BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Throttle body sync: do I need gs911 or will motoscan app work

14K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  6speedTi 
#1 ·
After all these years I just started wrenching my own bike. Oil change took a total of 20 mins... changing rear brake 35 mins and that included watching a how to video.

What prompted my ambition was a 900 dollar bill for my 24k mile service...what a huge number. I am slightly mechanically inclined(i have a 20 year old zero turn mower that is still running and never been to a repair shop) so I decided to do the 30k service myself.

I have to buy a tool to flush the abs and reset the service reminder and have decided for my use the Motoscan App will suit my needs.

My question - will the motoscan app be enough to do a throttle body sync for my 36k service or will i need a gs911?

Thanks for a your replies. (i did use the search feature but did not find any definitive answers)

#2 ·
My question - will the motoscan app be enough to do a throttle body sync for my 36k service or will i need a gs911?
What year is your bike? If it's up to 2013 (as I don't know what changed after that year) you really don't need anything other then vacuum gauges to sync the bodies. The sync is done over 2000 rpm where the idle actuators (that get locked by the 911) are not used anyway. What you do need the 911 for is to delete the adaptations and recalibrate (reset) the idle actuators so their count matches.

This part made the biggest difference in my case.

Sorry, can't help with Motoscan, I found it way too undeveloped to be useful for anything but reset the service intervals. The GS-911 has so many more functions, I cannot see the Motoscan guys catching up anytime soon, hence I sucked it up and bought the 911 for service work. They do have specials on them in the US, the most recent was $270 I believe for the black weekend.

#4 ·
I have a 2012 RT.
I use the GS-911 for brake bleeding.
This has a feature for ABS module bleeding.
For the throttle sync check and adjustment I use the Twinmax.

With 80,000 miles so far all is well on the throttles.
I hear guys making adjustments with less miles. I've been lucky so far.

#8 ·
You don't need GS-911 at all for any of the regular maintenance, including the brake fluid flush!

Reactions: Patric
#9 ·
Brake fluid flush includes the ABS module for my 2012. My GS911 has the function to properly bleed out the trapped fluid. So yes you need the GS911 or any other compatible tester that will accomplish this task. That fluid in the ABS needs to be flushed out as well. Your statement on not needing the GS911 for a brake flush is incorrect for ABS equipped bikes.

#12 ·
I think a better answer is to inquire with a BMW shop if their instructions suggest actuating the ABS. I don't think our DVD is the same as their on line instructions for maintenance. I also think that it makes sense to move the ABS mechanicals and get old fluid out of there if at all possible. How many people regularly actuate their ABS? I'm lucky to have a dirt driveway so I can each week.

#13 ·
When it rains and I'm on a safe road I slam on the brakes just long enough to engage the ABS module to move the trapped fluid. Also if you drive for very long periods of time and never get into a skid condition you might end up with a stuck solenoid valve or a sticky one due to lack of actuation. Chances are low that this will happen but when it comes to mechanical things sometimes being idle too long will create a problem.

#15 ·
Here is some information on brake fluid and moisture.
https://blog.amsoil.com/does-brake-fluid-go-bad/

As soon as you open the container you introduce about 3% moisture which now you need to use the Wet boiling point reference. Even brake fluid in a sealed container will eventually attract moisture.
I always look for the highest advertised wet boiling point because that is more realistic and it will be more forgiving if I extend my brake flush maintenance for unforeseen reasons. So that ABS module needs to be flushed out as well when flushing the brake system.

#16 ·
Couple of things to consider there 6speedTi:

1. How much moisture is introduced depends of the moisture content of the ambient air AND the length of time of the exposure.

2. The reduced boiling point of a brake fluid will be a considerable factor on the race track for a race bike, but way less of an issue under "normal" usage on public roads, while the bike is ridden in a non-agressive manner.

I am willing to bet that touring on an RT and riding around the speed limit will never get your brake fluid anywhere near boiling point.

Perhaps on a mountain pass descent, where one cannot manage most of the braking with the engine instead of the brakes, it could get close to boiling if the descent was long enough and the rider unaware of all this.

I think the "fear factor" of moisture in brake fluid in the general public's perception is grossly exaggerated.

#19 ·
Extreme heat & cooling cycles also attracts moisture in brake fluid. I have turned fresh brake fluid to a black color in four days riding in the mountains I also wore out a new set of front brake pads that weekend.

#24 ·
Absolutely no argument that it can give you some peace of mind, but that has to be a decision that each one of us make based on facts, right? BTW, just an FYI, the models with the servo-assist ABS is the 2005 and 2006. That's why I picked the '07 as my first RT. Personal choice that I don't want to get involved with more complicated components that I didn't think I need or want.

I know that the brake fluid flush in the servo-assist system is more complicated than for the newer models, but is it easier to get air into the system than the simple ABS? The way that I see it, on the straight ABS brake system, you will have to screw up or get very careless to get air into the circuit!

#27 ·
I know that the brake fluid flush in the servo-assist system is more complicated than for the newer models, but is it easier to get air into the system than the simple ABS? The way that I see it, on the straight ABS brake system, you will have to screw up or get very careless to get air into the circuit!
I don't think so, have done it now a number of times without issues. It's just a probability by numbers, since you have 6 (six) control circuits and two wheel circuits to bleed and need to use a funnel with a plug to act as a reservoir when bleeding the wheel circuits. There is room for error of course, but done correctly, no more risk prone than the more traditional system.

#25 ·
Servo system brakes 02-06, LT's to 09?
I'm beginning to re think the need for actuating ABS in a bleed/flush procedure. Won't hurt but not needed. I change my fluid quite often, probably every year most of the time. Worried about corrosion. I got into the habit of actuating the ABS because it called for it in the GS-911 instructions. I noticed the latest version of the software for that device has different procedures than previous issues.

Reactions: LAF
#26 ·
Let's make it simple on the brake bleeding issue. We all agree that bleeding and or flushing is a given due to moisture buildup in the brake system. The ABS module is in the brake system so if you don't want to bleed it then dont waste your time and money bleeding the brakes at all.

In the end it's your choice what you do to properly maintaine your machine. Do the right thing, use a little common sense and remove all doubt so you can ride in peace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.