Tail light wire routing on 2014+ RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grumpy_Squatch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 14th, 2019, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Tail light wire routing on 2014+ RT

I assume there are many out there who have added an additional tail light, on their license plate (like the Denali B6 or Admore). How did you run your wiring? Did you have to drill through, or is there a preferred route that you ran the wire from the plate frame to the CAN controller under the rear seat?

I was unable to find any YouTube videos that actually show installation, or any photos. A site search here did not reveal anything.

This is one of those things where pictures might be helpful.

I don't know @Grumpy_Squatch, but I see he has the B6 on a R1250RT, so he is one of probably many that holds the answer to my question.

Thanks,
-Dana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 14th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA*****************2015 R1200RT
Garage
Re: Tail light wire routing on 2014+ RT

I put a set of the Skene Design LED pods out back. For that, I was able to slip the wires through the gap in the black plastics directly above the license plate, but below the rack. That wire was thin though. Basically speaker wire.

But when I did the DVR cam on the wife's bike, I did take off the complete tail. The connector for the camera was too big. IIRC, rear grab bars, tail rack, then side pieces came off. I also pulled the tail light. That had a couple of C-clips you have pull off. It wasn't too bad, but I had plenty of room to lay all the parts out.
post #3 of 15 Old Nov 14th, 2019, 10:44 pm

No way was I going to disassemble the tail, and the B6 has a connector on the wire which I didn't feel like cutting off, so I needed a hole big enough for the connector to fit through. At some point, aesthetics and function give way to ease of installation and I drilled a hole just big enough in the bottom of the reflector bump-out just above the license plate. I found a grommet that fit, slit the grommet open to get around the wire (again the plug was the issue if you have bare wires you can just slide them through the grommet without cutting it), and pushed it into place. The plastic on that reflector bump-out is thicker than expected so I needed a grommet with a large groove. I have one of those "Storehouse" boxes of grommets from Harbor Freight with a couple of dozen sizes, so finding one wasn't a problem.

I ride my bike in New England, so like you in Minnesota, if I cared so much about what the bike looked like and I wanted to avoid all road salt, my riding season would be from June 1 through Labor Day. So with all the rust that will inevitably appear on my bike, a rogue visible wire here and there doesn't bother me in the least. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191114_223940.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	155013  
mtrevelino likes this.

2019 R1250RT Mars Red
The Farkling:
  • Denali CANSmart
    • D4 driving lights
    • B6 brake light
    • SoundBomb Compact horn
  • Sargent World Sport Performance Seat (driver)
  • Suburban Machinery Foot Peg Lowering Kit
  • Ilium Works Adjustable Brake Lever
  • Ilium Works Side Stand Foot Enlarger
  • RAM Ball Mount, Clutch Reservoir (w/Garmin InReach mount)
  • Skene P4 LEDs (as top box tail and turn lights)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 18th, 2019, 1:16 pm

I'm not using a license plate frame brake light, I am using a Feniex T3 LED. It's extremely bright and has 40 degree optics so it throws light very far behind where I'm stopped. Its so bright I had to turn down the brake light output to its lowest setting on the EZcan because it was almost blinding to traffic behind me when braking at night. I also like it because its very low profile, with the lights off, you barley notice its there. You can find it for around $30 online.

As you can see in the pics attached, I removed the stock reflector and mounted it there. The reflector is just held on by some double sided adhesive. I had to drill 3 very small holes, one to feed the wires through and two for the self tapping screws to mount the light. The location of the reflector is in the perfect spot to run the wires to the EZcan under the seat. If for whatever reason I want to remove it, I'll get some 3M double sided adhesive tape and put the reflector back in the stock location. Holes are plugged and you'd never know it was there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5176.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	761.9 KB
ID:	155035   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5175.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	656.6 KB
ID:	155037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5177.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	155039  

| Orange County, CA. | 18 Mars Red RT | Many Harleys Previously |
post #5 of 15 Old Nov 20th, 2019, 8:47 pm

I just installed Denali b6 there is a channel under the rack that goes under seat. It's the same route that the top case uses to connect. Under the seat there is a clip also to put the wires as well. Looks clean...

Added pic to my album, sorry couldn't figure how to add pic to the thread...

Last edited by Amont5; Nov 20th, 2019 at 8:57 pm. Reason: Added pic
post #6 of 15 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 2:57 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amont5 View Post
Added pic to my album, sorry couldn't figure how to add pic to the thread...
The photo you added is not public, so it cannot be viewed. Attaching a photo to a post is as simple as drag and drop. Could you try adding it to your response?
post #7 of 15 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 9:08 pm

Trying... let me know if this works...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2646.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	1,006.3 KB
ID:	155097  
post #8 of 15 Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 11:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Squatch View Post
No way was I going to disassemble the tail, and the B6 has a connector on the wire which I didn't feel like cutting off, so I needed a hole big enough for the connector to fit through. At some point, aesthetics and function give way to ease of installation and I drilled a hole just big enough in the bottom of the reflector bump-out just above the license plate. I found a grommet that fit, slit the grommet open to get around the wire (again the plug was the issue if you have bare wires you can just slide them through the grommet without cutting it), and pushed it into place. The plastic on that reflector bump-out is thicker than expected so I needed a grommet with a large groove. I have one of those "Storehouse" boxes of grommets from Harbor Freight with a couple of dozen sizes, so finding one wasn't a problem.

I ride my bike in New England, so like you in Minnesota, if I cared so much about what the bike looked like and I wanted to avoid all road salt, my riding season would be from June 1 through Labor Day. So with all the rust that will inevitably appear on my bike, a rogue visible wire here and there doesn't bother me in the least. Good luck.
Great idea. Now that I've seen how you did it I'm going to have to follow your footsteps. And I was planning on drinking beer and watch football this weekend.
post #9 of 15 Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 9:14 am

Good luck. I was quite surprised how accessible that reflector bump-out was from behind the seat.

2019 R1250RT Mars Red
The Farkling:
  • Denali CANSmart
    • D4 driving lights
    • B6 brake light
    • SoundBomb Compact horn
  • Sargent World Sport Performance Seat (driver)
  • Suburban Machinery Foot Peg Lowering Kit
  • Ilium Works Adjustable Brake Lever
  • Ilium Works Side Stand Foot Enlarger
  • RAM Ball Mount, Clutch Reservoir (w/Garmin InReach mount)
  • Skene P4 LEDs (as top box tail and turn lights)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

Garage
[QUOTE=metzme;1930007]
Quote:
I drilled a hole just big enough in the bottom of the reflector bump-out just above the license plate. I found a grommet that fit, slit the grommet open to get around the wire (again the plug was the issue if you have bare wires you can just slide them through the grommet without cutting it), and pushed it into place.
Brilliant! You, sir, have milliseconds of genius!

I am still waiting for my crash bars to arrive, then I can order the proper bar mount for me driving lights. Once the mounts come, I will install bars, lights, CANsmart and the tail light, using your method.
post #11 of 15 Old Nov 26th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Garage

I did the wiring like this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wires going thru fender.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	155173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring on fender.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	155175   Click image for larger version

Name:	License.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	155177   Click image for larger version

Name:	In fender.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	155179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights installed.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	155181  

Last edited by RT2016; Nov 26th, 2019 at 10:34 pm.
post #12 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2019, 12:43 am

[quote=dleasman;1930039]
Quote:
Originally Posted by metzme View Post

Brilliant! You, sir, have milliseconds of genius!

I am still waiting for my crash bars to arrive, then I can order the proper bar mount for me driving lights. Once the mounts come, I will install bars, lights, CANsmart and the tail light, using your method.

What crash bar & lights did you order? Looking at the Ilium Works bars and Denali DR1's/B6 for my '15 RTW.
post #13 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2019, 9:51 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMan View Post
What crash bar & lights did you order? Looking at the Ilium Works bars and Denali DR1's/B6 for my '15 RTW.
Wunderlich bars, Denali DR1 (pair), Denali B6, Denali CANsmart, Denali bar mounts. I have the bars, lights and CANbus, but am waiting for the mounts before starting install (they are arriving today), and the B6 is arriving Friday. My reflective panels for the backs of the panniers are coming friday as well. After these are all installed, I don't plan on adding anything else, beyond what I have already added (NAV6 & SW-Motech EVO City tank bag). I am NOT falling into the trap of endless modifications. My focus will be on riding and maintenance.

I will say this... The Denali products appear to be the highest quality build.
post #14 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2019, 10:51 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleasman View Post

I will say this... The Denali products appear to be the highest quality build.
I second the Denali quality. I have the older Denali D2 lights on the R80RT. They give good light on the road and switch high/low with the headlight. I had one fail (dim yellow light) out of warranty and got a no cost replacement.

Current rides
2014 R1200RT -12 States, 2 Provinces
1984 R80RT Ė semi-retired -48 States, 5 Provinces
Past rides
1973 Honda CB500-4 -13 States
1971 Honda CL-350 -6 States
1972 Honda CL-175

post #15 of 15 Old Nov 30th, 2019, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
@Grumpy_Squatch grommet under rear reflector
Well... I copied your idea, because it was brilliant, and it worked perfectly to get the wire through. I got the rubber grommet at Ace Hardware this morning, for the 3/8" hole I drilled, and put a single cut in the ring to get the wire in, which also helped getting it fitted in the drill holes. I used one to accommodate the thicker plastic as you did. Thanks again for the guidance.

For those interested, or looking to do the same, while adding a brake light, see attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191130_120609_1575138245685.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	476.6 KB
ID:	155215  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in