BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Pr5oblems with installation of LED bulbs in my 2017 R1200RT

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Booger man 
#1 ·
HELP!
I have installed the AUXbeam LED in my 17" 1200RT, and now I have no low beam and my right hand High beam is on (default when the low beam fails)
I have checked and rechecked the polarity and switched bulbs, bust still no luck. I am in need of some expert help.

Thank you all fo reading my tale of woe....

#2 ·
Need more info..AUX beam? Does this mean auxiliary light? Or A Low Beam replacement?
The way you describe it sounds like you installed a LED low beam, some have found you need to install a resistor in the circuit to defeat the 'Low Beam Light' burnt out as indicated in the way the BMW RT is showing in your description.

#3 ·
Vincent,

Welcome to the forum.

It would help if you explicitly provided the model of the kit you bought and are having problems with and where you bought it.

I looked on Amazon for the brand and all I see for H7 kits (RT low beam) are in pairs meant for cars. I also notice their advertised output power is 60 or 70 Watts. Those are more power than most HID lamps provide that are meant for motorcycles (55 Watts). I would therefore suspect that the CANBUS system on the BMW RT sees this output as out of range and shuts down the low beam and turns on the single high beam.

FYI: My Cyclops brand H7 LED low beam is rated at 35 Watts. That's half the power of what I found for Auxbeam.

#6 ·
tvguy, this isn't particularly constructive. But to follow your off track comments, the Clearwaters are amazing light for an addition to main beam. They however offer little useful light on dip if the beam power it reduced sufficiently not to dazzle oncoming traffic.

Back to the OP's question...

#7 ·
Sounds like the installed LED bulb pulls more current than the bikes CanBus system allows. That means it shuts down the low beam circuit. Which by default on later RT's means it turns on one of the high beam circuits.

You have to have an LED bulb that is CanBus compatible. That won't lower output when it gets hot.

I have had perfect results with one of the LED bulbs with the braided copper heat sinks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.