BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Cover that fits RT?

2K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Kabish 
#1 ·
For those of use who need to store our bikes for the winter months... Does anyone know of a good cover for the RT, that fits well, and is inexpensive? I guess it would be nice if it was durable and weatherproof, but mostly, it's to keep it covered indoors during the winter months.

Amazon has many covers, but it is difficult to determine which ones will action fit the Wethead RT, with side cases (no top case).

#2 ·
Walmart has one for around 20 bucks that I use. Blue and gray in color. Mine has worked well for years.

They have covers in two areas, motorcycle stuff and car stuff. The one I'm talking about is normally in the car cover area. Hope that helps.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I've been using EZ touring covers for a few decades, solid products that pack small enough to easily carry when traveling.

EZ Touring

Not cheap but US made and they last for many years of heavy use. The half cover I use is about $100, other options are more or less.

The web site has suggestions for BMWs, I use the smaller size (#B) so the cover protects my fairing/ windshield and seat, that means where I touch the bike is dry on a wet morning but the trunk and saddlebags aren't covered for easy access. Since I tend to use small tents when I'm in a nice campground my helmet, riding pants and jacket are generally under the cover freeing space inside my tent. If you want to cover the whole bike buy the larger size as they suggest.

#5 ·
The advanced search function can save you both time and perhaps give you thought for expanding what type you really want or need. There are a couple of threads that cover this topic. Maybe they will provide more opinions for you.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/182533-travel-covers.html

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/138929-rainproof-covers.html

Why cover it indoors only?

• Dust - just wash it in the spring.
  • Vermin - covering it makes for a nice home you don't want.
  • Rust - condensation can get trapped if plastic or rainproof and not vented well
  • Temperature - doesn't help at all

What about travel covers? I'd look at them.
  • Half cover or full?
  • Future top case?
  • Engine guards?

Without more criteria, a worn out queen or king size bed sheet will do it just as well.

#7 · (Edited)
The advanced search function can save you both time and perhaps give you thought for expanding what type you really want or need. There are a couple of threads that cover this topic. Maybe they will provide more opinions for you.
Where is this advances search? The only search I find on the site is a Google search that is just an internet search. What I want is just to search this forum only.
[EDIT] Found it!

Thanks for the useful links.

You do raise a good point about the cover, indoors. Protecting from dust could make a good home for vermin, and dust is easily rinsed off in the spring. Plus, I can go out and spend quality time with it whenever I want! 😎

As always, your response, and the response of others are extremely helpful, and greatly appreciated.

#8 · (Edited)
I have this one for 3y and it's been great, though I don't have to use it very often. It's water-proof, or at least very water resistant, has built-in stretch cords which you attach to foot pegs or shift etc. I made one modification with two simple grommets in the very rear-most edge in the center of it, then added short stretch cords with hooks so that one can secure the back over the side cases and it's very stable then otherwise sometimes one side would slip up a bit too much and pop off part way etc. The added cords just guarantee the process works even in higher winds. It packs small and has a stuff bag attached and I also put two grommets in it with plastic hooks and I simply clip it on the back of the pillion seat and against my top case and it stays put well w/ no fuss no muss for travel. Only $49 for this product w/ mods as desired. Oh, and it has a soft cloth that will protect your windscreen so that the taut shell itself doesn't rub against grime that might be on your screen. For my touring I always finish the day at a gas station and do the full wash of the windscreen so I know it's clean and won't scratch when I put a cover on it. Also I just remembered I have the 28L trunk which is smaller so if you have the big one it may be hard to get the side cases covered. I just went half cover as it is smaller but the product itself is very well made.

https://janddwalter.com/collections/osi-motorcycle-covers/products/osi-top-covers

#11 ·
Consider the factory BMW half cover. I don't care for full size heavy covers. I have seen bikes blown over when using them outdoors. When they get wet they are a handful and are not easy to get dry/clean again. Even indoors they get really dirty and they are hard to clean.

Indoors you just need something to keep the dust off and maybe add a bit of protection from someone rubbing against the bike.

BMW Half Cover

I bought this the day I took my RT home. You want the large size. They fit the RT with a topcase MUCH better than the pics in the link above might look. I use this all the time on the road. Packs very small. Put it away wet...no problem. Built in pouch so no chasing that. Keeps the rain off for the most part. But most importantly keeps eyes off the bike. People just don't seem to mess with the bike when covered. I often put it on when going in to eat on a trip.

Maybe the cheapest factory BMW accessory?

#12 ·
Where is this advances search? The only search I find on the site is a Google search that is just an internet search. What I want is just to search this forum only.

Under TOOLS, click on Advanced Search

#17 ·
Wait.. You're saying that "High visibility reflective logo adds safety whild parked" is not enough :D Yes that is copied pasted from JPCycles site, spelling error and all. I would not recommend looking up what the defination of "whild" is lol HAHAHAHAH :grin:

With all the BS said, I totally agree with you. It is kind of odd that so many covers are black or dark colors. I guess its not "cool" to have a cover that is reflective or visible, just like its not cool with gear.

#20 ·
So, this thread inspired me to look for a new travel cover for my RT...one that would be visible when parked. I bought the Nelson Rigg Defender Deluxe in Hi-Viz Yellow and a size XXL fits my RT with sidecases and top case perfectly. $39.95 on Amazon. It's fine for a travel cover, folds down compactly and the quality of the stitching and fabric looks good. The lower elastic is firm. If somebody tried to take the cover off quickly, the resistance from the elastic would cause my alarm to go off. Not what you'd want for a long term outside storage cover, but for what the OP wanted and for my purposes, this is worth considering.

#21 · (Edited)
I am truly glad that you found a cover that fits your needs
So this is finally done,
Everyone has an opinion on what they think is the best cover , even if its a spokesperson for the company cover that’s being advertised ... and that is ok and great!
Now...
whats the next thread?

#22 ·
You didn't quote, but my guess is that your comment is about my experience w/ Nelson Rigg. I'm not in any way a spokesman for that company or affiliated with it in any way. I am a recent, but pleased customer of theirs. We've had favorable comments in this thread about Walmart, Budge, EZ Touring, OSI and Ultraguard among others. Mine stands among them with the objective of helping the OP. That is what forums are for. Your comment about "So this is finally done..." is dismissive. It's not done until forum members have finished giving the OP their opinion of what they think will work for him/her or what has worked for them in their experience. If you're tired of reading this thread (Now...whats the next thread?) just click on something else.

Reactions: realshelby
#23 · (Edited)
if your insinuating that advertisers or spokes person’s are not on forums I believe you might be miss leading others on the threads.
I was just giving my opinion on this particular thread.
Like you, I agree a thread shouldn’t ever be over , every member has the right to voice their opinion at any time.
But, in my opinion sometimes threads get lost or very redundant, its like the old saying
“Beating a dead horse “
I was just giving my opinion and what I thought on this thread.
Surely you can’t take that away from me.

#24 ·
I know some were "annoyed" that the search was not used, but I found this post a good read. I've been looking at half covers for a while and came across this thread, although I could had searched, and it was helpful.

I ended up buying a Nelson-Rigg UV-2000 XL for my RT with just side bags and the 26" WERKS screen. I personally find it to be a bit of a tight fit up around the shield area. I tried a few various ways to put it on, and all of the options I tired resulted in just about the same amount of pressure. I tried just hooking it on the tail and leaving the bags uncovered and it had just as much, if not a little more, pressure on the shield than with them covered. I think a lot of it is coming from the straps hooking to the pegs. I might try to see if I can loop them on another hard part, or maybe just use the straps that are more forward on my pegs. It won't really hold anything down, but it would keep it from flying away if the wind got it. I "think" if I have the bags covered and the front hooked like it should I don't think it would be necessary to use the straps at all, at least till the ecstatic starts to fail.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.