Throttle body sync: do I need gs911 or will motoscan app work - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By The_real_hati
  • 1 Post By PadG
  • 1 Post By PadG
  • 1 Post By saddleman
  • 1 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 8:41 pm Thread Starter

Throttle body sync: do I need gs911 or will motoscan app work

After all these years I just started wrenching my own bike. Oil change took a total of 20 mins... changing rear brake 35 mins and that included watching a how to video.

What prompted my ambition was a 900 dollar bill for my 24k mile service...what a huge number. I am slightly mechanically inclined(i have a 20 year old zero turn mower that is still running and never been to a repair shop) so I decided to do the 30k service myself.

I have to buy a tool to flush the abs and reset the service reminder and have decided for my use the Motoscan App will suit my needs.

My question - will the motoscan app be enough to do a throttle body sync for my 36k service or will i need a gs911?

Thanks for a your replies. (i did use the search feature but did not find any definitive answers)

11 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2019, 2:22 am

Re: Throttle body sync: do I need gs911 or will motoscan app work

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcon2 View Post
My question - will the motoscan app be enough to do a throttle body sync for my 36k service or will i need a gs911?
What year is your bike? If it's up to 2013 (as I don't know what changed after that year) you really don't need anything other then vacuum gauges to sync the bodies. The sync is done over 2000 rpm where the idle actuators (that get locked by the 911) are not used anyway. What you do need the 911 for is to delete the adaptations and recalibrate (reset) the idle actuators so their count matches.

This part made the biggest difference in my case.

Sorry, can't help with Motoscan, I found it way too undeveloped to be useful for anything but reset the service intervals. The GS-911 has so many more functions, I cannot see the Motoscan guys catching up anytime soon, hence I sucked it up and bought the 911 for service work. They do have specials on them in the US, the most recent was $270 I believe for the black weekend.
Patric likes this.
post #3 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2019, 4:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_real_hati View Post
What year is your bike? If it's up to 2013 (as I don't know what changed .
My bike is 2011...thank you for your reply.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11 R1200RT

post #4 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2019, 9:47 am

I have a 2012 RT.
I use the GS-911 for brake bleeding.
This has a feature for ABS module bleeding.
For the throttle sync check and adjustment I use the Twinmax.

With 80,000 miles so far all is well on the throttles.
I hear guys making adjustments with less miles. I've been lucky so far.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #5 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Check at ted porter beemer shop, the GS-911's were on sale 30% off. One day you may buy a newer BMW so save it.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #6 of 32 Old Dec 4th, 2019, 5:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedTi View Post
For the throttle sync check and adjustment I use the Twinmax.
So you are telling me that the gs911 is not used at all in the TBS? I thought it was needed to adjust idle and hold rpm while the sync was in process?

11 R1200RT
post #7 of 32 Old Dec 5th, 2019, 4:06 am

Quote:
So you are telling me that the gs911 is not used at all in the TBS? I thought it was needed to adjust idle and hold rpm while the sync was in process?
The 911 locks the idle actuators, but there is no real point to this because idle is handled by the ECU and is not user adjustable with or without the 911. You can simply unplug the actuators to achieve the 'lockout". Your balance is checked above 2000 rpm where the actuators are not functioning by design. Like the name says it, "idle actuators" only work when the bike is idling. The 911 can't adjust nor hold the rpm for you. The real use of the 911 is to recalibrate your actuators so they go back fully in synch again.
Patric likes this.
post #8 of 32 Old Dec 5th, 2019, 8:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

You don't need GS-911 at all for any of the regular maintenance, including the brake fluid flush!
Patric likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #9 of 32 Old Dec 5th, 2019, 9:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
You don't need GS-911 at all for any of the regular maintenance, including the brake fluid flush!
Brake fluid flush includes the ABS module for my 2012. My GS911 has the function to properly bleed out the trapped fluid. So yes you need the GS911 or any other compatible tester that will accomplish this task. That fluid in the ABS needs to be flushed out as well. Your statement on not needing the GS911 for a brake flush is incorrect for ABS equipped bikes.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #10 of 32 Old Dec 5th, 2019, 12:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Brake fluid flush includes the ABS module for my 2012. My GS911 has the function to properly bleed out the trapped fluid. So yes you need the GS911 or any other compatible tester that will accomplish this task. That fluid in the ABS needs to be flushed out as well. Your statement on not needing the GS911 for a brake flush is incorrect for ABS equipped bikes.
I was half expecting this response! Just because you have the functionality in your GS-911 doesn't mean that it is a requirement to use it! I won't waste my time by going into the technical side of it, but will simplify things by asking you to show me where BMW, in their service manual (RepROM) specify that the ABS module needs to be "exercise" for normal brake fluid flush! You DO have the RepROM, don't you?

Just to make things easier, here is what BMW specifies for flushing of brake fluid for my wethead. It will be the same, or very similar for my previous hexhead or your camhead:

Front: https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...lush-front.pdf

Rear: https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...flush-rear.pdf

Yes, I do have the functionality to do what you claims with my much less expensive MotoScan set-up, but knowing what I know (technically), I didn't even bother the last time that I did the fluid flush a couple of months ago.
PatM55 likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar

Last edited by PadG; Dec 5th, 2019 at 12:41 pm.
post #11 of 32 Old Dec 5th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Quote:
I was half expecting this response! Just because you have the functionality in your GS-911 doesn't mean that it is a requirement to use it! I won't waste my time by going into the technical side of it, but will simplify things by asking you to show me where BMW, in their service manual (RepROM) specify that the ABS module needs to be "exercise" for normal brake fluid flush! You DO have the RepROM, don't you?

Just to make things easier, here is what BMW specifies for flushing of brake fluid for my wethead. It will be the same, or very similar for my previous hexhead or your camhead:

Front: https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...lush-front.pdf

Rear: https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...flush-rear.pdf

Yes, I do have the functionality to do what you claims with my much less expensive MotoScan set-up, but knowing what I know (technically), I didn't even bother the last time that I did the fluid flush a couple of months ago.
Do as you wish.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #12 of 32 Old Dec 6th, 2019, 12:26 pm

I think a better answer is to inquire with a BMW shop if their instructions suggest actuating the ABS. I don't think our DVD is the same as their on line instructions for maintenance. I also think that it makes sense to move the ABS mechanicals and get old fluid out of there if at all possible. How many people regularly actuate their ABS? I'm lucky to have a dirt driveway so I can each week.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 32 Old Dec 6th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
I think a better answer is to inquire with a BMW shop if their instructions suggest actuating the ABS. I don't think our DVD is the same as their on line instructions for maintenance. I also think that it makes sense to move the ABS mechanicals and get old fluid out of there if at all possible. How many people regularly actuate their ABS? I'm lucky to have a dirt driveway so I can each week.
When it rains and I'm on a safe road I slam on the brakes just long enough to engage the ABS module to move the trapped fluid. Also if you drive for very long periods of time and never get into a skid condition you might end up with a stuck solenoid valve or a sticky one due to lack of actuation. Chances are low that this will happen but when it comes to mechanical things sometimes being idle too long will create a problem.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #14 of 32 Old Dec 7th, 2019, 9:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
Hi Beech - I don't think that what I highlighted is logical! If BMW did this, think of the repercussions from both legal and liability angles!

BTW, do you know for fact that there exist pocket(s) of stagnated fluid inside on the ABS pressure module? From design side, knowing how ABS works, there should be no trapped pocket at all. We can get into minute details if anyone wish!

On top of that, if we assume the worse case, and there is some fluid that remains trapped in there, then what's wrong with old uncontaminated DOT 4 brake fluid? Before anyone answer quickly about the contamination part, I would suggest that they stop and THINK about where the brake fluid contamination and degradation happens. Age is NOT a factor, otherwise you would see expiration date or use-by date stamped on a new bottle of DOT 4 brake fluid!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #15 of 32 Old Dec 7th, 2019, 10:56 am

Here is some information on brake fluid and moisture.
https://blog.amsoil.com/does-brake-fluid-go-bad/

As soon as you open the container you introduce about 3% moisture which now you need to use the Wet boiling point reference. Even brake fluid in a sealed container will eventually attract moisture.
I always look for the highest advertised wet boiling point because that is more realistic and it will be more forgiving if I extend my brake flush maintenance for unforeseen reasons. So that ABS module needs to be flushed out as well when flushing the brake system.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #16 of 32 Old Dec 7th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Couple of things to consider there 6speedTi:

1. How much moisture is introduced depends of the moisture content of the ambient air AND the length of time of the exposure.

2. The reduced boiling point of a brake fluid will be a considerable factor on the race track for a race bike, but way less of an issue under "normal" usage on public roads, while the bike is ridden in a non-agressive manner.

I am willing to bet that touring on an RT and riding around the speed limit will never get your brake fluid anywhere near boiling point.

Perhaps on a mountain pass descent, where one cannot manage most of the braking with the engine instead of the brakes, it could get close to boiling if the descent was long enough and the rider unaware of all this.

I think the "fear factor" of moisture in brake fluid in the general public's perception is grossly exaggerated.
post #17 of 32 Old Dec 7th, 2019, 11:06 pm

3% is an industry standard. True there will be more or less depending on atmospheric conditions. I wish they used mineral oil like my clutch.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #18 of 32 Old Dec 8th, 2019, 9:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hi Beech - I don't think that what I highlighted is logical! If BMW did this, think of the repercussions from both legal and liability angles!

BTW, do you know for fact that there exist pocket(s) of stagnated fluid inside on the ABS pressure module? From design side, knowing how ABS works, there should be no trapped pocket at all. We can get into minute details if anyone wish!

On top of that, if we assume the worse case, and there is some fluid that remains trapped in there, then what's wrong with old uncontaminated DOT 4 brake fluid? Before anyone answer quickly about the contamination part, I would suggest that they stop and THINK about where the brake fluid contamination and degradation happens. Age is NOT a factor, otherwise you would see expiration date or use-by date stamped on a new bottle of DOT 4 brake fluid!
Quote:
Here is some information on brake fluid and moisture.
https://blog.amsoil.com/does-brake-fluid-go-bad/

As soon as you open the container you introduce about 3% moisture which now you need to use the Wet boiling point reference. Even brake fluid in a sealed container will eventually attract moisture.
I always look for the highest advertised wet boiling point because that is more realistic and it will be more forgiving if I extend my brake flush maintenance for unforeseen reasons. So that ABS module needs to be flushed out as well when flushing the brake system.
Very good basic information that people who don't know anything about DOT 4 fluid should read. No questions that brake fluid should be flushed and change on regular basis.

However, this response is exactly what I expect from somebody who doesn't understand the chemistry and physics of the DOT 4 filled hydraulic brake system! Why change the fluid every 2 years? My caution above will give you a clue. If the exposure to "air" is that bad, why not change it every year, or 6 months, or every month?

Part of the answer is also in the discussions that we had, in another thread about E10 gasoline, where (based on what you read on the internet) you claim that E10 has a life of 3 months. Ethyl alcohol is even more more hygroscopic than glycol-ether of the DOT 4 fluid.

The other comments about moisture content of the air, and so on, is spot on, and there are other factors involved as well, if you understand what's going on.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #19 of 32 Old Dec 8th, 2019, 12:48 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Extreme heat & cooling cycles also attracts moisture in brake fluid. I have turned fresh brake fluid to a black color in four days riding in the mountains I also wore out a new set of front brake pads that weekend.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #20 of 32 Old Dec 8th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
Extreme heat & cooling cycles also attracts moisture in brake fluid. I have turned fresh brake fluid to a black color in four days riding in the mountains I also wore out a new set of front brake pads that weekend.
Your rotors might be worn out. That's a large amount of braking for a short time your pads were in service.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #21 of 32 Old Dec 8th, 2019, 5:48 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Your rotors might be worn out. That's a large amount of braking for a short time your pads were in service.
I'm on my third set of front rotors on that bike & 2nd set of front rotors on my other bike. Braking from over 100 mph to under 30 mph for corners on a bike that weighs over 1000 lbs with me on it. You can smell the brakes after a 20 plus mile switch back run over some of the ridges in the mountains.
Patric likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #22 of 32 Old Dec 9th, 2019, 9:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
The heat and cooling is at the wrong end of the system!

What I was trying to see is if people, or person, understands what goes on in the system. To answer my own question, the contamination of the brake fluid, once it's in the system, is only at the reservoir end, where it is exposed to air. The reservoir actually "breathes" a little bit as one uses the brake and draw in outside air as the master cylinder pushes a little volume of fluid into the line to push the slave cylinder, and then expel air from the reservoir as the volume of fluid returns into the reservoir. The amount of water that the brake fluid can absorb is a function of time; how much moisture is in the air; and the area of exposure to the air. BMW had done an excellent job with respect to the last item by floating a rubber diaphragm on top of the brake fluid so that the exposure to air is very tiny. The water that is absorbed doesn't propagate to the rest of the fluid instantly by magic, as I suspect that some might think. The heaviest concentration will be in the reservoir, where it doesn't matter at all, but some will migrate into the brake line over time, but it will take a very long time before this contamination gets far. Changing the fluid every 2 years will eliminate the possibility of the contamination reaching even the ABS module completely. Some car drivers claims that DOT 4 fluid should be changed every 3 years, and I suspect that is because, in cars, they have much longer brake lines than what we have on our bike.

The answer to the second part of my question will shed light on your black fluid! The question is where does the brake fluid degrades? The answer is at the slave cylinder, and only there, where it can be exposed to high temperature. The black fluid is actually carbonized "burnt" fluid!

The final point that I had in mind to lead to is this: why does it matter if the fluid is contaminated with water and have a relatively low boiling point? The answer is that it doesn't . . . . . UNTIL the contaminated fluid reaches the slave cylinder where it can be exposed to the high temperature and boils!

That brings everything back to being on topic with the answer that NO GS-911 is needed for either throttle body sync OR brake fluid flush. I don't really care what you do with your own bike, but I DO care if misleading information is posted that might lead people into doing things that are unnecessarily (buying a $400 tool that one don't need) or dangerous to either self or machine!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #23 of 32 Old Dec 9th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Quote:
That brings everything back to being on topic with the answer that NO GS-911 is needed for either throttle body sync OR brake fluid flush.
Let me correct that a little regarding brake bleeding. If you have the servo brakes ('05 to '07 I think) as I do, the 911 will be needed to check for air in the system by applying and holding pressure for a few seconds while the system checks for pressure change. It will also check for sensor drift as a separate test. It is not strictly necessary to check for these after bleeding, but it certainly offers peace of mind if both test are passed.
post #24 of 32 Old Dec 10th, 2019, 8:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

Absolutely no argument that it can give you some peace of mind, but that has to be a decision that each one of us make based on facts, right? BTW, just an FYI, the models with the servo-assist ABS is the 2005 and 2006. That's why I picked the '07 as my first RT. Personal choice that I don't want to get involved with more complicated components that I didn't think I need or want.

I know that the brake fluid flush in the servo-assist system is more complicated than for the newer models, but is it easier to get air into the system than the simple ABS? The way that I see it, on the straight ABS brake system, you will have to screw up or get very careless to get air into the circuit!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #25 of 32 Old Dec 10th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Servo system brakes 02-06, LT's to 09?
I'm beginning to re think the need for actuating ABS in a bleed/flush procedure. Won't hurt but not needed. I change my fluid quite often, probably every year most of the time. Worried about corrosion. I got into the habit of actuating the ABS because it called for it in the GS-911 instructions. I noticed the latest version of the software for that device has different procedures than previous issues.
LAF likes this.

Beech

post #26 of 32 Old Dec 10th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Let's make it simple on the brake bleeding issue. We all agree that bleeding and or flushing is a given due to moisture buildup in the brake system. The ABS module is in the brake system so if you don't want to bleed it then dont waste your time and money bleeding the brakes at all.

In the end it's your choice what you do to properly maintaine your machine. Do the right thing, use a little common sense and remove all doubt so you can ride in peace.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #27 of 32 Old Dec 10th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Quote:
I know that the brake fluid flush in the servo-assist system is more complicated than for the newer models, but is it easier to get air into the system than the simple ABS? The way that I see it, on the straight ABS brake system, you will have to screw up or get very careless to get air into the circuit!
I don't think so, have done it now a number of times without issues. It's just a probability by numbers, since you have 6 (six) control circuits and two wheel circuits to bleed and need to use a funnel with a plug to act as a reservoir when bleeding the wheel circuits. There is room for error of course, but done correctly, no more risk prone than the more traditional system.
beech likes this.
post #28 of 32 Old Dec 11th, 2019, 7:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_real_hati View Post
I don't think so, have done it now a number of times without issues. It's just a probability by numbers, since you have 6 (six) control circuits and two wheel circuits to bleed and need to use a funnel with a plug to act as a reservoir when bleeding the wheel circuits. There is room for error of course, but done correctly, no more risk prone than the more traditional system.
That's what I figured.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #29 of 32 Old Dec 11th, 2019, 12:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Let's make it simple on the brake bleeding issue. We all agree that bleeding and or flushing is a given due to moisture buildup in the brake system. The ABS module is in the brake system so if you don't want to bleed it then dont waste your time and money bleeding the brakes at all.

In the end it's your choice what you do to properly maintaine your machine. Do the right thing, use a little common sense and remove all doubt so you can ride in peace.
I dont know how this became a brake flush thread.....What diameter size tubing goes over the brake bleeders?

Thanks,

11 R1200RT
post #30 of 32 Old Dec 11th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Quote:
I dont know how this became a brake flush thread.....What diameter size tubing goes over the brake bleeders?

Thanks,
You need to do a trial and error. I had different small sizes laying around. Also if you have the front brakes master cylinder that has the smaller bleeder screw you need to bleed that as well. Is it necessary? Not really unless you depleted the reservoir. BMW changed over to a newer style without the bleeder sometime later in 2012 is my guess. So if you don't have the older style your better off.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #31 of 32 Old Dec 11th, 2019, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
You need to do a trial and error. I had different small sizes laying around. Also if you have the front brakes master cylinder that has the smaller bleeder screw you need to bleed that as well. Is it necessary? Not really unless you depleted the reservoir. BMW changed over to a newer style without the bleeder sometime later in 2012 is my guess. So if you don't have the older style your better off.

I have a 2011, same bleeders I believe as on your bike. What size tube did you use?

11 R1200RT
post #32 of 32 Old Dec 11th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Quote:
I have a 2011, same bleeders I believe as on your bike. What size tube did you use?
I had small tubing laying around and used what fit.
I don't know the inside diameter of the tubing.
Sorry.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in