbor Freight. I accept that the accuracy may not be spot on but have used them on plenty of vehicles with no issues including the water pump on my wife's Subaru torqued to 12nm that used a copper gasket. No leaks or issues. Had to convert nm to inch lbs. They get the job done.

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...nch-63881.html

2016 R1200RT
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES (sold)
2008 Yamaha Zuma (wife's ride but I maintain)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in