BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Unable to register GS-911wifi

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  minirips2 
#1 ·
The title pretty much covers it. I'm trying to register my unit, and nothing seems to work. I get to the registration page, submit name and email, click next, and the next button seems to have clicked. No email. Nothing. Downloaded the utility for the wifi version, plugged in unit. I'm following the quick start guide to the letter. They say it may take up to an hour to get an email, but I have nothing. Unit is still plugged into USB, and the utility is still open. Has anybody else had a struggle with this?
Edit: I'm running Windows 7 on PC.

#2 ·
I use windows 7 also on my garage computer. I'm not so sure you really need to register... Have you down loaded the latest operation software for your computer? Hard wire your gs911 to a usb port in your computer, go on line to the Hexcode site and find down loads and downloads for windows. follow the directions. They have a bit of software called downloader and that may need to be done first then follow instructions on your computer. There is a group forum on that site also to ask questions.
The site and actions to take are not chimp simple, you have to be methodical and look for everything. After the first time or two it is easy. Especially after you get set up you just need to plug in your unit and go to the upper left menu and find up grades in one of the subjects. Be sure to switch to comm port rather than wifi when you plug into your computer in settings on your screen.
Mine is registered via the process you are trying. Give it another look and see if something has been missed.

Reactions: LAF
#3 ·
The site and actions to take are not chimp simple, you have to be methodical and look for everything.
:histerica

Seriously though, the developers at Hexcode are very clever people. I wish they would redirect some of that 'savvy' into making the app more idiot proof (and Garmin, you guys need to do the same with your crazy stupid complex BaseCamp).

#7 · (Edited)
I have only used my iPad tablet with the wifi unit to reset reminders (edit to add: for several years since purchase). Don't own a laptop or PC. Unless I misunderstand your comment, this capability exists already.

#6 ·
I'll be trying again tonight. everything seems to be fine, right up to the registration page. Click next, and then nothing. Eight hours later, and no email. I tried contacting them by email, and it won't let me. It must be me, or my computer, because everyone else seems happy with theirs.

#8 ·
maybe a problem with your browser in terms of actually submitting the form?

Look for browser errors, and potentially try an alternative browser (e.g. if you normally use Internet Explorer, try Chrome) and see if that works. You could have old Java on that computer, etc.. and issues with that if the form/app the web site uses is Java based.

You can always try clearing your Browser Cache as well.

Good Luck.

#9 ·
Have you tried a clearing the cache in your browser (as mentioned above)? Have you tried a different browser? That would be the first element to try and eliminate. Use Google to find out how to clear the browser cache for the browser you are using. You can try a different PC as well. The unit need not be connected to the bike to be registered.

I've been using the GS-911 products since 2006 and I've never had any trouble connecting to their sites and registering the OBDII WiFi unit I now have. Also, when I have contacted them directly for something they've always been prompt, respectful, and very helpful. If you can't figure it out, ask Hexcode for help.

#10 ·
I had registration issues in the past (not with Hex) where the problem was my email address/domain. It was blocked for some reason so the vendor's system simply discarded it. I have a "preferred" email what I use generally where spam "contamination" in the future is possible. That address was unsuccessful for registrations with at least two separate sites that I can remember. Maybe it's worth trying another email with your 911 registration...

#12 · (Edited)
Tried again last night. I get to the registration page, but no email gets sent. either that, or some spam blocker is intercepting it. I have tried registering with Internet Explorer and with Chrome browsers. I will clear my cache and try with my work email. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. The unit seems fine. I was able to log it onto my wifi network, and it shows in the lower box of wifi connected devices.

#13 ·
"Downloaded the utility for the wifi version, plugged in unit.".

Sorry, but just to be clear. Your GS-911 needs to be plugged into a USB port and actively ready for communication BEFORE you go to the registration page and not AFTER you fill out the form to submit it. Have you been doing that? Your initial post quote looks like that is where the problem is. Follow the Hexcode video instructions exactly as shown and exactly in the sequence shown as well.

#15 ·
Do you have a anti virus software running. Ted Porter solved that issue for me way back when. I needed to add a entry for trusted sites/devices I think.

#16 ·
Where did you buy the unit? If from Ted Porter, he likely can help you with a phone call.

#17 ·
Issue solved! My unit is registered and updated. The problem was that my default browser was Internet Explorer. I Switched to Chrome, and everything worked flawlessly. I originally tried registering it using Chrome, but my computer tried to contact Hexcode with IE. No joy there. Thanks for all the support and ideas. Now I have to go change oil and final drive fluid because winter came early, and there is more salt on our streets than on the Bonneville Salt Flats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.