BMW Factory Fog Lights - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffdean
  • 1 Post By pkpilot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 20th, 2019, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

BMW Factory Fog Lights

Hi. I just purchased a 2019 1250RT which comes with the optional factory fog lights and was wondering how these compare to an aftermarket LED set-up. I added Advmonster Leds (Model 60 3600 Lumens) powered through a Hex ezCan to my 2016 R1200RT and really like the flexibility this offers. I am wondering whether the BMW factory fog lights would be comparable for daytime visibility?

Also, can the factory lights be set up to adjust brightness automatically for day/night and for high/low beam the way aftermarkets can when using the Hex ezCan or similar devices? I checked the owners manual and can't find this information, and won't get delivery of the 1250RT until spring. I am trying to decide whether to transfer my ADV/Hex ezCan to the 1250.

Thanks for any info.

Murray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 5:42 am

Re: BMW Factory Fog Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkg1025 View Post
Hi. I just purchased a 2019 1250RT which comes with the optional factory fog lights and was wondering how these compare to an aftermarket LED set-up.
You can't really make ANY comparisons because the lights you are referring to have sharp horizontal cut offs whereas pretty much all aftermarkets lights don't.

Quote:
Also, can the factory lights be set up to adjust brightness automatically for day/night and for high/low beam the way aftermarkets can when using the Hex ezCan or similar devices?
They don't need that facility because of the sharp beam cut off. If they are set up correctly, they will not dazzle oncoming traffic.

Quote:
I am trying to decide whether to transfer my ADV/Hex ezCan to the 1250.
Yes, do it and have both. That way, you will have the ADV lights to augment high beam and the factory lights to supplement low beams.
However, I must say, the only time I use my factory fogs is to act as marker lights, so that I can be identified as the 'tail gunner' when riding in groups.

So in short, the OEM fogs work for me as marker /daytime running lights.
At night, I never use them, I just use my Clearwaters' to supplement high and low beam as appropriate.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 9:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Below are adjustable Clearwater Erica lights under the mirrors and BMW's fog lights below them. You can see their difference in daylight visibility to drivers.

goes2fast likes this.

Jeff Dean
Tucson, Arizona, & Madison, Wisconsin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founder, Madison (Wisconsin) BMW Club, #1 (1968)
Co-founder, BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, #115 (1972)
Co-founder, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, #2 (1972)
Co-founder, Wooden Canoe Heritage Association, #1 (1979)
Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Chief Instructor (1994)
Friend of the Marque, BMW Clubs International Council (1999)
Prof. Gerhard Knöchlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
R1200RT • R1250RT • 1967 R60/2

Last edited by jeffdean; Nov 21st, 2019 at 9:24 am.

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 10:43 am

I went with the Denali DR1’s and the CanSmart controller. They work great! Very easy install. Hardest part was running the cables. Plug and play after that. Twisted Throttle has good package deals. CanSmart is made by the same folks as EzCan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
goes2fast likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 2:06 pm

The bike I rented this summer (R1250RT) had the factory aux lights. IIRC there is only an on/off switch. There is no way to adjust brightness manually.
If there is any dimming with the high - low beams, I couldn't tell. IMO they're good enough to be seen but not much else.

Ride safe!
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

My thanks to each of you for your responses. Based on your collective experience and advice, I will go ahead and add aftermarket led lights to augment the factory lighting.

Murray
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 6:13 pm

[QUOTE=bandytales;1929857]You can't really make ANY comparisons because the lights you are referring to have sharp horizontal cut offs whereas pretty much all aftermarkets lights don't.

Interesting, i had not heard of the sharp beam cut off before. I just mounted the BMW lights off newly installed Illium crash bars, such that the electrical wire is up. I'm now assuming that this is the exact opposite of how they should be installed and will be blinding everyone coming the other way. Is that right?
Guess I'm back out to the garage over the weekend to find a different installation point.

Last edited by SJM_NJ; Nov 22nd, 2019 at 6:21 pm. Reason: clarification
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 11:08 pm

Quote:
Hi. I just purchased a 2019 1250RT which comes with the optional factory fog lights and was wondering how these compare to an aftermarket LED set-up. I added Advmonster Leds (Model 60 3600 Lumens) powered through a Hex ezCan to my 2016 R1200RT and really like the flexibility this offers. I am wondering whether the BMW factory fog lights would be comparable for daytime visibility?

Also, can the factory lights be set up to adjust brightness automatically for day/night and for high/low beam the way aftermarkets can when using the Hex ezCan or similar devices? I checked the owners manual and can't find this information, and won't get delivery of the 1250RT until spring. I am trying to decide whether to transfer my ADV/Hex ezCan to the 1250.

Thanks for any info.

Murray
After installing the crash bars on the bottom, the stock lights no longer fit there as the crash bars use the same connection points. I bought Clearwater brackets and mounted the stock lights up under the mirrors. I then attached my aftermarket LEDs to the crash bars which are hooked up to the EzCan for dimming. I only use the stock lights when I am splitting lanes on the So Cal freeways. Between the lights and the black and white bike, it's like parting the seas.
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 8:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

[quote=SJM_NJ;1929995]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
You can't really make ANY comparisons because the lights you are referring to have sharp horizontal cut offs whereas pretty much all aftermarkets lights don't.

Interesting, i had not heard of the sharp beam cut off before. I just mounted the BMW lights off newly installed Illium crash bars, such that the electrical wire is up. I'm now assuming that this is the exact opposite of how they should be installed and will be blinding everyone coming the other way. Is that right?
Guess I'm back out to the garage over the weekend to find a different installation point.
You want to install the lights with the wires on the underside anyway, to keep water from running along the wire into the lights!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #10 of 10 Old Nov 24th, 2019, 9:14 am

[quote=PadG;1930021]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM_NJ View Post
You want to install the lights with the wires on the underside anyway, to keep water from running along the wire into the lights!
The factory LED aux lights (not only fog, the sell them as fog, rain, snow or as a supplement to your main lights) only mount one way, the bracket is on the top so they hang down from the mounting arm, both on the BMW brackets and the Illum brackets. Therefore the connections are on the top, not the bottom. If you look at the Mottorad site there is a pic of the lights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in