Retrofitting a heated seat - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Dec 14th, 2019, 9:50 am Thread Starter

Retrofitting a heated seat

Are the bikes all pre wired from the factory and it's just a case of fitting the correct handlebar switch and seat?

Or can a seat somehow be wired on a low heat setting via a switch to the battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Dec 14th, 2019, 11:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Looking at your other posts it appears you have a 2006 RT...

Do you have heated grips? If so the harness feeding the handlebar switches should include the heated seat wires for retrofitting the switch.

Have you looked under the seat for the heated seat connector(s) to see if they are present? If so, should be two wiring harnesses connectors under the seat...one for the front seat, one for the back (items 10 & 11 from the parts fiche):

Hereís the diagram showing the seat wiring:

Even with all that present and installing the switch and seat pigtails yourself you still may need to engage a dealer to enable the heated seat in the ECU.
Heated seat option code is X518; I donít know if the dealer has the ability to enable this option using the computer...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rangemaster; Dec 14th, 2019 at 11:18 am.
post #3 of 6 Old Dec 14th, 2019, 11:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Retrofitting a heated seat

Marc:

Sent you a PM...call or text if you want to discuss this...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Dec 14th, 2019, 11:40 am

Garage
Re: Retrofitting a heated seat

I don't know about a heated seat, but my RT had everything for heated grips except the dash switch and the grips. I added a fuse to the fuse box, a switch to the dash, and some heating elements I bought from cycle gear and they work great.

I'd bet most of it is there. They use the same wiring on everything. It's cheaper and easier to build.

2000 R1100RT
post #5 of 6 Old Dec 14th, 2019, 11:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

In looking at the parts diagrams they appear to use the same main wiring harness from about 05-09 except on the RTPs..(thatís a whole Ďnother story).

If he wants to stay with OEM stuff the heated seat switch is inboard of the grip switch and usually includes the trip computer (BC) switch.

I did not see a retrofit switch assembly that just has the seat switch...looks like the whole switch assembly has to be replaced.

Of course on the 2-piece BMW seats the rear seat has itís own switch incorporated into the side of the seat. I have the 1-piece BMW heated comfort seat and it has a rear heat switch on the side as well...both the front and rear seat switches talk to the bike computer to set high/low heat levels.

The controller on the bike sets seat heat by sending voltage pulses to the seats at one cycle per second...on high heat it sends 14.1V; on low the pulses are 8.5V. The typical resistance of the front seat heating element is 9.5 ohms...

These heating pulses come out of the central electronics unit (ZFE) on pins 16 and 8 respectively for the front and rear seats.

It may be easier to just add a relay, fuse and a separate switch somewhere and feed it off the battery depending on your skillset and how much $ and time you want to put into this project, but with the factory setup you get two levels of seat heat thru the controller on the bike, not one. If you do the switch/relay/fuse solution youíll only get high heat.

Last edited by rangemaster; Dec 14th, 2019 at 12:25 pm.
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your advice

Wisely being put on hold whilst I get the bike working properly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in