BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Hello

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  rinkydink 
#1 · (Edited)
My name is Earl and I bought a new 2019 BMW R1250RT in August.

Hands down the best motorcycle I have ever owned. I think the egineers got together and said, " What does Earl want in a motorcycle?" and then they built this one. I love it!

This is actually my fourth BMW. I had a 1986 K100RT I bought used. A 2001 K1200LT I bought new and a 2002 R1150RS I bought used. I still have the R1150RT too. My son rides it.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Welcome and congratulations! That Mars Red does look very nice in your picture!!! I am still trying to decide what color I want for my to-be-ordered 2020 1250.

#11 ·
I am not even sure what the RT colors are for 2020 models. Do you know?

#8 · (Edited)
My name is Earl and I bought a new 2019 BMW R1250RT in August. Hands down the best motorcycle I have ever owned. I think the egineers got together and said, " What does Earl want in a motorcycle?" and then they built this one. I love it!
Hi Earl,

Phenomenal motorcycles for certain and they get better and better the longer you ride them! My '16 I ordered new and have 42K now and it rides as good or better than ever.

I wanted to mention to you if your dealer didn't you might want to run the front tire on the Michelin you have there at 39-40psi, not the recommended 36.3psi. That tire, at least PR4GT did and dunno about PR5GT if that's what you have, often scallops quite quickly when run at the recommended psi on wethead RT models.

Also, there are two small plastic end caps that I think your side cases rest against secured w/ two screws. Remove them and secure them w/ loctite as they migrate out and you can lose them. And, BEFORE you remove the side panels (the ones w/ the BMW trim pieces in photo below) come back here and read how to do it as they have a very vulnerable tab that snaps off if you don't remove and replace the panels the correct way which when done is both easy and won't break the tabs off. Not sure if BMW fixed these items in the newer models but in case they haven't you've been warned.

Some have suggested if you let the bike fully boot up BEFORE hitting the starter button you may avoid premature failure of your low beam bulb. Some think this is an internet hoax, but I've yet to have an OEM bulb fail and I practice this religiously. The low beam bulb is a challenge to replace, but once you understand it it's not bad and there are very good guides here about this.

One final minor suggestion: I never installed a protector over my headlight lens and within a short time it became very pitted. Were I to buy a new RT I would install this right away! You can see how pitted it can become and that below photo was maybe at 10K miles.

Enjoy!

End cap on right side:

Side panel I referred to w/ the vulnerable tab:

Pitted bad and $1150 to replace!

#13 ·
Welcome aboard Earl,
I bought my 2018 R1200RTW in August. I concur with all the positive comments here. Excellent bike. My second RT, first was a 1998 R1100RT.

Here is a frame farkle for ya.

BMW left a frame to engine mount fastener exposed on both sides of the frame. Looks kinda fugly. I found these plastic plugs that fit the casting in the frame just right. They can be ordered online from McMaster-Carr, part number 9283K39 Polyethylene Plastic Snap-in Round Plugs, 1.74" to 1.83" ID, Packs of 20! It is a snug fit, which I don't expect to fall off. I have spares in any case.

Thanks to NoelCP above for the tip on loctite security for the side bag bumper cap. I need to do that. I have replaced the windscreen and added Ilium Works crash bars front and back. Good kit!

Good tips all, guys!! Thanks.

-Sirby

Attachments

#14 ·
Congrats Earl and welcome to the forum. I completely agree...the RTW is the finest motorcycle I've ever owned as well.

Enjoy your new toy!

#15 ·
Couldn't agree with you more. Got mine in October and been adding farkles ever since. Currently getting a Russell day long seat and hoping it arrives soon.

#18 ·
I know, Andy! I would love to have that UK Iconic color, but I can only work with what I have! The Mars Red in the OP's photo looks a lot more attractive than other pictures that I have seen. Angle of the light reflection, I am sure.

#20 ·
Jeff, Mars Red is retained for the 2020 model year, and so, yes there is a red in the mix. Total of 4 color choice.

I had seen your pictures of yours Planet blue metallic, and that's why I asked you as to what you think the difference to the new one might be! Looking at your pictures, it looks as if yours is darker, but that could have been because of the different lighting. Here's a studio picture of what the new Planet metallic/ivory looks like:

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
Jeff, Mars Red is retained for the 2020 model year, and so, yes there is a red in the mix. Total of 4 color choice.

I had seen your pictures of yours Planet blue metallic, and that's why I asked you as to what you think the difference to the new one might be! Looking at your pictures, it looks as if yours is darker, but that could have been because of the different lighting.
Thanks. I hadn't seen that the Mars red version was still available for 2020. My dealer has one in stock, so had I paid attention I would have known that.

The only apparent difference with the blue planet bike is the pinstriping is now ivory, not white. Wow! And a saddle color other than black may be a special order.

#26 ·
#27 ·
Thanks for the tips for us new owners. I have to agree with Earl, this is by far my best BMW ever. We have had a similar path to the R1250RT. My first BMW was a 1985 K100RT and my last one before buying a 2019 R1250RT was a 2004 R1150RS. I had a few GS and a whole lot of other brands in there a well, but this one really ticks all the boxes for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.