BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

GPS Time

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  PatM55 
#1 ·
I went for a ride today and noticed that the time on my bike's (2014 RT) display did not match my GPS. The bike was still on daylight savings time. I don't remember having to set this in the past. Checking the setting on the RT, it was set to GPS Time: On. Shouldn't the two times always remain synced? Not a big deal but I'm curious what I'm missing.

#2 · (Edited)
I had the same issue the other day, something I attributed to having the bike sit for about 3 months. Took about 10 minutes before it "caught up".

Later on, I connected the Nav VI to my PC and opened Garmin Express and there were several updates, some concerning DST and such.

#3 ·
I was just about to say the same thing. We are on Daylight savings time at present and I noticed that the GPS was reading NZST but the bike was showing NZDST. I could find no setting in the GPS to change this except to take it off automatic and change the time. The bike reads the time off the GPS so something is haywire.
Also my GPS never loses signal unless I am going through a long tunnel but yesterday it lost it about 40 times.

I updated the unit and di a factory reset but still not resolved. I think there is supposed to be a satellite update about now isn't there (apple said their phones wouldn't work if you didn't update due to this). Wonder if someone has dropped the ball?

#4 ·
This is an issue with the Nav V only. BMW is working it. Per Garmin Rep the nav V and the Satalites aren't talking correctly to each other, has to do with the year in the Nav V. If you look at the World Clock app in the Nav V, you'll see the year is 2000. Time to fix is unknown........

#7 ·
My NAV VI & '18 R1200RT sync'd immediately.
I do weekly group rides w/ GPX files and NAV VI is updated when there is a new map or utility file before I load the new tracks.

#10 ·
I am using my NAV V on an old LT so no data to the bike. It does have the correct time but it thinks it is March of 2000. No Issue for me. Guess I'll report it to Garmin for another data point , like they need one more.

Reactions: Voyager
#12 ·
It's not just the time that is the issue. It is not finding as many satellites as it used to. Mine was rock solid and only lost reception going through long tunnels. Now it is losing reception when there are a line of trees one one side of the road.

#21 ·
Seems Garmin have put out an update today. 3.50 is out but only says improved stability. They said they would send me an email when they fixed the time issue but haven't. Will test tonight when I get home from work and see if it fixes it.

BMW Motorrad Navigator V software version 3.50

Changes made from version 3.40 to 350:
Improved software stability.

#22 ·
Okay yep the 3.50 version has fixed the time and I am back in 2019 in NZDT.
The Nav V was quite picky about the USB cable with only 1 of the 4 I have actually working with Garmin Express even though all the cables could see the drives on it.

#26 ·
It will, at least it should if you haven't changed the time - date sync option.

Also I just got an email from Garmin support.

Hello,

We have released a new software version (3.50) to address the issue with the time and date on your BMW Nav V. Please use Garmin Express to update the device to the latest version.

If you don't have Garmin Express installed, please use the link below.

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

Thank you for choosing Garmin,

Joshua

Product Support

Garmin International

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.