2009 RT Garmin Install - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Dec 4th, 2019, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Garage
2009 RT Garmin Install

Please help me find the wiring for my Garmin 595LM. I got the Migsil mount and am ready to install it. Someone said that the wiring for it is near the steering head. Can you supply a picture of what it looks like? Will I need to splice any wires? Or do I need a Canbus connector for the end of the wires coming from the Garmin supplied mount? Thanks in advance for any and all help. I'm a new transplant from Harley-Davidson.

John in CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Dec 4th, 2019, 5:52 pm

Re: 2009 RT Garmin Install

There is a taped up connection by the steering head. Cleanest install will use a BMW supplied connector and wire. You could splice into it, but I went with the 25 or so ordering it at the dealer. Its a low current supply, so it wont power much more than some type of electronics. There is also a 60 second delay when shutting the bike off with the key.
post #3 of 4 Old Dec 4th, 2019, 8:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

2009 RT Garmin Install

John:

Your 09 will have a connector in front of the forks in the vicinity of the horn...

The best wiring option is this connector:

“Repair Plug" for GPS Power
The BMW part number is: 83 30 0 413 585

It's called a "repair plug" and costs about $25.

It’s a 3-wire harness/plug...you’ll only use 2 of those wires (power and ground); splice them into your GPS-specific harness and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rangemaster; Dec 4th, 2019 at 11:50 pm.

post #4 of 4 Old Dec 5th, 2019, 9:11 am Thread Starter

Garage
Re: 2009 RT Garmin Install

Rangemaster,

Thank you, you are very helpful, that, exactly what I needed in order to do the job right! I will take a ride to my MaxBMW this friday and pick up the 'repair plug' and hopefully get the install done over the weekend. I doesn't look like much more riding will be done this month if they continue to spray that treatment on the roads here in CT.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in