GPS Time - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By MileHiRyder
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Nov 8th, 2019, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage
GPS Time

I went for a ride today and noticed that the time on my bike's (2014 RT) display did not match my GPS. The bike was still on daylight savings time. I don't remember having to set this in the past. Checking the setting on the RT, it was set to GPS Time: On. Shouldn't the two times always remain synced? Not a big deal but I'm curious what I'm missing.

2014 R1200RT Ebony
2008 Suzuki M109R2 Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Nov 8th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Garage
Re: GPS Time

I had the same issue the other day, something I attributed to having the bike sit for about 3 months. Took about 10 minutes before it "caught up".

Later on, I connected the Nav VI to my PC and opened Garmin Express and there were several updates, some concerning DST and such.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.

Last edited by N00bie RT Gawd; Nov 9th, 2019 at 7:42 pm.
post #3 of 22 Old Nov 9th, 2019, 3:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiRyder View Post
I went for a ride today and noticed that the time on my bike's (2014 RT) display did not match my GPS. The bike was still on daylight savings time. I don't remember having to set this in the past. Checking the setting on the RT, it was set to GPS Time: On. Shouldn't the two times always remain synced? Not a big deal but I'm curious what I'm missing.
I was just about to say the same thing. We are on Daylight savings time at present and I noticed that the GPS was reading NZST but the bike was showing NZDST. I could find no setting in the GPS to change this except to take it off automatic and change the time. The bike reads the time off the GPS so something is haywire.
Also my GPS never loses signal unless I am going through a long tunnel but yesterday it lost it about 40 times.

I updated the unit and di a factory reset but still not resolved. I think there is supposed to be a satellite update about now isn't there (apple said their phones wouldn't work if you didn't update due to this). Wonder if someone has dropped the ball?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous Bikes:

Honda VFR800 2011
Honda VFR1200 2012

post #4 of 22 Old Nov 9th, 2019, 6:10 pm

This is an issue with the Nav V only. BMW is working it. Per Garmin Rep the nav V and the Satalites aren't talking correctly to each other, has to do with the year in the Nav V. If you look at the World Clock app in the Nav V, you'll see the year is 2000. Time to fix is unknown........

Frank Brown
Brooksville, FL

IBA #177

'18 K1600GA
'18 R1200RTW
post #5 of 22 Old Nov 9th, 2019, 11:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBrown View Post
This is an issue with the Nav V only. BMW is working it. Per Garmin Rep the nav V and the Satalites aren't talking correctly to each other, has to do with the year in the Nav V. If you look at the World Clock app in the Nav V, you'll see the year is 2000. Time to fix is unknown........
Hope it is quicker than the time it took to fix the silent treatment after a shutdown. Should be an easy fix because it was working before and my other Garmin GPS's are not having any issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous Bikes:

Honda VFR800 2011
Honda VFR1200 2012
post #6 of 22 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 12:57 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBrown View Post
My Nav V had made the transition to standard time and was displaying the correct time, the RT display did not change to match it.
tvguy and alegerlotz like this.

2014 R1200RT Ebony
2008 Suzuki M109R2 Black
post #7 of 22 Old Nov 10th, 2019, 9:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

My NAV VI & '18 R1200RT sync'd immediately.
I do weekly group rides w/ GPX files and NAV VI is updated when there is a new map or utility file before I load the new tracks.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #8 of 22 Old Nov 11th, 2019, 1:14 am
Cat Herder

Garage

I had the same issue with my Nav 5... I thought I was going crazy because I know the GPS updates the bike.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #9 of 22 Old Nov 12th, 2019, 1:13 pm

I've sent an email to Garmin regarding that issue. Their reply is that they are aware of it and are investigating. They don't have a time frame for resolution.
If you contact them through their support page, they will add you to the case. http://support.garmin.com/

Ride safe!
post #10 of 22 Old Nov 12th, 2019, 3:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I am using my NAV V on an old LT so no data to the bike. It does have the correct time but it thinks it is March of 2000. No Issue for me. Guess I'll report it to Garmin for another data point , like they need one more.
Voyager likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 22 Old Nov 12th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA*****************2015 R1200RT
Garage

Great. I just updated both of my NAV 5's to the latest version. Luckily it's winter here. Maybe they'll have a fix by the time I ride again.
post #12 of 22 Old Nov 12th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92merc View Post
Great. I just updated both of my NAV 5's to the latest version. Luckily it's winter here. Maybe they'll have a fix by the time I ride again.
It's not just the time that is the issue. It is not finding as many satellites as it used to. Mine was rock solid and only lost reception going through long tunnels. Now it is losing reception when there are a line of trees one one side of the road.

Previous Bikes:

Honda VFR800 2011
Honda VFR1200 2012
post #13 of 22 Old Nov 13th, 2019, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I am using my NAV V on an old LT so no data to the bike. It does have the correct time but it thinks it is March of 2000. No Issue for me. Guess I'll report it to Garmin for another data point , like they need one more.
Yep, just confirmed mine is the same. Today is Wednesday, March 29th, 2000 according to my Nav V. How do you get to the satellite count view mode on this device?

2014 R1200RT Ebony
2008 Suzuki M109R2 Black
post #14 of 22 Old Nov 13th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiRyder View Post
Yep, just confirmed mine is the same. Today is Wednesday, March 29th, 2000 according to my Nav V. How do you get to the satellite count view mode on this device?
If it's like other Garmin devices, press and hold the satellite bar in the upper left. A new screen should appear. I haven't tested it myself on the NAV 5.

post #15 of 22 Old Nov 13th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Garage

post #16 of 22 Old Nov 13th, 2019, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
If it's like other Garmin devices, press and hold the satellite bar in the upper left. A new screen should appear. I haven't tested it myself on the NAV 5.

Thanks for the quick reply. Turns out I was just pressing and not holding the signal bar long enough.

2014 R1200RT Ebony
2008 Suzuki M109R2 Black
post #17 of 22 Old Nov 14th, 2019, 10:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

My Nav V was correct but the RT had day light savings time on a ride to BBNP this past weekend. Annoying.

2017 R1200RT
2008 Harley Davidson 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic
IBA No. 58411
post #18 of 22 Old Nov 21st, 2019, 4:19 pm

Same results as the other posters. Odd, as the bike's clock used to reset for daylight savings automatically. It was just this last time change that the bike's clock did not automatically reset.
post #19 of 22 Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrenner View Post
Same results as the other posters. Odd, as the bike's clock used to reset for daylight savings automatically. It was just this last time change that the bike's clock did not automatically reset.
The answer is quite simple. The Nav V are reset to Apr 3 2000. We are still under DST with that date.

Ride safe!
post #20 of 22 Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 3:38 pm

Quote:

Thanks! Learn something new every day.

Ride safe!
post #21 of 22 Old Yesterday, 8:06 pm

Seems Garmin have put out an update today. 3.50 is out but only says improved stability. They said they would send me an email when they fixed the time issue but haven't. Will test tonight when I get home from work and see if it fixes it.

BMW Motorrad Navigator V software version 3.50

Changes made from version 3.40 to 350:
Improved software stability.

Previous Bikes:

Honda VFR800 2011
Honda VFR1200 2012
post #22 of 22 Old Today, 12:05 am

Okay yep the 3.50 version has fixed the time and I am back in 2019 in NZDT.
The Nav V was quite picky about the USB cable with only 1 of the 4 I have actually working with Garmin Express even though all the cables could see the drives on it.

Previous Bikes:

Honda VFR800 2011
Honda VFR1200 2012

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in