BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

New Yuasa battery sides bulging

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  BB 1200RT 
#1 ·
Bought a Yuasa AGM battery, direct part # replacement per Yuasa for 2005 RT, filled with electrolyte per the instructions. Tested, immediately 12.5 volts. Placed battery on 1.5amp 12v charger. Multimeter measured an output of 13.2 volts during charging. After about 1.5 hours, checked progress. Charger still showed “charging” light, sides of battery slightly bulged out. Removed from charger, realized I wasted $ on new battery which appears to be ruined. Where did I go wrong here?

#13 ·
Regardless of what battery it is, if it's bulging, it needs to be replaced. Imagine the pressure it takes to bulge out... They CAN fracture, or even explode if they are hot. It's hard to identify the cause. Bad battery? Charging method? (likely the latter).

Regardless of the cause, the battery is clearly damaged, and unsafe. I would get it out of the bike and replace with a new one.
-Dana

#3 ·
Incidentally, the case of the battery was not at all warm to the touch at any point during this process. When I say “bulging”, it’s not perfectly straight on the sides, but it is on the front. To be accurate, I did not inspect this prior to charging, theoretically possible that the battery case is simply not square. Seems highly unlikely. I suppose a pic is in order here.

Reactions: Patric
#12 ·
I use the same type batteries, the instructions for a 30 minute rest period are there, I think you missed this step. Also your old charger does not sound like a smart charger needed for safe charging. If you skipped the rest time where the acid penetrates the plates, not good. These batteries are my favorite because you know they are fresh. You fill them yourself and pre charge them which many shops skip, thus losing full capacity.

#14 ·
Don't take a chance with that battery. I had the battery on my Aprilia freeze and leak. It was a total disaster, since I didn't realize the battery leaked until much later. The rear swing arm never looked decent after that.
I also prefer to fill and charge my own batteries. I never do the initial charge in the bike, in case there's a leak. Do it in a well ventilated area at room temp.

#16 ·
Silly question but I'll ask anyway: when you did the initial charge were the battery elements open? or covered?

#23 ·
Not silly at all, to me anyway. I had the caps on during initial charge. 1) added liquid, let drain into battery about 30-45 min. Added caps, then charged. Won't do it that way next time.

#17 ·
Nothing you say you've done seems suspect. I can't tell from your photo what it's showing. Your charger almost certainly has maintenance mode, so the likelihood of overcharging in three hours is very slim, except for battery defect. I did exact same thing w/ mine (same battery for KLT) and I think it charged overnight before green light.

Bulging of case is a different issue altogether. "Sealed" battery still has venting, so battery swelling w/in 3 hours, w/ no excessive heating is pointing to defective battery in my opinion.

#22 ·
I sent description of the incident and pics to the amazon seller, and they're sending out a replacement. Can't beat that. I'll make sure and let it sit extra long next time, after liquid, and before capping, just in case though.

#21 ·
Oddly enough, in the written instructions that came with the battery, it didn't mention that. However, Yuasa's website certainly does. But I sorta skipped that. I let the liquid drain into the battery for, I think 30-45 min, then immediately capped the battery and juiced it. Oooooops. Incidentally, the battery makes very slight noises even while sitting, not on charger and not under load. I would certainly think that's not normal, but I confess, I've never decided to listen to a battery prior to this one. It hasn't exploded yet, but I haven't used it either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.