BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Barrel / Roll Bag??

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Kabish 
#1 ·
I've tried searching around the site and not having any luck.

I saw a youtube video a few weeks ago where two guys were touring on RT's. One of the riders had this bag on the passenger seat, I believe they called it a barrel bag, that opened up on both ends and allowed you to shove stuff in it. The biggest thing that caught my eye is that the bag had pretty nice backrest on the front of it. I have fairly bad back issues, gets painful just 15 minutes into a ride. I have a Russel Day Long on both rider/passenger so it would be kind of expensive to redo the seats. I thought this type of bag might work out well, if nothing else a cheaper way to see if a backrest would help alive my back pain then I could look at more options.

Anyone have any experiences with these and have a suggestion for a good one to get, my bike is a 2017.

#2 ·
Look up "Dry Spec". These type of bags are called "dry bags". They are actually waterproof. There are many brands and styles/sizes. They are available for many uses. The Dry Spec seem to be more motorcycle oriented, and that is important as they have more tie down options.

One of the handiest pieces of kit I own: D66 modular.

I hated the seat mounted back rests. But I love these type of dry bags laid across the passenger seat to lean against on trips/1

#3 ·
I use a Nelson Rigg dry bag

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/motorcycle-luggage/dry-bags/adventure-dry-roll-bag-15l-detail

The 15l bag holds my wet weather gear and some dry clothes. For normal local riding the dry bag is in the tail box. When I travel I can strap it on the rear seat to free up room in the tail box.

When I get caught in a storm I can quickly grab the tank bag (with my wallet, phone) and the dry bag as I head in to a gas station or fast food place to change into my rain gear.

If I needed to carry more for something like an Alaska trip I could get the larger dry bag and clip the bags together on the rear seat.

#5 ·
Think that is the exact one I saw in the video, I'm assuming that is i a large??

I don't do a lot of extended driving, mostly just commute to work but I'd love to do longer rides. There are so many amazing roads in SoCal to go out and explore on, but my back is just on fire after any extended time. I'm hoping being able to have a backrest would help with the issue. I've found some backrests that attach to the bike, but they are for the pre 2014 and require stock seats. If the Lazy Rider works, then I might drop the money to have my Russel seat sent in to be modified to add the backrest.

Think I'll give it a few days to see if anyone else has a solution that I've not came across, then I'll order one of these.

THANKS!!

#6 ·
I'm sorry to hear of your back issues Kabish. Not sure if you have an injury or something but I would hate to have pain that comes on that quickly on a ride. Have you tried building the muscles up through yoga and/or a targeted exercise program? I had back problems when I was younger but after 6 months of yoga and a strengthening program which I still do, they were gone, never to return.

#7 ·
Ya, I was rear ended in my car a few years ago. Dude was messing with his phone on the freeway and crashed into the back of me. To be honest, I think a lot of it might be mussel related. At first I thought it was my weight, but I've lost almost 60lbs (was about 315 now down to 255ish) in the past 9 months and still have the issues. I need to look into getting help with an exercise program as what I'm done on my own doesn't see to help much lol

I just kind of ignore the pain but eventually it gets to the point where its too distracting. It could be my bars are not adjusted right for me. On my old Tenere I had the suspension done, asked the guy about the bars cause I had put on bar risers and how I should adjust them. He was like "just adjust it till it feels right" lol I messed with them and never could find a "feels right" position. On my RT I also have risers but I've never attempted to adjust them. I guess my issue is I don't know what it "should" feel like to know where I should set them.

#8 ·
I have the Wolfman bags, both a barrel and a roll type. Bought the barrel type first and it served me well for many years, but I finally got tired of struggling with stuffing my tent, chair, etc. into it and purchased a roll type. Definitely prefer the ease of use of the roll type and both are equally waterproof in my experience.

With regards to backrests, I had a Bakup one for my '08 RT and really liked it. When I had RDL do the seat for my current '15, I included the backrest option. It has never felt right for me and I never use it. Even after having them adjust the pitch of it. Sorry I can't be of more help, but my gut says it is one of those "roll the dice" deals if it will accomplish the relief you want or not .. I won't order a backrest next time for what its worth.

#10 ·
I have used the barrel as pictured in post number 4 and it makes a great backrest. However, it will let in some water when riding in the rain. I always put clothes in a plastic bag. I used it on a Harley wideglide which does not have a windshield which would result in more moisture on the bag.

#11 ·
I actually checked out the site a few days ago when the EasyRider product was recommended. Went to look at the site again on Saturday and their website expired so they are no longer online lol Kind of a shame as I was planning on buying one this week so I guess one of the other dry bags will be my go too.

I do appreciate all the suggestions!

#14 ·
I have the DrySpec bag. It’s very good imho, things stay dry. Fits well on RT only issue is that the opening is not as big as it should be.

Attachments

#16 ·
I have found that ALL dry bags ( roll the end(s) closed and fasten the connector ) are a bit of challenge to pack. They are a bit stiff so don't stretch and the opening is small on the end load styles. That is one thing I like about the style that has the top load opening. It is wider and easier to stuff bigger stuff in. The base unit in the link I posted above is like that. It also has a plastic U shaped inner form holding piece that really helps in keeping shape.

#18 ·
I have a backrest that came with my 2016RT. It quickly bolts on to the thumbscrews that’s secure the passenger seat. I have no use for it. It’s yours if you want it. I’m on the road right now but can send you a picture when I get home in a day or two. It looks pretty nice. Let me know if you’re interested. It would ship from Sonoma, CA. I’ve had back issues in the past I know what you are going through. Hopefully this will help.

Dan Timberg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.