• 1 Post By PadG
  • 2 Post By Ricardo Kuhn
  • 1 Post By Goose11
  • 3 Post By Rider2
  • 1 Post By Booger man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Oct 21st, 2019, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

Long Ride on thin Tread

I plan on riding a few days on a tire with the ware bars starting to touch. Four days under 1000 miles cool conditions; Am I more likely to have a issue with my rear tire on this trip? I have always felt a new tire is less likely to flat out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Oct 21st, 2019, 10:21 pm

Re: Long Ride on thin Tread

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I plan on riding a few days on a tire with the ware bars starting to touch. Four days under 1000 miles cool conditions; Am I more likely to have a issue with my rear tire on this trip? I have always felt a new tire is less likely to flat out.
Yes you are more likely to have an issue....than you would be if you had a much newer tire. But odds are in your favor of doing fine even w/ that level of wear especially if you don't push it much and are on good pavement.
Geoff c likes this.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #3 of 36 Old Oct 21st, 2019, 10:46 pm Thread Starter

THEY ARE BT T31's ; I like the Brand for 20 years now but I like to spoon on new tires sometimes just for fun. I do not have a new tire but I might have 4 days to ride coming up...
Geoff c likes this.

post #4 of 36 Old Oct 21st, 2019, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

How do I post pics from my Mac??
Geoff c likes this.
post #5 of 36 Old Oct 21st, 2019, 11:03 pm

You need to be logged in with your username/password and either:

- drag a photo from your photo library and drop it in the reply

- click the insert button and select the pic and then click UPLOAD
Geoff c likes this.
post #6 of 36 Old Oct 21st, 2019, 11:53 pm

If I was to count the facets of my Karma Dice, it will very close to spherical by now..

I don't know, now that I have kiddos i'm much more "Selective"
Geoff c likes this.
post #7 of 36 Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 12:21 am

If the wire is showing you will not make 1000 miles, zero chance. And if some smart LEO sees you, you will get a citation. Please let us know how it turns out. You could wrap your tire with duct tape......
I miss read your post, thought you were to the metal. At wear bars maybe not a good plan either. Easy to get flats and no good in the rain.
zippy_gg and Geoff c like this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Last edited by beech; Oct 22nd, 2019 at 1:13 pm. Reason: not paying attention.
post #8 of 36 Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 6:50 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Well how many miles did it take to get just above the wear bars?

I have run tires thin and if you are above or at the wear bar then the question is again how many miles did it take to get there?

Personally with my experience with some tires that look great in the morning and showing cord in the afternoon after a few hundred miles was a wake up call. Try finding a tire in Tupalo Mississippi at 5:15 PM. I finally had a Honda dealer that could take me in the morning and did he hurt my wallet.

That is my knock on Z8 tires. And why I dont run them no warning on cord showing.

So as Clint Eastwood said " You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky today? Well do you punk?"

I hate to waste resources (money) but sometimes penny wise pound foolish and all that.
Patric and CWRoady like this.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #9 of 36 Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 7:11 am

The last 10% goes very fast ( smaller diameter, less heat transfer).
I always carry a 1" wide roll of Gorilla duct tape just in case. My son has got a lot of emergency miles on duct tape two different times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #10 of 36 Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 8:44 am

If you need to question the tire then change it...you will have a much more pleasant ride without the constant worry on that tire
DanDiver, LAF, PadG and 5 others like this.
post #11 of 36 Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 9:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieflonghair View Post
If you need to question the tire then change it...you will have a much more pleasant ride without the constant worry on that tire
OR...if you would like a very catchy statement for your TOMBSTONE...

"Here lies lovable OL' REDBULL...A MEMBER OF THE BMWLT FORUM WHO ASKED ABOUT THE WISDOM OF USING A WORN OUT TIRE???"
zippy_gg, PatM55 and Pappy53 like this.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

post #12 of 36 Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 2:18 pm

One of the more unpleasant experiences I've had was wondering if my tire was going to make to the next place I could buy one. I couldn't enjoy anything because I was spending all my mental energy wondering if I was going to make it.

I'll never do that again. I've bought tires when I still had about 700 miles left, because I knew I was 1000 miles from the next convenient place. And maybe that 700 would have turned out to be 1000 miles after all (oh, well) or maybe it would have been 500 miles.
gggGary and Goose11 like this.

2020 R1250 GSAW Low
2016 R1200 GSAW Low (traded)
2015 R1200 RT (traded)
2012 K1600 GTL (traded)
2012 R1200 RT (totaled, RIP)

post #13 of 36 Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 2:50 pm

zippy_gg, Voyager, LAF and 5 others like this.
post #14 of 36 Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 11:41 pm

Garage

Left my motel Monday morning knowing I would have to replace my rear tire soon when I got home. 40 miles later, a stop for coffee and I see this. It happens really fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190701_141111.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	154759  
LAF, Nil_Time, gggGary and 1 others like this.
post #15 of 36 Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny M. View Post
Left my motel Monday morning knowing I would have to replace my rear tire soon when I got home. 40 miles later, a stop for coffee and I see this. It happens really fast.
Let me get this straight, I'm sorry if I reading this wrong as I always do

you sleep ForTy miles away from your Home on a Motel

why will you ever do that...!?

Last edited by Ricardo Kuhn; Oct 23rd, 2019 at 11:23 am.
post #16 of 36 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 8:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post

I'd say he took that picture before he got home. Just guessin'.
post #17 of 36 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 10:46 am

Do you guys change your own tires...!?!?

is it a money issue..? convenience, frugality...??

I still don't get the urgency to make the tire last those very few last miles, when the rubber get thin some many things go wrong so fast, is just pointless..

I have never made much money and if I have extra I give it away for people that need it more than me, so I use to have a stash of tires (At one point I got about 35 on a little tiny studio in berkeley) that I collect from the shops in the bay area and something i will get a week out of one but it was just matter is swapping the tire, like a 15 minute max without any big machines, just tire lever and a kickstand..

I may look like India but I swap hundreds of tires right on the street in front of many shops around san francisco. I just borrow the compressor to seat them right..

For example my favorite tires (specially notable in the front with a 17" rim on my GS) of all time are the Pirelli MT-80's but they wear out extremely fast, Lucky me scuderia west use to run a motard team and change front tires every race (ten laps on a really short circuit), plus a lot of clients got them "Flat top" so I gotta wear out the Edges, No they where not underinflated, I just love to do front Drifts and carry tons of speed on the tight turns, so much grip so much fun

post #18 of 36 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 11:37 am

Garage

Quote:

He was at a hotel at some unspecified distance from home. 40 miles into his ride home, the tire was corded.... He anticipated it to last until he got home (mileage unknown), but the tire didn't last that long.

This doesn't seem hard to understand.
Voyager and gggGary like this.

2016 R1200RT
2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
1987 K100RS (12/2015 - 12/2016)
1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)
post #19 of 36 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 11:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Ricardo - the riding style and environment here is very different to what you experience in Europe. Many of us think absolutely nothing about covering more than 600 miles (960 km) in a day. The road surface is also different, even here when one goes from state to state. If you take these things into account, you might have some understanding of the questions. I, for one, prefers to err on the safe side, and changed my tires when it was only at 8,000+ miles, when I expected to ride more than 4,000+ miles on that trip. Typically, my tires lasts around 10,000 - 12,000 miles.
Voyager likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #20 of 36 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
He was at a hotel at some unspecified distance from home. 40 miles into his ride home, the tire was corded.... He anticipated it to last until he got home (mileage unknown), but the tire didn't last that long.
Gracias

Quote:
This doesn't seem hard to understand.
to me it is I'm Dyslexic as hell..
Voyager and gggGary like this.
post #21 of 36 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Garage

I'm not sure about the Golilla tape but, yeah, the last 10% seems to only take half as long as any other 10%. Being cowardly by nature I've never seen the plys but friends have and it should scare the hell out of anybody who isn't suicidal. Besides the obvious tires seem to lose air very quickly after the tread rubber is gone, no idea why since the soft, inner rubber that really seals the tire is still there. Over the 50 years since my first bike, mostly in my younger and braver days, I've had sudden deflation (tube tires) and locked rear wheel (chain broke and wrapped around the swing arm). I didn't crash in any of the cases but I'm older and bikes are much heavier these days. I'd rather not find out if I have the ability to safely stop a fishtailing, 650 pound R1200RT while traveling at 70+ mph.

I'm proud to say I have both Scot and Dutch in my ancestry, two groups who view "cheap SOB" as a complement. I try to use all the life in my tires, work like hell to get the best deal and I change and balance my own tires to save money and so I know it was done right but new tires are on order by the time the wear bars are touching the pavement. Cheap is one thing, foolish is another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamram View Post
The last 10% goes very fast ( smaller diameter, less heat transfer).
I always carry a 1" wide roll of Gorilla duct tape just in case. My son has got a lot of emergency miles on duct tape two different times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
gggGary likes this.

Livin' the good life in my little home by the sea.

post #22 of 36 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 3:21 pm

Quote:

Could have been 40 miles from a motel that was 1,000 miles from home.

As soon as I leave my garage I'm on my way home. Last summer it took me 25,000 miles to get back but hey, I was on my way home the whole time!
Voyager, djmellor and gggGary like this.

2020 R1250 GSAW Low
2016 R1200 GSAW Low (traded)
2015 R1200 RT (traded)
2012 K1600 GTL (traded)
2012 R1200 RT (totaled, RIP)

post #23 of 36 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Been in that is the tire going to make it to the end of the trip, does that look like rain, can I corner with my buds stop fast without sliding situation on long trip. Ended up catching a trailer ride home cuz the tire was a goner about 600 miles from home. I used to run my own car on a mailroute, I knew tire wear and flats inside out. Most flats occur in the last 20% of tread life. Take a look or feel how much tire you have between the road and the air leaking out on a dismounted worn tire. It's a lot thinner than you would like to think.

K1200LT gone, beater 1100RT on the way
post #24 of 36 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Why do you plan on doing this? Is your helmet worn out too? How about the brakes?

2017 R1200GS low
2019 Triumph Street Triple R
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2012 Ducati Diavel (gone)
2014 R1200RT (gone)
2008 R1200GS (gone)
2007 SV650 Naked (gone)
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge (gone)
2006 Harley Ultra (gone)
1992 Harley Electra Glide Classic (gone)

post #25 of 36 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Ricardo - the riding style and environment here is very different to what you experience in Europe.
Oh I'm sorry I never file my profile.. (this facebook log in is not the best idea)

I have been living in the USA for almost 30 years, 21 in san francisco, 6 in salt lake city and now in minneapolis (where my LT make more sense..)

when I was living in san francisco I paid my school housing in palo alto (got a scholarship for the school) working on bicycle shops, mostly building wheels since I can take the "work home"

but trust me riding bikes, making around $15 per hour is really hard, lucky me I became really good friends with Kari from CalBMW (rest in peace my dear Friend) and he kind of let me pick up stuff front their trash, like semi worn out brake pads and tons of tires..

this bike today has 362.000 miles on the original engine, Seven clutches plus one I made a mistake on it) original final drive with original bearings, shaft, three transmission and trust me always load it way more than recommended (LT weight if you count the load)

Quote:
Many of us think absolutely nothing about covering more than 600 miles (960 km) in a day. The road surface is also different, even here when one goes from state to state. If you take these things into account, you might have some understanding of the questions. I, for one, prefers to err on the safe side, and changed my tires when it was only at 8,000+ miles, when I expected to ride more than 4,000+ miles on that trip. Typically, my tires lasts around 10,000 - 12,000 miles.
Oh My,,, the Dolomites on MT-80's i will really need to carry spare tires for a three day tour..

In the same theme of "Starving student" I was always running out of all the consumables, but before coming here I spend a few years working on helicopters and building small composite planes, well to the point, Sure On those types of machines you do service by the "Hours" (save the gasoline of the helo, bikes run great mix it half and half with pump gas) but a safety check up override any previous work or paper work..

Yes with bikes you do learn over time to questimate how much a tire is going to last, along the years I accumulate ready build wheels (Mostly from trash wheels the shops refuse to fix) that i just need to walk down from my apartment and in a few minutes I'm ready for a "Change of attitude"

In short they are many things I don't really about (like washing the bike as fun as it maybe be) but i never mess with objects that can interfere with Steerings or the chain and sprockets and brakes and tires for obvious reasons..
post #26 of 36 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 7:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny M. View Post
Those burnouts will get you every time.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #27 of 36 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 7:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

He said he stopped for coffee 40 miles later. He didnít say he was home 40 miles later.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #28 of 36 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 8:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Do you guys change your own tires...!?!?

is it a money issue..? convenience, frugality...??
Yes, I change my own. The reasons in order of most to least important are:

1. I want it done right and I donít want my rims all scratched up.

2. I live about 30 minutes from the nearest place that will mount motorcycle tires. So, a trip to a dealer for a tire change is at least a couple hours of my time. I can easily mount two tires in an hour with my NoMar machine and balancer.

3. Iím cheap.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #29 of 36 Old Oct 25th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider2 View Post
One of the more unpleasant experiences I've had was wondering if my tire was going to make to the next place I could buy one. I couldn't enjoy anything because I was spending all my mental energy wondering if I was going to make it.

I'll never do that again. I've bought tires when I still had about 700 miles left, because I knew I was 1000 miles from the next convenient place. And maybe that 700 would have turned out to be 1000 miles after all (oh, well) or maybe it would have been 500 miles.

I like that thought process, who wants to worry when on a trip. Just change it.
post #30 of 36 Old Oct 25th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadriderg View Post
I like that thought process, who wants to worry when on a trip. Just change it.
I'm well aware taking a wheel down can be a pain with the pannier so low, but they are easy ways to circumvent the disconford..

what about having two complete wheels (that is the way I have done it for 30 years)...??

One with a worn out "Daily rider" tire and then a fresh one with full thickness tire for the trips and longer rider...

FYI: slim rubber tires are just plain dangerous (If you change tires by hand you can totally tell how pliable and soft the casing becomes without the help of the full thickness rubber, upping up the air pressure to around 40psi makes them more rigid but far more prone to explode or pinch flat (look at my exploited tire photo above somewhere)

so you better be aware of the risk involve
post #31 of 36 Old Oct 25th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Quote:
Oh I'm sorry I never file my profile.. (this facebook log in is not the best idea)

I have been living in the USA for almost 30 years, 21 in san francisco, 6 in salt lake city and now in minneapolis (where my LT make more sense..)

when I was living in san francisco I paid my school housing in palo alto (got a scholarship for the school) working on bicycle shops, mostly building wheels since I can take the "work home"

but trust me riding bikes, making around $15 per hour is really hard, lucky me I became really good friends with Kari from CalBMW (rest in peace my dear Friend) and he kind of let me pick up stuff front their trash, like semi worn out brake pads and tons of tires..

this bike today has 362.000 miles on the original engine, Seven clutches plus one I made a mistake on it) original final drive with original bearings, shaft, three transmission and trust me always load it way more than recommended (LT weight if you count the load)

Oh My,,, the Dolomites on MT-80's i will really need to carry spare tires for a three day tour..

In the same theme of "Starving student" I was always running out of all the consumables, but before coming here I spend a few years working on helicopters and building small composite planes, well to the point, Sure On those types of machines you do service by the "Hours" (save the gasoline of the helo, bikes run great mix it half and half with pump gas) but a safety check up override any previous work or paper work..

Yes with bikes you do learn over time to questimate how much a tire is going to last, along the years I accumulate ready build wheels (Mostly from trash wheels the shops refuse to fix) that i just need to walk down from my apartment and in a few minutes I'm ready for a "Change of attitude"

In short they are many things I don't really about (like washing the bike as fun as it maybe be) but i never mess with objects that can interfere with Steerings or the chain and sprockets and brakes and tires for obvious reasons..
k

In the picture you attached to this post it shows (if I am seeing correct) you have one maybe two bicycles strapped to your BMW . . We need to have packing intervention with you my friend
djmellor likes this.
post #32 of 36 Old Oct 26th, 2019, 2:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger man View Post
k

In the picture you attached to this post it shows (if I am seeing correct) you have one maybe two bicycles strapped to your BMW . . We need to have packing intervention with you my friend
You are more than welcome to try but I have to warn you I'm not exactly Slow..

just for Giggles click on the link.

almost 30 years, zero issues of any kind, still have all my fingers and toes and a clean and valid driver licence..

NOTE: BIG plus for a Motorcycle..

I spend many years in san Francisco where Land splitting is key in terms of mobility and having a car is just a pain, for that very reason been able to carry all kid of things on the bike made it extremely efficient and fast..
post #33 of 36 Old Oct 26th, 2019, 11:32 am

Garage

Sorry to go off topic but: I can't say Kari and I were good friends (I can't remember getting anything free from Cal BMW but it will always be where I got my first BMW) but his loss was shocking to anybody who was a member of the SF Bay Area BMW community in the 1980s and 1990s. I must have looked like a moron to the guy who told me, chin on chest, eyes wide and staring from the shock. RIP indeed Kari.
Back to the actual subject...

Quote:

post #34 of 36 Old Oct 26th, 2019, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose11 View Post
Sorry to go off topic but: I can't say Kari and I were good friends (I can't remember getting anything free from Cal BMW but it will always be where I got my first BMW) but his loss was shocking to anybody who was a member of the SF Bay Area BMW community in the 1980s and 1990s. I must have looked like a moron to the guy who told me, chin on chest, eyes wide and staring from the shock. RIP indeed Kari.
Back to the actual subject...

Kari..

Man what a complex troubled man, he send me many of his poems so I really go to see inside his soul, wonderful human but prone to negative fatalistic thinking (just like me)..

We were very different in so many ways but we share a passion for Intensity and INTENSITY for Motorcycles too..

I guess he was well aware how little money I was making since Rick the owner of wheelsmith and him were really good friends..

I remember showing him how I discover I can stick a 3th brake pad plate to make up for the space of the worn out pads and rotors but keeping the pistons in a somehow operating range..

that day he say

"Come ON patineto" (My old nickname) we need to fix this" so he got me a bunch of semi use pads and a pair of rotors

then another time I took a ride to visit him and on my way a pickup truck lose a rear tire on the freeway and I did like a 100' stoppie (Never ABS) and by a miracle I did not fall, It was so close I got to see the inside of the pick up bed from above (I'm totally sold on on SAXXON developed Telelevers for street riding) when the red truck was bouncing from the guardrail crossing the whole freeway in the ditch..

After i made my comment he say "come on let's look at you bike"

He rolled the front tire with his shoe and sure enough the pavement had abraded a Flat spot complemented with "Cat SCRATCH Fever" Marks..

Then again, he got me a "Flat top" front tire installed by the shop and everything for free.. *the Kaselis did not like it at all..

With all that aside, I think he's one of the biggest motorcycle influences in the bay area, he just live and breed those things, but man he was such a cheap skate too..

I still love him and respect him regardless, in fact i admire and respect his honesty about his demons

Last edited by Ricardo Kuhn; Oct 26th, 2019 at 7:34 pm.
post #35 of 36 Old Nov 1st, 2019, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

My replacement tire arrived today. I love new tread and will spoon it right on. The wear bars are still below the surface but side by side you get the feeling you are skating on thin ice. It is great weather here on the north coast for a 200 mile scrub in ride.
post #36 of 36 Old Nov 5th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Garage

Like I said, you knew Kari much better, I only got a glimpse but what you said makes sense from the little I know. Huge loss to the BMW world, at least in the SF Bay Area.

Did you mean Casselis? As in Pat and Kevin? Wow, this really is old home week. Pat and little brother Reggie were neighbors in Willow Glen (still the coolest normal sized garage I've ever seen and a place to hang on Sunday morning for an F1 race) and Pat, Kev and Reggie were frequent riding companions and Reggie and I were classmates at good 'ol Willow Glen high. Wow, I feel like I stumbled over a box of old pictures...

Quote:
Then again, he got me a "Flat top" front tire installed by the shop and everything for free.. *the Kaselis did not like it at all..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in